Cup O' Joes

Notes: From Smoking Pipes website: A pipe tobacco for burley lovers, Amphora's Burley Blend is an old-school mixture of burley and Virginia leaf, adding to that just a touch of dark-fired for increased sweetness and spice. It makes for a well balanced blend that's sure to pique the interest of those fond of burley blends.

BrandMac Baren
Where to Buy Cup O' Joes
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

The very woody, earthy, nutty, cocoa-ish burleys also sport some rugged savoriness. The savory aspect reminds me of aged burley. A small amount of woody, earthy, lightly spicy and sour, floral, dry and nutty, smoky dark fired Kentucky boosts up the blend in an important condimental role. The grassy, lightly citrusy, slightly floral Virginia is far in the background. There are no toppings as per Per Jensen (I always wanted to write that.). The strength is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium, while the taste level almost reaches medium. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite even when pushed, though it does have a rough edge at times. It’s not overly sweet, but the sweetness present is natural. A ready rubbed cut mixture that burns cool, clean and slightly slow with a very consistent flavor from start to finish that also translates to the lightly lingering after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a little more than an average number of relights. Even though it has a bit of depth and body, it can an all day smoke if you wish.

-JimInks

Lord Henry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Henry (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

i do not use filters in my pipe, and i had no tongue bite at all. smooth as an well aged tobacco. typical natural Burley aroma and not too sweet.

Purchased From: german pipe shop

Similar Blends: Solani Aged Burley Flake.

After hearing of this blend (first available in Europe) I was intrigued and hoping it would come state side. As a Burleyphile I'm happy it did. Before receiving my two pouches I was wondering what it would be all about. At first I thought Amphora Original minus the orientals. After receiving my order I opened one of the pouches. No pouch note to speak of and not much of a tobacco presence to my nose. A nice medium to dark brown broken flake similar in color to Aged Burley Flake. Loading, lighting, and keeping it lit was a breeze as is expected from a Mac Baren tobacco. There was no discernible flavoring agent added that I could detect. This is one of the smoothest smoking blends I've ever smoked in 43 years of piping. Not much of a tobacco flavor but certainly not a hot air only smoke. I couldn't detect the Virginia at all - and happy at that as there was no tongue nip at all. This smoked clean and dry to the heal without any heat or bite whatsoever. Amphora Original minus the orientals and flavoring? I don't think so. This is its own animal and able to stand on its own merit. I certainly knew I was smoking Burley, but all the negativity associated with Burley was absent. No woody or spice notes detected. This is a great smoke for when you just want "a pipe," a here in lies its charm. Nice room note too, and highly recommended. I like it better than Amphora Original and Mac's Burley Flake by a wide margin. Kudos to Mac Baren.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Iverson Billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Closest (but not too close) would be Mac Baren's Burley Flake minus the orientals.