Cross cut light burleys with Virginia flake.

BrandJohn Middleton, Inc
Blended ByJohn Middleton, Inc.
Manufactured ByJohn Middleton
FlavoringCherry
Packaging1.5 ounce pouch, 12 ounce can
Strength
Taste

2.4
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

The cherry topping is fairly well muted, but the lightly nutty burley and dull, grassy Virginia showed through, more so at the finish when the cherry partly disappeared, though it's a mild additive to begin with. Burns hot, harsh, and will bite if you puff beyond a very slow rate. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. Barely a hint of nicotine. Is an all day smoke.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)

Always likes this, was the first cherry blend I ever smoked. Burley based with some light and dark Virginia. No black cav detected. The flavoring is that of a cherry liqueur . It's kind of a spicy cherry, and not too tart. Bite is minimal if smoked normal. It stays cool and is a good everyday smoke. It is a bit moist out of the tin. Put some in a pouch and let it sit out of pocket for a day or two. I can smoke it right from the tin though and still enjoy it. It has a good taste and the aroma is pleasing. Only thing is it does smell better when someone else smokes it. The smoker can smell its aroma, but it's more pipes than cherry. Others will notice it though. The aroma and taste is better than Paladin. More going on with this blend. I like it for a change of pace and for nostalgia. I always keep a tin on hand and it's still available. I don't know if this was put out of production ? My local shop says no ? He still gets this and walnut ? I actually stocked up on both, I'd hate to see these vanish forever.

Update ! Just bought a 12 oz can of this, Its slightly different than before. Lighter cased, less of the pronounced cherry aroma that it used to have. Its kind of a shame because it was the most unique cherry. At the same time it's more simplified now, more of a cherry burley. I don't detect the Virginia like it used to have, it seems all burley now. Not a bad thing, but not the same either. Why can't companies leave well enough alone ? If the back of your tin says Limerick. Pa. Its the new stuff. If it says Ki ng. Of Prussia, pa it's the original. Its not discontinued, just locally distributed, this is what v I was told. Also they may be bringing back Hickory as well but I bet that too will be changed. One less star for not leaving it the way it was !

Pipe Used: cobs, briar

Similar Blends: Nothing ! A one of a kind cherry !, Apple is the same with Apple topping..

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I hadn't smoked Cherry Blend for years, but picked up a 12 oz tub a few weeks ago at a grocery store because it sported a big orange $3.99 price tag. This was never a regular smoke for me—and won't be in the future—but I think it's a pretty solid blend.

The reason Cherry Blend never became a regular for me is because it is very reminiscent of other Middleton products—especially Prince Albert. I like Prince Albert just fine. Cherry Blend tastes like Prince Albert with a very light topping that reminds me of cotton candy. If I smoke two bowls in a row, I don't even notice the topping on the second bowl. It's just a fairly pleasant, hazel-nutty Burley. That's how mild and subtle it is.

Cherry Blend will never replace my preferred tubs of Burley—Prince Albert, Kentucky Club Continental, Carter Hall—but if I see another tub for 4 bucks, I'll probably pick it up.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)

Like many, this was one of the first pipe tobaccos and perhaps the first I smoked when I started smoking a pipe in 1967. All I recall is that it bit like a mongoose. I suppose that was because I was a cigarette smoker and simply had no idea how to smoke a pipe in the first place.

I have been smoking traditional American burleys almost exclusively as of late and am especially fond of Middleton products. After reading the reviews, I just had to have some. I was unable to find any sold in a pouch so I ordered a tub. In for a penny, in for a pound.

The pouch note was extremely mild but definitely cherry. The tobacco is neither wet nor dry but actually is perfect. The cut is like Grape Nuts cereal but a flake.

I haven't hit on any cherry flavor in the smoke except the feeling in my mouth I get when eating sour apple hard candy. Very nice tartness. There is nothing heavy about the tobacco; just nice light burley. The label says it is "Zesty" and that pretty well nails it.

I'm a pretty moderate puffer so bite is no problem. It burns a bit fast but not hot. If I want a long smoke I just fill the pipe up again and continue. No ashy taste toward the bottom and no goop in the pipe.

I've smoked it in a Peterson Dublin brier and a couple of cobs. I prefer the cob for this - actually I've come to prefer cobs to briers generally. All the money I've spent on briers over the years and end up preferring cobs. Who would have guessed?

As to the rating, I give it a solid three; this is a tobacco that burley lovers should at least give a try. This tobacco is mild in every way and very pleasant and refreshing.

Update: I can't stop smoking this stuff. I now prefer it over Sugar Barrel as it is more refreshing and I love the zestiness and clean aftertaste. Also, I get zero bite from it. I'm giving it an extra star as an all day tobacco.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)

John Middleton Cherry Blend has been around since before Noah's flood. Although the canister has recently been discontinued, it continues to be a good seller in the pouch. It is also available as a little cigar, and it sells well in that format. In fact I would not be surprised if more cherry blend goes up in smoke in little cigars than from pipe bowls.

When I took up the pipe over a half century ago Cherry Blend was very chunky and smoked cool--that is if you could keep it lit. Then the chunks were diminished in size. Cherry blend today burns easily, but if puffed vigorously it smokes fast and bitey. Smoked gently it does not bite, and you can keep it going with a restrained puff regimen. Hold the pipe in you hand when you smoke this rather than clenching it in your teeth, a habit that tends to induce rapid puffing.

Sniff the opened pouch and you will encounter a very light cherry aroma. Light up and you will find a very light aromatic taste which does not totally obscure the tobacco. Without the name Cherry Blend on the pouch you would have a hard time discerning that flavor.

Likewise the room note is slightly aromatic, but again you would be hard pressed to guess that the flavoring is cherry. The room note is pleasant enough, not overly sweet, but it is not the kind that elicits positive comments from non smokers.

The tobacco is mostly small chunks of burley with a sprinkling of snow flake shaped bits of Virginia. The nicotine is only medium, rather light for a burley forward blend. The price is in the medium range of OTC's.

Over the decades of my pipe smoking I have known several people who happily smoked Cherry Blend exclusively. If I smoked it exclusively, I think it would bore me to tears. But smoked as a change of peace utility mixture I enjoy Cherry Blend very much. As it is so widely available I tend to buy it more often than some other tobaccos that are really better smokes.

I usually puff this in my cheaper pipes which I use only for aromatics. But the aromatic note of Cherry Blend is light enough that it will not ghost a pipe if smoked only as a change of pace. It will ghost if smoked repeatedly in the same pipe.

northernpiper31 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
northernpiper31 (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

tobacco searchers here is the honest review for cherry blend. This tobacco is a burley, and it has a light cherry flavor, I am a burley smoker and I enjoy this tobacco often. This blend is just a standard burley with a little cherry topping. Now this blend will bite if you cheef, I myself have only had tongue bite once but I was smoking it on a wiindy day, this is a good blend to atleast try. Remember every palate is different.

Similar Blends: Many other "over the counter" blends.

Dr. G Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. G (15)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

One of the more enjoyable blends encountered during my ongoing tour of the "drug store" tobaccos. This one really takes me back to my earliest memories of the pipers of my old neighborhood. My parents were considerably younger that all of our neighbors, and literally all of the older men would sit around in the evening smoking pipes which I greatly enjoyed. This one and Half & Half were ubiquitous with the "old guard". Indeed, the room note of Cherry Blend is not only one of first tobaccos I remember, but it is one of my first memories period - its that memorable and pervasive. After trying a dozen or more cherry blends, I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of cherry-infused tobaccos. That said, I found this to be largely enjoyable and easy to smoke. My example came in a 1.5 ounce pouch. Moisture was just right. Pouch aroma was unmistakably cherry, though not overwhelmingly so. Appearance was lighter and darker brown flakes giving the look of a burley/Virginia rather that the darker cavendish. Packing and lighting characteristics are excellent - a standard 3-part packing, one charring light, and it was off to the races. Good burley-forward tobacco flavor smoothed out by the cavendish. Here's where it gets confusing - as distinct as the pouch aroma is, you really have to search for the cherry flavor which is a pleasant surprise. No tongue bite at a slow cadence. Room note is delightful - nostalgic bias notwithstanding. At five bucks, its a steal. Of all the cherry blends, this is a front runner for great value, easy smoking, and that one- of-a-kind room note. Recommended

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)

Well, wanted to try this before it was gone since it was put out of production. This leaf is kinda neat. Upon opening the middleton pouch arrangement and was struck by a strong cherry candy smell. Not mediciny mind you, but strong, I could barely smell the burley. On lightning and enjoying the bowl though the opposite was achieved, a light nutty burley ( of the middleton variety, which I like) with only the slightest hint of cherry. Where did the scent go? In the roomnote which is pleasant burley cherry scent. It burned like other middleton products, fully, and a bit quick. No mess in the pipe like most aro's. Bite? You could make it bite, but then you have to be trying. Shame it's gone away, not some super fantastic aromatic but as with Carter Hall and the Prince a solid porch sitter, all day smoke with a bit of cherry.

Pipe Used: Clay, Cob

Age When Smoked: From newly bought package

I bought a couple of pouches of this I found in an Admiral tobacco store in Michigan. It is no longer in production, and I wanted to try it. The tobacco itself looks like a slightly darker Carter Hall with a sweet smell that is a little nondescript. If someone told me it was cotton candy, I would believe that was the intent, but it is not exactly cotton candy. I can believe it is supposed to be cherry, but in a blind test, I would not identify it as cherry. It came at a good moisture for smoking.

This smoked like a slightly sweeter version of Carter Hall. The topping was mostly gone after the first third of the bowl. It was again a nondescript sweet. Once the topping was gone, it smoked a little like Carter Hall with a slightly tart quality when puffed. There was some nutty burley and a little sour. The Virginias present as some hay.

It was an easy smoke, and I could codger scoop in the car and puff mindlessly without giving it too much attention. It was pleasant, but it never evoked any "wow!"'s. It was good enough for back to back bowls. The flavor and strength were both mild.

This is easy to recommend if you see it on a shelf. It is a lightly topped VaBur that is a good OTC. I prefer Carter Hall and Prince Albert, but that is just me. If this were all I had to smoke, I would be grateful and smoke a lot of it. This is a 2.5 on the scale for me.

Danno44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno44 (8)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

An old classic I had to try and wanted to like. The tin (pouch) note of the cherry flavoring reminded me of being a kid and the smell of the old style cherry cough drops. Unfortunately it doesn't taste like the cough drops did. I get some of the cherry flavor, but not a lot. I do however get a harsh chemical taste, very unpleasant. The tobacco appears to be a low grade burley. With very little nicotine. This will bite and bite hard if not careful. It lights ok, but appears to burns hot, no matter what pipe or cadence, which I attribute to the Cherry topping. Room note is very pleasant I've been told, and only wished it tasted as good as the note it leaves behind. For an OTC blend it's on the bottom for me. The burley is just ok, pretty forgettable actually compared to other OTC burleys much are better in taste to me. I know some folks love this blend, be it from days gone by with dad or gramps or the first baccy they smoked. I enjoy some aromatic tobaccos, but this is not one of them. I think every tobacco is worth trying but this one falls into the "I tried it, I'm good" category with no cellaring plans.

Pipe Used: MM Cobs of various styles, Dr. Grand Duke

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My good friend D gifted me a pouch of this. Thanks bro.

I actually found myself enjoying the simplicity of this blend, much to my surprise. The cherry is lightly applied and burns off around mid-way leaving a decent tasting VaBur. The Bur provides a little more flavor than the Va. I get no bite and it burns fairly cool and even. This will do in a pinch. Not bad at all. It's about a 2.5 for me and I'm feeling generous today so 3 stars it is

Mild in body. Very mild in flavoring. Mild to medium in taste.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

Purchased From: gifted

This is my favorite Cherry Aromatic, but it still is not good. :(

I have only had three other cherries and have really sworn off buying them, but was given this healthy sample from a forum friend who was not too fond of it. My other experiences are a Store bulk cherry Cavendish, Sutliffe Gallery Wild Cherry and McClelland Three Cherry. All three of them overwhelmed me with an overpowering artificial cherry taste that disgusted me from the start and never abated.

This one is different in that the cherry flavor is more reserved and it allows the tobacco to come through a bit. It is like a lightly flavored Carter Hall. And it may very well be, but I would much rather have the Carter Hall without the flavoring. To me, this blend isn't too much different than a cheap cherry flavored cigar you would get at the corner gas station.

So this is somewhat recommended by me, but Don't think that I actually like it. I am sending the remaining amount of my sample to Scotland today to let another forum buddy gain his own impression of it.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (94)

it was given me by Clarkus (Steve, thanks again), he told me it’s perfect for summer so I planned to preserve it for the warm season but … a fight against curiosity is a hard thing! Cherry has been a pleasant surprise, the pouch smell is heavenly: cherry of course, and something else that I can’t describe but the whole effect is very pleasant, the taste is fresh and slightly sweet but not cloying, the base tobacco is mild and pleasant. Bites? Honestly I haven't experienced any bite, may be a personal chemistry or a cadence on puffing. Thumbs up!

Pipe Used: briars, cob

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A contender to Borkum Riff for world's worst pipe tobacco.

Having just smoked Top Black Cherry from G&H and thinking that it might remove my bias against cherry blends, I finally popped the pouch of this I've had in my cellar for a couple of years. Unfortunately, this one doesn't make its case nearly as powerfully as TBC.

Mostly burley with a bit of sweetening, the flavor wasn't the problem with this one, it was the bite. With a gallant effort, I was able to keep the sting to a reasonable level but it still diminished the overall experience greatly. The "cherry" flavor was more of a sweetener, and I didn't taste coffee or whiskey, but there was something else in there... perhaps a hazelnut or something? Couldn't put my finger on it. It was hard to taste beyond the sizzle. For my tastes, this was a one-star blend but I gave it two because if it hadn't bitten me, I get the impression that the flavor was pretty decent... and if not, at least it wasn't a goopy mess like many aromatic blenders seem to like to produce. Closer to SWRA than to a pipeshop bulk cherry blend. The flavor seemed closer to actual cherries than to frosted cherry poptarts. Worth a try if you can tame the bite or, probably more appropriately, if your body chemistry is compliant.

The first tobaccoreviews.com review for 2011 and a Happy New Year to you all!

I smoked this on and off during my early piper days and always found it to be a pleasant experience. Nice tobacco pouch aroma; very subtle on the cherry. Always lit well and smoked without bite. No moisture, no goop, no mess. always clean by the bowl's end. Never was there a negative comment when I smoked it in mixed company. On the contrary, I always received the highest of compliments, especially, "It smells just like my grandfather's pipe used to smell." Good, old-fashioned tobacco taste. One of the great American drug store blends. I always liked tobacco packaged in a foil wrapper within a box. Thewre's something very nostalgic about it.

Take care in filling your pipe and smoke it slowly. You will be pleasantly surprised. For me at present, always a nice change of pace smoke, and good for reflecting on the years that have gone by.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Cherry Bld… Having at one time or other, smoked most drug store blends, my memory of Cherry blend (late 1960's) was at the very least, an agreeable smoke, certainly not deserving all the negative reviews found on this site. Could it have changed that much? So to satisfy my curiosity I bought a fresh pouch, containing today's product to find out. Reading the box this baccy came in, there is no mention of this being a aromatic, and the only mention of anything cherry, is its name. Sounds to me the idea of this stuff being a goopy, heavy cherry aromatic, is simply not the case. What I did find, was a blend where the somewhat strong tobaccos, provide the dominate taste, with a mild cherry casting, that only slightly shows up in the smoke taste. Sounds like the description of a good smoke to me.

After smoking this baccy in a variety of pipes I found the simple cob, the way to go. Briars seem to bring out a stronger tobacco taste, at the cost of the many delicate flavors this blend is capable of. The secret to these delicate flavors, is no secret at all, no different than smoking a fine Virginia for example, sip and taste, sip and taste. Nothing new there, just SOP with most blends.. I smoked bowl after bowl of this stuff, to get a good feel for this blend, and found it to be bite free. Not saying an aggressive puffer won't get bit, but I experienced none. Light up and burn was typical of a burley blend, easy light up, lots of smoke, and stays lit, to just short of total tobacco consumption, leaving only some ash and a few charred flakes to clean out, no wet goop, no special clean up. or for that matter no moisture at all. Bottom line; You do your part in smoking this old timer, it will provide you with a real decent smoke, as it has been doing for decades. Chronic complainers need not apply. 3 stars

Jjgerv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jjgerv (20)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This opinion is based on a 7 oz tube of the 80s.

They say that this is the "non-aromatic" aromatic. They are right! Almost pure burley, which does not seem of the best quality, with a very subtle aroma of cherry. It burns evenly, it can bite. The smoke is nice but nothing exceptional here. There are better burleys and certainly a lot better aromatics.

Maybe it satisfies burley lovers, but I do not think it's for fans of quality aromatics

Tjbjr18 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tjbjr18 (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Tried this blend when I first started smoking a pipe found it very unpleasant at the time however after 14 years of experience I find this to be my favorite cherry blend now because of what I've learned about puffin too hard this is not a blend to Puff on real hard and fast it does not have a medicinal cherry flavor like most of the Cherry Blends I've tried it's got a real gentle tart type of cherry flavor that's very pleasant has a fairly good room note and is very affordable and readily available I highly recommend this to anybody that don't want a medicinal cherry blend that bites like most of them that I've tried will keep this one in my stock

Pipe Used: Stillwell. Natural cob Savinelli

Purchased From: Walgreens

Assassin1999 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Assassin1999 (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I like it! It has a light cherry flavor and is a little damp, but doesn't take much effort to stay lit. It bites if you puff too much, but overall a good smoke now and then. Nice aroma.

Pipe Used: Briar, Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: New from pouch

Purchased From: local tobacconist

Similar Blends: Don't expect an earth shattering experience, but is reliable for a good smoke..

CnS Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CnS Pipes (40)

Middletons Cherry Blend Pipe Tobacco I am 39 years old and I have been blending pipe tobacco for over ten years and even sold my blends to a couple tobaccoshops for awhile but now I'm carving pipes, I have smoked hundred's of pipe tobacco blends from Mac Baren to Dan's to my own and countless other's point being this is the very first time I have ever bought and smoked a Middleton product besides smoking a few Black n Milds when I was much younger (not that I'm a old fart) loland I'm smoking the stuff right now to be accurate on my description. First off I am not a cherry fan at all I didn't even go there with my blends because I blended what I liked, its like hating seafood but trying to cook it for someone, upon reading the reviews here and just being to dang curious I had to try it so I bought it from a small grocery store in Wallace Idaho and it was the only brand of pipe tobacco they even sold go figure. For the most part in partial to burley using it to keep my blends cool burning and slow but not a fan of straight cut burley blends except some of C & D stuff like Berry Good or BWOB is good by itself as well, I'm trying to just give you a all and all picture of where my head is at because this is a review right? Upon opening the pouch I was very shocked that I smelled tobacco, pleasant sweet tobacco with a hint of cherry and not moist at all. It is not bone dry but actually perfect in the between and I notice 91% burley to just about 9% Virginia in the all and all mix of it. I can taste that its cased in a old fashioned sugar solution that most older companies still use like Carter Hall for example to reduce to harshness of the burley in its natural leaf and that they top it with obviously there own cherry sauce which you can hardly even taste but rather I taste a spiciness to the blend that I can't put my finger on because I know they don't use any kind of fire cured Kentucky or Mediterranean tobaccos but on itself still has a zing to it but very pleasant amd like all the other fellows said if you do not smoke it like a freight train it will not bite and is quite smooth, even to inhail (which yes a good chunk of us do) which is one of the checklist marks I gauge a tobacco blend in smoothness. I'm smoking this in a MM Cob Pipe because I do not know if it will stink my briars out, I have read for the most part no but beware if your new to this as well cob it because of its spicy tones which could altar the flavor of your cake which I'm particular about as most pipe smokers. As far as room note not sure because I cannot smell it myself and never smelled it from another's pipe before, at the pipe club I use to have nobody smoked the stuff didn't even talk about it. This is one of those blends that sits way out of view kinda in the corner back part of the rack where Captain Black and Half n Half dominate. Most tobacco shops are not carrying this product anymore and not even walmart so you gotta really look around but can be found, places like Walgreens and bigger chain smoke shops but still the internet so that's a good thing, I can see this old school blend fading away very soon do to supply and demand and the shortage of pipe smokers and especially the younger generation smoking very different types of pipe tobacco these days, which is not a bad thing just a past memory sad thing the "good old days". I would recommend this pipe tobacco blend but because its not super sweet or very cherry it would be a acquired taste. The nicotine level is not strong but will satisfy and depending on what you like could or could not be a all day smoke for you. To sum this up in the all and all, its a good smoke for sure very surprised, its smooth with hints of a very light cherry flavor but with a spicy note to it, the burley can be tasted but it mildly nutty and I cannot taste the very small amount of Virginia it it at all, it is not a so called OTC chemical bath pipe tobacco blend its just a super old school sugar sauce recipe they have been using for years which is why I say use a corn cob or a cheaper briar because of its spiciness more so then its cherry flavor that may or may not ghost your pipe. It is not low grade tobacco as some have said its just a older fashion of pipe tobacco, consider how long they have been in business and if you saw with your own eyes the process you would inserstand but not crappy tobacco. It would do better with black leaf tea or coffee rather than alcohol because of that semi sweet spiciness but that's my opinion ALL of this is my opinion that is why I take the time to right all this out, to give you the best feel and idea I can about this blend before you go off and spend money on it. If you like sweet cherry blends amd your thinking this will be like those, its not because it truly stands by itself with its own unique taste that's for sure but that does not mean you won't like it and if your a snobby pipe smoker that automatically shuns a so called OTC blend because its a OTC you truly might miss out on a blend that would surprise you in taste, this is a decent blend for sure hands down and in my book it passes with flying colors as a good old American pipe tobacco blends that has some depth and weight to it on flavor. I know I enjoyed it, would not smoke it all dang day but I would smoke it on occasion I just need to pick a briar out and go at it that way as well. Thanks for reading my review and I hope it helps some of you that are curious or undecided I'm glad I picked a pouch of this up I'm not disappointed at all!!!

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob Ms. Tester

Age When Smoked: 39

Purchased From: Harvest Foods Wallace Idaho

Similar Blends: Don't really know I do not smoke cherries and it is its own thing, maybe Carter Hall with a zing and a zap of cherry....

mr.vintage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.vintage (8)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This tobacco I enjoy in it's cigar form now...hard to find by the tub.There's always Paladin but it's heavily cased with a medicinal kind of cherry...awful stuff.Middleton's Cherry Blend (at it's price point) is well crafted.Bigger on tobacco taste from smooth burley and giving an almost as equivalent smooth cherry casing.Not an overpowering casing which reduces bite drastically.Not sugary sweet but once again smooth and delicious.

Pipe_Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe_Fan (13)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

My first cherry blend. I didn't know what to expect, and went into it expecting not to enjoy it. I'm not a big fan of cherry anything, and understand that OTC blends are not always up to snuff with 'premium' blends. I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

The pouch smelled of a light cherry scent, not overpowering and rather inviting. As someone who isn't a real big fan of cherries, I was surprised at how light and good it smelled.

The flavor while smoking was delightful and light, and I can see why many people use this as an all day smoke or keep it in their rotation. The cherry flavoring for me was just hinted at, playing along my tongue. It mixed well with the natural tobacco flavor as well, and I enjoyed the smoke.

The room note is pleasant, and I received compliments of the smell from my roommate and friends we had over. None thought that it was overpowering or rank.

Many reviews have complained of tongue bite, but I experienced none. Could be due to me smoking a filtered pipe, I'll have to try the blend in an unfiltered pipe, as I tend to smoke a little too fast and that will allow me to better gauge the bite.

In the end, for an OTC it performs great. If you are like me and not a big cherry person, but still want to try a cherry blend, this is the way to go I think.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega W/ filter

Purchased From: Wild Bill's Tobacco

Nicotine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotine (1)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Light brown, small-"chunk" ribbon cut. The pouch/tin aroma is like cigarette tobacco with a hint of raisins, dried [black?] cherries, and [dark?] chocolate. The tobacco is a bit moist, but it dries out quite quickly.

The smoke is pleasant, but nothing great. Tastes like original Captain Black, with a very light, creamy, vanilla-ish scent and room note. What annoys me is that this stuff is advertised as a cherry aromatic, but doesn't taste anything like cherries, and only smells slightly like them.

A good deal of tongue bite off this one. No detectable amount of nicotine. More of a drug store tobacco.

Pipe Used: Metropolitan bent briar (estate)

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Ed's Cigar Box; Danbury, CT, United States

Similar Blends: Captain Black original blend..

slashes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slashes (13)

This is a regular smoke in my rotation and I find that is a super easy blend to deal with. It's a great blend to smoke when your messing around in the shop or out in the yard. The blend has a great burley taste with a very subtle cherry flavor in the background.

Pipe Used: Cobs and Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the pouch

Purchased From: Local B&M

Hawksmoor666 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hawksmoor666 (1)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

1. It is not out of production. 2. It does not, nor does it claim to taste or smell like anything close to 'cherry' but is named after a street in Philadelphia...like 'Walnut'. 3. The pouch aroma, room note and flavor is very much like the old 'Hickory' blend, it is also similar in its attributes to IR 3Star Blue. 4. It's qualities (and drawbacks) have remained consistent over the years.

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I love burley, and I love aromatics. This was one of the first tobaccos that I tried whenever I started this wonderful hobby (mainly because it was available locally). The pouch note is rather nutty with a slightly spicy cherry aroma. It smells wonderful in the pouch, but burning it in a pipe is a different story. It burns quite quickly and quite hot. There is not much nuttiness as you would expect from a burley blend, but instead the tangy cherry overwhelms. It's not a "cough syrup" flavor, but a spicy cherry tang. I have found other cherry blends that blow this one out of the water. The killer for this, for me, was the amount of tongue bite I received from this blend. It just wasn't meant to be...

Pipe Used: Cob, Dr. Grabow

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)

I tried this in 1998 and it was the first blend I tried because it was the cheapest. Back then, it was a mild moderately flavored Cherry blend and the best of the cherry flavored blends. I tried it again in 2012. I do not know if its because my taste-buds had changed, the blend had been tweaked, my pipe needed some heavy cleaning (I used a pipe over 70 years old), the fact that it did not seem fresh, or any combination of the previous factors, but it wasn't how I remembered it. The woman I was dating at the time said it was the worst-smelling tobacco I had ever smoked. Smokers can rarely smell their own pipe, but I managed to catch a strong rotten-egg smell. Maybe it'll change in a few years to its former glory because it was once the tobacco to measure all cherry blends.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Basket Billiard

Similar Blends: Paladin Black Cherry.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is amongst the more pleasant aromatics I have tried. That can likely be attributed to the fact that it is also one of the most mild and simple aromatics I have tried. Out of the pouch it smells like cherry Kool-Aid. taste is of slightly nutty burley and sweet cavendish, with just enough cherry topping to taste and make the room and your clothes smell really very nice. Will bite if you freight train it, so go slow and enjoy.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)

Middleton's Cherry is one I smoked a lot of when I was a noob. The first tub I ever bought was Middleton Cherry. Why do so many of us go for cherry tobacco in the beginning? Anyway, this one is more of a Burley blend with a very faint sweetness to it. To be honest, I don't think it tastes like cherry. Not a goopy aromatic and has a good moisture level. Only one relight after char and burns down to white ash. Not a bad blend if you like something mildly sweet and enjoy Burley. I've moved on from this stuff, but still pick up a pouch now and then if the mood strikes me.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie, Italian Briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tub/pouch.

Purchased From: milantobacconists.com, local B&M

Similar Blends: Sugar Barrel.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

The name of the blend should say it all, Cherry Blend. Unfortunately, it does not. There are expectations which are just not met. I'll say right off that it did not bite, even right out of the pouch. And it did not leave a "goopy mess" as some other aromatics might. It also did not have any flavor, at all. The first half of the bowl was actually quite innocuous, not cherry, but not bad. The latter half of the bowl was just ashy and lost any trace of what might have been flavor. I was expecting a strong and noticeable charry scent. It was disappointing in the sense that it did not deliver what its name says it is. Is there a reason to buy a tobacco that, even with no bite, has none of the flavor advertised? No.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just couldn't find the cherry, coffee or whiskey flavors that Middletons claims. Just tasted burley. A bargain smoke here in Connecticut at around $5 a pouch when the other name brands go for about $7.75. IMO, this is a 2 star smoke, Middletons Apple is a 3. I smoke it in a hardwood Missouri Meerschaum using a Dr Grabow filter cut in half. I change the filter about every two bowls. The pouch was fresh when I opened it. This was to be expected as it's a sealed foil pouch inside a cellophane wrapped box. No tongue bite for me. I recall that this was better 35 years ago.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I found a supermarket that sells all kinds of tobaccos, so I'll be reviewing them all. I wanted to try this one because I've been wanting to try a cherry blend for some time. It smells very faintly of cherry in the pouch, but I detect very little cherry taste. The room mote is great, but the tobacco is what I taste. All in all a good tobacco that is a nice price. Great right from the bag, nice big rough cut.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Not my favorite aromatic but nice enough to buy a pounch now and again. Very mild flavor and nice sweet aroma. I wouldn't buy this by the tub or make it my every day smoke but I can easily see how some would. Worth the try.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (29)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

In the immortal words of Ralph Wiggum, "...it tastes like burning...".

Every few years I try this blend again, but I simply can not find a way to smoke this that does not sear my tounge like my Weber kettle grill sears a ribeye.

I really can not offer more to this review as I can not get past the initial pain that this tobacco has inflicted on my mouth time and agian.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)

This stuff is middle of the road - not the greatest blend available but certainly not the worst. It is the best of the cherry blends. It doesn't have much bite and it doesn't smoke goopy. My wife has a low tolerance for aroma of pipe smoke but she doesn't seem to object to this blend. The leaf used in the blend is decent quality and the casing doesn't completely overwhelm the natural taste of the tobacco as is the case with most other blends. If no other tobacco is available and I have to settle for an OTC blend, Carter Hall would be my first choice, SWR Aro second, Middleton Cherry third.

rrackley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rrackley (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Like many who noticed the nice aroma of this tobacco while around others who were smoking it in the 1960s and 1970s - and who imagined that young women might be favorably impressed with them if they smoked it - I started out with Middleton's Cherry Blend in a pipe I bought with it in a drugstore while in college in 1972. I don't remember if it was a Dr. Grabow or Medico pipe, but I'm sure it was one of those two brands. I immediately became aware that pipe tobaccos don't taste when you are smoking them the way they smell when someone else is smoking them - and got a serious lesson in tongue bite. After a package or two of Cherry Blend I moved on to other brands that came in pouches in convenience stores with names that suggested fruit flavors and, if they didn't bite like Cherry Blend, left me feeling like I had been eating a bar of perfumed soap instead. Then, I discovered shop-blended tobaccos and pipes that did not have filters or gimmicky metal plumbing inside at a shopping mall pipe store, picked up some hints on how to pack and puff for mildness and flavor, and left the drugstore stuff behind.

A while back, I saw some Cherry Blend for sale at a drugstore and decided to buy it just for the nostalgia. It felt fresh in the pouch and I decided to give it a try. I sprinkled it into one of my large-bowl old GBD pipes, packed it fairly loosely, gave it a good light across the top, puffed gently once it was lit and got an awakening. I actually enjoyed it. In the same way that I can enjoy a bowl of Carter Hall or Prince Albert these days, anyway. It still didn't taste the way it smelled, but my nose enjoyed the cherry aroma that it could pick up as I puffed. It wasn't bad as a no-nonsense tobacco flavor.

I realize that my poor memories of Middleton's Cherry Blend have more to do with the way I packed it for too hard a draw and then puffed like crazy to keep it lit when I tried it almost 40 years ago, before I knew better. I am going to keep some around to enjoy from time to time now that I know how to enjoy it.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)

Now, just hold on a hot damn minute... I smoke and thoroughly enjoy fine tobacco blends as much as the next man. But, I don't know why this tobacco is getting such a bad rap. Cherry Blend yields good honest burley taste with very subtle cherry flavor. Certainly worthy of 3 stars (IMO).

UPDATE 10/18/2013: For the past few months I've been smoking a lot of burley lately and I've been really enjoying Cherry Blend, especially with my morning coffee... This blend and Granger as well.. I been enjoying it so often that I feel it's my duty to raise it to four stars. "Just a good old tobacco from way back when"

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (29)

Cherry Blend is "King of the Tongue Biters"--always has been, always will be. It's hard to believe anyone could smoke this stuff and report of no tongue bite. If you get no t/b from this, your tongue must be like shoe leather.

"Like shoe leatha', Chah-lee. Shoe leatha already."

The room note is what really attracts one to this blend in the first place, but I can think of a hundred other cherry-flavored blends that also have attractive room notes and won't have you sprinting for the nearest water fountain to put out the 3- alarm in your mouth.

Use it for mulch?

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the better cherry blends without the goop, and the nasty chemical taste ,smell. I've smoked this on and off for years

Uruss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uruss (10)

I don't know...this blend just didn't do it for me. first of all, if you aren't careful, and I mean very careful, it'll bite like the devil. I didn't get much flavoring on light up, I didn't taste anything till about halfway through the bowl. may be because I was concentrating on my scorching tongue? who knows, but I don't think I can recommend this. If you want an "OK" cherry tasting smoke, give Half&Half a try. it sure as heck wont bite as hard as this.

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (38)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Nostalgia was the reason I purchased this. It was one of the first blends I ever smoked, I am not crazy about Cherry Blend, not sure why, perhaps I just do not like the taste. However, I took a tin to work, we can smoke outside, and fellow employees seem to enjoy the smell. I will say that it smells better than it smokes.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)

Light cherry flavor/room note, not goopy and just dry enough right out of the pouch-box it came in. Nice medium strength, good quality tobaccos - no floor sweepings apprent to me at least

For $2.89 + tax at my local package (beer) store and the above stated solid qualities - this could be an anytime-go-to blend.

price, dependability of the smoke, availability, and for not being pretentious ----- 3 stars *

Good Draw to You!

Glorfindel

4-30-09

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

I am not an aromatic smoker. However, I do occasionally like an aromatic for a change of taste from my usual English style blends. For years Sail Green was that alternative for me but I cannot locate any locally here. I have tried various vanilla cased products over the years and enjoyed none of them. Yesterday, while awaiting an Rx refill at local supermarket I saw a 1.5 oz. pouch of this for $2.79 and bought it on a lark. Stepping outside for my 30 minute wait I tried a short bowl of this. Pouch aroma was very subtle which I took as a positive. The product was very dry (and not the damp swamp that the Captain Blacks seem to be) - another positive. Lighting up, I found a pleasantly light flavor and aroma. Strength was adequate. It was moderately hard to keep lighted, but not overly so. It did burn HOT, but bite was not harsh at all (maybe my puffing/pull style). I did not finish the bowl and chose to knock the unburned load out. At bottom of bowl was a 'soup' which I was glad I did not reach. I tried a second bowl last night in sun-room and wife exclaimed,"That smells nice". For less than 3 bucks, and the rare times I would smoke it, I won't toss the pouch but keep some around.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)

I wanted to like this much more than I actually do. Loving Prince Albert and Carter Hall as I do, I was hoping that this companion brand of theirs was as good.

The packaging is great, the 1.5 oz. pouch as attractive and convenient as the others. The cut and appearance is where it begins to veer off. It seems to have more of a cube cut, like tiny flakes -- almost like red pepper flakes, which unfortunately brings me to the taste. I like the smell, kind of clove-y, though nothing that brings "cherry" to mind. But hoo boy, light it up, and it burns your tongue like an overdose of the aforementioned pepper. I've come back to this one several times, adjusting my puffing speed, experimenting with cobs, bowl size, etc., but the bite is still there. I see no reason for this, other than whatever topping they're putting on. Seems like this could be cherry-flavored Carter Hall, which might be nice. But rest assured it's not. It's a shame, because I do want to like it.

Update: Since my last pouch of this, it's stuck in the back of my mind because I enjoy P.A. and Carter Hall so much. I grabbed another pouch several days ago, and either I'm smoking my pipe more skillfully, or my body chemistry has changed, because the aforementioned bite was barely evident, the flavor came through much more nicely, and all the pleasant aspects of the packaging and the cut/look of the leaf are still the same. I'll be keeping this on hand more often, and continuing to hope for the best. The better Middleton brands are some of the pipers' best friends in this tough economy!

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)

This review is based on the little foil pouch, which in my experience with other tobaccos is never as good as the tub, but I didn't want to spring for a tub in case it bit. Well, as expected, the foil pouch, although perfectly sealed, yielded bone dry tobacco. I expected this, and rehydrated the contents in a small plastic tub with a paper napkin soaked in distilled water. After proper hydration, I tried it in a number of pipes, and it's not too bad. There was no bite, and I detected no cherry aroma or taste, but rather a butterscotch aroma and taste, which really reminds me of Middleton's Hickory. I suppose the tub would present the better version, as is almost always the case. This is a cool old retro Codger Burley, and I might just spring for the 14 oz tub. Like most of Middleton's products, this is a nice mellow all day smoke, smooth and predictable. This may also be a good blender for my own use. Try the pouch if you wish, just be sure it is properly hydrated, otherwise you will not experience the smoothness of the blend. 2 stars for now, I will buy a tub and may upgrade later.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)

I am not a huge fan of aromatics but this is a mild one. I bought a pouch, it was ok. Nothing to be excited about. Taste was fine, room note didn't seem to be bothersome to anyone and I got no bite. A friend purchased a can/tub of this stuff and it was amazingly different. Much better taste, a little flavoring and great room note. I smoked a few bowls of his before buying a tub for myself. I like this when in public places (now and again). It can go out now and again and it WILL bite your tongue if smoked too fast! Sometimes I get bit when I'm not smoking fast. I find that Cavendish tobaccos bite me more than others. It seems that the longer you let this stuff sit the better. I smoke this mainly in an older Ropp pipe and a no name poker. The shape is great for this tobacco. The casing is very mild and I don't feel like I am smoking cough syrup like many others. I think I'll always keep a little bit of this on hand, the tub should last me a very long time.

churchwarden398 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
churchwarden398 (19)

Like several on this site, I joined in the hunt for a good cherry blend. This definitely not it. My local tobacconist, at the time, had a very nice cherry blend. However my cash flow was not condusive relying on that source everytime. I bought this in hopes of finding a less expensive but good cherry blend. This did not turn out to be the case. True, it was not as goopy as the Borkum Riff variety. To me, it was like smoking a light cherry scented soap, if that is possibleor even imaginable. In my hiatus from pipe smoking I found a decent cherry favored chewing tobacco. I am satisfied to have my quest for the perfect cherry blend to have ended there. I have resumed my love of the briar by treating them to Balkans or Scottish Mixtures. I will give this two stars.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff really isn't bad, it's just not very good. I had expected more tongue bite and a cloying sweet taste, and was pleasantly surprised to encounter neither. On the other hand, I found nothing remarkable here. It's worth trying if you're on a budget or like aromatics, but I don't plan on buying more.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)

If it didn't say cherry blend on the can, one would fine it difficult in trying to pinpoint what the actually flavoring might be. This is not your typical cherry tobacco. Comprising dry brown rough cut burley with a varying degree of cake and some lighter virginia flakes in the American sense. The aroma from the tin is actually complex with underlying notes of deep sweetness like honey or maple syrup with a mild to medium dark cherry character, not at all bright and tangy like a usual cherry cavendish. The smoke is dry with a rounded and slightly darker sweetness and similiar but stronger aroma. This can seem to burn a little hot, so slow methodical puffing as should be the norm. I feel this really is among the better burley based tobaccos from any manufacturer. the reason is Middleton has cased this burley tobacco just right, just thoroughly enough with sufficient and appreciable sweetness for a round smoke. The contrary is so often my complaint in regards to premium burley products that are bland and smoke like dry paper, so listen up you Danes and Germans! I'm having a good time with the Middletons lately and I think I'll stick with them and Chery Blend as my burley based blend of Choice.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Strong Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

Had high hopes on this one. Even went looking for it after reading a review in a magazine. Very disappointing. Burned my mouth and nose no matter how careful I was with it. Actually had to toss the rest as I just could not finish it! May just be my metabolism however I will not buy this again.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Decent cherry aromatic, a little on the bland side but otherwise o.k. This does not offend the pallette as Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish can do, it was not as goopy either. I must warn you to smoke slowly though, it gave me nasty tongue bite and I smoked very slowly. I won't buy this again.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (40)

Again, I have a predisposition for this type of tobacco, and as these things go, Cherry Blend is one that I find myself smoking more and more. No nonsense burley with a hint of cherry casing. Like all burleys, it must be smoked slow with ample "nose time" to really appreciate the flavor. I smoke this almost exclusively in a cob. The cherry casing is far less pronounced in this than some other brands, and doesn't overpower the smoke at all. Room note is alright according to the lass... This is an easy tobacco...easy to pack, easy to light, easy to smoke, and at somewhere around $2/ pouch or $13/tub, easy to buy.

As I recommend with all of these american burley types: Go slow...sip the smoke and let it waft up your nose and let it dance on your palate. Smoke it out of a bowl that is long and narrow and pack it fairly tight. Don't hesitate to knock out the last 1/4 of unburnt tobacco when it begins to taste hot and ashy...think of this as a worthy sacrifice to the gods of pipedom.

Recommended

pipeinlefthand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeinlefthand (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I must say, I thoroughly enjoy this mild OTC tobacco. I had to try it, as it was my dearly departed grandfather's favourite. I remember fondly it's wonderful aroma, both in the pouch and when smoked. Therefore, I had some trepedation in smoking it myself, for fear it would turn out to be some wretched choke of a nyquil soaked oak-leaf. Thankfully, I was wrong. I should have had more faith in Grandpa Lou! This is a mild burley with the lightest of casings. I believe many people's perceptions of such tobaccos are based on what they are prone and accustomed to smoking in the first place. Smokers of heavy aromatics tend to wonder "where's the flavour?" while those who smoke no aromatics at all find the casing jumps out at them. I find this to be neither of those extremes. Decent burley with it's "bread baking" sort of flavour, and a sweet fruity undertaste which never overpowers. I find no bite at all, but this is to be smoked slowly, it is mild, and trying to puff more flavour out of it would probably scorch you poor tongue. It is my first smoke every morning, in a Dr. Grabow full bent Hillcrest with a paper filter, and as was mentioned in previous reviews, is great with coffee. It smells great to me in the pouch, and this could be purely nostagia on my part. My love of the room note could be nostalgia, too, but so far everyone around me seems to like it as well. It is, of course, not a complex tobacco, and it's not a cherry-jolt, but considering it's low price, availability, decent packing and burning qualities, I feel one could never go wrong. It's probably as good a beginner tobacco as any. Lastly, it comes in a cool package which bears the same symbol as when grandpa smoked it. When removed from the cardboard box it's contained in an old-timey foil pouch labelled "Middleton Cherry Blend" and nothing else! No warnings, disclaimers or pictures of rotten gums and lungs! How civilized!

I used to smoke this years ago, and enjoyed it. These days, I can't find it in the pouch, and I have not bothered with getting a tub of it. Maybe someday...

It is spicey, slightly sweet, with a nice room note. It is a very different beast compared to any modern black cavendish blend.

It is not top shelf Burley, and you will need to go slow on it. It is very much at home in a filtered Grabow, Medico or Missouri Meerschaum.

My dad would smoke this, and also blend it in various proportions with Carter Hall.

It was Middleton's best seller about the time I was born (1967)and it was the basis for Middleton's first pipe tobacco cigars.

It is a decent, light aromatic. It is very good with a cup of coffee and the morning paper.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)

Wow, heres a golden oldie! One of the first blends I tried, many years ago. Simple, very lightly flavored, easy to load and light. An unpretentious smoke, and, wonder of wonders, the last third of the bowl has no bitterness, even with relights. Smoked slowly this is as cool and dry as anything out there. I found a big tub of this for $13. If you like burley at all, this is worth a test drive.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

08-25-04 Like many, this was my first blend. I still have my notes on this, so here goes:

Appearance and aroma: well typical black and brown ribbon. Aroma is cherry, but not as strong as some other aromatics I have tried.

Packing and lighting: easy to pack, if packed loosely, will light in 3-4 lights

Initial Flavor: typical cavendish with the cherry right there.

Mid-Bowl: the cavendish is still in front, cherry not as tart.

Bottom of Bowl: Not much build up of strength, but can get ashy and yes, this is cheap tobacco. I keep getting undertones of cigarette flavor (blagh!). The cherry is still there.

Overall: I suppose I could have started my pipe smoking with worse blends, but now, I can't smoke this stuff anymore. I just don't like cherry of anykind anymore. But for those of you that do, this might be one you might like due to the fact that the casing is not overpowering as some other companies' versions.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)

What can i say... this blend is 1.25 a pouch here in north georgia.I like burley.The cherry flavoring is mild.It is not soaked in cherry flavor.This blend has to be one of the easiest blends in the world to light and keep lit.Put alot in the pipe because it will burn quickly.. not hot ..just quick.The aroma passes the wife test.A friend of mine started smoking the pipe and was getting frustrated with keeping his pipe lit.. so i bought him cherry blend and he was and is thrilled.A great beginer blend and an inexpenceive burley blend with a sound burley flavor!Hey .. for the money youve got to give it a shot!!!

Edit : 2/2014 ... it's been 10 years since I wrote the above review . It costs 3.25 nowadays .. Nothing has changed with this blend in my mind ... I still love it . If ya get bit by this blend then youre more than likely filling the pipe too loose or spazzing out .. or just have a girlie mouth

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Although I smoke this tobacco only occasionally, I think it is one of the best "drugstore" tobaccos around. The cut is good, it burns "reasonably" clean, it's economical and readily available. I wonder; would it rate better if it were more expensive and more difficult to find?

Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

What a surprise...I like this cheap stuff! I gave it a whirl about six months ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. The cherry flavor is there in a non-cherry sort of way, if that makes any sense. I liked the leaf's cut and taste. If I had to pick a "drug store" blend as the one I had to smoke for the rest of my life, this one would be in the mix. And that surprises me. If you are a coffee lover, try a bowl of this with your next cup. The flavor combination is delightful!