A straight blend of high quality Virginian, Oriental and Latakia tobaccos giving a smooth smoke robust in strength, there are no added flavours, just the pure taste of natural tobacco.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
Blended ByJ. F. Germain & Son
CutShag
Strength
Taste

Recovery7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Recovery7 (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Tin aroma is one of the more intriguing that I have encountered as of late. Rich and full but not overpowering. It was easy to pick out the Virginias and Orientals. The tobacco was in a firm cake, not hard pressed, more of a Krumble Kake. It rubbed out with ease into a mixed cut ribbon. I loaded this into a Larsen Zulu, a pipe I'd used only twice due to some lighting difficulties. The tobacco was a bit damp, but easily overcome and lit very easily (perhaps my priors were user error). The aroma was warm and not the typical "English" smell. Weather was rather dreary and this provided ample reason to contemplate the tobacco. The Virginias showed their brightness and sweetness, the Orientals their spice. The Latakia kept things cool and provided a wonderful smoky background. I've been smoking "English" style tobaccos for over a year now. I'd characterize this as a mild English. The Latakia is noticeable, but doesn't dominate the blend. The Virginias provide a level of sweetness and the interplay of the Orientals is expertly done.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is one of those sleepy blends that I guess has a loyal following. It's of Skiff/EMP/Jubilee school - light English, I suppose.

Anyhow there's nothing exciting going on, just terrific marriage of the component tobaccos and the overall flavor profile really resonates with me. Fantastic stuff.

Not strong enough to satisfy a nic-needy smoker.

Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

J.F Germain & Son King Charles Mixture . The unlit mixture has a leathery smell to it but you can also get the lively note of the Latakia . The mix is of a good selection of colours , being right from a few jet black pieces up to some golden yellow . It is of a superb moistness , takes to the flame amazingly , and once lit you realise just how special it is ! The smoke is superb , being of a great Smoky prominence with a superb spiciness to give it some backbone . If you decide to inhale with this one it causes no discomfort . This one leaves a perfectly White ash as it burns . The room note is very "classic" and not at all heavy , so it suits smoking if there are some non-smokers in the vicinity ! In all it is a true pleasure that demands 4 stars !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried a sample of this a while back, sadly I remember little of it so I thought I'd treat myself as part of my current Germain's binge. Having tried Germain's 1820 and Special Latakia Flake, I'd hoped I'd be in for a treat.

The aroma upon opening the tin was one of a mild creosote, bringing back those fond memories of helping my dad applying to the wooden fence out back. As for the fine shag, it does clump together a bit, so needs a little care but is otherwise. The first two or three pipefuls were a little rough but then settle down into a nice melange of flavours. The latakia is pleasantly mild but, as the smoke goes on, begins to dance with the orientals and the virginias, providing fond reminders of Squadron Leader and, to a lesser extent, 3 Noggins. If a little care is taken with this, it doesn't burn hot and provides no tonguebite.

A very good, mild latakia blend that sits very nicely between 3 Noggins and Squadron Leader in terms of the lat hit and provides the same complexity in flavours. Another cracking blend from Germain's.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)

I think it's unfair to compare this blend to Lat bombs. It obviously was not intended to smash you on the forehead with any one of its components. It is a balanced blend and, IMO, a very pleasant one. It it very similar to Squadron Leader exept it is shag cut which makes it easy to light and keep lit. I will likely keep some in my rotation and I can recommend it.

King Charles is an English on the lighter side of things as the Latakia plays more of a supporting role. The thin ribbons come nearly at the right moisture level for me as I just dried it for a few short minutes. From a color standpoint it reminds me of Early Morning Pipe or Squadron Leader. I struggled to get through the entire tin. If I were looking for a blend that I could just toss in my pipe and forget about, then this might fill the bill, but while it's balanced, I just find it lacking. I hesitate to use the word “boring” but for me it is just that. Unlike Early Morning Pipe, a blend that I would consider to be in the same realm, this just lacks the flavor that EMP offers. In fairness, EMP is topped, but I also think the underlying tobacco's are simply better. KC is OK, but with all of the light to medium English blends on the market today, there are just better choices out there.

dndubins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dndubins (1)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

This blend is described as “medium” without much flavour. I purchased this hoping for a mild English pipe tobacco. Upon opening the can I was taken aback and disappointed, the smoked fish smell was overwhelming. I was hoping that I wouldn't taste this when lighting it up, however the aftertaste of this tobacco was difficult to stomach and literally made me gag. "Mild" is not one of the words I would use to describe this tobacco, and the unpleasant aromas drowned out this blend. I am used to aromatic tobaccos, so this might just be my uneducated pallate talking. Maybe part of the problem is that I've mainly smoked Brigham blends up until now, which are rich, moist, and have lots of sweet caramel nuances, none of which remind me of snapper or halibut. Some reviewers compared this blend to "Early Morning Pipe", which I have smoked and found to be pleasant. This blend was revolting. Perhaps the tin I purchased had gone rancid. I will not be giving King Charles a second chance - off with his head.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)

Light Latakia mixture, ideal for a beginner or for someone who wants a lighter Latakia tobacco experience.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

This typical English blend comes with the perfect level of moisture, ready to smoke right out of the densely packed tin. It is mild enough for an early morning smoke, and interesting enough to puff all day long.

The Latakia is applied with restraint, always present, but not overpowering. The sweetness is very subtle.

Unfortunately, after about 40 grams, King Charles has been banned from my house after my wife pronounced the smell to be unbearable. She adores Presbyterian Mixture and various Virginia blends. But this one caused her to gag.

No big loss for me, KCM was never going to make my regular rotation. It is not as interesting as Penzance, nor as enjoyable as a half dozen English and Oriental blends already in my cellar.

Barling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barling (19)
Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

When I first opened a tin of this, it was a bit harsh on my throat. After letting it sit for a few weeks it mellowed out considerably, and I find it to be a great example of a full English blend. The Latakia really comes out in this, and it is a good choice if you want a true English blend with no non-tobacco flavors to spoil the experience.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

If you like big bold blends, Latakia mixtures that make folk check to see if there's a nearby forest fire, you will likely dislike this tobacco. The Latakia is in the forground, but it is a mild Latakia with supporting Virginias and just enough Orientals to make it interesting (to me at least) without really being quite identifiable. I find this a relaxing, pleasant experience. (correctly moved here instead of the Esoterica label)

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've tried a few latakia blends. Including Germain's Special Latakia Flake, which I enjoyed. As a latakia fan, I found this tobacco to be an excellent smoking experience, and at the moment, has taken the lead as my favourate latakia blend. The tobaccos used in this seem to be of very high quality, and are blended together to complement each other with extreme care. The tin aroma is full, but not over-powering, the tobacco packs and lights easily with very few relights and burns to a fine ash with little to no dottle. This stuff could well be one of my new favourate all round, and has strengthened my liking to Germain's as a blender. Excellent, 4 stars!

Very Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Try this and you may find your all day tobacco. My first impression was that this was far too mild and no flavor, but after the first 1/4 bowl it really starts to develop. A nice Virginia/ Oriental mixture with no bite and a constantly developing flavor. Allow the new tin to breath and the tobacco to dry a bit. I've been turning to this when I just don't know what I want. You can smoke this one bowl after another. I'll keep this around. A solid 3 stars. I have to agree with Zulujerk and Daniel reviews below with reference to EMP. I think that is a good comparison but this has a touch more Latakia and less "N" and might burn a little hotter.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

This was probably the best mixture I have tried so far from Germain.

Good descriptions have already been made, so I will not be long. i must say there is a unique taste to this one that I have yet to identify.

Very pleasant smoking experience if you are seeking a gold english blend that is not too strong.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this tobacco on a trip to Latvia. As usual I walked into a shop, where perhaps the only interesting tin was this one. I kept it in the closet for one more year, and when I opened it, I felt like a fool because I didn't get all 5 tins from that shelf. The tin must have been there for quite a long time because the piece of paper inside was dark brown which means it had matured a lot. Great mix gives you a strong natural taste of tobacco. Includes Virginia, Oriental and Latakia. Thin cut, easily fills the bowl and also lights easily. Keeps the "sweetness" to the end of the bowl. I ordered more tins to see if the fact that it burns quickly, was because of the cutting or my "furious" smoking, because of my enthusiasm. First place in my preferences in latakia

Fireside Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fireside (2)

While contemplating a very low supply of Early Morning Pipe I stated searching through my cellar looking for something with a similar blend. My first pipeful was ok but a little uninspiring. There is something a little inadequate to the mixture even though it appeared to have a good blend of Virginia, Oriental, and Latakia. I am not a fan of the cut. On my second bowl I decided to use a Stanwell with a wide bowl. While waiting for it to dry for a bit I pondered the shag and decided to mix it with some Esoterica Tilbury, about 5-1 KC to T. What a nice smoke!

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a perfectly serviceable blend, well balanced and tasty, every component registering on the palate. I picked it up at the local B&M, after a good half hour of compromises continually calculating in my head. I confess that I love the nostalgia of walking into the shop, but it's difficult to rationalize many purchases with the inflated prices and limited selection in comparison to our favorite online counterparts. It's that guilt that brings me to settle on blends I wouldn't normally go for, such as Germain's King Charles mixture.

It's not a bad purchase, yet, with a wealth of highly potent English blends out there (and in my smoke drawer) King Charles will inevitably find lonely company. I do love the cut of Germain mixes--stringy, condensed bricks of tobacco that fire easily, burn well, and to fine ash. The presentation is top notch, the beautiful assortment of tobaccos ranging from light blondes, darker browns, to the black strands of finely cut Latakia. The Virginias play the dominant role in this mix, bright and sugary, with the smokey leaf always in the background but never hiding. This will appeal to those who enjoy light English's, no doubt...something akin to Early Morning Pipe. And to those who prefer something heavier...smoke this first, as moving down from a full bodied blend will dull your senses. But, in sum, King Charles is high class, all the way.

Three and a half of Five.

Rodrigo de Xerez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodrigo de Xerez (16)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This mixture is good, but not good enough to repeat (IMHO)

It is quite distinctive, mixing different and good tastes, but Latakia is not enough noticeable and Orientals can be more alluring than here. Best players: quality Virginias.

Aftertaste is a little bit dry; a characteristic I find in EM and Balkans I like, but not enough. I just do prefer a chewing sensation in aftertaste. As I prefer the never ending aftertaste of a classy red wine or a superb whisky or cognac.

Tobacco prones to dry out with tin opened. I do not like this (I am not for dry tobaccos)

Good as a light English... but I am more for heavier ones.

Rdx score (10 pipes): 87.80

A classic English mixture, and one of the best for sure. Exquisitely balanced Virginias, Orientals and Latakia with no tobacco dominances and a mellowness and sweetness seldom found on similar mixtures.

Packing on the light side will prevent choking of the airway, a problem it oftens comes up with shag cuts.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Good ol' Charlie boy. If this was your baccy, then you got one thing right.I tried this on the "back" so to speak of other Latakias, the penultimate being "1820", ( which was itself good,) but for me started with promise, then dissolved into a stronger swirling mist of "partlies". King Charles starts, for me, with promises, then one by one they are fulfilled.Light-up reminds me of " Morris's Blue Book " cigarettes when I was a youth.They could only be bought at "Sylvesters" opposite Sheffield Town Hall, along with " Sullivan Powell " Turkish ..... ah those were the days. Then the Latakia, smoky and lascivious, not harsh or pungent, but a reunion with an old mistress who has aged very well, although adept and kindly when young. It may have been nostalgia, but I got hints of Egyptian as well. The tastes, introduced along the way meld into a well orchestrated Sonata ... "Exposition, Development " and then, "Recapitulation." Clean tastes, clean burn, clean pipe,white ash, smoked to exhaustion with no problems. No tongue-bite, no heavy aftertaste, clean your teeth with impunity.Economical in use, easy burn, and smoke then fill again. Parfait !! Definitely a tobacco worth losing your head for.(??)

daniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daniel (4)

As a Dunhill E.M.P. refugee, I have been looking for something to fill-in the void until E.M.P. returns, supposedly in Autumn 09. King Charles is a mild english blend where the latakia is the first among equals with the virginia and oriental tobacco. It arrives wetter than you want to smoke it out of the tin. I am going to order more, as that gentle dose of latakia is very addictive. An interesting tobacco worth a try if you like light english mixtures.

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium (SMM) for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based:

King Charles is not SMM. But it's good in a different way.

Pipestud said of SMM: "If you want a smokey flavor lingering in your mouth for hours after you finish a bowl, grab a tin of this stuff."

Which is very accurate, and it is a taste in my mouth that I dearly love. But because of this, 3 times a day (after every meal, just like brushing...), (4 times with the rare Happy Hour celebration) is all my mouth can handle. But every once in a blue moon a situation will arise in life (usually stressful) where one has a sudden urge for a smoke (outside of meal times) as a calming & contemplative agent. But the thought of an in-between bowl of SMM always seemed a little overwhelming. So for a great many years I often dreamed of a clean crisp tobacco (but still interesting) to use on these rare occasions (probably with high nicotine content?).

Well, King Charles might be the answer. It is not in the least bit overwhelming. In fact, I couldn't even tell you why I like it. But I do. I find it delightful. Not boring, nor complex, not strong, nor mild. I suppose one could say it is a supremely unpretentious tobacco. And a good one. Perfectly moist, and burns quite well.

I find this to be a true classic among English Mixtures. The interplay between Orientals and Virginias is Wonderful. The expert use of Latakia makes this a wonderful and rewarding smoking experience. It is light, flavorful and leaves you wanting even more. Good as an all day English smoke. Try it.

King Charles Mixture has been around for many years... I imagine it is a favorite (judging from the excellent reviews here from those who choose to actually "review" blends), of those who give it three or more stars due to the quality of the Virginia, the delicate application of top-shelf Latakia and the complexity of the smoking experience.

I found that King Charles worked better after considerable drying out (I dry out most of my tobaccos anyway), and will burn evenly all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It is also very cool and did not appear very strong.

If light to medium strength latakia blends with evident Virginia leaf please you, then you may want to give this old classsic a try.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing special here. One of the most boring English blends I've ever smoked. It is wet out of the tin, so some drying will be required. Basically just a medium English not unlike dozens of other medium English blends. There are far better choices available. I wouldn't buy it again.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Without a doubt one of the best tasting English blends available. The buttery orientals really make this blend complex and flavorful. The Latakia is there, but not overwhelming. A very balanced blend. My tin has a few years on it, so it's all the better. This is a winner.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

N.B. Not from Mike Butera's Esoterica as this website says about the brand (see other listing for this blend). According to the label, it is direct from J.F. Germain & Son.

Packaging:

Rectangular tin with a paper label. The tobacco is wrapped in folds of mylar and comes in ribbons pressed into a cake. The ribbons, neither dry or moist, are easily separated and no trick loading.

The blend is made up of mostly brown tones with spots of bright and dark tobaccos, with a supple aroma of rich Turkish and high-quality Latakia (Cyprian?). Promising indeed.

Taste and aroma:

The best Turkish tobacco begins the ensemble, leads and remains in the first chair. These are very rich, tangy, subtle and hardly acrid Orientals. They are sweet like a flower and just as floral scented.

The Latakia plays second in line, with, for me, just the right touch of smokiness (subdued, contributing), maybe a touch nutty and creamy.

Unlike other fullish English blends, the Virginias in KC sounds in and out throughout the smoke, providing welcome relief with natural sweetness, weight, and richness.

KC is hardly monotone. This is complex, behaved, clean, and smooth. One light brings this blend to the bottom of an ODA sized pipe. Do savor every whiff of smoke.

Profile:

While not full like Margate, Mississippi Mud, Bow-legged Bear, Nightcap, Solani 779, Penzance, etc., this is on the full side of medium English blends. It is wonderful, unique, delicious and excellent. It could be harsh and hot, but is not.

This is in the category of blends that I will age a half-dozen tins at all times (along with Squadron Leader, 965, Nightcap, Dorisco, EMP).

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

N.B. Not from Mike Butera's Esoterica as this website says about the brand. According to the label, it is direct from J.F. Germain & Son.

Packaging:

Taste and aroma:

Profile:

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

If mild to medium English blends ring your bell, then this is a very fine one. The Virginias used are superb, the other leaf lends a condimental spice and character.

Well worth a sample, and it may become a favorite.

ABSSiegel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ABSSiegel (21)

I smoked this for the first time two summers ago and the tin lasted until recently. It was an enjoyable English blend, but didn't warrant entrance to my regular rotation (that's why the tin lasted so long). There are better English blends available. I guess I was sucked in by the artwork on the tin (and I've enjoyed Penzance from the same brand, Esoterica Tobacciana) in a small tobacco shop in upstate NY on a beautiful summer day. Oh, I wasn't unhappy with my purchase; I've smoked better. Try it for yourselves. YOU might really like it.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)

King Charles Mixture, a very good all natural tobacco taste with Va`s leading the way in this squadron. The tin I had had a couple yrs on it and provided a pleasurable flight with no surprises. The latakia and orientals prove a nice balance as it works well and is very much hassle free. Having so much similar tobak in the hangar, will not cellar....but, will ride jumpseat if offered!

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Strong

This has more Virginia's in it, along the lines of Esoterica's "And So to Bed" but without the flavoring. I like it. Nice smokey English with the Latakia a bit more balanced in the mix. When I first opened the tin I could really smell the Virginia element as opposed to heavier Oriental/Latakia blends such as Pennzance. It was rather moist as well. A Germain characteristic. A little airing and it was good to go. Thin ribbon cut, tightly interwoven in the tin. Quick light. Nice change of pace now and then.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Anyone who likes their English blends blended in England will be, at a minimum, unoffended by King Charles. It possesses a character not replicated in "English" blends from any other country.

There are, however, more eloquent and more enjoyable statements to be smoked. There is nothing objectionable in this mixture, but, alas, there is nothing redeeming either. It is merely an acceptable smoke.

The Virginias, indeed all components, are top-grade, well-aged, and processed properly. They just, IMHO, are not worth the price when there are many of other "light" English blends that offer more bang for the buck...Like Piccadilly from GL Pease.

Two out of four stars.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Nicely variegated in color, traditional British ribbon cut. Goodly proportion of dark leaf evident here.

Aroma: Very rich English/Balkan aroma. The Latakia, Oriental and Virginia all are readily detectable.

Packing: Packs easily into almost any pipe. You may want to tear the ribbons when loading a small bowl. Lighting: Starts burning readily, just tamp and relight.

Initial flavor: Just as promised by the aroma, lots of condimental flavors on a good Virginia background. Nothing stays in the background here, all the elements come out to play immediately.

Mid-bowl: If asked to pigeon-hole this blend, I would have to call it English with Balkan tendencies, not a Balkan per se. The Virginias are still slightly dominant.

Finish: Burns cool and dry all the way down. There is a fairly strong mouth feel here, but not overpowering. Summary: An excellent blend from Germain. I wish it were offered in larger sizes, as is the Esoterica line. That?s my only complaint.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

Pretty good, nice natural flavor. Can't say that it's among my favorites so far, but definitely a notch above Brebbia's Preludio blend.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I'm afraid I have to agree with Beer on this one. Clearly, this is a well made quality tobacco that will appeal to some. Foe me, I find nothing to warrant future purchases.

bl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bl (8)

This was one of the first English blends I ever tried, and it is still one of my favorites. It has a very natural tobacco taste and always has burned cool and dry for me. I like mild to medium English blends and this one fits right in that category.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I wish I'd have known about this blend in my earlier days of tobacco experience. It's not that I don't like it but instead find myself with other blends of similar composition with more character. To me it's not that the tobaccos clash or fail to support one another, but instead, as a blend are flat and unappealing to me. I've been working on a tin for some time now and most likely the mold will get to it before I finish. There are just too many other blends that use the same type tobaccos with far more to offer, for me to waste further time with this disappointment. Maybe with some additional latakia and turkish leaf....... I give it one and one half stars.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a bent textured Meerschaum

It's a good tobacco and it has a good quality/price ratio too. I dearly love the long shag cut, it's easy to pack and stays lit without any problem. The only trouble is the awful moisture level in the tin, but leave it dry and it will be fine. As far as flavour it lacks something in deepness and it doesn't evolve during the smoke. A good introduction to the Latakia world.

This is definitely a unique and tasty "english blend". It is my go to blend when I want a blend that is flavorful and not too strong. It is perfectly balanced with the orientals a little more out front. Moisture is perfect out of the tin and does not have the "anise" odor that "Margate" or "Royal Jersey Latakia" have. Not that I mind the anise, but for an everyday, fine, delicious blend, I prefer no toppings. This blend has crept up the ranks in my smoking rotation and lately can't seem to save tins for aging! The tin blurb has it correct a "high class mixture" in every respect. IMO this is Germain's OPUS MAGNUM. It is that good. No tongue-bite, easy packing, decently priced. What more can you say? Go get some now!

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

There was a time when all I would smoke were English blends. It then came to pass that I found them harder and harder to enjoy. It was often to the point that I could not stand the taste and sensation brought on by Latakia.

King Charles, though, is a blend that could make me return. This is among one of the finest English blends I have had in quite a score, though not perfect.

I love the long, almost shag cut that burns so well once it is got going. The flavor is all that an English should be, without any one component taking centre stage.

This said, it was not all that it could be and I think that I will be with my classic American style mixtures for some time still. I noticed a tendency to go out at the first stages of a bowl. Also, the restrained hand with which the condimental leaf was applied in combination with the blonde virginia base did make for a bit of a bland smoke at times. A bit more turkish, I think, would do the trick.

freevito Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
freevito (5)

This was the first J.F. Germain (JFG) blend I ever smoked. I was immediately impressed with its unusual fragrance in the tin. JFG's unique processing method has a way of bringing an almost perfumed quality out of the leaf, yet there is no identifiable "scent" that one could ascribe to any kind of additive, and the smoke is pure tobacco flavor.

If my tastes weren't so varied or they didn't demand much fuller-bodied blends in my regular rotation, I would probably smoke King Charles more often. I've dedicated a Stanwell Year Pipe 2000 (a Tom Eltang-designed modified Dublin sandblast) exclusively to this blend, and it's always an exquisite smoke when I want something on the lighter side in the way of taste.

The burning characteristics are excellent, although I generally like to let it dry a bit after I first open the tin. Even so, the moist tobacco right out of a fresh tin can be smoked straight to the bottom of the bowl after a couple of charring lights.

Like all the JFG blends I've tried, King Charles is gentle on the tongue & palate, yet it delivers far more flavor than you'd expect for such a cool, dry, gentle smoke. You'd have to puff pretty thoughtlessly and vigorously to get this weed to burn your tongue. Just realize that it's not designed to be a full-flavored blend.

Speaking from personal experience, don't make the mistake of smoking it outdoors in a brisk breeze; it will just burn hotter without delivering any more flavor. It's a blend to be savored in quiet contemplation, or while reading, and it makes a great first smoke in the morning.

2004, January 03 - freevito

A truly natural tobacco! This blend would be described by many as flat,yet it really is not. The Latakia remains in the background while the orientals and virginias provide the bulk of the flavor. The blend starts cool and mild and remains that way right to the end. It yields a very nutty taste that leaves no aftertaste ata all. This is very similar to blend 1820 by Germain.It is not complex but it is smooth and rewarding. This is when you need a break from latakia laden English blends. No casing, no bite, only natural flavor 3 of 4 stars.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I know this blend has its fans, but I am not among them... In the tin it was quite moist (as often are Germain's products), and it had a smell which reminded of Dunhill Standard Mixture Mild but weaker, less pungent.

The taste is dull, grey, terribly unexciting, too. It burns very regular and with little flavor development: the Latakia doesn't make its presence very evident, and all the flavors are "drowned".

Try it, by all means, as some of my friends were more than happy to snatch the remaining tins at the local tobacconist and enjoyed them, but I have much better stuff to smoke...

2011 Update: After several years, I decided to give it another try. This time, it was not as moist as the previous two tins I had smoked some years ago: actually, it was almost perfect in humidity level for smoking right away. My impressions about the smoking experience are overall better, too: this time it has more taste and body, though I still feel that it's quite an unimpressive mixture. The Virginias have good quality, and it's not a wimpy smoke: especially in large bowls, their sweetness s comes out in the second half. Latakia still is very subdued, and alas I think it's a monochromatic (though pleasant) smoke. Once in a while, in some pipes, it seems to shine, but it's not so frequent. I think that Samuel Gawith has a much better (more complex, more pleasant, more fascinating) product than this one in the same style (EM light): Skiff Mixture.

While King Charles is not bad, with Skiff Mixture around I have not many reasons to buy it again.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I'm going to give this same review to the one offered by Germain and Son, as they are the same tobacco:

I opened the tin, and was greeted with what I can best describe as an earthy, almost plastic-like smell that had me wondering about this before I lit it.

It took a little work to get it lit, I think some drying might help this a little bit. Maybe 30 minutes on the dashboard or so.

Once she lit, I was very impressed. The smoke was actually fairly sweet, and while you could definitely taste the Latakia, it really doesn't take center stage, it shares it with the others. There's something that I don't quite recognize in this blend, and it's not BAD by any means, but it's nothing that I can compare anything else to. I don't want to say something that could possibly turn someone off, but clove-banana tastes, with a hint of sweetness, and that smooth latakia flavor combine to make a pleasant, consistent from beginning-to-end smoke. I'm quite happy that I bought this tin, and look forward to adding it to my regular rotation.

My honest opinion: You gotta try it if you like English blends. It may or may not be your thing, but if it's a heavy latakia taste you're looking for, you won't quite find it here. This brand is quite subdued compared to Balkan types.

It has more latakia flavor in it than Cornell & Diehl's Yale Mixture, and that little something else that gives it a bit of exotic flavor. I wish I were more in-tune with my palate, and knowledge of orientals to know exactly what kind of tastes they impart.

I give it an 8 out of 10. A VERY high score.

Cheers!

Daniel

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)

Well, I'm going to give this same review to the one offered by Esoterica Tobacciana, as they are the exact same tobacco:

I give it an 8 out of 10. A VERY high score.

Cheers!

Daniel

Bootknife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bootknife (17)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I must pretty much echo what has been said in the reviews above. I am down to the last couple of bowls left in the tin and will probably not buy another, but this is not to say this is not a high quality blend. I simply prefer blends with more strength and taste.

The Taste, though not strong, is by no means monochromatic. The Virginias of course give their natural sweetness while the Latakia and Oriental components lend a teasing smokey-spicey interplay. This is a blend best enjoyed while seated quietly on a still evening, listening to the crickets and tree frogs calling out their love songs. Any activity, for me at least, will distract from the enjoyment of KC's subtleties.

The most positive point for this blend is that the moisture content was perfect out of the tin. I have hardly ever had to relight a bowl of KC.

My impressions of dear old King Charles run in the same direction as the above review by the Mailman. Really a bit hard to describe because the blend is quite unique.

My tin was about 4 years old, so, it was aged nicely. I enjoyed the subtle tones of the Latakia, which did not overwhelm my palate. The semi-sweet taste of the orientals came through as well, but it was the Virginia base that I tasted most.

If you like a very light English blend without casing, then pull King Charles out of the can. If, on the other hand, you prefer a stouter Latakia blend, leave the King in his coffin!

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)

The ingredients of this one lead me to expect another typical English, but hay ho this one is different . A tobacco which is medium all the way down. Im not sure that some sort of casing may has not gone into this blend, I found this blend to be so different from other blends that it may become a firm favorite in time, as my all my lasting relationships with tobaccos always begin with this intial reaction. If your looking for something out of the ordinary this blend is worth a try.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

Tin Aroma: There is the mustiness of Latakia, the zest of Orientals and the pungency of bright leaf Virginia in the pouch aroma. The interplay of these three elements is wide and varied, with this blend sometimes smelling musty like a proper english blend, sometimes smelling warm and sweet, like a good virginia blend.

Physical Characteristics: A short ribbon cut comprised mostly of lighter colored pieces, this blend came out of the tin in a very smokable condition, and improved only slightly with exposure to the drying effects of ambient air. Packs easily, owing to the shortness of the cut, and holds together very well during smoking, leaving a dark grey ash that is almost sandy in texture.

Notes: The sample tin I smoked had been aged for 5 years, which may have colored my perceptions of this blend enormously. I enjoyed this blend immensely in almost all of my briars, though both meerschaums and corncobs seemed to add ( or detract, I cannot say which) something fro mthe flavor that was integral to my enjoyment of it. The taste is full and satisfying, without being overpowering, which is, to me at least, quite an accomplishment, as most blends I have tried fall either to one side of this equation or the other, being too full and powerful to really enjoy a whole bowl, or so flat and mild as to offer very little in the way of body. This blend requires very few relights, even with my meager smoking skills, and burns evenly and smoothly to the bottom of the bowl, leaving only ash and a stray scrap or two of tobacco. Probably the highest accolade I can give this tobacco is that bowls of it always seem to end too soon.

Verdict: This is a stellar blend, and rapidly becoming one of my favorites.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very good but very different English blend. There is a strange, not unpleasant taste through most of the bowl, one that I have never tasted in a tobacco before. Regardless, it is a very relaxing and satisfying tobacco. The smell in the sample bag is that of an English blend, medium in strength and not apparently flavored. The tobacco is varied in color, black and medium brown and lighter brown, with medium brown the largest component. The cut is unusual: the sample came as a soft "brick", held together but not at all like a pressed flake, with some extra loose tobacco at the bottom. The cut is varied, most of it very long, but some medium length and rigid and some hair-fine; this makes packing properly rather tricky. It does light easily, though, and it burns well, needing the average number of relights. The moisture level is also roughly average. I chose a 1/4 bent Savinelli bulldog for the first bowl of this blend. For the first third, the taste is that of a good English blend: Latakia first, supported by other tobacco flavors. The Latakia is not overwhelming, this being a milder blend than Dunhill 965 or Raven's Wing. Still, it isn't mild, and it is very English, the smell of the smoke reflecting that. The taste is different, though, than I am used to. There is an element of spiciness here, and of sour sweetness (if that makes sense!), that I haven't noticed in English blends before. It doesn't taste like a casing, so it must be from the tobacco itself. It is especially noticeable when blown out through the nose. In the second third, the strange taste is still present, and there is a bit of bite as well. The basic tobacco taste hasn't changed much, though, with Latakia still clearly noticeable over the lesser tobacco flavors. The flavor overall is not very dark, but fairly full and complex, and even the weird taste isn't unpleasant, just different. In the last part of the bowl, the unusual taste has diminished somewhat, mingling more closely with the English flavor. It has settled into a very relaxing, pleasant smoke that is full and complex, but not overly dark. The minor tongue bite has ceased, and there are no problems with moisture in the bowl. Overall, this is a very good blend. I would not put it at the level of GLP Renaissance, but in the realm of medium-to-strong English blends, this is certainly worth noting. It is a very relaxing, unusual smoke, and I plan to buy one or more tins of this in the future.