Burley based pipe tobacco. Made in the USA. Pouch description: "Burley and Bright" Pipe Tobacco.

Notes: Originally from an American Tobacco 19th century formula. Originally, it was a local Virginia favorite for both cigarettes and pipe tobacco.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Manufactured BySt-Group

2.1
smoke65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoke65 (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

BEST PART: finishing the pouch (hate to waste $$$$$)

WORST PART: buying the pouch (see answer above)

CONLUSION: don't waste your $$$ on this product

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was gifted most of a large tub of this, an action I at first thought gracious - until I smoked a couple of bowls of it.

I neither see nor taste any virginia in this mess; just a lot of heavily cased probably raw off the stalk burley. This is definitely one of the 5 worst tobaccos I've ever smoked. If you can tolerate it in a pinch, my hat is off to you. If you actually like it, I salute you. But if you come to my house and want to try some from my tub and have never smoked it, I will do my best to dissuade you. If I cannot, you must sign a waiver that says you won't sue me as your host for jeopardizing your health and safety, as well as your taste buds.

I have a better idea. This might make a good fertilizer/weed killer.

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (15)

Well it may seem that all I review are the standard OTC tobaccos which by nature have hundreds of reviews, but I feel compelled to set the record straight. Half and half is good, very good as a matter of fact. It isn't the absolute best blend of complex alchemy ever invented by tobacconists but because my grandfather smoked it I was biased to give it a try. Take this review with a grain of salt as I have only been smoking a pipe for a year but no bite, smooth, burned well, best pouch note of any OTC, and can be mixed with a black Cavendish for an even better burn, recommended to all my friends if I had any. LOL

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

bearzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearzerker (17)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought a pouch of Half and Half because it's cheap and I was low on cash and I've seen it on the shelves of my local drug and grocery stores all my life so I thought I'd give it a shot. I needed some tobacco to take to work with me. I was very disappointed. I found it very wet and sticky and has the nastiest aroma. I puffed on it for about 10 seconds and had scoop the nasty stuff out of my bowl. I wanted to brush my teeth in the worst way. It really gummed up the bowl of my pipe. I figured maybe I should let some dry out then give it another go. That was also a mistake. It did load easier and didn't gum or plug up my pipe but it burned incredibly hot and the aroma, just can't get passed the smell or flavor of this.

northernpiper31 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
northernpiper31 (2)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am setting the record straight. This tobacco is a very good smoker, it has a great taste, and is does not bite like people say, there is a little bite at the end of the bowl, but that is common with a lot of tobaccos. I say try it. You see the problem with most reviews are that 1. These people are newer to pipe( I'm 18 years running) 2. Haven't explored the range of tobaccos( I'm 830 blends stong 3. ( the big one) their palate isn't for this kind of tobacco ex:aromatic, english ect. This is a good blend, just give it a try before these bad reviews make it disapear forever.

Pipe Used: dunhills, falcons, peterson

Robdlouisville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robdlouisville (6)

When Skandanavik bought this brand they must have gone back to the original recipe. I smoked this in the 1970's and really liked it. Pinkerton tobacco changed the formula and it was horrible. I am not sure if it is still made in Owensboro, ky. The formula has gone back to the old one that I loved. When you buy this stuff, make sure it is stamped Skandanavik. Other wise, you will be getting the old production of less tasteful tobacco blend. SOme smokers have said this contains deer tongue tobacco. Others compare it to anise or cherry. It has a very unique taste. I love it personally. I sometimes mix it with other burleys to flavor it just a bit. I will be buying a few tins to keep on hand. This tobacco does not burn my tongue. It is smooth to me. Taste great in a cob or briar. Burns rather quickly. Easy to light. I am so glad they went back to the original formula.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)

A few points to add to the excellent review by "Hink" of a true American tobacco. Pinkerton has done a great job in maintaining one of the classic American tobaccos, some of the others being Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, and Edgeworth RRd. When H&H was an American Tobacco product, the burley was a little thicker cut, but basically, the aroma and the burn are the same. Nothing here but Kentucky and Tennessee burleys and virginia bright flake. Funny but I always found that this tobacco favored a larger billiard bowl, and would always smoke clean to the bottom, with a fragrant white-gray ash and very little moisture. It also has one of the most distinctive room fragrances that I ever encountered. It is still my "go to" tobacco if I'm traveling and run out of my normal smoke. The only complaint that I ever had was that if H&H was dry, it wouldn't rehydrate and that it would only re-blend with Paladin Black Cherry (3 parts H&H to 1 part PBC, evens out the PBC). I do prefer the can to the pouch, because the first cut from the can gives out some of the best fragrances of tobacco, especially like that of baking bread and autumn leaves. It may not be the best smoke to start a pipesmoking career, because it can be a little stout for a new smoker. Highly recommended as a change of pace smoke for the aromatically inclined, to taste what tobacco is really like.

I'm recanting my earlier heresy; this is a 4star tobacco. After finishing my second full can of H&H, I'm convinced that H&H may be, w/ PA, the best "go-to" tobaccos on the market. Acrid smoke, unique taste, never bites...Pinkerton, I'm sorry that I doubted your abilities. I will not mock the nay-sayers. I will only say that these blends bring it home for me, w/o pretension or guile.

dm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dm (3)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

This tobacco seems to me to be a nice blend of basic smoking tobaccos. It's chunky cut makes it pack nicely in my pipes. The smoke is a little unremarkable. I mean it smokes well enough, cool, even, and mellow, but it has little flavor or room note. It's not unpleasant mind you, just ok. It's a good all 'round under achiever for a rainy day staring out the window into the back garden.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Half tasteless, half aroma-less.. But 100% crappy stuff. Burley based tobacco with no taste. I cannot understand how something terrible as this can survive for so long. It seems like horrid cigarette smoke to me. Needless to say I hate cigarettes.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Searching through the Orlik website I came across this perennial favorite. Count me as uninformed, I didn't know it was possible that Orlik could have acquired such a horrible tobacco. And, according to their description, it is indeed a half burley and half virginia mix--another surprise. I've heard the claim before, though I always discounted the idea. I just naturally assumed that the Pinkerton people went about collecting cigarette butts off of parking lots and threw it all in a cement mixer with a fair portion of potpourri.

Amazing how anybody could screw up perfectly good tobacco this bad.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (41)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

It seems like there are mixed feelings on this blend. I am personally of the crowd that likes it. I'm not really all that crazy about it but I do enjoy it. The smell from the pouch can put some people off, but I like it because we have a jar of potpourri that smells EXACTLY like this. For those of you who don't know what potpourri is imagine a very heavy bourbon mixed with citrus and cinnamon. Tasty, but will definitely put some people off. Tastes like a basic burley with a little added sweetness and (maybe) mulling spice. No bite, and could definitely smoke this all day if i wanted to. Just not to everyone's liking.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

whippersnapper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whippersnapper (6)

For the life of me, I simply cannot understand why all the negative reviews of this brand. What do people expect from a pouch they paid less than $5 for???? H&H is a quality burley blend as far as OTC's go. The only thing I can think of that would explain all the negative reviews is that either A.} the reviewers are inexperienced with OTC blends and haven't triedvery many. They have probably only tried the fancier pipe tobacco blends. and B.} they probably never smoked cigarettes. Former cigarette smokers will find themselves right at home with H&H. If you've only ever smoked pipes and cigars, you'll probably be unimpressed with this and all other burley based OTC's.

All in all, H&H is nothing spectacular, it doesn't try and impress you by pretending it's something it isn't. It reveals to you what it is from the first puff and stays true to itself right on through to the last. It's a straight up burley based blend that will satisfy with it's bold burley flavor. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: drug store

Similar Blends: most other OTC Brands..

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Simple and cheap smoke, along the lines of Carter Hall. If you like burley then give this a shot. One of my regular smokes, tasty, nutty, easy to smoke.

I often see bad reviews on long standing quality tobacco like this one, the reason? snobbery, plain and simple. Many new generations of pipe smokers seem to forget that pipe smoking is about rest and relaxation, smoking what pleases you and nothing more. While I do not disagree that sampling different blends is nice you have to keep in mind that most pipe smokers don't have the so called rotation or buy hundreds of different tins of foo foo blends.

Take it for what it is, for what it promises to be: a straight forward and relaxing smoke, nothing else. Want complexity? look elswere, as in a different price range, don't complain about the quality of a ford focus when you are used to driving a corvette.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very very good all day smoke. Easy on the tongue as it is on the wallet. I have many tobaccos in my cellar that I dont enjoy nearly as much as this fine tasting blend. I feel that you really need to use a well burley seasoned pipe to get this tobacco. Keep telling yourself that you need to spend $5 an ounce on pipe tobacco before its any good. If Pease had his label on this blend, and a $50 per/lb price tag. The internet tobacco experts would all sing its praise.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Half 'n Half. Half pipe tobacco 'n half brush fire. Up to about the late 50s H&H was a common and well-regarded smoke among the Proletariat of my home town and I have plenty of fond memories of it adding to the ambiance of the rural shooting/conservation club my Dad belonged to. A trap shoot or work day wouldn't have been the same without a half-dozen of the men smoking H&H. Somewhere about 1967-68 they came out with H&H cigarettes (which weren't too good) and it seems shortly thereafter H&H pipe tobacco changed, for the worse. Have tried H&H with hopeful heart off and on several times since then for sheer Nostalgia's sake and every time have reached the same conclusion. Friends don't let friends smoke Half & Half.

Mark O Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark O (6)

This "old codger burley" smells nice in the pouch and has a pleasant room note. It burns well and produces a fairly fine ash. It starts out pleasantly sweet; however, the problem I have with this tobacco is an almost overwhelming "cough syrup", chemical taste. I found it so displeasing I threw the pouch away after only a partial bowl. I didn't even elect to add it to my mixed tobacco jar. I love coder burleys but Half and Half is just not for me.....

Pipe Used: Old England #44 Canadian Briar

artielon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
artielon (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This one´s a stinger. If you´re stuck with some, mix it with something very mellow to get a smoother smoke. Lights well, burns well, tastes sharp - recommended (with reservations) to novice smokers. No special flavors to confuse (or thirll) you. Availability a plus (to me). Look elsewhere for an experience to remember. Later: mixed this 40:60 with McBaren´s Vanilla and got a very smooth and satisfying smoke!

Pipe Used: Falcon Coolway with filter

Age When Smoked: fresh from pouch

Purchased From: R-kioski, Finland

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (32)

Going to try and give this tobacco an honest review that it deserves. I see a lot of people saying that it's unsmokeable and absolutely disgusting, which it is not.

The pouch note is that of a nutri-grain bar. I want to say the word berry or the smell of blueberry but don't let it fool you. It is not a sticky goopy tobacco. It's actually pretty dry and at the right moisture level for smoking right out of the pouch.

It packs easily and burns very evenly. The smoke is pretty much mild on all fronts. Not too much Vitamin N, there is a hint of flavoring that I can't put my finger on, but it's there. PhillyB has a really good review of this and I pretty much agree with that poster's assesment of the baccy.

There isn't too much to rave about but to hear people say they would never smoke this if it was the last tobacco on earth kind of boggles my mind. It is not THAT bad and in a pinch, it could suffice (especially in a cob as it gets a little sweeter and nuttier)

It's a standard steak and potatoes burley pipe tobacco blend. If you want a tobacco to get a feel for a new pipe or to break it in/build a cake, this could be the one to leave in your cellar. If you're looking for a tobacco to refresh a bowl after a S/A treatment, this could be the one. If you're interested in tyring out a pipe and are afriad of Perique, not interested in Latakia, don't understand Orientals or are afraid of VAs, this could be the one. If you're looking for a cheap tobacco that has a great flavor, this probably isn't the one

I could see reviewers giving this a 3 but when compared to Prince Albert or Carter Hall and the other great OTC blends, I think this falls a little short. For that, it gets two stars.

Pipe Used: Cobs, Briars and Mortas

Similar Blends: John Middleton, Inc - Carter Hall, Prince Albert - Prince Albert.

I have had decent luck with some of the OTC blends like Prince Albert and Carter Hall and I try to compare them to each other rather than to more expensive boutique tobaccos. Unfortunately, my experience with Half and Half just went from bad to worse. It starts with an awful pouch note that smells of medicine and goes downhill from there. In the pipe, I find the flavor to taste somewhat like burning plastic smells. It bites and will ghost a pipe. Whatever Virginia is in there, it is not of high quality and the Burley is well below average. There are simply better over the counter blends on the market. I also have a tip for those that say that it’s all about the price. If you compare the cost per ounce here in the US of Half and Half to the cost per ounce of a wide variety of bulk aromatics made by blenders like Lane Limited, Newminster, or Altadis you will find that they cost the same or are less expensive and of much higher quality. It is rare that I can’t find at least one redeeming quality in a pipe tobacco and as a result, I seldom post one star reviews. But Half and Half has well earned it.

SirWilliam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirWilliam (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a wonderful cut of tobacco, period! It must be packed loosely in order to fully enjoy the flavor of this tobacco. It has a liquer casing to it and that is evident upon opening a canister. I was always told the canister has a better flavor so I went with that suggestion. I can see why this has been around for so long. I like the cigarette-like taste as have millions of others who've come before me. This is not a "sit down and concentrate on my bowl" but a mild tobacco blend made for the everyday smoker who has an addiction to nicotine. This is one of those old everyman, everyday tobaccos that smokers buy habitually and smoke the same. For all the negative reviews, I can understand why they gave it a bad review. You almost have to "learn" how to smoke this blend to fully enjoy it. Otherwise, this is a great go-to blend and will always be in my rotation along with SWR.

Jocose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jocose (12)

Being a proud member of the Briar root association, I take a risk reviewing such a tobacco as Half and Half, as the association strictly forbids the use of certain aromatics.

Honestly, I view Half and Half as more of a 'scented' tobacco rather than an 'aromatic' tobacco. :)

The natural light scent of cloves and spice is what I enjoy in this old codger burley.

It's mild in taste and nic, has a great room note, and also has a long standing history.

I do prefer the fuller taste and nicotine punch provided by tobaccos like ropes or plugs, but I've always had this in my rotation. For me, its almost a sentimental smoke, as it was one of the first tobaccos I tried while growing up.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

What I expected was a simple burley. What I got was something that was sweetened far too much. There was some sort of flavoring added that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It tastes almost like it smells so smell some before you buy it.

It's not horrible but it's not grand either. Not something I would smoke every day or even every week. Taste buds are taste buds and your millage may vary. I won't throw it out but it will be a while in the old mason jar before I smoke it again. Maybe it will mellow with age.

Bub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bub (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried smoking this right after I bought it. I didn't like the taste that much. After leaving the pouch open for two weeks on the table, it's much better. The flavor is more subtle now. Not too bad really for the price. Just make sure you let it dry out a lot before trying to smoke it. If the taste is still too strong you can cut it with Prince Albert or Carter Hall maybe. Just a little of this flavoring goes a long way.

harvestnpeace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
harvestnpeace (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

I did it again! Bought a pouch after doing a run for some more PA to break in another new meerschaum.Been a while since I bought this, actually only remembering I didnt like it much...So why Did I do it again, I guess Being a Burley fan, I figured my buds might have changed, nope! no! notaH! I like the smell alot in the pouch & it looks like very good Burley, I like the cut, easy to pack, smokes simple, no relights, smells like raisinets.I realise now that its WAY artificial Burley, too much casing I believe.It's No Prince! The smell at first will have you believing its going to be really good, dont be fooled.No matter how much I slowly slightly draw n sip, its basically instant acid tongue bite! It taste okay for the first few nice puffs, then goes to a terrible tongue rashing that cant let me enjoy the flavor. If you like that nutty flavor of Burley, There is NONE in here! over 2 days, I smoked 5 bowls trying to figure out what the heck it is that I cant stand about it, I am smoking a cheap cigarette now, & its heaven compared to a half n half bowl! Now the flavor is off my tongue, Yeah its that bad. I can't recomend this to anyone."Like what You Smoke,Smoke What You like", Alot of folx like this, No offense to them, my taste buds hate it, & this is the only Burley That makes me feel sick.Not for me EVER Again.Just my opinion,So dont necessarily take anyones opinion. You just need to try it, hey You might like it. The rest of my pouch is going far away so I cant smell it again.

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Even to a new smoker I wouldn't recommend this. There is no flavor the room note isn't very good. It doesn't burn well, I thought there was to much dottle. No matter what style pipe I smoked nothing improved the flavor. Indoors/outdoors, Night/Day, Breezy/Calm, Cold/Hot nothing made this better.

I love pinkerton to death, perhaps because it is made in the area my relatives are from, perhaps because I have been outside their main offices, maybe because my grandad liked their tobaccos, but I can't bring myself to give this in my personal notes more than a .5 out of ten. I have a pound of this at home unopened, it might stay that way for 30 years, who knows maybe in desperate times I'll smoke it.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

Being a burley smoker, I have no problem with smoking drug store tobaccos. That being said, this is one blend that I will avoid in the future. It was harsh, full of humectant and tasted bitter. It packs a bit of a bite as well. For those looking for a burley blend, there are far better ones available in the same price range. Prince Albert or would be a far better choice.

I would smoke my own shit before I load another pipe with this stuff.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked H&H for many years and still do once in a while. I now prefer Riverboat Gambler by C&D. In my opinion, similar, but pleasingly stronger than H&H and contains no preservative.

H&H must be sipped, not gulped. It has one of the finest aroma's to ever be sniffed. Taste is excellent, as well.

I would never hesitate to recommend it to any pipe smoker. After all, it has stood the test of time and deserves respect for its enduring success. In my opinion, one of the finest tobacco's ever produced among others such as Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh.

Smoke it slowly and savor the experience or it will get hot and goopy because it contains a preservative. Best enjoyed in bulk (tin) rather than the pouch.

Everyone should try Half and Half. It's a classic.

UPDATE: 08/01/2009

I must say I have reduced the recommendation to "Somewhat Recommended". I recently sampled some after a very long time. Simply put, it is not what it used to be. In my opinion the change is they have removed the herb deer-tongue from this blend. The herb is increasingly difficult to come by these days. It adds what I call a rich-vanilla or cinnamon-apple flavor depending on how much is used in a blend. If you are looking for a replacement, try a new blend by C&D called "Gentleman Callers". It picks up where H&H has left off!

Bentley Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bentley Cavendish (4)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a newbie to pipe smoking so my review is for those at my stage of smoking.

I tried a pouch of this and found it extremely harsh and overpowering (for my taste buds). Aroma out of the pouch was very nice with the berries and all, but in the bowl it tasted antiseptic and harsh. Lots of bite on the tongue, too. Blechhh.

The cob I smoked it in was tainted by the tobac and it took a number of bowls of Captain Black White to eradicate the nasty, artificial-smelling cranberry stench of Half & Half. Was it a bad batch? Maybe I just don't like this brand/blend (far more likely).

Half & Half is readily available at Rite Aid drug stores, but I didn't see it at CVS (and won't be looking for it). When I got done smoking this over an evening's time I came to the conclusion this was the kind of tobac that folks who bash "drug store" brands have in mind. After the experience the taste in my mouth was reminiscent of a chemical plant or an industrial warehouse. Might work for you, not for me.

I have shelved the remainder of the pouch. Chances are I may fob this stuff off on some other novice who professes a liking for the berry blends before I ever dip into it again. I would not recommend a newbie start with this tobac, but "each dog to his own tree," as the saying goes. What doesn't work for me may certainly light your fire and as I've been reading along with the reviews it seems the brand/blend has its supporters...

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I sure hope that the stuff I've tried to smoke on several occasions over the past two months is not the popular stuff of old. It's one thing to learn that your father is not superman, that he's just a normal, flawed soul. It's another thing entirely--and oh so heartbreaking--to learn that his palate and sniffer were both busted.

I'm pretty sure I've had a whole bowl of it now after a half dozen episodes of fumus interruptus. I now feel qualified to announce...

This stuff is awful.

There's a vague and unpleasant anise-like aroma that drifts off this nasty blend. And the series of part-bowls I forced down made me feel like I was sucking on the business end of a blowtorch.

The world is full of good Virginias and Burleys. Try one of them instead.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

After years of hearing how this was a much loved American classic tobacco, and seeing a box in the tobacco shop, I thought I would try it out. It had an odd smell, not bad, just different. Had just the right amout of moisture and lit right up. Had lots and lots of nice smoke. Then it started to go out and until halfway into the bowl, didnt burn without relighting it. It became VERY hot! Too hot to hold the pipe and it felt like I was sucking on a hair dryer. Had an ok aroma. While I can see where some people may like this, and it isnt "bad", its not for me. I will probably finish what I have over a long period of time, but in this level of tobacco I think Carter Hall is a much better choice. I think my grandfather smoked this, but am not sure. Well Gramps, this bowl was for you, but I dont think there will be many more. Sorry.

Silver Spigot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Spigot (18)

Severe tongue bite. I'm convinced that the very nice aroma of this blend has lured thousands to try it...the resulting blisters on the tongue has also driven those thousands to abandon the pipe altogether. Avoid, for the sake of your mouth.

bull Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bull (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Strong

I've only been a Pipe smoker for about 1 year now so I am no expert. I mostly smoked aromatics until recently when I tried Half and Half then Prince Albert. Half and Half well there was nothing I liked about it it was bitter and the smell was not pleasant at all it seemed to burn hot. Maybe it is an aquired taste that I probably will not aquire. I have made Prince Albert my new everyday smoke. I will also smoke the aromatic mixes from the tobacco store but Half and Half is on my do not try again list.

rattler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattler (9)
Mild Medium Medium Strong

Another blend that was recommended to me by the forum I frequent.

I truly wish they had not! The flavor is terrible and it bites like a rabid pitbull. If this stuff is your cup of tea enjoy, but I can't recommend this tobacco.

Mild to Medium Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This gunk is truly barely smokable. I know that one's not supposed to compare drugstore blends to the real thing, but this is aweful even compared to Granger and others. Pure chemical taste, no tobacco whatsoever, and a rabid tongue biter.

As a reviewer said: if this was all I had to smoke, I'd quite smoking without a second thought.

SirShaggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirShaggy (28)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Wow. This is one that had me running. I opened it up, then gaged a little. I don't like raisin's, cranberries or whatever the heck they put in the can! Reminded me of Raisin Bran cereal only stronger. I stuffed it in a pipe anyway, thought maybe it tasted good. Guess I was wrong for thinking. I really didn't get much flavor, what I got I couldn't describe to you, go lick someone's foot-that would be close! At the end of the first bowl, I could smell an ammonia smell! I thought I must be crazy. I tried again a day later, there it was again, good ole ammonia. Must be my chemistry............

PipeSmokerForLife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmokerForLife (10)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Let's face it, if they could package a Hemlock flavored tobacco, I'd prefer smoking that over Half & Half. Case closed!

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Update: 9-24-10 attempted again foolishly this stuff is shit. never again

Update: after some storage time, this stuff is Still Awfull. Really makes you wonder why these old blends are still around

Best thing for this mulch is in Potpourri

it smells half way good

Sooner or later most pipe smokers are gonna sample the grocery store blends. Its just our nature. Half & Half? Hmmm

just don't do it. absolutely awfull.

If this was all I had to smoke, I'd quit

bigpipe61 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigpipe61 (6)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Tolerable

I was under the assumption from the amount of people in my area who enjoyed this tobacco that I had been missing out on some "diamond in the rough" of drugstore brands. This smoke was the second to worst I have ever had. There was not sweet virginia flavor, not nuttiness from the burley, and the bite was horrible. The tobacco itself seems to be of questionable quality and the flavorings tast so...FAKE. I would not recomend this tobacco to anyone, and if the flavor has changed in the past 20 or 30 years as I have heard it has, then I hope Half and Half will some day return to its former glory and then I will buy another pouch. Until then, this stuff is not for me.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I've recently been trying some US drugstore brands and this was next up. I got a 50g pouch made in the EU under license from Pinkerton.

As soon as I opened the pouch I knew all was not right. I was expecting a simple straight burley and this was heavily cased. Almost like the US version of Erinmore with a heavy Juicy Fruit tang. Being wary of this I filled up an old cheap briar. The smoke was OK being relatively smooth and bite free but the casing overwhelmed being far too fruity and tangy for me. I recognised the scent and racked my brains for ages trying to think what it was and now I have it - the UK 'energy' drink "Red Bull"...

I found the scent to linger in the air and stick to my clothes constantly reminding me of Half & Half. Not to be put off, 24 hours later I packed a second bowl. After striking a match, igniting the weed and inhaling the aroma I immediately dumped the load, this stuff just makes me gag. Maybe it's just a body chemistry thing.

The pouch has a slogan "A cargo of contentment in the bowl of any pipe". Not for me I'm afraid, this one had me running for the hills. This one is half tobacco and half foul tasting casing.

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

I don't know why I dislike this blend so much because the topping aroma is very similar to Carter Hall, which I enjoy. H&H has a coarser cut and its color is darker, but the pouch aroma of H&H and Carter Hall seem very similar. When a match hits it, though, H&H looses all of its charm. I have never made it through more than half a bowl before it makes me nauseous.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Why does this taste so bad to me? I don't know, I wish I knew. The only drugstore Burley I can tolerate to any degree is Prince Albert. I don't know why, I wish I knew. Man, I can't even taste tobacco hardly in this. It smells like tobacco and who knows what else in the bag, then you put the match to it and the inside of your head is instantly coated in chocolate raisins for the next two hours. Do not attempt at home.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Strong

Pouch: This is ribbon, cut into small pieces(fine cut), and smells like cheap hot-cinnamon and chocolate candy, so powerful it can be smelt outside the resealed pouch.(One reviewer called it a typical medicinal burley smell.) No fruity presentation at all, H&H is a classic aromatic blend where the added casings predominate over the untreated tobacco qualities.

Lighting & Packing: The chemical accelerant got it to light up easily. H&H is sticky, and leaves a residue on the fingers when it's rolled into a ball. Aromatics will definitely put down a cake around the inside of your bowl. I smoked them for 27 years and it took a drill and grinding bit to get back down to briar or Meerschaum, in my current set of pipes, before I finally got edumacated to quality tobaccos described in TobaccosReviews.com. That's why this review is based on a corncob.

Taste & Aroma: Supposing this is half VA bright flake, it is impossible to detect it over the casing. I have some C&D's #170 Bright Flake blending tobacco, so I know what it should be like. None of the VA tang is present in H&H. I do not detect a natural burley like that which is present in C&D's Pegasus, which I am also currently sampling.

Nicotine: mild to medium

Room Note: low quality scented candles; industrial, synthetic, plastic

Overall: Burleys are known, and often used, for their ability to absorb and drink up flavorings. Unfortunately, after having read the reviews, I have been unable to get one review out of my head, the association of the smell of H&H to urinal cake. This is an undue emphasis, but, "for a nickel more, you can go first class."

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

No self respecting pipe smoker should even venture into this tobacco hell. Yes, it's that bad.

ABSSiegel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ABSSiegel (21)

An okay burley, but there's so many better drug store burley blends out there. It's the kind of tobacco to smoke when you're down to your last bit of tobacco. Look elsewhere to spend five bucks,

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Strong

A wretchedly bad concoction, conjuring images of toothless hillbillies with corncobs.

This is the foulest tasting, smelling and looking alleged pipe tobacco I've ever had the bad misfortune to ignite.

A real steaming pile.

priccobe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
priccobe (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Overwhelming Strong

I bought some of this based on the recommendation of my father-in-law who used to smoke this when he was younger. I normally smoke Virginias and Balkans so I bought a corncob for this blend to make sure I don't ruin any of my current pipes. Let me tell you, this stuff was absolutely and genuinely horrible. The smell of it in the foil pouch reminded me of a used urinal cake in a dirty gas station men's room. I almost gagged. Cloves? I don't think so. Upon lighting some of the foulest smelling and tasting smoke wafted up through the air and caused one of my cats to run out of the room. I immediately went out into the garage and continued smoking this awful weed to see if it had any hint of possible redemption. It didn't. I dipped the pipe in a bucket of water and threw it and the tobacco straight into the trash. I ran inside and rinsed my mouth out with Captain Morgan to get rid of the dreadful taste in my mouth. If this site let you dish out negative scores, this "tobacco" would get a minus 4. This was absolutely, unequivocally the WORST experience I've EVER had smoking a pipe.

Don't squander any of your time or money on this, you'll go to your grave cursing the manufacturer for the moments of your life wasted smoking it.

Like someone else said, life is too short to waste it on bad, atrocious, god-awful, stinking, foul, garbage tobacco.

Isaiah 53:3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Isaiah 53:3 (8)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I was surprised that I didn't care for this blend. There was not a very noticeable burley flavor. It was a very flat tasting tobacco for me. Perhaps I had a bad pouch, or the "bright leaf" displaced the burley flavor.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I do think Mr. Dottle was just a bit to harsh in his rating. I'd give Half and Half a 0.001000600402 out of 10.

With so many fine blends from which to choose, why settle for one without any redeeming qualities?

porterman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porterman (4)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Hot burning straw and alfalfa, Wanted to like this Old School Tobac, and couldn't find anything about it to like..Bland at first, smokes hot and degrades into some horrible chemical tasting monster...pitched the rest of it.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

HALF of this blend was very bad. The other HALF was not nearly as good. This ?old gray mare? ain?t (can?t be) what she used to be???..

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 0.001000600401 out of 10.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Hot air that bites the tongue and gets acidic (bitter) quickly.

To each his own.

Briarfire007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarfire007 (10)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

I really wanted to like this blend. I went to 3 different smoke shops to pick up a pack of this classic. It's easy to see by reading all the reviews here that there are a bunch of folks who really like this one, but it's not for me. The smoke had a foul taste that sort of turned my stomach. I won't be trying another bowl. Not recommended.

Howlin' Wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Howlin' Wolf (10)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I smoked Half and Half when I started out with pipes about a year ago. I really liked it a lot. Plus it's readily available everywhere, and is inexpensive.

I'm honestly not trying to be a tobacco snob -really I'm not, but when I went back to H&H after trying some high end tobaccos I noticed a very unpleasant melted plastic flavor that I hadn't noticed before. That was the end of H&H for me.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This was boring. I bought the 50g pouch because I remembered the name and it felt like a better buy than the rest of the bags in the convenience store, but no. I should have bought the Borkum Riff or the Greve Hamilton standards 'cause this one was just plain boring. A dark, dull Burley taste, makes it possible to use it as a blending base for some interesting Latakia home made mixes though. On its own, don't bother.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

The smell in the pouch was medicinal. I was uneasy about even trying it, after I lit the bowl it actually tasted just like it smelled, possibly menthol or eucalyptus. Not for beginners as this would turn you off the pipe altogether, if this was all you thought tobacco could be, by the way I detected no Virginia flavor at all. Maybe the pouch/box I purchased was not mixed properly but I can see no reason to burden yourself with this mixture.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Half & Half - Oh how I wanted to like this. It would be great to find a blend and brand that you can pick up just about anywhere for a low cost. I'm sorry but this is ghastly stuff. I nearly gaged from the tin aroma and that aroma stayed with me throughout the smoke. A lot of effort went into trying to like this one. I truly wanted to become somewhat of an "old school" smoker...one of those guys who just doesn't like real expensive stuff but I guess I am just ruined. Ick!

Tom Bruce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bruce (19)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This ain't your pappy's Half & Half. One of the joys of sitting at my grandfather's knee as he puffed on his H&H was the tremendous aroma of both the tin and the smoke. Sort of like flavored wood chips. Sensual and warming. Nothing else smelled like H&H. Well, as you will read here and elsewhere, H&H has changed over the years. I recently tried a pouch and found that it has no distinguishing aroma at all, and flavorwise, smoking it is not unlike smoking a cigarette through a very strong filter. Although it lights and burns like a good tobacco should, I find nothing here to recommend it. Only my Scot heritage demands that I finish this one and only pouch as alas, my memories of this blend are all pipe dreams.*An Update: I found a use for this baccy: I mixed it (half and half) with Solani Green Blend to cut the over-the-top Apple flavor. I ended up with not-too-bad a smoke. So, instead of throwing out two dreaded tobaccos, I have a blend I can enjoy.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

What possessed me to buy this, I don't know. I went in to a tobacco outlet to get pipe cleaners, saw this stuff for a buck and 67 cents, and said, "Why Not?" I wanted to like this, I really did, but when I opened the pouch and saw the cut, which reminded me of decomposing grass clippings, I knew it wasn't going to be great. The smoke tasted of hot steam. And this stuff will really gum up your pipe. The room note is not terribly pleasant and I found no enjoyment whatsoever. If you want a mild aromatic tobacco, please go to your tobacconist and find a bulk lane offering that you like, or order it offline. I will never find 1Q to be poor quality again. Not recommended at all.

Dizzy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dizzy (13)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

In my attempt not to be a tobacco snob, I once in a while pick up some drugstore blends. I was pleasantly surprised with Capt Black White a few years ago, though I never could finish the pouch. But Half-and-Half is perhaps the most god-awful thing I've ever tasted. It seems overcased with some kind of cheap whiskey which gives the smoke a sickly syrupy thickness that is beyond any conception I had had of wretched. Granted, I may have gotten a bad batch, it had probably been sitting on the shelf far too long. But even if this is so, the lurking potential will forever unsettle me whenever I espy this on a tobacconist's shelf. If you're one to use leaches to improve circulation, you might consider using Half-and-Half as an emetic.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Half and Half may be the best of the "drugstore" blends, but that isn't saying much. If you had nothing else and were really in the mood to smoke a pipe, this would suffice, but otherwise I can't see reaching for this with the hundreds of better tobaccos available.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

As others of you, I wanted to like this for sentimental reasons and the fact that it is relatively inexpensive. I still remember Grandad sitting by the fireplace in his easy chair smoking this in one of his Dr. Grabows. But this being one of the few tobaks I've dumped after a minute or two of smoking it.....well, you get the picture. Kept the pouch for a reminder. Nuff sed. It just doesn't work for me.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Half & Half. April 2004. "Dreadful" One of the worst bland & dull tobaccos,I have ever had the displeasure of smoking! Definitely no quality here. 1 out 10

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I found this to burn too hot and is just not as good as many other blends of this ilk... if you are in a pinch I recommend Prince Albert over this any day of the week.

Incanus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Incanus (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Strong

I am sorry but this stuff is vile. I can't stand the smell of it burning and yet I subjected one of my cobs and smoked 1 bowl. A lot of puffers love this stuff, I don't.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I tried this blend purely for nostalgia.My grandfater smoked this blend.Being that I find burley boring this was sort of like smoking water for me.one bowl full was enough to see that it's not for me.I will however try it later in life.I hear that it tends to grow on you over the years, when your tastebuds finally expode from flavor over load.This statement must be true because a much older friend of mine just bought a pound of the stuff....Move On! prep

ArtGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArtGuy (8)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I smoked this blend as a start to pipe smoking. It made me put down the pipe and smoke cigars for the next 4 years. I have sworn off burly since. Just simply terrible weed.

Bitter, sour with a ton of bite. I certainly do not reccomend this to anyone.

alandp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alandp (5)
Medium Medium Very Full Strong

This is only the second review I have posted, and I am not very eloquent at writing reviews, but I will start this one by stating that there should be another level of recommendation just for this tobacco. It should go something like, "Not my cup of tea. Do not plan on trying it again. Not only that, but if I ever find myself downwind of anyone smoking it I will run away as fast as I can. In fact, even the sight of a box sitting on a drugstore shelf is enough to make me queasy." I'm glad there are still lots of folks who like this--it is an old American tobacco with lots of history and heritage. I'm just not one of them. The pouch smell is intense and to me, unidentifiable. I tried mine in a cob and only made it about halfway through the bowl before I gave up and dumped it out. For a year afterward anything with a decent amount of burley in it would give me H&H flashbacks. I consider it fortunate that it didn't completely ruin my old corncob that I put it in. I don't usually comment on tobaccos that I dislike, other than to say something vague like "I didn't care for it," because I don't want to turn someone away from something that might turn out to be their favorite smoke. But I just can't keep quiet on this one. I absolutely hated it.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Considering how many folks have tried this abomination early in their careers, it's amazing that anyone smokes a pipe at all.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Strong

I bought this and Carter Hall on a whim and have to say I was disappointed. This stuff was not my kind of tobacco at all. It had all the things I don't like in a tobacco in full effect. A chemical tasting casing, and propylene glycol were in abundance. I find that Velvet is a much better smoke for a cheap drug store smoke.

Greenleaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greenleaf (7)

Half & Half looks like dead grass and tastes only half as bad. I tried this blend when I was less seasoned of a smoker and found it to be the most base and revolting substance that had ever been set on fire. As my tastes have matured, I recently decided to give these putrid leaves another chance. I found the flavor tangy and I must admit that for a moment I found it a refreshing change of pace from my usual cavendish. Notwithstanding, the strong odor violated my pipe with extreme prejudice. I was tasting that essence of urine in that briar for over a week after sampling Pinkerton's Puke. I definitely reccomend that you try it -- in a corncob. You will either love it or have a scary story to tell your grandchildren.

dangpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dangpipes (22)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

A friend of mine smokes this regularly and I enjoyed the room armoma. I have smoked burleys for many years and finally got around to trying this one. I can only say that I was disappointed.

It is not necessarily a bad tobacco, it just tasted flat to me. I expect a bit of depth and richness in a tobacco and found this to be lacking. It burned smoothly and well, but I didn't really enjoy the experience. Flat is the word that keeps coming to mind. The taste was hollow and dry with nothing to entertain my tongue.

I have decided to let it sit for a while and try it again someday to see if the experience is the same, or perhaps better.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

This is not your father's Half and Half. First of all the new "improved cut" is great if your rolling your own cigs, otherwise this extra thin ribbon cut burns like a forest fire in August. The original was a granular cut that burned slowly almost simmering in your pipe. Next we have the pouch aroma. This reminds me of my youthful favorite, Peach Brandy. In any event the generous amount of casing seems to be hiding some low quality tobacco. Then again what do you want for a few bucks?

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I tried Half&Half about a month ago after a 25 year hiatus. This stuff was very moist coming from a pouch. Taste was sour to bitter. My wife did not like the aroma at all.

My step-father smoked Half&Half regularly. I do not remember this blend being bitter or sour tasting. I would occasionaly take a bowl in my youth and had no problems with it.

Either Half&Half or I have changed. I gave the rest to a cavendish smoking co-worker who found it to be too strong.

Alas, my step-father and Half&Half. What fond memories.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An adequate tobacco, bitey at the edges, with a mysterious cloying undertaste that I don't admire. Cheap, available, avoidable.

(Beware: the aroma stays with the pipe.)

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Tolerable

I once found myself stuck in the mountains of NC with many pipes and no tobacco . The only store for miles had several pipe tobaccos and since I was not accustomed to smoking the drug store blends I stocked up . I can't say that I liked this one , but it was better than nothing . At the time I was very happy to have it . That was four years ago and I think the half full pouch is still under the seat of my truck . I wonder if it has aged well ?

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

eck. I tried this once when I ran out of baccy and couldn't get to the pipe shop. This tasted and smelled like cigarette tobacco in a can, which is fine if you like cigarettes. And I like to of never got the propylene glycol dreck out of that pipe, and finally had to throw it away because it wouldn't smoke right anymore.

Govangogh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Govangogh (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

First, the good points, It smells great in the pouch and it smells great when someone else is smoking it but the smell and the taste are very different things. I have tried this tobacco on many occasions over the years, I think because I really wanted to like it. It is so American, I just wanted to give it a fair chance.....But the quality is so poor, I have always ended up disappointed, With a nice burnt tongue. It is a tobacco that is best left in the pouch for smelling and not for smoking. This tobacco is the reason a lot of budding pipe smokers give up and forget the pipe alltogether. The Burley/Virginia idea is a good one but this blend could have used a little more TLC and a little less PG. Arnold Smith

hink Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hink (1)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Pinkerton Tobacco Co has attempted to maintain this brand from the original American Tobacco Co. For my money, this is the old standby. I started smoking this over 25 years ago and still enjoy it. Over the years I have determined that it smokes best for me in a medium to small size apple shaped bowl.

The cut is sort of a thin shag and the color of the strands goes from light brown to dark brown. According to the manufacturer, it is a combination of burley and bright tobacco. This is about the only hint you get as to what is in it. I wouldn't be suprised if it had a hint of Turkish in it. It finger packs well and lights right up. It's the only tobacco I can smoke while driving without paying attention to how I pack or light. A lot of the time I only light it once, and it burns to the bottom of the bowl just fine. The taste for me runs from a sort of nutty flavor at the outset to a semi-sweet caramel at the end. Puffing in short constant puffs brings out the flavor better than long draws. I actually enjoy it more in my hotter smoking pipes than in the larger, cooler ones.

I almost wrote this tobacco off a long time ago when I tried to smoke it exclusively in larger billliard pipes. However, I now have a special set of small straight apples that keep this tobacco in my daily routine.

I still try new and different tobacco blends, but I always return to this one as a long trusted friend and smoke for the long drives.

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (17)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

I have no idea what the topping/casing is on this stuff (variously descibed as anise or fruit) but it disagrees with me in no uncertain terms. I have tried letting the tobacco "breathe", sometimes overnight, with no relief. I cannot get past two or three draws before the taste gags me and I have to dump it out.

I have attributed this to the topping/casing, but I guess it could be some other additive. Because of this reaction I cannot really gauge the strength of the blend. Some pipesters like this (obvious by those four star ratings) but I cannot recommend it.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Corncobs

Age When Smoked: from tin

Purchased From: local b&m

Similar Blends: Granger.

CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (21)
Extremely Strong Strong Overwhelming Extra Strong

I tried this many years ago and did not care for it. Recently I purchased pouch to give it another chance on the thought taht, maybe, my tastes have changed. I was wrong. This stuff is little better than cigarette tobacco. It may be very good cagarette tobacco, I wouldn't know not being a cig smoker, but none the less... I simply cannot bring myself to like it. However, if you are transitioning to pipes from cigarettes, this stuff may be a good "crossover" tobacco. Until you can be introduced to something better.

Pipe Used: Cobs

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (33)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Half and Half is a smoking mixture that has been around since time immemorial, but it has not always been exactly the same.

Since pouch and tin declare "burley and bright", many have concluded this is an even mixture of burley and bright Virginia. It isn't, and never has been. This is a burley forward mixture with some Virginia. The "half and half" comes from its origin as a mixture of Lucky Strike smoking tobacco and something known as Buckingham Cut Plug. (You can find pictures of the tins on the internet under tobacco memorabilia.) For a brief time about 40 years ago a manufactured Half and Half cigarette was available.

During most of its long history Half and Half was a product of the American Tobacco Company. Somewhere along the way it wound up with Pinkerton, and then with Lane Ltd., Lane now being a part of the Scandinavian Tobacco Group.

For decades Half and Half has declared "cool smoking/ improved cut." The cut is fairly fine, and lights very easily. It smokes cool enough if puffed gently, but the fine cut will produce heat and bite if puffed aggressively.

The pouch (or tub) aroma is a bit off beat. Half and Half has a clearly discernible casing of anise or licorice. Traditionally it was top noted with cinnamon and clove. Lane's website notes a hint of cherry. Both with and before Lane, the sniff taste does not really discern the flavoring. The same is true with the smoking taste. Half and Half is a semi-aromatic, but the precise flavor is hard to describe.

The room note is equally a mystery. It is not quite natural tobacco, it is not quite aromatic. I personally find the aroma OK. The nicotine level is a bit below normal for a burley forward tobacco.

Pinkerton had some quality control issues. Lane Ltd. does not. But it seems to me that with Lane that the recipe has been altered. Lane's version is distinctly the better.

The current version of Half and Half provides a decent smoke in the budget priced category. It is far from being a gourmet product, but I find it to be a more than passable low price offering.

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (24)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Around here, drugstore blends were what the old timers smoked when I was a kid. This is one of those blends, and although I've been smoking a pipe off and on for about 10 years, I had never tried this blend until recently. Let me just say this: it isn't for everyone. No, it's not the finest grade of tobacco. No, it is not a complex blend. Will it bite? Yup, like a junkyard dog if you don't watch it. So why do I recommend it? Because it is what it is: a classic American burley blend with some young VA's thrown in somewhere (I can taste them about half-way through). Try it with your morning coffee and you'll see why old-timers loved it as well. It's one of my go-to wake-up smokes (the other being Sutliff's Great Outdoors).

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Similar Blends: Prince Albert, SWR.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

To me, this blend is very different than the other classic American burley blends. The licorice or anise topping is very noticeable in pouch note, room note, and flavor. I do not understand how smokers cannot taste the topping in this. It does work well with the tobacco, and the classic burley nuttiness is never masked. I am sure the virginias add sweetness to the blend, but they are a bit hard to detect beneath the topping and the burly.

This is not a bad smoke by any means, most drug store tobaccos are quite good. It has a nice simple flavor and is very enjoyable. The topping leaves a sort of fresh or cool feeling in the mouth that is reminiscent of menthol cigarettes, although much less intense, and lacking the menthol flavor. Also, unlike Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, it is pretty moist in the pouch and can use a bit of drying out.

Personally I prefer Carter Hall but to each their own. This stuff is not half bad.

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

A good and cheap tobacco that gives yu what you expect. It's not the best around but for its price is very good. You've to love the gender because if you don't like it it's just a waste of time and money.

BigChairPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigChairPuffer (11)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Strong

Inexpensive, yes. Taste... nothing to write home about. Very moist in the package so keeping it lit will take some patience. There is a casing I can't quite decipher which gives it a slightly unique flavour. Not likely to be enjoyed by anyone else in the room with you...

Similar Blends: Sir Walter Raleigh.

cmirmd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cmirmd (1)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Hi! I have ordered cigarettes on site http://www.cigaretteking.webs.com My opinion: 1. free-tax, I did not have problems, it was packed good and in declaration it was written - a gift 2. good rank of brands for really competitive price 3. shipping is quite quick 4. managers always answer you

So, I can recommend it

Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

On a recent trip to the US I decided to try as many of the OTC or "drugstore" tobaccos as I could. Half & Half is the only one I could also get in most tobacconists over here in Germany, so I was hoping for a pleasant experience.

Upon opening the pouch, my first impression was that this was RYO cigarette tobacco being marketed as pipe tobacco to lower the tax. Both the look and the aroma were clearly those of cigarette tobacco. I even detected a very slight hint of something like menthol, which I don't like. The smoke left me with the same impression: RYO cigarette tobacco. I very rarely chuck tobacco, but in this case I did it with a clear conscience.

To sum it up, if you are a cigarette smoker wanting to try pipe smoking, then maybe this is for you. I will not buy nor smoke this tobacco again. If you are a true pleasure pipe smoker, then I would advise you to steer clear of H&H.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Update: I'm dropping my recommendation to two stars. I'm finding it burns to quickly and is too cigarette like.

First, the pouch aroma was offensive to me, however, it did not carry over to the smoke and as I continued through the pouch the pouch aroma became somewhat pleasing. I enjoy OTC blends - American classics actually - and often prefer them to tinned tobacco and continue to search for those I can stick with. I had tried H&H on previous occasions but this is the first time that I found myself liking it. It is a good simple one dimensional smoke and that is what I look for. I smoke a pipe to relax and forget life's complexities and the last thing I want is a complex smoke.

My father smoked H&H exclusively and it always smelled like home to me. He gave up the pipe for cigars in the 60's and I really missed the pipe tobacco aroma. I started smoking a pipe in the late 60's and having a tobacconist locally, I just bypassed drug store tobacco and it has only been the last couple of years I've starting smoking them. They are worthy tobacco blends and I now prefer them to tobacco shop "jar" tobacco. In all these years I've not found a bulk tobacco in a tobacco shop that is one I wanted to stick with. I'm actually finding more satisfying smoke in these classic American blends. As many reviewers have pointed out, they have been around for a hundred years for a reason. I will always have some tins of tobaccos around for an occasional treat but I have to tell you, I'm really stuck on the drug store stuff - simple, satisfying and reasonable price.

I find H&H to be a very pleasant smoke with decent nicotine and very little bite and my only problem with it is that it burns too quickly. I'm just getting into it and it is gone already. I recently purchased a tub of Granger which scratches the same itch as H&H but burns slower and I think has the edge on flavor as well. It does have more tongue bite though. Were it not for Granger, H&H would be a "go to" blend for me but I believe I will stick with Granger and enjoy a pouch of H&H on occasion. Like many others I enjoy it in a cob but I enjoy it more in a large bowl brier.

I have to give this tobacco a "recommended". This is definitely worthy of a try. I'm sure there are many people out there that would love this tobacco but they will never consider trying it. If I get bored with Granger and want a change of pace, I'll come back to this to fill the gap for sure.

As of now, I find Granger, Sugar Barrel and Walnut adequate to fill my mood and taste swings. I just wish there was greater availability of pouches of these classic blends. There are many others I would like to try that I can't find. I don't understand why stores no longer stock them. One day they were there, then they were gone.

I should mention that the pouch I bought last week was Pinkerton production. The shop only had Lane in the tub. I'll continue to look for a pouch of the Lane production as I want to sample that also.

PipeSmokinDaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmokinDaddy (1)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

This tobacco is, to be sure, an acquired taste. I didn't much like it when I started smoking a pipe; I found it bitter and biting. I would ask my father why he didn't come to the tobacconist's with me and pick out something more pleasant. His answer, typically, "Because you have a rich father and I don't!" As I aged and gained more experience with pipe smoking, I came to enjoy Half and Half more than the blends I was buying from the tobacconist's. It is now all I smoke. Unfortunately, it is getting harder to find because most smoke shops in my area are geared more for marihuana users (I live in Southern California) than they are old fashioned pipe smokers. No druggist or grocer within a reasonable distance carries it, either.

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (21)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Recommended to me by an 82 yr old friend who said he'd smoked it for 50 yrs. I smoked it from a cob or several cobs rather. I ended up giving the rest of the pouch to him. It was just too boring for me. Maybe if I smoked all day everyday it would be alright, but I just smoke 4-5 days a week and a couple a bowls in those days max, so I really try to get the most out of a blend. For historical value I can appreciate it, but not a regular in the rotation.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

An odd, old timey baccy. The anise was refreshing at first, but after 10 mintes it was a little too much, it sort of took over and ruined the experience for me. Glad I just got the pouch, I was eyeballing the large tin.

graygeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
graygeek (10)

Just a good honest smoke. Nothing fancy, just a good old time Virginia/burley blend. Not interesting enough for an all day smoke, but a nice change of pace. Will continue to buy this from time to time. No tongue bite, and a pleasant aroma both in the ouch and room note. A nice change of pace from the ARO's that I normally smoke. this would be a great starter tobacco for someone just taking up the hobby. IMHO.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (36)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Saw it at CVS, never desired to try it, really liked the pouch and its colors, reminded me of Hangar 24 craft brewery in Redlands, I don't really know why, but it did. My fondness over the pouch could not be said about the contents inside of it. To be blunt, to think what ingredients constitutes this filth simply repulses me. Soap is the main taste I can detect. The room note is just strange and somewhat musty. There is an okay amount of vitamin N, and thankfully no bite, and its not real harsh. Pipe was goopy, but I smoked only in a cob...if partaking in trying this goop, I recommend using only a cob. The main problem I have with it is the weird, creamy, caking aftertaste it leaves. It isn't even an aftertaste, it's almost a lining in the mouth, and it lingers! Maybe one day I will drink enough, marshal the courage (or stupidity) and smoke another bowl from a different pouch. I know that it is possible I bought a bad pouch, and in order to obtain valid and accurate result of a test, one must sample further. This review may contain erroneous statements about this tobacco, but for now I'm going to maintain my belief that this is crap. I don't often bash on a brand, especially an older drugstore brand, usually because you know what you are buying isn't the best in the first place, but at least it's pretty consistent. Half & Half was not consistent, it was a curve ball. I know I'm being rather harsh but at least I said the pouch was pretty...

Pipe Used: MM legend, MM Mizzou

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: CVS

This was my father's daily smoke, and I have tried it a few times over the years. For my palate, it has a somewhat sour taste and does not have much to recommend it. You can get it everywhere, and some people seem to like it. I am not net of them.

FWIW, I did not taste any anise or liquor favor.

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)

2 stars for excellent burning qualities and no tongue bite. I just couldn't get behind the flavoring they used, but I could see how some could.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)

I started smoking a pipe in 1995 while in college amidst the cigar boom, with a desire to sample all the finer things. Somehow the selection of these OTC burleys at RiteAid didn't match the mystique of Lane aromatics in jars at the mall tobacco shop. Later progressed to tinned tobaccos, and then sought to sample all the OTC burleys based on various Internet reviews.

I tried a pouch of half and half 4 years ago. I was put off by the sour aroma, appearance and overall taste of the tobacco. I tossed it after about 5 bowls.

Seeing that STG is manufacturing this now, I tried a pouch. It is different. Our tastes and observations are different and can change. This is different than i remember. I find the pouch aroma less sour cider. It actually now reminds me of a chocolate covered coconut Easter egg. The cut seems more consistent. Instead of dust from the floor, appears some longer pieces mixed in. Just a tad moister than preferred, but smokes great in a cob.

Burley forward. Mild and smooth. Slight vinegar and cider overtones during nasal exhale, along with what I sense as anise and coconut flavors peeking in and out. None of these flavors are cloying or chemical to me.

This tobacco is really enjoyable and refreshing. Great while doing home chores or for a quick break. . On a 2nd pouch, I foresee this becoming a standby, especially in the warmer months.

KXkid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KXkid (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I see this brand everywhere. I just had to try it. The Tobacco was dryer then I would have guessed, but packed and lite well. Overall this is a nice smoke. Good for yard work in January in Montana. HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHA

Suttonwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Suttonwood (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Just ok, I would smoke this if I had nothing else. I did detect some chemical notes, but nothing unusual. Just figured I would give it a shot.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As I sit here smoking a cob full of half and half I have to chuckle at myself. My maturation process as a pipe smoker has led me in a direction that at the onset I would have considered a degradation.

My journey in the wonderful world o tobacciana started in the cigar realm (I am still in the cigar realm, as I enjoy a good pipe and good cigar equally). One quickly learns in the cigar universe that there are two basic types of objects. There are cigars, and then there are things that look like cigars. Cigars come from a real tobacconists humidor, and CSO's (cigar shaped objects) come from the shelves of drug stores and gas stations. In the cigar world "drug store" cigars are essentially trash. Some can suit your purposes if you are fishing or what not but high quality and master craftsmanship can not be found on a shelf that also holds Newport cigarettes.

Having this knowledge I avoided all "over the counter" pipe blends when I first partook of the noble briar. I was too stuck up and distinguished to fill my pipes with any swill from a grocery store. Boy was I wrong. While this still holds true in the cigar world, pipes are remarkably different. Blends like carter hall, granger, prince albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, and half and half are excellent smokes at excellent prices.

This blend is really nice. It has a comforting flavor that it does not take a master piper to bring forth. The burn is excellent and the taste is good. This is a non thinking tobacco, you don't have to give it your complete focus to reap its benefits.

There is a flavoring here but I cant really distinguish what it is. Some say apple, and I can kinda believe that but I don't really think that is truly it. Whatever it is its intriguing and nice.

Pick yourself up a pouch. Its recommended.

friar_jay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
friar_jay (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Not knowing where to buy pipe tobacco I stopped in at a local "head shop" and was directed towards a pouch of Half & Half. This tobacco served as my introduction to pipe smoking and honestly if this was all there was I would have quit. To me it tasted and smelled like I was smoking a cigarette, which was a huge turn off. I will never pack my pipe with Half & Half again.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)

I tried some Half & Half a while back, and while I couldn't find anything wrong with it, I really could find much to write home about either. I am now in the process of re-discovering this blend, and I like it more and more with each bowl. It packs and lights easily, and I have no trouble keeping it lit all the way through. It's flavor is interesting, and while it doesn't compare with CH, it's still better the PA or SWR. They bore me to death! The room note has gotten several favorable comments, and that's always nice. Doesn't bite at all, and as far as OTCs are concerned, I think it'll be my first choice behind CH. Quite nice!

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I tried this blend in the 1970s and hated it. I wasn't ready for burleys and certainly not this one. Very recently, I decided to give it a try when I learned Lane took over production from Pinkerton, and a number of people said this was better now. I had to wait until I finished a pouch before deciding what to think of this blend. I didn't like the first few bowls. I was put off by the strong chemical taste and smell. I had thought about not finishing the pouch, but I soldiered on. I'm glad I did. The taste grew on me a bit. The chemical taste became less noticeable after I dried it out and started smoking it slowly in a cob and one dedicated briar. The alcohol/liquor taste really overpowers the Virginia, and halfway does the same to the burley, though I can get a nutty taste from it. There is a slight cigarette taste, too. It burns well, and gives you a decent amount of smoke.

This blend will do if you are needy, but if you really want an OTC where you can enjoy the burley as it's meant to be (along with the Virginia), buy something else, like SWR or Carter Hall. There's more casing here than I want in this genre, so I won't buy it again. I am glad I gave it a fair chance, because it does get a little better if you handle it as I did.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Half and half is a perfect blend of tobaccos for a daily smoke. The only fault I can find with this is that the anise topping is applied with something of a heavy hand. Take some straight virginia ribbon by Cornell and Diehl and mix with Prince Albert in equal quantities. Blend 2 parts of Half and Half with this and you've got a fantastic smoke. Same base tobaccos with less anise.

brightsideben Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brightsideben (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Incredible drugstore brand smoke. I picked up a pouch of this stuff and CB White, and I wish I hadn't wasted my money on the White. H&H has a great room note and it actually feels like you're smoking something. This is only my 4th blend (I'm a newbie) but this is by far my favorite all-around 'baccy so far. I have a tin of Nightcap which is incredibly powerful and packed with flavor, but I'm not quite sure it's for me anyways. This H&H will surely become a staple in my collection. Highly recommended.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

cheap tobacco. got a 1.5 ounce pouch for 4 dollars at a local tobacco shop. for the price its an ok tobacco. the burly has a musky chocolate taste to it, while the virginas bring a sweet sugar taste. a good combo with a light nutty flavor and a hint of alcohol. this tobacco will give you a ton of bite if you smoke it fast. this tobacco is best smoked slowly out of a lightly packed bowl. overall if you are on a budget and want a decemt tasting light smoking burly then try this. but only then

Linkt66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Linkt66 (1)

Tried this blend a few times in the mid 90's and it gave me a rather bad tongue bite. Thats when it was cut differently. Started smoking it again recently and like it so much that I purchased a 12 pack carton online for $36. Not sure about the anise flavoring.. I don't detect any anise, but rather a mild clove/allspice note that doesn't transfer much into the smoke. This tobacco should be packed loosely and lightly sipped to avoid bite. Nicotine hit is decent, will give me a gentle rise and mellowed-out feeling, without making me feel jittery or my head swim. In spite of previous negative reviews, I do like the mild cigarettish-type smoke this produces, which has a faintly aromatic touch. Not sure about the room note since I tend to do all of my smoking outdoors. This has become an all-day smoke with me, and tastes just as good in my briars as it does in my cobs.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Medium Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco had a few nice moments where some nice flavors came through but these moments were few and far between. I didn't notice any unpleasant smell but my wife said it smelled like I was smoking an ashtray. This one just wasn't for me.

Soli Deo gloria!

MHRook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MHRook (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I picked up a pouch of this about four months back and have just now finished it. To me it tasted to much like RYO cigarette tobacco. Also gave me a bit of a bite. I would not recommend this to anyone.

plymatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plymatt (2)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The first time I tried this it was in a new unsmoked clay pipe. I thought the pouch aroma was OK, nothing spectacular, but when I lit up the most disgusting smell/taste sensation assaulted me I swore I'd never touch the stuff again. I threw both the pipe and tobacco away! Jump ahead 7 years.

I decided on a whim to give it another try since I feel I was cheated out of an objective review buy a renegade and possibly demon possessed clay pipe. I found the pouch aroma to be better than I remembered, in fact I've grown to like- I even roll cigarettes with it. This time I used my Comoy Golden Grain which has a thick layer of clinker built up in it. H&H, like most OTC stuff does lack depth but overall I found it to be a mild and nutty with just a hint of "frosting."

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (172)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

The classical American Burley-Virginia mixture.

Classically know to have "Virginia" regular tobacco, instead, their Pouch firms that it contains "Bright" Tobacco, not regular Virginia.

Bright Tobacco is a variety of Virginia,but generally flue-cured,for reduce their Nicotine ammount.

Half and Half is considered not aromatic, although for me, Half and Half haves a flavour, seems to me Flowers, Roses,

Very good tobacco for begginers and easy to find in any country.

This stuff is nowdays produced by the American company Pinkerton Tobacco Co, Kentucky.

RE EVALUATION: i bought a new pouch, in June 2013. Now I see that it is produced by Skandinavik

No more flavoured, seems pure tobacco,and a bad one!

The new formulation is made with very bad quality tobaccos, and common.

unfortunately, is very far from the good tobacco hat it was! Not more recommended! it is almost non more "smokable".

Pipe Puffington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Puffington (17)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

You would think from the pouch aroma it would have something, anything. I don't know how you detect anything from smoking it. This really should be Ultra light Cigarette smoking catergory.

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (15)

At first, I thought this stuff tasted like a light cigarette. But, my opinion changed after a few more bowls. I could see how this would be a good everyday smoke. I still rank this one lower than SWR and CH in the old school burleys, but it's still a good smoke.

chewie.wk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chewie.wk (3)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Strong

I got some of it from my father who had this sitting on a can from before I was born. After decades left untouched, we decided to smoke some of it at a family barbecue. At the time I was not very impressed but took some of it to smoke at home anyway. After a few smokes I was able to write a more conclusive review on this one.

The flavoring is not very pleasant for my taste. I noticed a chemical taste on the first puffs and got a few tongue bites in the process but was able to relax a little bit with a cup of coffee. What really bugs me with this blend is the room note. Everyone at the house complains after I smoke this, saying it always left a terrible smell on the house.

That said, I'm not in a rush to finish the remaining tobacco I have sitting at my collection and if someday I do so, I'll most certainly not look for more.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (107)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

There are worse OTC blends but this close to the bottom of the list of tobacco I would ever buy again. It has a harsh taste that could best be described as acrid. I suspect roll-your-own ciggy stuff would be better.

Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Good American burley, very slightly flavored with Annis, nutty and without too much flavor, bite free, this is an easy and maintenance free smoke for outdoor that does not require your attention, also this is an excellent pipe tobacco for those who want to switch from cigarette to pipe.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

Love it, the closest I've found in the eurozone to prince Albert and carter hall which aren't available here. This leans towards carter hall, but the added Virginia improves it, adding a nice fruit touch to the chocolate of the burley. I find the casing is very mild, only on the top of the bowl and in the pouch. A bit hot, it can bite, but a small price to pay for a great no nonsense smoke, this will be a regular purchase for me. Top stuff for the burley lover.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Like so many of these old style "drug store" blends, consistency seems to be a problem. I have smoked Half-Half a few times over the years both the large tin and pouched variety and can say it is probably one of the better blends in this genre. I totally agree with Thbg in that it does have a light spicy (cinnamon/fruit cake?) backnote and certainly nothing resembling "vicks" or anything chemical as some have quoted. Also my guess is it is predominately white burley with a touch of virginia - not the half and half of each that could be inferred. Further it's not a rubbed out flake as some have described it but a typical "crimp" cut not unlike Prince Albert and Granger. It's mild with little tongue bite and a decent bowl full will burn slowley for a couple of hours if you let it. Having said that, it's quality is debatable - particularly to those of us spoilt with quality tobaccos - but it presents a reasonable good smoke at value for money as it's intended.

TobaccoOnFire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoOnFire (8)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Picked a pouch of this stuff up at my local B&M for a whopping 388...In yen at 5$ a pouch this stuff has a great price and it doesn't show it as this stuff is great.

Opening the pouch you find a broken flake of what is a blend of Burley and Virginia in a broken flake.

I got a 8 year old pouch and this stuff was still moist when i broke the seal. Packs nice and burns just as well it gets down to a nice grey ash. I can't tell what the room note is as im smoking outside but considering its not an aromatic i will have a fairly neutral room note.

Now to the meat and potatoes...the taste. Its mainly a slightly strong nutty flavor from the Burley and with a slight natural sweetness from the Virginia. A simple all day smoke for the inner codger that lies in all of us that fret over classic OTC's.

I don't know about you guys but my next tobacco pickup will include a pouch or three of this stuff.

Wildcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wildcat (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the tobacco I remember from my youth! Papa Jim always had some in his pipe and in his pocket!

I am taken back everytime I smoke this. While certainly not an aromatic, the room note is classic. No complaints from family or friends.

Nice flavor and good nicotene strength. Easy to smoke all day, several days in a row... or everyday like Papa Jim did! Works great blending with other tobacco as well.

Awesome OTC, codger blend. Takes me back. A real time machine!

vandiabolus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vandiabolus (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is great stuff. Really. It's been around for decades for a reason. Just because it's wicked cheap by comparison to all the foofoo candy junk, don't let that fool you. It's beautifully simple with a spice. 4 stars.

Bucky19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bucky19 (13)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

for the price this is a good tobacco its not amazing but lets say ive had worse from the drugstore. this is the only OTC tobacco i smoke. the cool thing is the price and that it is classic. it tastes ok it has a little kick witch was kind of shocking. it is not like smoking saw dust it burns good and is better than smoking that CB crap. if you see it for cheap pick it up see if you like it.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Yuck. Smells like Vick's Vapor Rub; tastes like crap. No thanks.

losergood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
losergood (2)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

First of all there is a reason that versions of this blend have been around for well over 200 years. In the past from what I hear it was a better quality and tasting blend. Today, half and half survives by being available almost anywhere and not tasting terrible. Sure there are much better tobaccos out there but half in half is Miller Lite of tobacco. I don't drink it all the time. Yet there are some instances that call for it like a baseball game. This tobacco is an american classic. When I do smoke it I get a strong burley flavor. To me the burley almost drowns out the virginia. It tastes like burley and sweet fruityness. I find this blend pleasant and smoke it from time to time.

I forgot to mention the chemical flavor and smell. It is there but not at all unpleasant to me at least. Another thing if you open up this pouch, can or whatever and cannot tell that this has a casing or topping then maybe tobacco is not your thing and you should move on to something else.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (26)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is quite ok. I think I am smoking the DK one, the one sold here in Italy, I had it as a present from a fellow tobacconist. I noticed a Medium to strong liquor/wine flavouring as I opened to pouch but it almost fades away when I started puffing. The baccy came in a little on the dry side but it doesn't bite, having the care of puffing slowly. The taste is mild to medium and and may be an easy all-day smoke. I found the strength to be less than what I expected. Not really a shiny blend but not bad at all.

Update...I won't smoke it as an everyday smoke, the liquor casing tends to be disturbing after some bowls. anyway too much burley in it, I wish it was 30&70 or something :)!

mr.vintage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.vintage (5)

Half-n-Half is an interesting smoke indeed,it's nothing fancy and doesn't try to be,just a equal mixture of burley and virgina with a sweet spiced topping to make things interesting.The topping smells sweet like goldschlager(a cinnamon liquer),to me it's a nice topping but it's questionable in nature.Now and then on first light the topping is very apparent and dominating the blend for a few puffs then it's gone,but most of the time the flavoring remains as a mild undertone so the tobacco can step in.In my opinion Half-n-Half has only one true flaw...it burns a little fast.In my opinion I think it's much better than Carter Hall because of the taste factor.With Half-n-Half you get a bigger taste compliments of the 50/50 ratio of delicious burley and mild virginia leaf,the taste is smooth and nutty thanks to the burley while the virginias give a mellow and earthy tone to the blend.Would I recommend Half-n-Half as an all-day smoke?actually yes I would,I personally am a straight burley fan but if you like the taste of burley but find it a little too monochromatic in flavor,Half-n-Half is the way to go.I always keep a little on-hand for a nice change of pace,but not such a drastic change to stray from my burley roots:)

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Mild (I just get a hint of the anise) and reliable, if not exciting in any way -- a nice basic smoke.

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)

A lot of bad reviews for this one.

First off, I don't detect any anise flavoring or topping or casing in this in any way. Maybe that is just my body chemistry.

The topping is what I would describe as "warm spice" (think cinnamon, allspice, brown sugar).

The tobacco is a bit rough...it is not aged. It can jump up and bite if not petted nicely.

I like the nuances of the tobacco, enjoy the topping and like the stronger strenghth this blend has as compared to CH or PA.

That said, it does get boring and it can get "hot". I have found that if I mix 4 parts H&H with 1 part Captain Black regular and let that dry overnight and then jar it, that it becomes a much better, dare I say, zen-like blend.

I recommend that blend in a big way if you are stuck with a 14OZ tub of H&H.

Overall, H&H is as American as hot dogs, but while I like hot dogs, I would not want to eat them everyday. Cheers.

kalob cayton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kalob cayton (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

i dont know what happened to this blend and i dont know what they put in this stuff but the casing is like a faint sweet mentol ''anise'' yuck

jwreed81 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwreed81 (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I picked this up hearing it's a good OTC blend and a classic - something every pipe smoker should try. They had it at the discount place where I get my PA, my preferred OTC. Upon opening the bag I noticed the distinct aroma, reminiscent slightly of licorice/anise, but couldn't put a name to it at the time. Upon first light I knew I didn't like it.

The tobacco itself seems fine. Decent ribbon cut, pretty similar to PA, slightly darker in color. The moisture isn't too bad right out of the package, but could use a little drying. But certainly the most defining characteristic of this blend in its unique flavor.

All-in-all, the quality seemed decent, but the casing is just too strong and not of a flavor I enjoy. I do recommend it somewhat (as I always advocate trying new things, including tobaccos!) because it is a classic smoke and a decent cheap OTC, and the flavoring will either be something you like or something you don't. So at least try it once!

Additionally, after two bowls I couldn't stand it anymore, but my friend thought it was not that bad and had been smoking it as a daily. 3 days later and half the package smoked, he was also sick of the flavor and thinks PA is much better flavor-wise. And for the record, he DOES like licorice and anise (I don't). Like I said, it's a unique flavor and it's either your thing or not.

rgoot01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rgoot01 (5)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is by far the best OTC Burley blend I have smoked to date. I have played with PA, SWR, CH,etc and still prefer this over the others. Everything else seems to get bitter the further into the bowl I get. The above tin descrition of heavy anise couldn't be further from the truth. Good burley that provides the nuttiness and VA to add a touch of sweet. I can smoke this all the way down with no bitterness. Absolutely fantastic in a cob, however it is good to go in briar as well. Also a good choice for someone to make the switch from cigarettes, as it provides a good nicotine kick. I always have a tub of this on hand, as I prefer the tub to the pouch. Just remember to sip slow as this dog will bite if provoked.

ahutch71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ahutch71 (3)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Maybe I just got a bad batch of this, but I paid $3.25 for it at the local convenience store, and that was about $6.00 too much. It tasted and smelled like I was smoking burning tires. Seriously, this stuff made me feel sick to my stomach, which is a first (and hopefully last) for pipe tobaccos. I like strong blends (Billy Budd, Nightcap, and Key Largo are my favorites), but this was just pure awful. It took about 3 bowls of other tobaccos to get the taste out of my pipe. This one went straight into the trash can. Good riddance.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Honest to goodness burley tobacco with a wee bit of Virginia leaf. The flavoring is almost like a faint Hershey's chocolate syrup with a touch of Licorice added. The flavoring is restrained though and never up front. Mild, no bite, excellent burning,lots of vitamin N, and a grey ash. I believe as the economy continues to fall these old blends will become popular again as the price is right for what you get.Updating: H&H is decent but doesn't taste like it did years ago. Not bad, but not great either.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)

Old Schoolr's 04/06/2011 review of supermarket standard Half and Half pretty much approximates my own - there are certain props like the sun rising, Interstate Highways and good old summer time US American watermelon that you want around. It's mighty comforting to know that Half and Half is still here and may be for another generation or more.

I encountered that nostalgia on a recent trek to the Philippines where I had an unquenchable yen for a good old Kentucky burley after my special vacation stash was mislaid at my hotel; started to panic. I headed for the nearest mall knowing that you can't readily find native pipe tobacco in the Phils - maybe some pretty good cigar leaf here and there but no such thing as a great rhum soaked aromatic lying around in a tobac emporium somewhere.

Thankfully the tobacco kiosk had a few choices...several Borkum Riff varieties, some Leonard Dingler 1904 blends from South Africa and the reliable green and red H&H box with the trusty aluminium foil pouch tucked inside. Never mind that all these tobacco products, including H&H manufactured by the Pinkerton Tobacco Co. of Owensboro, KY, are actually owned today by a huge Scandanavian tobacco conglomerate known as "Swedish Match." I was just glad to get by hands on a few ounces of this stuff in a place so far away. It still pretty much tastes like the H&H I knew as a teenager. Back when we used to smoke it in the farm yard tree house along with the corn silk, Model, Old Briar and an occasional pack of Chesterfields.

Truth be told in these days of the Great Recession H&H remains a resilent, reliable and ready companion to provide that proverbial "cargo of contentment" Burley and mild aro lovers crave. Just a mild, sweet, steady and enjoyable draw as long as you sip it slowly and don't overheat the chamber - even in the 90+ degree humidity of the Pearl of the Orient.

R.M. Schultz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
R.M. Schultz (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Not much to say. Bland and nice enough. Something you can smoke all day without feeling burnt out at the end of the day.

Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

I first met this blend in Canada, in 1993. I was a little doubful about it back then. I next met it back home, a few years later, and my doubts grew. These days, you can occasionally get the 250g bulk tin at a supermarket where I live, but this blend seems to have just about vanished off the specialised tobacconists' shelves.

Good riddance, from my personal point of view.

It's supposedly VA and Burley. It may be, but it's hard for me to make out the tobaccos used. It's somewhat sweet-ish in the pouch, with a soapish note with some spice. Once lit, that vanishes. What is left over after the first minute or two of smoking this is a tarry, perfumey taste on the tongue that tends to put me off dinner; I am reminded of VonEicken's Three Stars, which is a complete desaster for me.

There is a bit more sweetness and at least a little tobacco taste in this, so it is possible IMHO that people can enjoy this; hence 2 stars; also please keep in mind that I have not tasted the latest incarnations of this 'baccy; the blend seems to have changed ownership a few times lately.

metalhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalhead (18)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

it reminds me of freshly bailed hay on a hot summer day, sweet. nothing special just a nice smoke while doing some work and you dont have all you attention to your pipe, because it packs easy and burns with hardly no efford. i taste no anise

Old Schoolr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Schoolr (12)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is my favorite pipe tobacco, my "Desert Island" pick. Yes, I like burley & yes, I like a cheap smoke. There is no shame in knowing what I like & admitting it. There isn't an activity I can do & smoke a pipe while doing that this doesn't fit. Walking the dog, fly fishing, doing yard work, Half & Half compliments them all. I like that the flavor is consistent from top to bottom & from bowl to bowl. I like the "mint" or "clove" essence (I'm not sure which it is). My only complaint w/ another “codger burley”, Prince Albert is its tendency to get bitter at the end of the bowl & Half & Half never gets bitter or bites. I can smoke this fresh out of a new pouch or when it's dry at the end & it still delivers a good smoke. The comments about “anise” or “licorice” are so far off the map I'm not sure where they come from. Or are people just repeating what they see other guys post? No anise flavor here. Nope, just a cargo of contentment.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Inside the chewing tobacco style foil pouch, I encounter the competing aromas of dried fruit, cranberry, clove, and cinnamon. Also a strange chemical menthol odor that makes you think of public restroom disinfectant. The tobacco packs well, but burns unevenly.

Smoke is light and dominated by an artificial berry and menthol casing. Flavors fade as the bowl progresses, Burley is stronger in the second half, but it has a musty flavor. Either low-grade or over processed Burley (or both) for sure. Tended to get hot, but careful puffing kept it cool enough.

By the last third, The chemical flavors have mostly dissipated, the tobacco starts to taste a little like burning paper. Going further brings back some of that clean men's room smell and some sour notes. Bottom half of the bowl delivers strong rations of nicotine.

However, good or bad, life's too short for drugstore tobacco. Support your local (or online) tobacconist, and do yourself a favor.

Raffles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raffles (11)

This tobacco illustrates more than most how individual reactions vary. And again, more than most, does your pipe need a good clean after only one bowl! Nevertheless, I rather enjoy H&H, I get no bite, and I like the casing. But, as you can see from other reviews, you may have a contrary experience. Try a small amount first. By contrast, Sugar Barrel I find harsh and bitey - yet at the time of writing it averages 3 stars.

1pfr2go Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1pfr2go (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Growing up as a hillbilly kid in Pennsylvania, I always had the old man's pouch of Half and Half laying around to pinch a bowl out of. When I saw all the negative reviews on this blend, I had to try it again to see what all the "ruckus" was about.

First, the cut has changed from cube to a ribbon(?) The pouches that I'm picking up locally are a bit on the moist side, but a light pack (required for most all the OTC blends) still yields, to me, a nice tasteful, cool, relaxing smoke. My pipe of choice for Half and Half is a Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat, but in all honesty, the Diplomat can make dog droppings taste good!

Second, the taste is of anise, which I enjoy immensely. Others have spoken of "ghosts" left in their pipes, but not something I experience. I mix H and H up with Carter Hall, Price Albert, Cherry Blend (another misunderstood blend), Sugar Barrel, and Granger, all in the same pipes, with no ghosts that can't be removed with a pipe cleaner and filter change. The one thing I enjoy most about H and H is the flavor I taste in the stem even after the bowl is long gone.

As it's been mentioned here many times, taste is subjective. I have no problems with H and H. It lights easy, stays lit to the bottom, leaves no dottle, and is about the cheapest blend available, short of the generics. If you decide to give it a try, remember to keep your pack loose. If it's biting and leaving a wet bowl, your pack may be a little too tight.

Spagett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spagett (2)

This is my first tobacco review. I just started pipe smoking about 3 months ago. I've been smoking a variety of different blends since I started, from Dunhill to drugstore blends. I decided to give the big three a try. Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Half & Half.

Of all three blends this is my least favorite. It got very sour towards the bottom. I detected a weird chemically taste. Carter Hall and Prince Albert are in my opinion better smokes.

azguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
azguy (18)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I've put off reviewing this blend as it holds bad memories for me. I first encountered it the mid sixties where it was constantly and continually smoked by a rather good natured, toothless, foul breathed co worker. My other encounters were with similar smokers (although seldom as good natured). About ten years ago, while stuck in a very small town awaiting a part for my car, I bought a pack. Don't ask what the other choices were. The first aroma noted is licorice (not anise). The first few light puffs are all burley. But then it begins to slide. Bright Virginia predominates. This in itself can be pleasant. Not so here. With this blend abandon all hope. The acrid, stinging mouth feel is surpassed only by the vile room note. I tried, Uncle Mo; I really did. On a grade of 1-2, I am forced to give it a feh!

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I have been looking forward to trying this one for along time. At A$35 for 45 grams what a let down .I can get SG Blends for the same price or less .This is not anywhere near as good as Granger or Carter Hall which i can buy online from the US if i want to run the risk of paying the duty if customs cotton on to it.It may have been a good blend years ago but not now.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I remember my dad smoking H&H and Velvet from his Dr. Grabow before switching to Prince Albert and staying with the prince for the past 30 years now. My dad never kicked back and enjoyed a pipe once or twice a day, this man smoked that pipe ALWAYS and would probably take it to bed with him if he could. I don't know why he switched to PA, I never asked but I think I will now (dad is 78). These tobaccos were my first smokes before spreading my wings with wonderful virginia blends and few high quality burley blends. So anyway, I picked up a pouch of H&H just a few days ago for old-time sake, smoked a bowl and put the rest in the trash. I don't know what happened to this tobacco but I'm very disappointed, not because of the $2.50 I lost but because I remember this tobacco being a pretty damn good little smoke... (What a shame)

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Half and Half... Many years ago, this was my daily smoke; it had a nice Cavendish type flavor, with a decent burley front end. I recently bought a pouch for old time's sake. Only a shadow remains, maybe it is just me, getting older and such. Whatever the reason for the change really does not matter, it is what it is. Giving this stuff 2 stars is a gift.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Half & Half is a nice tobacco. Great for blending, has a good nicotine kick, and overall is pleasant. There can be a bite to it if smoked too much so I rotate its use. Probably good in cigarettes as well so overall for the price, I say it is definitely worth a try. It's a tobacco that you probably won't write love poems about, just a decent smoke.

Murdock_McGregor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Murdock_McGregor (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I do not usually smoke drug store tobaccos...but i have been trying them recently, just so i know which ones id pick if i had no other options. and this one was horrid, made me nauseous. The smell right out of the package is VERY artificial smelling, and not to my surprise smokes the same way..seriously there are way better half & Half's out there!

Carbide Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carbide (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I don't know what everyone has against this tobacco. It's wonderful! It has a full bodied taste, smokes cool and has a creamy and almost spicy/nutty taste. It's very difficult to describe. It's not a high dollar blend, but it's worth more than the low price paid for it (in my area, its about $2.90/pouch). Its exactly what an old pipe tobacco is supposed to taste like.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Half and Half was only a name to me until a friend gave me some to try, with a warm recommendation; apparently everybody in the USA used to smoke it back in the day. Maybe it was pleasant in granddad's time, and, as in the case of many old tobaccos, an established name has been retained for something since degraded by a cost-cutting manufacturer (cf. Gold Block; Player's Whiskey; Three Nuns). I make due allowance for the fact that my taste-buds aren't attuned to American tobaccos; but I disliked the casing and thought it smelt and tasted cheap and artificial. I found also that it smokes hot and very wet.

Each to his own, of course, and I suppose it'd be all right if you couldn't get anything else; it isn't hateful – but I wouldn't recommend it. I think I'd give it one and a half stars if that were possible. It might be all right to smoke it while doing something else, just for the sake of a smoke; but I can't imagine anyone sitting in their armchair and enjoying a bowl of this for its own sake.

Knifie Spoonie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knifie Spoonie (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

My grandfather used to smoke this stuff, so I thought I'd give it a try. I don't think I'll be buying this stuff again. Luckly I only bought a pouch. Out of the pouch the smell reminded me of cinnamon buns. The smell kinda follows through the taste. I didn't even make it through the whole bowl. I had a hard time keeping it lit. Feeling of tongue bite after a few puffs. I'll let it sit for a while before smoking this stuff again. I can see where some might like the taste, but it's not for me.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I admit being lured into trying this pipe tobacco by another reviewer's remarks about how this tobacco reminded him of his grandfther, Thanksgiving holidays enjoyed together, etc. So I went out and bought a big 'ol 14 oz. can from a local tobacconist (the only size he had) and I now have enough of the stuff to last me until Doomsday.

Upon opening the package, an immediate aroma was very noticeable which I would describe as being almost fruity, "liqueur-like", with maybe a dash of licorice. When smoked, however, I did not detect any taste of this flavoring, nor does it add to the room note. Other reviewers mentioned that H&H is a cube burley and maybe that's the way this tobacco was cut in years gone by, but it is not cube cut now; more of non-uniform size flakes. The tobacco seemed to be properly moist but not wet.

I found this tobacco easy to light in a briar pipe and it stayed lit during almost the entire smoke. Re-lights are easy. Not much of a room note but it is pleasant.

For those who experienced a lot of tongue bite from this blend, I'll just say that I've had better quality burley blends than H&H and they ALL bite somewhat. This blend is no worse as long as you smoke is slowly in small puffs. I'll also admit to a bit of residue at the bottom of the pipe after smoking but nothing a p/c can't handle.

All in all, not my favorite OTC blend but not bad and...good thing because i've got 14 oz. of it to soldier my way through.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I picked up a solitary pouch of this after admittedly tiring of OTC 'burleys'...Carter Hall and Prince Albert specifically. I actually believe I like the flavor of H'n'H best of the three...unfortunately, I got something akin to tongue bite upon every light up. Not full-fledged, mind you, just that warning tingle I seem to get with Rattray and MacBaren blends. It isn't enough to swear me off entirely, but with so many blends I haven't tried yet out there, it may be a bit before I feel the need to buy more. Then again, it's dirt cheap, so maybe I will.

Three stars for an OTC.

Shire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shire (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I remember as a kid seeing my father smoke this brand. So I thought I would give it a try. Ok, I tried it. Dad, you can keep it. It's awful. Like smoking Listerine.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well I tried it..............and that's gonna be it! Terrible taste and hot smoking,left the bowl wet. I guess that covers it.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

A traditional OTC blend that has been around forever it seems. It has a rather high nicotine content compared to other blends, which makes it ok with my 2nd cup of coffee in the morning. It goes along well with the very strong coffees that I prefer.

Mostly I taste the burley, although there is a nice "twang" from the bright. The anise flavour that others have noted only comes out as an occasional bitterness, but not enough to make me pass on it. On the room note; my wife wrinkles her nose when she is in the room, but has never commented in any way.From that I gather it comes across as "pungent" rather than unpleasant.

Often this gets classified as "old codger tobacco" which I think is unfair. If you want a pleasant inexpensive smoke that you can find just about anywhere, then one can do worse than H&H.

I'm updating this to add a recent discovery, add some latakia in a 3 to 1 ratio, (3 of H&H and 1 of latakia). Wait a day or two for everything to blend in and you will have pleasant experience.

Smoking-To-Port Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking-To-Port (13)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I like the history.I like the package.I like burley.I like bright.I don't taste much of anything with this blend.Maybe it's just me.Tried it thirty or so years ago---did not love it.I'm now good for another thirty.I try never to say never---but it is not very likely.I will finish the pouch,but I'm not in any hurry.

Mr. Brizzi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Brizzi (15)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Unfortunately, this is a product which has gone downhill over the course of time, and is not the once noble pipe tobacco it used to be. Maybe it's me, but it seems with every change of ownership, the chef got the boot in the rear end and cheap, prevailed over quality, skill, and craftsmanship. Heavy casing of Anise. I know, tobacco sits on a shelf, sometimes for years, but this one requires about five days of drying time before it becomes smokable. Room note, always nice. The taste, like ashpot. I would look for Half-and-Half only if Prince Albert were not available or if I needed a change. It gos sour and bitter too soon. Unfortunately, I rate Half-and-Half at One Star. Years ago it tasted much better (sorry). Would I recommend it? Ehh.., maybe.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

Had a couple pipefuls.

The "De Luxe Soft Pouch" aroma sure was nice.

As this was my first introduction to Burleys, I let go because of a lack of taste and a faint bitterness.

kyrider54 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kyrider54 (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I enjoyed H/H very much.Had a great taste,and a nice after taste.It lit well and burned well.I would recommend this blend to a beginner in a merchum or a cob.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (85)

Update 08/28/2010

After another try I have to downgrade a star: not at all bad but discontinuous and a bit boring.

Original review:

H&H smells of fermented fruits/liquor Kirsch like (strong but far to being unpleasant), you can detect the casing even during the smoke but in a feeble way compared to the pouch smell and the dry clean ash on the bottom of the bowl tells it is lighter than first impression; the taste is predominately Burley but with a tangy Virginia note, it smokes cool without gurgles and leaving a clean aftertaste. Wife no commented room note. Not a memorable or refined blend but enjoyable for sure, to retry sometimes.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)

With the unbearable summer heat, I have had little enjoyment in my smoking. In fact I've been rubbing snuff in place of the pipe. The other day I had a pipe, no snuff or tobacco, so I bought some Half and Half. Yes it's loaded with humectants, but it's surprisingly tasty with adequate nicotine. Maybe it's the newness of its flavor, but its working in this hot climate. Half Burly and half bright Virginian, cased with a bygone recipe makes for a surprising break of pace. Don't pack it too tight or the smoke will be burdensome. If I find myself smoking bowl after bowl then there's something pleasing for me.

pipe smoking country boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe smoking country boy (4)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

this tobacco is a classic.i felt that i had to try this because my great grandfather smoked it. i can see why. verry mild comfortable smoke. not my every day smoke but a nice change of pace. burns well left my pipe a little wet but nothing a cleaner could'nt take care of. i would recomend this to any pipe smoker.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (137)

Another of the OTC stops on my way down this vein. Upon opening the Ziplock with a 2 ounce supply, it seems to be one of the better ones I have smelled. The ribbon cut makes it quite easy to pack and get lit. The room note seems to have passed the wife test. The nicotine is about average for the OTC blends I have tried thus far. I have had a number of bowls today and it seems to satisfy me nicely. The downside is that it seems not to burn down to ash, it leaves a lot of dottle and the amount of smoke seems lacking. I think there are better OTC blends out there like CH or PA.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (36)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I can't believe this used to be lucky strike cigarette tobacco boy can you tell . try it if your a nicotine junkie, it is a very old blend!

commonsenseman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
commonsenseman (4)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite drug store Burleys. At first the pouch smell threw me off, quite "figgy" is how I'd describe it. While smoking though it's almost entirely delicious, nutty Burley that I taste. Mild & smooth, the only negative thing I have to say about it is that it leaves my mouth more dry than most tobaccos.

Is it as good as Carter Hall or Velvet? Perhaps not. Worth a try though. It's quite tasty & satisfying.

3 out of 4.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is one of the few drug store blends that I don't care a lot for. I've had worse of course but I don't buy this anymore. It's all a matter of personal tastes and this doesn't rub my bones the right way. It seems to have changed over the years but tastes change and memory fades so I can't be sure. Worth trying just so you can say you have.

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)

I like this, nastalgia?, yes, good?, yes. I have to admit this was one of only 2 brands I started with over 30years ago. I ejoy the smell from the pouch, has a nutty true tobacco smell. There is nothing fancy here, it is a good smoke, has a mild tast, but beware, this guy can bite, I believe this is for mature smokers only because of its honest tobacco tast and aroma, I put room note" Pleasent to tolerable", only for the wife's sake, to me it's great. 2 stars

alswilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alswilling (1)

When I was a kid, I loved the smell of Half and Half. One of my dad's friends smoked it, and I loved to hang around when he was smoking to smell the aroma of the tobacco. Sometimes he smoked it in a pipe; but just as often he would roll it into cigarettes. He was a really nice guy, and a good musician, too; so the aroma of H&H became associated in my memory with good music and good friends. When I started smoking, H&H was one of the first tobaccos I tried. It tasted as good as it smelled. That was back in the early 1960s. Back then it wasn't as moist as it is now.

During the Vietnam war, I served a tour of duty in the Marine Corps. During that time, I switched to cigarettes and got away from H&H. I didn't smoke H&H again until a week ago. When I saw the tobacco on the shelf, I had a quick flashback and could almost taste it. I remembered exactly how it smelled, both in the pouch and burning in a pipe; so I bought a 1-1/2 oz. pouch for old time's sake.

When I got home, I grabbed my favorite pipe, a stone Cherokee pipe with a wooden stem, and opened the tobacco package. When I smelled the tobacco, I was disappointed. It doesn't have the same aroma in the pouch that it had before. The aroma of the burley and bright tobaccos was barely distinguishable underneath another smell that I don't recognize. When I put my fingers into it to pack the pipe, I found it to be too moist. I could tell before I lit it that it would be a chore to keep lit.

When I did light it, the flavor of the tobacco was not the same at all as the H&H that I used before my tour of duty. Sometime between the early '60s and a week ago, the flavor, the moisture content, and even the cut of the tobacco have changed.

When I smoked it before, the primary flavors and aroma were of burley and bright tobaccos. It was the combination of the two tobaccos that gave it its distinctive aroma and flavor. Now the tobacco flavor and aroma seems to be overpowered by something else that wasn't there before--something that I don't much care for.

When I bought the pouch of H&H, I was looking forward to the familiar burley and bright blend that I knew so well. What I got for my money was a disappointing shadow of H&H's former self. It is not the same finished product that it was in the '60s. It may be half burley and half bright, but they've mucked it up with something else.

One old saying that I have always subscribed to is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Pinkerton had a good thing with the original Half and Half tobacco blend. It wasn't broken, but they "fixed" it, anyway. Now it's broken!

The company should go back to their original blend and cut exactly as it was before they started monkeying around with it. Then they should leave it alone. Until that happens, I don't think I'll be smoking Pinkerton's Half and Half again. I'll just buy the burley and bright tobaccos and blend it myself.

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)

I have smoked Half and Half off and on for about 40 years. It has always been my emergency backup tobacco. If I ran short of whatever I was smoking I could always find it in about any grocery or drugstore. Nice smoking , no bite tobacco I recommend it

Mettlecop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mettlecop (1)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This tobacco has a great deal of history in my family. It was a favorite of both my uncle and my grandfather in the 70's and 80's. The smell of the smoke reminds my of those days visiting my uncle and grandfather, going to the lake, even family holidays or vacations - a much more peaceful and happier time. So I guess I am a bit partial to it for the memories it gives me. Now, in my 40's, I have picked up smoking this only when I am working in the garage, with the horses, on an extended drive or at the lake with MY family. When-ever I smell it's aroma, I can almost imagine myself a boy again with my uncle and grandfather there with me. I smoke it just as my uncle did in a filtered Savinelli pipe (Standing 626 - about $60 bucks) I find it to be a fine smoking tobacco with no hint of any casing, bite or other draw-backs that others have described. The aroma, pouched or smoked is as pleasant as the memory of your first love. Understand that this is a strong tobacco and can be made more tolerable to some smokers by mixing it, but if you're man (or woman) enough, smoke it straight, the way it was meant, maybe you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

DEMONSIX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEMONSIX (11)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

Good smoke. Like the nic content. Taste is great by itself and mixes well with aromatics.

sapo59 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sapo59 (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked this up for about $2.40 at a local grocery store. It has some type of mild casing I am not able to tell what it is excatly. I can taste burley and virginia in this one. It is a tolerable smoke, I think I prefer PA as a go to burley blend though. I find this is a good tobacco to blend with others for a little change of pace. I have mixed it with captain black white and borkum black cavendish, with somewhat pleasing results. I would say try it for a decent cheap smoke.

jwne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwne (9)

This a poor man's tobacco and good thing too cuz i'm poor! This has enough flavor to get you thru. And the room note shouldn't get you any complaints. Just like a lot cigar smokers who probably can't afford to smoke Cohibas all day long, and have to switch to a Dutch Master, pipe smokers also have to have an every day/most all day tobacco until they got the time to relax and really enjoy something better. If you haven't tried HH before, give it a shot. I recommend a cob. You won't go broke if you don't like it. And if you do like it you still won't go broke.

pandabearzx2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pandabearzx2 (18)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Half and Half has survived the test of time... A test it must have cheated on. I am shocked this blend made it out of the factory let along on shelves of drug stores, tobacco shops and gas stations for over 100 years. Upon opening the pouch it smelles pretty decent. Smells like tobacco with a hint of cherry, anise and other flavorings I can't quite put my finger on.

Packs nicely.

That is where the niceness stops. After lighting, it was all downhill. First couple of puffs were a little chemical-ish... Then after a couple more puffs there was no flavor except the casings, which are unidentifiable.

After a while I could feel the tounge bite coming on so I just dumped it.

I wanted to like this tobacco, so badly! It is manufactured in Kentucky, where I am from, and it is easy to find. It sounds like a good combination (burley and bright virginias) but it just didn't work.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (89)

this stuff makes great cigarettes ! This stuf is so / so pipe tobacco . If yer broke and wanna smoke a pipe go buy SWR aromatic ... it's much better and costs the same .

Update 8/23/2012. Lane is now making H&H . I havent had H&H in a long time and didnt realize it had changed . I bought a pouch last week and have almost ripped through it , on top of the other blends I've smoked . This newer [ dont know how long Lanes been making it ] stuff is pretty damn nice ! It lights well and is easy to keep lit . It has a nutty and " bright " lemony flavor . I never know what the Topnote is but this one is mild and done very well . It's alittle darker than I remember it to be from the past . The cut is alittle different too . It also feels softer than I remember . I think Lane has done a killer job w/ it . I also got my hands on some H&H from the 1980's [ from a pal at PSF ] and compared the two . They are pretty close . So , if you dig the H&H from the 80's , I think you will like smoking this Lane product as well !

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin aroma of this crimp-cut mixture is dominated by licorice and a cloyingly sweet/sour topping reminiscent of amaretto.

The flavor is tart with bright VA with only occasional flashes of burley character manifesting. Added sweeteners, and perhaps a touch of licorice, sublimate the natural sweetness of the VA while the unique aromatic topping remains present throughout.

Half & Half is a unique and distinctive concoction which is curiously compelling. Its unequivocally spicy peculiarity will quickly ghost a briar. This went well in a chamber of any gauge.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Okay for what it is, but I'm simply not a fan of OTC burleys. The flavoring is unappealing.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well, I should try this one soon or late...

After the first bowl, had in a old Savinelli de Luxe shape 101 (chubby billiard, which I have dedicated to Burley blends), I'm just scared to have a second one ! I don't even think I will have it.

It's really a strange fellow: that sort of cheap cherry liquor topping doesn't really reflects so much in the smoke. In some way I recall Skandinavik White.

The weed smokes steady and well behaves if you sip it short. Flavour is nothing special as you may expect from a OTC blend.

The thing which is really disgusting me so much is the chemical residue which is left in the pipe, it's really bad !

I don't see any good reason to recommend H&H, even somewhat.

Tried the blend below and it's honestly not bad. Maybe this is how I can finally get rid of my CBW. Might reverse the proportions, however. Half & Half by itself is my favorite codger burley. This seems to be what my grandfather smoked (according to my mother's description of the can). I'm sure this blend has changed over the years. I like the pouch aroma; kind of reminds me slightly of coconuts! This tobacco, along with the Prince, is best in a cob. This seems to be a good way to deal with the fast burning qualities. Half & Half is honest, simple tobacco, and I always keep some around.

Half & Half is not a bad blend - if you can tolerate the peculiar, hard to describe flavoring. Even though Pinkerton Tobacco Co is the producer listed, it is interesting that the Orlik Tobacco Co in Denmark has this listed on their website as one of the blends they manufacture. When I have frequented Half & Half, I can't say that I noticed any chemical smell or taste that others have described, but the overall taste was spicy in a way that is not typical of any Perique, Orientals, or Latakia. Someone has mentioned cloves and perhaps that is what it was. It was very reminiscent of my first pipe tobacco - London Dock. What I also found Half & Half useful for was in combination with Captain Black White. One part H&H to two parts CBW. I was at a Civil War re-enactment years ago and I smelled what I knew to be CBW coming from someone's pipe, but with a difference. The old gentleman who was smoking this mix told me of this combo. I have since coined it "Civil War Blend." For those of you that are interested, it's 2 parts CBW to 1 part H & H.

Not a bad blend by any means. Very "old school" and charming. Many have described this as a "scented" tobacco rather than an aromatic. I can agree with that and would go further by stating that it is very "Lakeland-like" in that regard. You can actually smell what you are smoking with this one and the taste is very agreeable. 3 stars easily.

UPDATE 6-29-11: I just won a 7oz sealed can from the 1950's (all metal with a key for lid opening) from ebay. The can was moderately swollen and upon opening the content was very sweet smelling and a medium-dark brown riff cut. It was springy to the touch without any evidence of a chemical smell. It smoked like a charm. The manufacturer was The American Tobacco Co. This old sample is definitely a 4 star smoke and I'll be sorry when it's gone. My daughter said that the room note was very comforting. I will now have to try a pouch of the Orlik version for comparison.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)

This blend does not seem to be as highly regarded as some of the other OTC burley-based blends such as Carter Hall and Sir Walter. I wonder why, because HH has a very good flavour, does not really bite at all, at least not in my pipes, and almost uniquely tastes better the closer you get to the bottom of the bowl.

The tin aroma is similar to that of Edgeworth RR and Sir W -- it smells as if there were liquor mixed with the tobacco, and the smell is nothing like the taste. It looks a bit like those blends, as well, in colour, but it is not cube cut: rather uneven little pieces. I don't know how one would roll it into a cigarette.

The taste is that nutty burley, with a slight sweetener, but no noticeable casing. I smoked it in several pipes and did not taste much in the way of Virginias. I suspect one could blend it well with a basic Virginia for a bit more pep.

Overall, a great blend, with none of the faults that other reviewers have noticed, at least in my experience so far. I expect it will get slightly mellower with some aging, and the Virginias may start to emerge.

So far, the Pinkerton company has done me very well. HH could perhaps be described as a kind of Granger light -- a little less taste, but also less bitter as you work your way down. I am looking forward to a lot more HH, and can only hope that it does not get crushed under the new governmental juggernaut (FDA).

TioPaulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TioPaulus (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

It is a classic, works pretty well for a everyday smoke. goes well with a not very strong beer such as London Pride

poppy43 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poppy43 (10)

My father used to smoke this in his RYO cigarettes, I tried it in my pipe, it wasn't bad, so then I tried mixing it 1 pouch of Half & Half and 1 pouch of Sir Walter Raleih and it was pretty good. I don 't smoke it anymore but I could in a pinch.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was a bit afraid to try this tobacco after reading all the reviews here. My fears were unfounded.

Yes, it has a fair amount of casing. Yes, it's probably young tobacco. The combination could lead to awful tongue bite.

I was careful to dry it well, just a bit on the moist side of crispy. I packed it fairly loosely and tamped a bit more aggressively once it got going. I tried to smoke it very slowly and let it go out frequently, not even trying to keep the pipe lit.

I think the result was frankly exactly what I expected given what I've read about the blend. A bit more harsh and acidic than straight Burley would be, but also sweeter. A bit more fruity and frangrant than straight bright VA would be but with more body.

My sample was from a tin, which in my limited experience typically means less PG than a pouch, at least when it comes to US OTCs.

The flavor reminds me of a pumped up Carter Hall. I like Carter Hall better, I think, mostly because CH doesn't require as much care in smoking or preparation.

I have most of a tin, and will put almost all of it away. It is possible that with some time in the jar that the edges will come off and the experience will improve... I have no idea how old this stuff is, as it came in a trade, but I'm assuming that some of the inconsistencies in the reviews are probably also due to people smoking tobacco right out of the tin, as opposed to giving it six or twelve months to mellow. I'd suspect with a mass market product like this that the time from harvest to tinning is short... and that some folks might have the good luck to be purchasing an old tin and so they smoke it right away and post a great review, while other folks purchase a fresh pouch and smoke it right away and say "yecch, cloying, PG fest"... and both would be right!

Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This burley was just ok for me but I noticed it didn't have that characteristic nutty aroma and flavor I've come to expect from a quality burley. It has some sort of odd topping that I can't quite put my finger on, but it was tolerable. This came from the pouch and burned very hot in my cob and I don't think I was over puffing. The volume of smoke was considerable and the nicotine content wasn't that strong, but I usually smoke strong blends and just recently quit smoking cigarettes so it may not effect me as it would someone else. I think it was worth the 4 bucks for the pouch to finally try this one out. I might buy this again in a pinch.

=Revision= This blend's flavoring was just too much...disgusting, actually made me sick to my stomach. The topping is just horrible.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (5)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very satisfying blend in terms of strength (nicotine) and burley flavor. I particularly like the cube cut that burns so consistently. I have smoked a lot of this tobacco over the years and still respect the flavor and body of this tobacco. It never fails to satisfy although it can get cloying if it is all that you smoke.

BlacksmithTim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BlacksmithTim (7)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

In my experience this blend has been very reliable. "You can't go much wrong with H&H in a cob." I've only smoked pouches of it, the quality has been consistent. It burns relatively cool with very little bite. A dry smoke too. I had steered clear of it as "old man's weed" for many years, and when I started my migration back to the pipe from cigarettes, a tobacconist recommended it and several burleys for my consideration. I have to say I agree with it. It's fairly forgiving of mis-smoking, and cool enough if you draw too much/fast. I have also found it useful in some of my "low end blending experiments". That black cavendish that smells wonderful and smokes terrible, is much improved when left to dry a day and cut with Half and Half. (No, this is not a recommendation for those with more refined palates.) It is no longer my regular smoke, but if you're starting out, or curious to maybe migrate from cigarettes to pipe, do yourself a favor and get a pouch, a cheap cob, and ask someone to show you how to pack a bowl. Revision: I recently bought a can and the product is rather different. Straight from the can it is gloppy wet and burns hot no matter what I did. I put a few handfuls out to air for two days and it was almost back to the stuff I'd come to like.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco has been around forever and for a good reason. It's inexpensive, consistant and provides a decent and enjoyable smoke. Although I smoke primarily english blends, I occasionally smoke a few bowls of this for a change of pace and I really love the room note that can only be observed by the smoker after he is finished.

Society of the Briar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Society of the Briar (13)

Y'know, I was expecting this to be bad so perhaps that's what I'm as impressed as I am. I know, I know... why would anyone purchase a tobacco that they presumed would be bad? Curiosity I suppose. At any rate, I found this to be a relatively mild burley blend and a sweet-ish smoke. My only complaint, and where you can tell the quality of the leaf, is in the aftertaste. Whether it's P.A., Half & Half or any number of cheapy drug store blends, the aftertaste is the true mark of "affordability."

This leaves a kind of sour, cigarette-ish, Black n' Mild after taste with an oh so subtle waxy-ish, flavoring/casing coating on your teeth. The best tobacco leaves a pleasant or at least tolerable after taste. This one, ... not so much. But, in a pinch it's not bad, and the room note is a traditional "Grandpa's pipe" kind of smell that people likely won't mind.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)

Half and Half is actually a very nice blend in the realm of American Burleys but it would be fair to say this is a medium bodied smoke not designed for someone new to burley by any means.Half and Half has a rum raisin topping which goes nicely with the burley and adds a touch of flavor to the blend.It is slightly moist in the pouch so airing out the tobacco would be necessary.Beyond that it's a tastey smoke and i would recommend this blend as a progression once you've progressed from a plain burley.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)

In my opinion this is as good as it gets when talking burley blends. It packs well, stays lit and smells/tastes good. Its an everyday smoke for me and has been for years.It also makes a great base for blending at home.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Because I'm partial to burley, I like the taste. After a few bowls, it left me with cotton mouth to a point where it turned me off on pipe smoking for a day. It is something I will smoke on occasion.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

While I can see this as a popular RYO blend, it just never cut it with me. It has a good room note and burns well but for some reason something in it always makes me queasy. Never have figured out what it is as it's the only one to ever do this. I does remind me of old men and grandpas when I smell the aroma of it and I tried and tried to like it.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

pure burly blend to my taste! the nuttiness and sour taste of burly dominates each and every bowl i engaged with. the anised flavoring wasnt to my liking and the room note feedback was less favorable to others (some even similarized it to cigs). now the blend it self has a cube cut orintation that gives it a slower burning rate, good for breaking in a new pipe. burns very well and leave no gunk.). i think it is an essential choice for new begginer to appreciate the taste of basic tobaccos and this case its the burly(you cant go wrong with the price this blend is retailed for),,i have a tub that i reach for from time to time.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

I'm not so sure that there's not a topping in this blend. There's something in this almost akin to a very light menthol taste and smell. I'm not an expert, but having smoked Newports for almost 20 years, I'd say there's something in this besides tobacco. I happen to like this blend, but not as much as Carter Hall. It's appearance is a well chopped ribbon cut, so it loads quite easily. Upon opening the pouch, there's a definite sweet smelling odor. This tobacco tastes much better, upon reaching the halfway point of the bowl. This is a bit too mild for my tastes, so I only gave it two stars. Easy on the wallet, and a good intro for new pipers wanting to try something in a Burley blend

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This gets three stars from me - after finally trying it;)

The tobacco has a nice light body evolving from a smooth, even, burley character with the VA tang and creamy texture revealing itself at times, hinting at what I have tasted in premium VA blends. NICE! It really is "Half and Half" in the burley/VA flavor spectrum. Though, I don't find any burley nuttiness here with the VA seeming to peek through more often with the burley notes providing background structure - which I like.

Burns great with few to no re-lights and minimal packing required. This stuff will burn and burn - GREAT!

As other reviewers noted, there is a bit of acrid taste/smell to this blend but I expect that derives from the PG they put on such mass produced blends that need long shelf life.

I have an extreme aversion to PG, but I can tolerate it on a limited basis to enjoy H&H occasionally.

There is true tobacco taste here for those who require it, and little to no hint of aromaticity. I am sure the tobacco is treated with something, but I can't make it out. Certainly this qualifies as a non-aromatic.

2 stars = Price and availability + 1 star for solid quality

3 stars overall!

Good Draw to You,

Glorfindel

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)

If you like Granger or Velvet, how can you not like this. This is much dryer than Velvet though. Too me Velvet is too moist, and needs some air time to get it in the zone. Granger is the strongest of the three, with H&H running a close second. Grangers quality control has been slumping though. I don't get it! How could a company who makes both tobaccos have high consistancy with one, and low consistancy with the other? Half and Half is a mix of dark and light burley. There may be a hit of VA. in it too to give it it's sweetness. It has a good natural flavor and a pleasant aroma. Just a good old school burley. Lots of nicotine too. This produces an extemely cool smoke no matter how you pack it. It doesn't burn my gums like Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Half & Half is a very smooth smoke. The flavor is that of tobacco and raisins, but very, very mild on the raisin note. This is readily available in my area! Just a walk aroud the corner to my local Rite-Aid, and I could get a 14oz can or a pouch easily! I was smoking fancy, class A virginia for awhile, but I can't afford them no more. For $16.00 I could get a can of old standby, H & H. This smoke definitely takes me back in time. The 1920's and 1930's, and of course, smelling my grandad's pipe filled with this when it still came in the metal cans! ENJOY!

bluejohnwilli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluejohnwilli (5)

i have wanted to try half & half for years but never got around to it till now. not that easy to get hold of in the UK great morning smoke to light for evening . easy to get going smokes well aslo great for breaking in new pipes.

now i have smoked two 14oz tubs , yes i realy do like it , it smokes well and the price is great . good all day smoke.

Auroraboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Auroraboy (22)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Like all other classic American pipe blends, I want with all my heart to support and enjoy this stuff. It just doesn't make it easy!

Mostly it's the smell upon opening the cheap foil pouch. I don't know WHAT that is, but on different given days, it can make me think,"Hmm, not bad," or "Gaackk, what IS that??" All I can liken it to is the smell of an overloaded spice cabinet on a hot day. Cheap burley mixed with mint, cloves, and some rotten raisinjack from under the counter? Amazingly, sometimes it smokes very well, and doesn't taste like it smells. Other reviewers note the batch inconsistency, and I've seen a little of that too (I've only had the pouch).

I'm sorry to say, with so many other choices, this just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

The "Wild side" of "Codger Burley"....a yummy licoricey, raisiny rummy somewhat rough character lurking on the shelf in it's dusty box.

As noted in the previous reviews-either you love it or hate it.

I tend to like this tobacco, but with a few caveats:

1) It is quite batch inconsistent. I've had pouches which are fantastic and others which are terrible. If your tobacconist has a few on the shelf (they come in sleeves of 6 boxed pouches) and the one you get is one of the "good ones", buy the rest.

2)One of the few tobaccos that I reccomend ONLY be smoked out of a well broken in corncob for proper effect. It just doesn't smoke well out of any of my briars for me but it's fantastic out of a cob. It NEEDS the narrow, deep bowl of a cob to burn right, IMHO.

This is a classic blend, try it.

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've seen this on store shelves ever since I was a young child,and after all these years never thought to try it,especially after being turned off years ago by Captain Black.

This caught my eye once again a while back and I'm glad I gave it a shot.This is my second so called Drug store tobacco but Unfortuantly It's not inexpensive in my area,I pay $3.50 for a pouch.

The pouch aroma IMHO is great,somewhat sweet,a little cased I imagine.It packs well and lights right up,I taste some sweet hay, a little cinnamon like note,even a little burley,and although the taste can be a little artificial at times its pleasant and agreeable with me.Burns pretty cool and is bite free.

One of the beauties of pipe smoking is finding something you enjoy right down the street,and its been there waiting for you to discover it....for years

I now have a vintage French made GBD bulldog dedicated to this blend.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

Never really tried any of the 'American Classic Drugstore Blends' but I bought a pouch of this in a pinch recently. You know no matter what anyone says this ain't half bad(no pun intended). I like burley and there is nothing to dislike here. Nothing spectacular but good honest burley flavor and aroma. I will probable pick up a pouch every now and again, not because I'm in a pinch but because I just enjoy it. Now put that in your pipe and smoke it!

It probably doesn't quite deserve three stars but I want to make sure everybody knows I enjoyed it.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I cant comment on the older incarnations of this blend. But I can say that the Pinkerton version is by far the greatest of the drug store blends. and factor in that it costs a measly 2 bucks, Its worth a try. I do agree with the other reviews in that I can detect a plethora of fruit-like flavors, yet I feel that it is more of a dry muted taste, like that of a cheap Merlot. upone opening the pouch I saw a tobacco that appeared to be too wet to smoke. color me amazed, because this smoked cool and dry, with very minimal bite. I did like that it held its smolder through most of the bowl. I would agree with the past assesments that this is a good smoke for when your doing something else. the room note was nothing to write home about, but I would agree to the comment on it smelling a tad like a cigarette, and it finished with a non-descript bland gray ash. I gave it 2 stars because I do require my tobacco to have at least a hint of nicotine, I had to inhale every 3rd puff, just to feed that monkey. Has anyone out there aged any of this tobacco? perhaps that would bring out the Virginia a bit? or maybe that would just be an exercise in futility...but again...at 2 dollars a pouch, its worth a go.

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I remember buying a pouch of this years back and wondering why I wasted my money. I decided to try it again and have found my original purchase was either a bad batch or my tastes have since changed. It still has an odd odor in the pouch, but I found it to have a flavor along the lines of Carter Hall. If this was all I could buy, I could live with it!

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I smoke this stuff by the tub. It does indeed have a wonderful boozy, cranberry, clove fragrance, and while it does have somewhat of an odd industrial taste, I just love it. I like the nice nicotine level, the one match ignition, the old school aura, and the fact that it's readily available. I smoke this in my old collection of drugstore pipes, and find it is wonderful in any shape or size. To me, at midbowl and beyond it tastes rather like a butterscotch milkshake. It has a noticeable tobacco flavor, even through all the condiments. This tobacco will build a cake faster than any other tobacco I have ever tried. After much deliberation, I must award this 4 stars, even though it is not a boutique blend, and many people don't like it. Yum. I hope they never quit making this. ==update== I have been smoking this blend for years now, and I have recently come close to perfecting the "Frank" method of pipe loading. This brings out the very best from Half & Half. A properly charged pipe using this method will give well over an hour of gentle puffing. I now love this blend even more! I humbly invite my fellow pipe smokers to give it a whirl.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all, Half & Half for me, means memories.

It is the one that my father was trying to find and he was very proud when he did. It is the one that he was smoking when he returned from the States and I remember it very well.

It is the one that I was smelling very often at home, and I was thinking: «I will never smoke»!. These cannot be forgotten.

When I became a mature smoker, and Mr. Alexandros gave it to me, I said: «We don?t have anything good here».But Good quality Burley which gives a cool smoking, Virginia which adds a light sweetness and a neutral perfume in the room.

Historical name and perfume.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoyed smoking this concoction years ago....they even commercially produced half & half cigarettes. At that time it was available in a long, thin, metal tin with a narrow hinged lid on top. The tobacco inside was compressed into a wax paper lining and you had to dig it out with your fingers. The tobacco tended to be dry, but the flavoring seemed infused into the leaf, as opposed to being sprayed on top. Today's version is loosely packed and the flavoring, although essentially the same, seems artificial and somewhat bitter. If I could still buy the old version there's no doubt that it would remain a favorite...Too Bad

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

I bought this one during a short trip in the States. I was a bit intrigued by the simplicity of the presentation, a rectangular - was it green and burgundy colour? box. Inside, a silver, rectangular, pouch, vaccum sealed.

Inside were medium brown leaves, some golden, cut à la Borkum Riff.

I filled in the pipe, lighted up, but it didn't manage to keep my attention for too long, it was on the tongue bite side and, when not biting, a bit dull.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

This is one of the great drugstore tobaccos, but not exemplary amongst the higher grade tobaccos. I like this stuff either early in the morning or when doing leisure activity. Upon opening the pouch I get the smell of cinnamon and fruit (possibly cranberries). While smoking I get a mild taste of burly and boy is it ever smooth. The cinnamon almost takes on a rum taste without being overwhelming sweet. I also like the fact that I am basically getting the same stuff my grandfather smoked 100 years ago. Overall this tobacco can't be beat for the price, I hope it will be around for another 120 years. Enjoy this one all the way to the bank. Cheers.

Birddog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Birddog (6)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I first encountered H/H when as a teen and college student a friend of my family would stop by in the 1970s. It smelled wonderful. I tried to smoke it as a novice in college when I was smoking Capt Black and various heavily cased sweet blends, and didn't care for it. I also remember H/H being marketed as little cigars in the same green, red and silver packages. My package was fresh, the tobacco moist, and yes, it had various scents of fruits -- the only one I could pin down was raisins, maybe, but the pouch aroma was pleasant. I smoked right through this pouch, enjoying the simply burley and tobacco taste. My pouch was fresh, mild, no sharp bite and easy to smoke. The flavor is more complex than simple burley like Edgeworth or SWR, and I didn't encounter any burn or bite. I'm not sure I would make this my all day smoke, but it's a nice for a change, an outdoor smoke, working on the roof, or working the hunting dogs. I rate it above Granger and Kentucky Club. A good one to keep around, in the truck, tacklebox or hunting vest.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I recently retried this blend. My first attempt was very bad, leading me to believe I may have had a defective sample. I have had some trouble with Granger, which is also produced by Pinkerton.

This time around, the foil pouch was perfectly folded inside the box. The tobacco was surprisingly dry as well. This is about the eighth pouch of this I've tried. It is certainly the best. Maybe the QC folks at Pinkerton have been reading these reviews? I would love to think so.

Another reviewer pegged the topping as having cranberry in it, and I must say I agree. I detect cranberry, cloves, cinnamon, and maybe rum. The cut of this blend allows it to burn very hot, so take care. Puff it up and the flavor becomes rancid.

If you take your time with it, it can be a pleasant smoke, for very little money. I can find it just about anywhere where I live.

If you love H&H , count your blessings! You are laughing all the way to the bank...

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Below is my original review of H&H done a couple of years ago. I have just had the opportunity to enjoy a tin of 30 year old H&H when it was produced by the old American Tobacco Company and there is quite a difference from the current Pinkerton Tobacco Company production of H&H. Although somewhat similar in taste, the original American Tobacco Company stuff is much smoother, had absolutely no bite and the smell upon opening the tin was "to die for." Additionally, the old stuff was headier - particularly in the nicotine department. I'm going to be on the lookout for more as the American Tobacco Company's version would be one of my all-time top-10 blends. The following review centers on the current production H&H.

Hey...this stuff isn't too bad. It has a bit of a sweet taste, and the Virginia seems to be of good quality. The burley keeps the smoke cool. I smoked a pouch of this over a three day period, and the only complaint I can find is that some bowls would produce a rank taste as I hit the strike zone. It can bite a bit if not respected. Nice room aroma.

tbone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tbone (6)

Could something be around this long and be as bad as some say? No it's not great but it is good in limited amounts. Stuff this in a little Cob or the equivalent and enjoy it for what it is. Don't tell your friends if you're embarrassed but i don't care who knows. Keep it hidden with your Captain Riff if you're worried.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)

Funny thing about this genre that I have affectionately dubbed "Codger Burlies", you either love them or can't stand them and the reviews on H/H certainly bear this out. Like its' contemporaries Prince Albert and Carter Hall, H/H is no frills old school, blue collar pipe smoking. If you review it from this perspective, this is a very good blend. If you review it expecting more, you are almost sure to be disappointed. Having planned an extensive list of burlies to try, I started at the top of the list with Prince Albert from there instead of moving on to more high brow burlies like I had planned, I liked the Prince so well that I decided to do some experimentation with the three prominent codger burlies out there, Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Half and Half. I must admit that it had been a long time since I had smoked H/H by itself. Initial light up it was a little hot, bitey and grassy. Back to basics says I, so I ran a pipe cleaner through the pipe lightly tamped and slowed down the puff rate. This produced magic. Again not fancy, somewhat unassuming but very good. I wouldn't say Prince Albert good but as others have said it's a close second and seems perhaps just a bit less one dimensional than PA and CH. Typical of a good Codger Burley, it's not fancy, not spendy, but very enjoyable and tasty. This has taken a place in my regular rotation and will undoubtedly be smoked by itself as well as being used in various blending experiments. Ever wonder what 5% Perique would do to this stuff? UPDATE 03/21/07: I have decided to enter a Codger Burley Phase until the end of summer. I bought a tub of PA and tub of Carter Hall and a tub of Half and Half. I very much like all three alone but gradually I'm learning that there are also a lot of really good hybrids to be made from this lot. One I'm smoking right now is 1:1 Half & Half/Prince Albert. Very nice indeed with a hot cup of coffee.

woodsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
woodsman (4)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Half and Half is my favorite tobacco. I have smoked it for the last 15 years since I went back to pipe smoking after a 15 year absence. I also smoke English mixtures such as 965, but I get a real thrill out of Half and Half. It is a simple straight forward tobacco, it smolders wonderfully in a pipe, but you have to have just the right technique to really get the most from it. I hope this tobacco will continue to be around for a long time to come.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I liked this better than Captain Black and do not mind others smoking it, but it is far too wet and bitter for even a nostalgic rendezvous.

kempoka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kempoka (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

If you're a burley lover, this will say "Yes!" to you. Having ben raised in Tennessee, and having worked my fair share in the tobacco fields, I think this is one of the blends that best represents the way tobacco is intended to taste! Cool, smooth, flavorful, without all the crappy flavorings some put in! Just good, smooth, tasty Burley. I can only hope some of my old buddy Floyd's Burley found its way into this, cuz it is SO good.....

rlaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rlaw (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A little strawy but not bad. Beats a lot of other OTC tobacco I have tried. No frills but it's ok. The price is sure right. Good pouch note, plain jane clean tobacco.

Update - I blended a little super value black cavendish with this stuff and actually made something that is pretty darn good. About 75% H&H and 25% BC mixed in a ziplock bag. No more straw taste! Well ok how about less straw taste. Not sure I would recommend this approach but it is better than throwing the stuff in the trash.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Of the OTC brands- This was my favorite. Seems there is a case in this, mint maybe? Not sure, but for me it had more flavor than most. Only one that I will smoke by itself. PA and CH I mix together for a decent smoke. This was ok alone.. So if your stuck without your stash...I would pick this up in a pinch....

rduran1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rduran1 (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my absolute favorite tobacco. There is no other smoke I have ever tried that tastes or smells like Half & Half! While Rattray's Terry Red, Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe and Brigg's are my top favorites, Half and Half is the crown jewel in my rotation. Even my wife thinks this is the best smelling tobacco I smoke and makes a point to tell me when I light up. This being said, I am forever surprised by the number of people who do not like this tobacco. It is full of flavor (and nicotine!) and is simply WONDERFUL! To put it frankly, a world without H&H just might not be a world worth living in.

Dragon, Interrupted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dragon, Interrupted (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to say this is one of my favorites for an everyday, all purpose smoke with a decent amount of nicotine. I find the scent and flavor to be quite agreeable, though non-smokers may find it offensive (even my girlfriend who smokes clove cigarettes occasionally finds the scent offensive indoors). It's not a complex, distinguished tobacco, but it is quite pleasant, and I smoke this daily--and it will probably remain in my regular rotation for years to come.

South Mantis06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
South Mantis06 (12)

I hated this stuff 30 years ago but I thought I'd give it a go now in 2006. Maybe in our high tech age it improved. Upon opening the pouch I was impressed. Very nice note I must say. The tobacco seemed moist- perhaps too moist. This was confirmed upon lighting up 4 times to get it going. The smoke was nothing like the way it was in the pouch. Very old school. Straight tobacco taste. Not to say that's bad- just not what I expected based on the how the tobacco smelled in the pouch. Also seemed to bite a tad as well. All in all though, it was okay. I think it did improve from how I remember it years ago. Nuff said. I'm an Iwan Ries snob- what can I say. Like comparing Starbucks to Hills Bros.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (63)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

I would hazard a guess that many, many pipe smokers cut their teeth (or, more appropriately, first bit into their pipe stems) on this tobacco. My uncle, who lived to the age of 95, smoked this stuff, and ONLY this stuff, virtually every hour that he was awake. I bought a pouch of it recently, after a hiatus of 30-plus years, and was happy to note that the moisture content is a lot better than I recall (my pipes habitually gurgled when I smoked the stuff). Today's incarnation is basically a non-descript, servicable smoke. My son says that its like "smoking air"; light, inoffensive to the taste, but not noteworthy. From a cost standpoint, it is a far better alternative to shelling out for pricier, pedestrian offerings that are not even up to this blend's standards (read the reviews!).

scotty815 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scotty815 (12)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lots of fond memories come to mind of childhood visits to the family elders; when I even hear the name. Memories of late nights around the woodstove, hearing the stories of bygone days. Listening in awe of the northwoods of days past. From time to time this blend finds its way to my pipe, and if there are young ones around... they cant wait to get away from me and my stories and get back to thier video games. But on a more serious note this stuff is worth a try, a simple no nonesense smoke.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

At the start of my pipesmoking days I smoked a fair quantity of Half and Half, never quite understanding what were the two halves. The scent of cloves was more pleasant than in Indonesian cigarettes flavoured with the same spice and the room note always drew compliments. In course of time one moved on to other tobaccos, but retained fond memories of this one.

Recently I was offered a bowlful by an acquaintance, but not even nostalgia could overcome the disappointment. The cut was powdery, the scenting chemical, and tobacco taste unsatisfactory. I hope it was just a bad pouch.

maynard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maynard (18)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I remember a old fellow who used to roll his smokes with this, in a hunting camp when I was small, I got a pouch of this stuff and loaded a cob, not bad,

zarteus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zarteus (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

A curious, paradoxical tobacco. It smokes a little too wet for my liking but the real enigma is the difference between the start of the bowl and the mid to end point. After running out of a couple of my favourite blends, a freind gave me a pouch of H&H. I was delighted with its near aromatic properties at the start, but it turned mightily sour and bitter from around the half way mark. For a minute I thought that some foreign body had crept into my pipe! However, repeated smokes only offered the same result, a shame because I would have otherwise considered H&H an excellent stand-by blend .

Bezoar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bezoar (14)

I packed this with much care about airflow. NO matter how tight i packed it, half and half had excellent airflow. And Tasted great. Kinda hard to get burning but burned rather well.

Taste wise it varied from a hay/alfalfa taste from the virginias, with a wonderful nutty burley almost like the first bowl of prince albert in a brand new pipe, with a nice minty taste. The taste came in that order the whole smoke. The flavor would change right at the moment i almost found myself getting tired with the current taste.

THe pouch smells like wet alfalfa with poultry seasoning. The tobacco is rather moist for a straight up non aromatic as this is. THe mint is a rather light topping. Just wish the flavors of the tobacco could meld together more with the mint.

OVerall a GREAT smoke. I will be keeping this. The virginia is wodnerful, a little more nicotine then i care for, but it oly did light nipping on my tongue. I smoked it in my latakia/perique pipe and half and half covered up the fox and hound perfectly. Cant even smel the latakia or perique in the pipe now. SO this is an interesting blend.

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

My friend John, a pilot with the RAF in the Second World War, once described Half & Half, rather contemptuously, as "What the AMERICANS smoked." John did not have much respect for this blend. Truth be told, it is not subtle, not nuanced, not refined, not sophisticated, not elegant, and by no means given to poetic raptures. It is, however, always on my tobacco shelf. Simple it may be, but, after exploring the world of virginias, stoved virginias, latakias, oriental mixtures, Half & Half is a welcome return to simplicity. Furthermore, I have tried many, many different tobaccos with mouth-watering tin descriptions that left me wondering to which the descriptions were referring, for they were certainly not referring to the contents.

Good golly, Half & Half just tastes good to me, and I'll keep it around.

Cheers to you all!

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Update 12/09/10: H&H was the first tobacco I ever smoked at the tender age of 14. (45 years ago). H&H stuck by me through my US Army years, college years, accountant years and into retirement. It definitely tastes different to me now than in the 1960's; however, I think that a person loses his senses of taste and smell as he ages. Being a burley guy, I never strayed too far from Half and Half. When I was a boy, my uncle smoked H&H and the aroma was wonderful. He looked so content smoking that soon I followed in his footsteps. (My father did not smoke.)

I venture to say that if we could go back into time and get a package from 1968, it would taste much the same as 2010 stuff, just different due to personal limitations. The younger fellows of today have a much greater selection of fine tobaccos to choose from, but nowhere to smoke. (That's another story.) I always have personally preferred the OTC stuff to the fancy tobacco, primarily due to what I began smoking. When I was young, pipe tobacco was sold everywhere, but all of it was H&H or Prince Albert genre.

It's natural to assume that a person who starts his smoking hobby with high end tobaccos is not going to like H&H and his lowly burley brothers.

All in all, Half and Half is an American classic that has stood the test of time. Very highly recommended.

Original review:I've been a pipe smoker for over 40 years, and Half and Half is the first tobacco I smoked. I think the pocket pouch was under 20 cents at that time. I feel that the quality of the blend has lessened over the years, however, today's Half and Half tastes much the same as it did 40 years ago.

The room note of this tobacco is unmistakable for any other brand. The slogan cool smoking, improved cut has been on the package as long as I have been smoking. This tobacco will always be in my rotation.

All in all, still an excellent smoke, however, not for everyone. Best in a thick wall corncob, smoked slowly to minimize bite.

Bull Mk. One Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bull Mk. One (2)

I picked up a pouch of Half & Half fairly early on in my pipesmoking career, at the recommendation of a co-worker who had served in the army with a fellow who smoked it. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a good story.

Poor decision making methods aside, I found Half & Half to be fairly reasonable stuff. I took to smoking it fairly frequently, and it served me well in my transition from cigarettes into pipe smoking. It didn't bite noticably, and was fairly easy for my inexperienced hand to pack into my cob. I would definately recommend Half & Half to another cigarette-turned-pipe smoker, especially over a cased tobacco.

I still occasionally pick up a pouch at the grocery store when I'm feeling in the mood for something pleasant, but not overpoweringly flavory, to hit my nicotine fix.

sg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sg (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Selecting a pipe tobacco is clearly a matter of personal taste. (After all, it would be pretty silly to ask anyone other than a child "What's the best color?")

I've been smoking H&H for roughly 45 years -- and exclusively H&H since L.L. Bean ceased producing they're wonderful pipe tobacco. At the rate of about 20 bowls per day, I personally find H&H not only a wonderful smoke, but one that doesn't wear on me. At least as far as I can tell, the flavor has remained pretty consistent and the only significant change is that, somehow, they removed some of the "bite" that I used to get early in the day.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

There were two very distinctive aromas I associated pipe smoking with when I was a kid: maple/vanilla, and what ever you chose to define Half &Half's (cider? apples? citrus?). An uncle used to smoke the former, and the father of one of my best friends the latter. I loved both, but always thought Half &Half's had a manlier note to it, as it was more discreet and tobacco-like. As teenagers I remember stealing some H&H from the canister in order to roll up cigarettes, and the aroma-compared to cigarettes-was absolutely out of this world.

Nowadays, many years later (and I mean many) I find H&H more of a trip down memory lane than a smoking experience proper. Together with Prince Albert, Carter Hall and some other Middleton concoctions, this is one of the ?classic? American tobaccos readily available in Mexico City. I don't smoke it that often, but every now and then, especially when in public or family reunions, this tobacco and the Prince do come in handy.

I don't know if the H&H version I used to smoke as rolled up cigarettes was the American Tobacco Cº version or if it was the Pinkerton rendering. Today I find this tobacco has an ?industrial? note to it: both in its presentation and in flavor. It is obviously machine processed and blended. More than cut, this tobacco is chopped and even if it isn't shag, I assume it can still be smoked in cigarette form.

As far as heavily industrialized drug store blends go, H&H is a pretty good smoke. It has a subtle and piquant aroma (not entirely sweet, not entirely sour, but somewhere in between), it packs and burns easily, it isn't prone to tongue bite (except if you puff too often and heavily), and it's cheap. In spite of the strange aroma/topping, what you actually get is an unmistakable burly taste (I don't detect any Virginias here). If you do smoke it too often, I find it dries up the palate. It won't age gracefully (like a good Virginia), but it will simply turn to dust. Like memories sometimes do.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)

I have to admit, I have a soft spot for this tobacco, mainly for sentimental reasons. This is the tobacco that everybody's crotchety old grandfather smoked, including mine. It reminds me of riding in his old Ford pickup on the farm whenever I smell it. While I prefer Middleton's drugstore va and burley blends, I do keep a cheap cobber around for this tobacco and it honestly, its perfectly tasty. It simply is what it is. One does not compare Budweiser to a good Belgian ale, and it is equally pointless to approach "drugstore" tobacco from a conisseur's lofty perch. Half and Half is an American classic, just don't smoke it in your good pipes!

rvrryter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rvrryter (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Unnoticeable

I agree with the cranberry comments. As a new piper I bought a pouch of H&H, vaguely recognizing it as an old standby. Then I read the reveiws here and thought maybe I ought not open it, but did anyway. Its not nearly as bad as I was led to believe. As someone else here mentioned it has a nice cranberry smell in the pouch. Heeding the advice of other reviewers I tried it in my corncop pipe and took specal care to keep it as cool as possible with short puffs. It was very flavorable and pleasant. As long as you don't pull on the pipe like you're drinking a frozen milkshake H&H is very enjoyable. I didn't notice much of a room note because I smoked it outside on my back porch, but what I did smell seemed pleasant. I will add it to my rotation.

tobaccoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tobaccoman (19)

you know I never tried this blend until recently. I always figured it to be nore of a cigarette tobacco. I am now growing quite fond of it. I have consumed most of one pouch and have another ready to go. I most likely will purchase a canister of it next to see if any improvement comes along with time. It tends to burn a little warm in the pipe but doesnt seem to make it to the mouth that way. I have heard others mention spiced apples and I would tend to agree with that flavor both in the pouch and in the flavor of the blend. Wish I could have an older sample as many people say the older blend was better. It burns down well with no noticable goop in the heel. Smokes best for me in a Sasieni Ruff root dark pipe .

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)

I actually had to go out of my way to find some of this previously ubiquitous "drugstore pipe tobacco," as it seems to have mostly vanished from the shelves of convenience stores in my area.

Years ago, when I mostly puffed on Captain Black and didn't really know any better, I tried this blend and didn't think much of it. It seemed quite strong to me and very different than what I was used to. It says "Burley and Bright" on the box, "Bright" being a term for virginia tobaccos. Once could assume that its half virginia and half burley.

Now, however, as I have gravitated towards stronger and more natural tobaccos, I find that this in fact tastes pretty good to me now. I have taken straight virginias and mixed in some burley as experiments, and I find that Half and Half in fact tastes very much like those blends which I have made. It has a nutty sort of flavor from the burleys and there is a bit of tang and sweetness from the virginias present. Smoked slowly, it is a fine smoke with pretty good "real tobacco" flavor.

As far as to whether it is cased or not, I'm rather unsure. It has a sweet and quite strong pouch aroma that reminds me of raisins or apples or something. It smells pretty good I think. It could very well just be that the virginias used are high sugar variants because the pouch aroma is somewhat reminiscent of chewing tobaccos like Red Man. If some kind of casing is used, it seems to serve only to enhance the flavors that are typical of straight virginias anyways. Casing or no, I don't think anybody would describe Half and Half as an aromatic.

It is fairly strong for a drugstore blend, and it is much different from milder burley based blends like Prince Albert and Carter Hall. I'd have to recommend this blend actually. I think that if I was out on the road and running low on tobacco, I'd look for this blend in preference to others.

Overall, not bad, and certainly better than a two-star. New pipesters might not like this much but if you are into stronger tobaccos then you might enjoy this once in a while. I think I'll keep picking up the odd pouch now and again.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)

Pipe tobacco doesn't get more American than Half and Half. This has been one of the best selling pipe tobaccos in the world (particularly in the U.S.) since the 1920s, and for good reason. This is wonderful stuff.

The pouch aroma is a slightly sweet, spicy scent, and, once lit, a slightly sweet, spicy scent will rise from your pipe. This has a great room note and burns nicely, though it can be induced to nip at your tongue if you're not careful. The blend of Burley and Virginia is perfect, and the comparisons of this blend to cigarettes are puzzling to me. This is pure pipey goodness, folks.

Half and Half does not deserve the bad reviews it gets here. This is quality tobacco, albeit nothing spectacular. But it's honest, consistent, and actually gets better down the bowl. There will always be room in my rotation for Half and Half.

HunterTRW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HunterTRW (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Strong

Half and Half was my late paternal grandfather's favorite pipe-tobacco. Every time I smoke this blend today I am instantly whisked back in time, and can see him stoking his ever-present Falcon billard with it from the dark leather pouch he carried in his pocket.

The casing of this blend (if cased it be) reminds me of apples, however, I do not find it to be either goopy or objectionable. Having said that I will admit that it DOES tend to taint both pipe and room. I had an opportunity to visit Grandpa's old house years after he died, during a period when it was vacant, and I could still smell the lingering, delightful aroma of Half and Half! Some might find this to be objectionable. I don't. Rather, I am reminded of a staunch loyalty to brand that is sadly lacking in our world today.

Half and Half is a working-man's smoke that burns cleanly and wears well. It is admirable in a Popeyeish "I am what I am and that's all that I am" sort of way, and I recommend it.

Good, honest, easy...the perfect newcomer's tobacco. You can really learn pipesmoking with this blend, and it's a good ""cake-builder" too. As far ad taste, it's nutty, earthy unflavoured burley, just a little sweetened by the virginias. I like more complex blends, but H&H is a good smoke when you have to concentrate on something else but still want the company of a pipe.

CantTest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CantTest (14)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

About three times a week I have a smoking itch that only this blend can scratch. I can't explain it other than to say I like black licorice and this blend reminds me of that taste.

I find that straight from a newly opened can, this blend is a hard sell. I let it age a few months in a couple of glass humidors and add a packet of Pow Wow blend from American Spirit. The thick goopiness of the H&H goes away after a few months and I have a really good smoke in one of my many hardworking cobs. I'll keep some H&H on hand at all times, "a cargo of contentment in every bowl."

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (62)

Update A couple of years after I submitted the original comments I was stuck somewhere, needed tobacco and this was all there was behind the counter of the convenience store. (A familiar story, yes?) It's a bit moist so I was careful to gravity fill my pipe with absolutely no packing. At the match I found that this was a much different experience than I'd had in the past with this stuff. Flavorful in a very retro way, cool, really no bite if you don't rush it. Now I keep a fresh pouch around for the coupla times a week I need my H&H fix. I always smoke this in a Yellowbole that I think cost me $11.95. The secret, IMHO, with these elderly OTC blends is to gravity fill without packing in a basic pipe and smoke away. Older review follows:

I've smoked this off and on for years, but recently revisited it whilst comparing it to the other drugstore blends. In many ways it seems to be a sort of "generic" burley mix. It packs well, lights easily and, for the first half to two thirds of a bowl, is a mild, cool and generally unexciting smoke. The flavor is low key, inoffensive and somewhat enjoyable in a retro kind of way. The last third of the bowl, however, turned a little hot, very bitter and the flavor went flat. Up to that point, it wasn't bad. IMHO there are other blends in the same catagory that will do you better. It's a blend that every burley smoker ought to try once if only as a point of reference, and it you dump your pipe at the 2/3 mark anyway, this might work for you.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (46)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well its tobacco..I guess it would do in a pinch if you can find NOTHING else, I guess its better than the aromatics that usually reside by its side on the drugstore shelf. But not by much UPDATE: I've done a 180 on this blend. After giving this blend more attention I've found it to be a wonderful smoke. Smoke SLOW smoke cool (as you would with any blend)And you will be rewarded with a great smoke here. Are there better Burleys out there? Yes. But cost wise I don't think you can go wrong here. And it will remain in my rotation for the hot summer ahead.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I purchased this one day at the checkout of my local supermarket. They had a four pouch bundle labled "buy two get two free". So I took the deal. The first pouch had an aroma of baked bread and tasted like a simple burley, creamy and nutty. I enjoyed that pouch. The second smelled like leaves in the Fall, and had a completely different flavor, not like burley tobacco at all. The third smelled like cinnamon but was harsh an acridic. The fourth pouch was like smoking raisin bran cerial. Being a fancier of burley, the lack of the no frills burley taste was a disappointment.

Originally an American Tobacco Co. product, Pinkerton Tobacco Co has attempted and failed to maintain H&H properly. Along with "Granger" another no frills burley, Pinkerton seems to have a serious quality control problem mainly being inconsistancy in their products. This is NOT the H&H of years gone by. Velvet is the only burley smoke Pinkerton makes that smokes with a consistant flavor and aroma. If you want to try a Pinkerton Product go for Velvet and leave H&H alone.

Diogenes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Diogenes (12)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

After reading so many unfavorable reviews of this American icon I just had to give it a try. Color me surprised because I really do like it. But then again I enjoy Burleys and Virginias so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I won't try to defend this tobacco by saying it's a decent drug-store blend because it truly is better than a lot of so called premium high dollar offerings I've tried. It is an enjoyable tobacco, plain and simple... but of course like all things that does not mean it is for everyone.

The arguments used against H&H are with respects to it's pouch aroma, room note and ability to "take over" a pipe. I would gleefully agree because to me, those are positives attributes.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)

I've been revisitng the drugstore blends after a long absence. I'm updating my review of HH a bit. It is topped from the same bottle as Lucky Strikes, no doubt, and as other reviewers have said, the aroma will dig deep into the briar. But this is a very very cool burning, rich pipelike version. A little heavy on the PG compared to Middleton's blends. The overall effect for me walks the line between cloying and relaxing.

scootertrash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootertrash (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Update:

My lastest purchases of Half & Half have been a great disappointment. I think they have lowered the quality again. Based on the majority of reviews here, some of you are saying the quality couldn't get any lower. I think they have added a third ingredient. The package should now say "Burley & Bright & gooey pieces of paper(or whatever it is). Maybe this was done in error, like they told a new employee to "throw those BOXES of tobacco into that shredder" and he (she) did just that. Anyway, I'm lowering my recommendation from "I smoke this on occasion". I wish I could have had a few bowls of the thirty year old Half & Half Pipestud talks about (see his review).

Original Review:

I smoke a few bowls of this tobacco a week. I do have a pipe dedicated to it. Maven's Choice in the Winter 97 issue of PipeSmoke Magazine described this tobacco as "Burley & Bright; cased with a basic combination of licorice, molasses, and invert sugars, the blend is then top-dressed with a spice flavoring derived from marinating cloves, cinnamon, and other spices in rum", and I believe that's probably right, especially the "clove" part, which I believe is what might make it a like it or hate it blend. Some reviewers stated it reminded them of cigarettes, & I agree. CAMEL was even mentioned. I smoked CAMELS most of my adult life (no longer do), and they didn't taste like H & H, but LUCKY STRIKE cigarettes when still made by AMERICAN TOBACCO tasted alot like Half & Half, and with good reason. A little history: My grandfather smoked Half & Half, he quit before I was born so I don't have fond memories of the aroma of his pipe. What I do have is his hardware collection stored in Half & Half tobacco tins. Some of these old tins looked very different from the one's we see now. Instead of saying "Burley & Bright" they have "Genuine Lucky Strike Roll Cut Tobacco" "& Buckingham Bright Cut Plug Smoking Tobacco" with the "Lucky Strike" residing in the very familiar red circle we see on Lucky Strike cigarette packs. It turns out H&H was originally formulated by mixing half & half two already existing tobacco brands acquired by the American Tobacco company in the early part of the 20th century. Also Lucky Strike cigarettes emerged after cigarette smoking became popular about the time of WW I. I thought the history might be interesting. I hope I didn't bore anyone. Half & Half is a drugstore tobacco that cost about $2 a pouch. I keep a pouch around and enjoy it occasionaly. Maybe I smoke it for nostalgic reasons, but I don't find it an offensive smoke. I find it smokes cool & dry to the bottom of the bowl leaving a fine grey ash.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

A plain, honest, good tobacco. It's earty and nutty, burns well (it may be a bit dry in the pouch, in which case it may burn too fast also due to the fine ribbon cut) and it is simple enough to smoke while you are doing something else. If you don't overpuff, it won't even turn bitter and sour at the end of the bowl like some other drugstore burleys do. It does not bite the tongue, and it's not as harsh as I thought. Simple, uncomplicated, and quite natural-tasting. Personally I feel that it's not a stunning blend, but that very often it gets an undeserved bad rap: I have tried the European version (which is made by Pinkerton anyway), so I don't know if in the USA it's worse... but I really didn't find it overly cased or disgusting as some say! An American classic which deserves more!

workingstiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
workingstiff (39)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I must be blessed but I really like many over the counter cheap burley blends. I know alot of people hate them but to smoke while delivering or working outside they are fantastic. This blend has a unique flavor which I really like. Sure cheap burley tends to be like oatmeal is to fine food but it has a simple strong quality that is perfect at times. Some of the reviewers compared this tobacco to Lucky Strike cigarettes which my father smoked and I agree somewhat. This has more flavor than the cigarettes ever did. If I hadn't been on a aromatic kick when my dad was alive I might of converted him to pipe smoking with this one.I think most beginning pipe smokers would be better off with Captain Black then this.I am not sure what is in this but it is not a straight burley, beside the virginia, "bright", it has something else in it. This does burn really well and doesn't require constant relighting which is a big plus while driving. Best of all this is as cheap as tobacco gets and can be found in many locations while traveling.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I asked about Half&Half, I was told "you'll either love it or hate it - there's no in-between." Well, leave it to me to be wierd. I'm on the fence on this one.

As to the most common caveat - yes, it does impart a flavor to the pipe that is hard to get rid of. But not impossible.

The flavor is sort of sweet and cigar like, but then a bit sour at the same time. It's unique, I'll give it that.

I have a half of a pouch left, and every time I decide to toss it, I decide not to.

I guess it's aptly named - Half of me says "forget it", the other half says "but it isn't that bad".

Give it a try - at the price, you won't be risking much anyway.

EconoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EconoPipe (15)

My father always telling me that when he sees me smoking a pipe it reminds him of his grand father smoking a pipe made me ask him what he smoked. My father told me he smoked Half and Half and Union Jack. Not being able to find Union Jack, I was able to easily Locate a big can of Half and Half for a relatively low price of $13.99 for a large 16 oz. can. I immediately opened it to find that I noticed a strong cranberry smell. I asked a few of my friends and people I know to take a whiff and people came up with the same smell. Cranberries. I found it kinda shocking that of all the reviews here for it, no one came up with cranberries. I was pleased with the aroma, and proceeded to pack my pipe. Packing was easy enough, and so was lighting. It filled the room with a pleasant aroma that my dad immediately recognized as Half and Half which is amazing considering my Great Grand Father died in 1965. It was a very pleasant tasting tobacco that had a light cranberry overtone but tasted more like tobacco than anything else I could detect. Reminded my of a very smooth, cool Lucky Strike Cigarette that happened to be one of the only cigarettes I ever sampled. Reading the other reviews here it seems to be of the same tobacco as Lucky Strikes, so the taste similarities make sense now. The only thing keeping me from smoking this daily is the bite factor. In any briar, even a filtered Dr. Grabow, this seems to bite the tongue. That caused me to set the can aside after finishing about half of it. Reading the reviews here last night made me rediscover that half used can I forgot about for roughly 4 years. I was surprised to find it still moist and smelling of the cranberry aroma I remember. I decided to try it in a corm cob and to my surprise, it didn?t bite me at all. Now, I am not sure if my smoking habits have changed since being a occasional pipe smoker to a everyday pipe smoker but smoking it in the corn cob made me change my mind of it and putting Half and Half in my weekly rotation that is now growing into a rotation that contains over 20 brands. I would recommend this to a pipe smoker that wants a good tobacco for a reasonable price. But not for the new smoker. It does bite and any tobacco that bites easily is not a good recommendation to someone just getting used to the art. I would recommend you buy a corn cob for this tobacco as it seems that is where this tobacco shines. Be warned though this is not a flavored tobacco so don?t expect the aroma to carry over to the flavor much if at all. Overall a good smoke.

Aldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aldo (31)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After all the negative reviews about this tobacco, I'm almost ashamed to admit that I actually enjoy this stuff.

I do find the pouch aroma somewhat odd, citrus and raisins, yes, but also probably alcohol.

On the first few puffs, the topping comes through pretty heavily, and it is enough to make you want to put the bowl down. But after that, the tobacco mellows into a fairly smooth smoke in which the burley predominates. The casing (not sure what it is) is always there, but not so much that you can't tell you still aren't smoking tobacco. Some have called this an extremely heavy aromatic...there are heavier ones out there. The sweetness and nuttiness are present throughout the bottom two thirds of the bowl. The very bottom of the bowl can get just slightly sour.

As a former cigarette smoker, I agree with previous reviewers who have stated that this reminds them of cigarette tobacco. It isn't exactly like Camels, but I can understand why some make the comparison.

If you enjoy Burley, and don't mind cigarettes, you might enjoy this tobacco. It isn't for everybody. One of life's little pleasures is in finding something cheap which you actually enjoy. For me, an occasional bowl of Half and Half fits the bill. If you don't like Burley, you'd probably be better off with something else. To each their own.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)

Half and Half this is a nice go to tobacco for a trip back into yesteryear, brings back the memories from the early 60's when I first smoked this tobacco. This is truely an old Icon from when Grand Dad lit up that pipe after the supper meal.

This smokes better in a small bowl like a Prince or an Apple, it definately needs to be smoked slow and easy with short smooth puffs to be able to enjoy the fullness of the tobacco taste.

IMO nice to have around for a change in the evening hours for a relaxing smoke, no tongue bite, sweet taste, and very rarley needs much attention in keeping the tobacco lit.

Yes, this is a drugstore tobacco that can be found in most grocery stores

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant

I was surprised by this blend. When I first opened the pouch and noticed the unique, strong aroma I was worried that it might be too unique and strong but I actually enjoyed it. It has a spicy, almost alcohol-based aroma and taste. I found that the taste maintains throughout the bowl. The contents of the pouch have remained fresh and slightly moist after several weeks. Do take note; this is a strong, aromatic blend. I haven't noticed any residual effects to my pipe as reported by other reviewers but I don't doubt that it happens. If you are looking for an affordable, strong, burley aromatic blend then I recommend this.

Update: I've downgraded my review because I doubt that I will buy this again unless desperate. There is just too much good tobacco out there to waste money on this unless you can't get to your tobacconist.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

For this pipster, I believe this was my first tobacco. This was my Dad's everyday smoke. The first time I tried it, I thought my tongue would fall off.

I soon learned that this was a blend that commanded Respect. Namely, one should take slow, short puffs, and not overheat the bowl. I still enjoy this blend from time to time.

The burley to me definitely takes the lead. As for the flavoring, hard to describe, something tangy. The virginia is virtually drowned out by the burley and the casing, although it does peek-out from time to time throughout the length of the smoke.

I enjoy this from time to time especailly if feeling nostalgic about my pipe smoking days with my Dad.

It can be purchased almost anywhere.

sonny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sonny (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the tobacco that I cut my teeth on, started smoking it when I was 14, and have smoked it off and on since. My late step-dad smoked this so it brings back a lot of memories. I would not smoke this in any of the pipes that I have bought, but I do have all of his pipes that he used so I would use them. He quit smoking in mid to late 1980's and his pipes sat out in the garage the whole time. Even after that amount of time, I can still smell the Half and Half in them. I would not recommend this tobacco to a first time pipe smoker unless I were feeling rather wicked at the moment . You either love this brand or you hate it, no in between. And it isn't very forgiving especially if you catch yourself smoking on the hot side, nasty tongue bite then. Happy Smoking!

smokerami Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokerami (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Half n Half tends to be a tobacco blend you really like or dislike. It has a spicy flavor and unmistakable aroma. It's been a long time favorite with the cigarette RYO crowd ? so that may be some of it's appeal with pipe smokers, that are former or current cigarette smokers ? Though it is a mix of Burley and Bright tobacco ? I suspect it also contains some Turkish, it reminds me of a very aromatic Camel cigarette.

It's not bland, smells pretty good and lot's of taste, though one dimensional like cigarettes ? a blend you will go back to regularly ? if your taste is bent in that direction, it's also cheap.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Pouch aroma: The tobacco in the pouch has a tangy raisins-and-citrus aroma. Unusual. Overall, the aroma is a bit cloying. Appearance: The leaf is mostly dark to light browns, with the occasional fleck of gold. No stems are evident in my pouch.

Initial flavor: The first match brings the musty, semi-sweet taste of the Burley and the strong flavor of the topping, which is true to the aroma in the pouch. The raisins-and-citrus flavor work well with the Burley flavor, but, also true to the pouch aroma, it is a bit cloying.

No relight is needed after tamping.

A few puffs in, and the flavor of the topping begins to recede, though it is still quite evident. A nutty flavor has now begun to show, especially when the smoke is exhaled through the nose. The telltale tang of Virginia tobaccos is also in evidence, but it is hard to separate it from the flavor of the casing.

Mid bowl: I let the fire go out at mid bowl. Lighting up again brings through more of the Burley flavor this time, with the casing much attenuated from its presence at the initial lighting. There is still no strong Virginia presence here, though the tobacco does present a nice amount of tang. This tobacco would probably bite an inexperienced smoker.

The nut-like flavor continues to develop, and a distant creaminess begins to wend across the palate as well.

Final: The final third of the bowl continues to bring a musty, somewhat smoky flavor with hints of creaminess continuing. The casing has become a bit player here. The Burley does what Burley will, and loses flavor. The last part of a bowl is usually where Virginia tobaccos start to shine, but this doesn?t seem to be the case in this blend. I think that the casing is just too much for the Virginias to overcome. The tobacco burns fully, leaving no dottle.

Summary: This is an unusual aromatic tobacco. After the first few puffs, there isn?t much sweetness, and though the smoke is somewhat one-dimensional, it couldn?t be classified as bland. Though the flavoring diminishes as the bowl is smoked down, it remains evident on the palate after the tobacco has become ash.

Smokers of Dutch-style aromatics might enjoy this tobacco, but the lovers of English blends may find it off-putting.

Do not take lightly the admonitions that this tobacco?s flavor remains in the pipe.

Evil Catfish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Evil Catfish (10)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Despite the fact that Half and Half can be bought almost anywhere, it is not bad. It has a nice, clovy, cinnamon flavor which is rather nice.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me start by saying that my Dad smoked this many years ago. I wanted to like it but find that the casing is just too heavy for me. It almost swamps out the aste of the leaf, and leaves a lasting residue in the pipe. It does go well in a cob, especially while driving. It is not as high in nicotine as Prince Albert or Granger, so is much safe for smoking while driving.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

One half burley, one half 'bright', meaning virginia. That, and a strange topping that imparts a sickly sort of aroma to the pouch. The aroma seems to dissipate during smoking, replaced by an acrid overtone I cannot abide, but once the smoke is finished, the aroma returns, only now it has taken up residence in the pipe. The casing was amazingly thick, making this hard to keep lit. Seemed to perform best in a smallish corncob, but even there, the acrid overtone crept in and threatened to do me bodily harm throughout the bowl. There are, as most know, far better 'premium' tobacco blends than this, but I also feel that there are many better 'drugstore' blends as well.