Virginia, Burley tobaccos sweetened by a secret process. Smoke this tobacco peacefully.

Pouch blurb: "An aromatic blend of bright Virginia and rich Burley tobaccos. Finest quality leaf for a subtle smoke"

BrandOgden
Packaging25 g pouch, 50 g pouch, 50 g tin
Strength
Taste
1.9
TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (25)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

First tried this in the 80s - it was a very popular tobacco at the time, found everywhere and lots of English smokers smoked it.

I thought it burned very hot, savaged your tongue and tasted mostly of white pepper with a slight overtone of Lavender soap. The room note wasn't so much a tobacco-related odour as an acrid smell that wasn't very strong but caught you in the back of the throat.

As you may have guessed, I didn't like it.

Tried it again last week. It hasn't improved.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not sure why Gold Block has been reviewed so unfavourably by so many posters. I agree that it's not a patch on what it was years ago; but of what OTC blend is this not true? My late father-in-law loved it and introduced me to it forty years ago, and there's no denying that it's not the same now as it was then. The big difference, I think, is the omission of Cavendish from its present incarnation. Also, the demise of the tin is to be regretted. Sold in pouches in B&Ms, it is often very dry when you get it (though it isn't hard to rehydrate).

Nonetheless, I think there's still a lot to be said in its favour. It's a mild tobacco with a very subtle, sweetish flavour that you'll miss unless you smoke it as slowly as possible. Also, it'll burn away very quickly and fry your tongue unless you smoke it as slowly as possible. The answer, of course, is to smoke it as slowly as possible! GB is certainly not for the furious puffer, but it will reward you if you treat it properly; it's a good all-day smoke for someone who doesn't want anything too distracting or fancy. I'm inclined to describe it as a cheaper and less sophisticated version of Fribourg and Treyer's Golden Mixture. On its own, I'd recommend it, but with the reservation that you won't like it if you are looking for strong flavours or a big Vitamin N hit.

The money-shot is this, though: mix Gold Block 50/50 with Ogden's St Bruno (flake or ready-rubbed; it doesn't matter), let the result stand for a few days in a jar, and you'll have a very fine smoke indeed. People have taken to calling this "Ogden's Mixture," and I've reviewed it separately under that name. To my mind, it's an absolutely outstanding smoke that I'd recommend to anyone.

Blueplume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blueplume (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I bought this because I remembered my mate's father smoking it and it seemed to have a pleasant room note. I am one of those people who can't actually smell the room note when smoking it myself. Positives : nice smell in the pouch, lovely appearance and packs well and easily. Negatives : Burns hot, produces not just tongue but whole of mouth bite, no flavour can be discerned because the mouth is numbed.

This stuff reminds me of a roll your own tobacco which I tried when I smoked fags called 3 castles.That too was a lovely golden colour and handled really well but when you actually smoked it your throat was left like you'd swallowed razor blades. Gold Block is the same, and no matter how carefully you smoke it ,it will punish you relentlessly.You sip to reduce the furnace in the bowl and just taste hot air then just after halfway down the bowl the gurgling starts and you are left with a plug of soggy golden dottle. I have tried this in a variety of pipes, I hoped a meerschaum would tame it but to no avail,I have mixed it with latakia and perique but nothing can improve it.If you persist to the end of the bowl you do eventually get some kind of taste. Unfortunately it is like a cheap cigar that has been lying in its own filth in an ashtray. The remainder of the pouch has been given away because I wouldn't even put it in my odds and sods jar in case it ruined the previous disappointments lurking therein. In summary I would say Gold Block is like a beautiful woman that you take to bed trembling with anticipation who then turns out to be a ladyboy...

Pipe Used: various briars, one meerschaum

jb1991 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jb1991 (4)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This is another one of those English over the counter blends, except this one isn't as satisfying and a tad disapointing, the smell of opening the pouch is pretty non-existent for this one, maybe some small hints of raisins but nothing spectacular,upon lighting, it tastes like hand rolling tobacco in your pipe, you'd be better off smoking something like Amber Leaf in your pipe, the flavors were unfortunately one dimensional and burned like a furnace with often tongue bite, I hate to give a bad review because Gold Block isn't what it used to be a long time ago (trust me, I've tried an aged variety from 1983 in a jar haha!) and it used to taste so much better, citrusy flavours were present in the older blend.

It wouldn't be a good tobacco to start puffing with, if anything, a beginner would be best going with Clan or St. Bruno in comaparison.

Mark Devall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark Devall (9)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I tried this because it was recommended on a website. It burns well but with little flavour or anything else to recommend it. in the bag it smells weak. At least Condor has so much nicotine it makes my body quiver. I thought Clan was weak but next to this it's a stunna!

I'm waiting for 9 samplers from E A Carey's aromatic range and I know they will blow this away. I won't wake up at night dreaming of this stuff, I might have to give it a decent burial tomorrow. Don't waste your money! Seriously! For the same amount you can buy a Bentley; why drive a battered old Lada. It's crap!

EDIT: Just mixed 50/50 with E A Carey's Soft Aromatic Blend, it was like crashing a Bentley into a Lada; did nothing for either of them. I'm going to go up to St James in London on the weekend and pick up something nice in a tin!

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The smell in the packet is barely discernible, save for a vague scent of rice pudding. Probably the easiest lighting and easiest packable tobacco I've found so far.

The smokes is reasonable pleasant and light but doesn't particularly stand out amongst all the tobaccos I've tried. Does give a bit of tonguebite.

The nicest thing I find about this is the room note, which has a habit of popping up hours later and surprising me with a really nice waft of tobacco scent.

Update 27/04/2013

I recently bought a 25g pouch of this to check it out again. I've done this with a few tobaccos recently that I bought when I first started and wasn't fond of, usually because of rampant tonguebite, and ended up liking second time round, in part due to the tonguebite disappearing probably because I'm more used to pipe tobacco now. First time around I have to confess that the bite without filters was horrendous and manageable with (that's both bowl and stem). Sadly, this hasn't changed at all unlike the others and has fallen into the mediocre and the dull. I ended up putting most of the packet in my scragends mixture with the leftovers of a load of other tobaccos, only to be smoked when a lack of other tobaccos keeps me from smoking something good. Not so truly rank as to deserve a single star and that room note still charms, but I doubt I'll bother getting this again.

Contemplative Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Contemplative (14)

It's a strange business, smoking pipe tobacco. Very often you will find that tobaccos you couldn't stand early on in your smoking 'career' suddenly become very acceptable.

I always liked the aroma of Gold Block, which is probably the most popular proprietary brand in Britain, when other people were smoking it, but I couldn't bear the stuff at all when I smoked it myself. That was 27 years ago, when I started pipe smoking (at the tender age of 40).

At that time it seemed little better than smoking hay. Now, however, I find a lot of depth in the Gold Block experience, and it barely seems like hay at all. I think the new EU regulations, which have increased the cut width of the tobacco, may have something to do with the improvement. They've given the tobacco more 'body'.

I find the stuff now to be a fairly rich, pleasant smoking experience, with good flavour and a really deep, impressive aroma. The tobacco does burn a bit fast, but not excessively so. You can't, in any case, really go wrong with a mix of Virginia and Burley, as most experienced pipe smokers will affirm.

For me, there's absolutely no tongue burn whatsoever.

I find Gold Block now to be very satisfying, and I do recommend it as a standard baccy which I'll often turn to, though I also vary my smoking a lot, as I like to smoke many different brands, as the dozens of tins displayed on my living-room wall testify.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

a ribbon cut mixture of of virginia and burly and perhaps other leafs but in lower percentage (bright virginia being dominant in texture and in taste). out of the pouch it has a hay grassy smell to it, the fine cut makes it easy to pack and it smokes cool if you dont pack it too tight and smoked slowly. very mild on the strength compartment and can be smoked any time of the day. burn to clean ash and leaves a clean pipe. the room note is not friendly though as with all non aromatics virginias. an easy non significant all day smoke. just put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

I used to buy this when I was about 17 (I'm 39 now) and it came in a nice vacuum packed square olive coloured tin. The tobacco then, smelt of honey and mild fruit and was a light coloured mixture that had a hint of stickiness. It literally did look like a little 'block of gold' wrapped in white grease proof style paper.

It smoked well and had a nice room note. But that was then..

As with most other reviews about Gold block today's incarnation is a sad sad shadow of its former self. A completely different blend that is cigarette like, hot burning, and bland as a plain wall coated in magnolia paint.

1 out of 4 stars for the current production. 3 out of 4 stars for the 1989 version.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Gold Block is not receiving the best of reviews here (for the most part), and that is no doubt because so many reviewers have only smoked the newer pouched version which is not even a ghost of the original Ogden's produced Gold Block, which was a classic blend.

The tin I smoked was quite aged, perhaps 8-10 years. I'm here to tell you that it aged well. The shag cut and sublime Virginia/Burley leaf was peppered with an unusually naturally sweet flavor that I thoroughly enjoyed. It did indeed smoke cool, burn slow and provide lots of smoke. If you want a "tobacco tasting" tobacco with an unusual sweetness that is certainly unique, live on the wild side and try a bowl of this delightful blend.

captain duff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
captain duff (6)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I can understand why many are negative to this blend. I used to find it overly harsh, with a tendency to bite due to the sweetness of the casing and having a rather artificial chemical flavouring.

But you know, I actually quite like the stuff these days. Yes, you need to smoke it slowly to avoid the bite, and yes there are better sweet virginia/burley mixtures out there with more natural flavours, but for a widely available supermaket UK blend it is for me definately smokeable. And for a foil packet rather than a tin the packaging is really rather attractive.

I think if you come from other still available Ogden's blends - St Bruno and Walnut flake and expect similar you will be disapointed, but they are completely different styles of tobacco. And although sadly none of the Ogdens tobaccos are now made in Liverpool (the factory is long shut), or even so far as I'm aware in the UK, this old blend (originally produced in 1901) when treated with care will reward a pipe smoker with a relaxing smoke.

Puffing Billy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffing Billy (1)
Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This used to be my staple 30 years ago and beyond. The rubbish that is marketed today is a travesty. The original certainly was an "aristocrat" but the current incarnation is an impostor. Enough to drive you to cigarettes, and equally as bland. This is NOT a blend for any serious pipester. It may just have some limited appeal if you were never spoilt by the original, but I doubt it. You'll probably end up using it sparingly as a blending bulker just to get shot of it.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I think the most charitable thing to be said about GB is that it is pointless. I remember buying some in the 80s during my first pipe smoking phase, and at that time it had a distinctive and pungent fruity aroma. The current version seems a pale shadow of what I remember it being, and overall it is a thin and insipid smoke. If I was stuck on a desert island with nothing else to smoke, I'd smoke it, but short of that I can't see myself buying another packet.

To other readers who smoked GB 25 years ago: has it really changed or is it my imagination and memory that is at fault?

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

After watching a series of reveiws of classic American blends on YouTube (by nickandhispipe) I decided to work my way through some of our classic (and readily available) British blends.

So what do I think of Gold Block? I am genuinely unconvinced that the ribbon cut, golden leaf in the (rather nice) gold foil pouch is really tobacco.

It was harsh and stung the lining of my mouth. It tasted of over-brewed tea and the smell of the dried, mouldy grass clippings that you find when you drag the lawn mower out for the first time in spring. I found nothing that I recognised as tobacco flavour and nothing that I liked.

I hear it is niced mixed 50/50 with St. Bruno, which is how I will use the rest of my pouch. I'll give an update when I've formed an opinion on this mixture.

goldfinger63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
goldfinger63 (13)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

based on my 31 years of pipe smoking,i read that gold block gets very low ratings.but to me this is an ideal smoke for the first pipe of the day.i keep this one in my rotation.my next smoke will be either penzance or balkan flake.also i have had no problems with tongue burn,it depends on how the pipe is packed.

jazzenator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzenator (2)

I am surprised that this tobacco has faired rather poorly in most of the reviews on this website. I am a relatively new pipe puffer and have found that I am extremely vulnerable to tongue bit and the effects of strong tobacco. Although Gold Block, like any other pipe tobacco can and has caused me tongue bite, I find that if I pace myself on the pipe and don't smoke it to quickly, it is just great. The room note is quite agreeable although it can leave a light tobacco scent in fabric and clothing on not so well ventilated areas. I am not saying that this is the best of all tobaccos and certainly is not the 'Aristocrat of Pipe Tobaccos' as it is described. I am merely saying that it is not bad and quite acceptable.

Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I wonder what I had expected from a supermarket blend -- in some UK supermarkets this is actually the only pipe tobacco available.

Finely cut VA and Burley, pouch scent somewhat perfume-ish, not very promising. Stuffing is easy enough, so is lighting.

The room note is sweetish and a bit nondescript for me; not a real winner. The taste is somewhat nutty and rather sour, this stuff burns hot and produces a lot of condensation -- I'm throwing away the rest of my pouch; wouldn't wish this blend on anybody.

Can't recommend at all.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)

^^ - well? ;i hate to be cruel and i almost thought why waste time explaining an unfavourable baccy?,,i feel sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind though...

This was probably the second example of pipe tobacco i purchased when my initial jarred aromatic which i purchased with my first pipe(a peterson bent apple rustic 303)was consummed..

Anyway my written memories combined with afterthoughts:

Packet:50g gold foil pouch

Aroma sweet honey virginia - like when you take your watch off on a hot summers day and sniff your wrist,,,slightly honeycombish.

Taste:Mild but sickly - chemical undertones ala artificial sweetener,,,chemically fortified impression of poor pale tobacco which perhaps has not been cured properly - it gave me a head ache,,;"lemon squeezy" dish washer liquid,,,steamy very hot burner,,big white clouds like a steam engine,,,"johnsons baby shampoo" in the mouth taste,,,and a glycerine taste.

Consistancy:Wet and due to chemical moisturiser agent within it possibly,,it seems to stay so..

Pedestrian comments:None really ,,,except from others i know in the pub who had smoked it in the past and i will mention their oppinions as well..

Room Note:Acceptable,sociable,rich sweet honeyish - the room note is better than the smoke - nicer if someone else is smoking it(a useful incence perhaps)

Tongue bite?:HUGE!;even a peterson lip on my pipe doesn't divert this enough! - a weekend on this and you will taste it till thursday - this is not an exageration -comments from others with experience who have smoked this tend to say the same thing ;- it totally kills your tongue and you will develope a dead spot whereby you can feel your food but you won't beable to taste it,,,all you can say is what shape your food is(alphabetti spagetti becomes the only interesting food)

Worth the money?:That depends entirely on what you want out of a smoke;this is still a popular or stocked over the counter blend. look; you can do a lot better than put this in your pipe;its popularity is down to one reason;lack of imagination to search for anything better or;brits are tight fisted and buy the cheapest shit that burns in a cheap pipe..The difference 50p sterling makes in the quality of other tobacco's that you can purchase(and even a tin you can keep afterwards)makes this a desparado purchase.

Comparison with other blends:"StBruno" is closest i can think off - i prefer this to StBruno and that is saying something!(update i now like st bruno ha ha)

Aftertaste: Pff! if you have got any taste buds left! This actually burns but you do recover eventually if you let it heal..

Reasons for purchse:Ignorance,,,seen it as a kid and i suppose i wanted to be grown up as well - call it delayed nostalgia - i had to try it..

Smoking performance:HOT - VERY HOT! burner - i had to puff to keep it going against its moisture level otherwise its relight after relight;consequently something you do for relaxation turns into hyperactivity and a lot of white smoke/steam - it will not smoulder,its all or nothing like a 2 stroke engine.

Buy it again?:I did once when i was desparate but it was a smaller packet,,,never again;i was even a bit wiser this time because i had been smoking other brands and i had developed my technique and handling better;this still bit like a ferret too easily to be a friend..

Type of pipe used: It was my "peterson bent apple rustic medium 303",,my only pipe at the time and it has a moisture trap system but;this baccy carries so much moisture it was like smoking a bong "gurgles",,and at one point i got a proper mouth full of shit liquid gunk which i spat out immediately and forthwith tipped this uncompromising shit out of my pipe ;-it was a total waste of time.

Tobacco type:Aromatic maybe- it has a chemical sweet lemon grass taste meets barley sugar sweets,,,but it has a chemical soft metal metallic-ness underneath like strong cigarettes that makes your eyes sting and clothes stink..

This was my second experiment with pipe smoking and you don't know you have smoked crap until you have tried better.

Texture of tobacco:golden pale yellowy brown - needs rubbing out a bit to free it into a smokable condition(like you do on most tobacco,,this is my earliest review)slightly sticky,lick your hands..(?)

Consistancy:Stayed consistant from beginning of opening to end(a sod)

Mental images evoked:Youth i suppose,as i can remember the smells of pipe smokers of the 1970's who are possibly all 6ft under by now,,(don't see as many pipesters these days and it seems to be dying visually) Grease,john travoltra,olivia newtron bomb,the smurfs,raleigh choppers,bazooka joes,eval knieval,nostalgia etc

Season:remind me of summer due to its musty grassy mowed lawn in the mower bucket smell,,,also it was the time of season that i first smoked this.

Complimentary food or drink:Hubba bubba bubble gum to shift the flavour or fruit polo sweets,,,ice pops to sooth my tongue or bailey's irish creme liqueur,as this has a neutraliser effect on tobacco acids or whatever that causes tongue bite..

Seriously:When i smoked this i was an ameteur and had no idea what i was doing yet,and what tobacco smoke was supposed to do in my mouth;i have more experience now and i give all my tobaccos a good thermodynamic punishment to see what they are made off to gauge their performance; and so i know that it was probably 20% my bad technique and 80% gold block being crap..

This actually burnt the skin off the roof of my mouth,which wrinkled up,blistered and peeled raw,then grew back all soft and smooth - was this a bad packet or standard?..Speaking to another hardcore old smoker in the pub said that it was a bastard but he liked it but had to walk away from it sometimes because it was a bastard..

(UPDATE 20/03/12) Recently i have gone on a small OTC tobacco odyssey to revisit and make friends with a few old enemies and some newbies which i overlooked 1st time round,which either burned my mouth out,kicked my ass or scorched my briar when i was a novice. This new curiosity comes from a few years experience of different tobacco types and their pyrodynamic properties combined with different pipe design thermodynamics.

For about 8 months i have been on a serious pipe buying binge(ebay)and surrounded myself with an array of vintage metal and nylon system pipes(i really like how these perform). These new aquisitions have replaced my old clays which were initially a solution to my discontent with briar and kept me interested in pipe tobacco tasting because of their low maintenance and easy cleaning(on the fire or boiling water)

Having new pipes with varying bowls,stems,varing draught hole diameters,materials and gimmicks has reopened up a few closed doors and thrown the book wide open again on what i previously considered unsmokable crap(its been a good trip i might add).

Gold block was for me the most volatile tobacco i had ever attempted to get any pleasure from,my previous review is no exageration and i won't take any of it back.

Fact:Gold block burns hot and wants to burn hot no matter what pipe you put it in.

Tried it first in a falcon international bent filter pipe which although i got the best smoke i had got out of it yet(which was still a bit spikey and bitey(trying to break in a freshly reamed bowl as well),it was scorching the briar.

2nd; tried it in a "the pipe" pyrolytic graphite liner jobby which can handle space to earth re-entry temperature on rocket nose cones;it handled the heat but the wetness was more than the venturi effect could cope with.

3rd; meeting halfway after a few recent combination experiments with simular baccies brought me to a theoretical solution:Narrow tall small bowl and a tight draught smoke tube(3mm/1/8") with the baccy packed 'hard'.

I am now using an alco universal narrow gauge smooth spool bowl with meerschaum liner and now getting a cooler mild utilitarian basic smoke with smoothness and no bite(hurrah!)albeit with a hot bowl still.

I wanted to like this baccy first time round because you see it everywhere in the UK,and even for its bastard nature it had in good moments a unique sweet simplicity which no other baccy i have tried immitates. I am not sure i totally understand its popularity given its traits,but it must have something golden within which pipesters are willing to persevere for.

Gold block depending what you are smoking it in, possibly has an alkaline factor after burning which may of caused my tongue bite the first time round.Adding some mixing perique to this could turn that property around and i may experiment with what that may achieve being this is the most volatile virginia i know of,it might with the right perique amount become the supreme extreme VaPer?I will later try mixing with St Bruno as well to produce that"50/50 ogdens salesman rep mixture"

This goes well with a shot of gordons dry london gin i might add,it seems to have a neutraliser effect.But its really working well in this pipe and so i am not sure i want to mess with it. (update 26/03/12 ,half a pouch later)

If you stick with it it grows on you! It now makes even my other basic smokes seem over complex?:Maybe its because the meerschaum lined bowl has some Gold block carbon on it which is helping to neutralise the alkaline bite or the tight draught produces a denser smoke which gives a different internal reaction before it reaches my mouth?

Anyway^^it now has an addictive sherbert citric acid sourness with a slight sucrose sweet limey or white grape essence and the mouth feel is like a lighter weight St Bruno. The perseverance and experimentation has paid off and instead of blaming the baccies,i am now inclined to question the pipes themselves which i think have had a lot to awnser for in the past. I cannot believe i am liking this so much,it is doing waht i wanted it to do first time round and is giving me all of that momentary sweetspot i would get from it in my early endevours. A consistant mild grassy sweet and sour,slightly bitter hayish honeysweet fruityness. On lighting up i get a dryish burning wine cork,after tamping an oaky burning/smouldering green grass,followed by a lemon grass as it settles down,beansprouts,lychee,sometimes a pvc car seats in a vintage car on a sunny day bitterness(likable for the memories of my mums old hillman superminx :¬)and the sweetish honeysuckle and limey grape aromatic overtones.

Knowing what i can get out of it i can easily give it three stars now even if it would only give most people a two or a one;what you get out of it depends entireley on what pipe you smoke it in and how well broken in your pipe is. It may not be what it once was,but i never smoked the original incarnation,but i can get it to taste how i wanted it to taste which is good enough.Persevere and see what happens. I will definately be getting more for its sour juicyness. UPDATE 30/04/12 It really goes to show how pipe sensitive some baccies are and how an at first seemingly horrible smoke can turn into a 4star smoke in the right pipe.Experiments with different pipes has paid off and in a 'Ronson 3 way'this stuff is nectar.Gold block needs a pipe with a tight draught tube,small exaust hole in the bowl(moisture trap system pipe)to reduce the back draught chimney effect which would otherwise aid fast burning. It burned cool and tasted like a can of pineapple and grapefruit lilt with no tannin-esque bitterness whatsoever. I got to give it four stars now because it is consistantly delivering the best of its sweetspot and no bite. Seriously; anybody with an old vintage ronson 3 way laying about should try gold block in it,i have just bough a few more pouches because it is a great alldayer in the right pipe.

dangousb6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dangousb6 (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I am new to pipe smoking and my tobacconist recommended this to me and wot a horrible experiance that was. I have tried many other tobacco's since and I went back to this one to give it another go, It reminds me of a fag. Begginers take a wide birth.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

I guess this would be a nice tobacco for a beginner.

But for an experienced smoker as myself, this did not ring any bell and did not represent an interesting smoking experience at all.

It is definitively good quality leaf, with a nice long cut, golden and medium brown shades. Fills easy and smokes easy but was kind of bland.

Maybe with a bit of perique added?

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

Bought a pouch of this from Sainsbury's out of sheer interest.

That was 2 months ago. I've still got it.

I like the pouch aroma. Really enticing. As a pipe tobacco it's pretty pointless. I mean it's just tasteless.

It's not nasty like St Bruno. It doesn't stink the place out either.

It makes great cigarettes.....

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I walked into a shop in Gran Canaria (Spain) where I found some Dunhills at a good price and while I paid for my tobaccos the shopkeeper insisted that I should buy this one as well. Now I enjoy his persistence. I read that it has nothing to do with the old tin, as it is now manufactured in Spain, as I was told by the shopkeeper. But for me it makes no difference, since I really liked this Virginia. Moderate nicotine strength, fills the bowl easily and it is also easily lit. It leaves a very discrete scent in the room, has no aroma and has very good moisture level, even immediately after opening the tin. I do not know how to describe since it does not give something extra, but then again it can smoked and very easily, perhaps in some nervous and hurriedly smoking. It has a sweetness because of the Cavendish, but nothing more than that.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This review is based upon a 25g plastic pouch of the recent variety:

I impatiently grabbed a pouch of this from Tesco, for want of trying something new, but in all honesty, I could have simply veered left to point at the ample selection of budget cigarettes. Gold Block epitomizes the jaded selection of mainstream, same-old pipe tobaccos in the UK - or to put it bluntly - those few that are only readily available away from internet shopping. Why anyone would choose this particular pipe tobacco more than once defies logic and reason, as one may as well just buy rolling tobacco and give up the briar. It seems to render the whole notion of pipe smoking a moot point.

Indeed, Gold Block shares the same kind of grassy, hay-bale aroma and quality of Golden Virginia, and it's cut a shade above shag. It's lightly sweetened rather than cased, but imparts very little flavour and does nothing to really rouse the blend out of monotony. Neither does the Virginia hold up as a good example of a well- seasoned base - lending credence to my theory that Gold Block is cut and banged out in record time, stems and all, devoid of quality management. Even Drum and Amber Leaf rolling tobacco are better examples, and frankly I'd rather have those scorching in the pipe than this.

As a cigarette smoker, I can acknowledge that without the nicotine, a cigarette is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, and Gold Block seems equally pointless, with a low nicotine content. It loads and burns well, but it's fine cut will need a lover's touch when packing, or else you'll find you've just made a tight plug with a terrible draw.

In summary, this is a rather stale and grassy tobacco that tickles and scratches the throat in an unpleasant manner; the room note being sadly reminiscent of the kind of itchy-eyed summers, with a high pollen index that I loathed as a boy.

Trust your intuition next time you're at the supermarket - and jog on by. If you're not buying Condor, your money is better spent on the web.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is all about the current pouched version of GB, which I got back from Barcelona. Never smoked the tinned GB of old.

One does not need to smoke pounds of GB for understanding its qualities (and limits). It's not bad, and I may understand why there are pipsters devoting to discrete blends like this. I think GB belongs to the cathegory of the English traditionals, just like St. Bruno, having a wide (?!?) platea of estimators, smokers who are not looking for stunning sensations. Just a mild and easy smoke delivering some sweet notes, unoffensive to others. A bit non-sense, nowadays that smoking a pipe in public is as rare as white elephants...

Well, let me say first that GB is not golden. Upon opening the sealed pouch the weed shows as a mixture of pale yellow and light brown. Virginia and Burley. My pouch was definitely fresh, the tobacco a bit wet, not too much. Fine ribbon, not shag, but then: yes, it strongly recalls some RYO, mainly because of the pouch aroma.

Loaded a bit loose in some straight Castello's. Lights very easy and stays lit. I would not write all the story of the bowl in thirds... let me just say that during the first third the smoke was a bit stingy, maybe due to some deep puffing in search of more flavour; then the smoke settles down to peace. Sweet tongue, nice! Vitamin N satisfaction: nope. Partial pleasure, maybe that's why they said it leaves you wanting more...

Since GB came in good company with St. Bruno RR, sure I will try the famous mix 50/50 nicely told herebelow. I will tell You further.

Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (16)

=Note, the rating is based on the old version Gold Block=

Last year, I was lucky to purchase a dozen pouches of the last incarnation of the old GB, before it disappeared from the shelves in the early 2000's. The old GB was indeed a mild-mannered, mild-tasting Va.-Burley-Cavendish blend with a casing that reminded me of figs, dates and fruit cake and that was applied not so heavy as to overpower the taste of the tobacco.

A pleasant tobacco which I smoked any time of the day and which never caused a negative reaction from bystanders.

What's sold as Gold Block today in the UK and e.g. tax-free in Spain has nothing in common with the old GB. Which is a crying shame.

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (27)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

having tried most of the over the counter newsagent tobacco's..i got around to GOLD BLOCK,wow....what a waste of time...its not for me,i was glad when i finished the tin,i wont be buying this ever again,to me the best over the counter pipe tobacco is condor.

Goodlife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Goodlife (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Only recently have I begun my pipesmoking hobby. I moved from cigars earlier in 2009, after having avidly read the many interesting reviews on this site. So readers, take note that this review is a basic insight from someone new to pipesmoking.

I bought GB after searching around for an easy introduction to pipe tobacco. I had read it was easy burning, if a little hot, and easy lighting.

I purchased the 25g pouch - a nondescript packaging that only hints at its 'Ogdens of Liverpool' heritage. The tobacco is thin cut, almost akin to rolling tobacco. The colour is medium brown, actually a bit monochrome.

In the pouch, GB smells 'golden'. A little toasted, a little sweet. Packing the bowl is easy, and the moisture content is minimal.

This makes the first light quite a success. GB lights very easily, and stays lit most of the way down the bowl. It indeed tends to burn hot, as has been noted. Initially, the flavouring was as golden as the aroma. It is not at all heavy or spicy, and is not overly sweet either.

Halfway down the bowl, the burn warms up. I noticed that GB produces a fair amount of smoke, and it tends to taste sweeter as the burn progresses. Nearing the end of the pipe, a plain tobacco flavour is complemented with a honeyed note.

The room note is pleasant, also somewhat honeyed, but not characteristic of an aromatic tobacco. Friends have told me it smells quite like shag tobacco, just a little more pipelike.

GB burns down to a fine white dottle. It has been my first proper pipe experience - I once dabbled with Borkum Riff, and was put off for some years - and has eased me into pipesmoking peacefully. Somewhat recommended.

ThomK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThomK (3)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When mads by Ogdens of Liverpool in a tin box it was tasteful and good, but today 2009 09 if found in a plastic punch it´s far from the orginal taste, Why ? / ThomK in Sweden.

This stuff has its place in the pipe smoking world. If you're an amateur blender and you have a concoction that won't take the match so well, add some of this. It doesn't impart much flavor and it will improve the burn rate.

Smoked by itself, this is an overly blase smoke that burns rather quick. It will certainly smoke hot if you allow it to but puffed temperately, this is cool enough. I just found it bland but if bland is what you want, this is your ticket. I plan to keep it stored for blending, and it really helped out one of my Vapers burn properly and also toned down an overly rich taste. Nice! Of course, some shag or finely cut burley will do the same trick at a lower cost.

Part Time Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Part Time Piper (4)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Gold block is a quick burning, hot smoking little bale of hay, low on flavour and strength. Maybe there's a few crushed B&H fags mixed in to give it some sort of taste. Try it once so you know what to avoid in future. Don't leave the tin open, it could be a fire hazard.

I still recall the TV ad for this stuff. A professor is talking to a student in an Oxbridge college grounds and says "Gold Block Eh! I remember your father, he was a pipe man too." Hopefully the professor introduced the young man and his father to other tobaccos!

lez0n Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lez0n (2)

It sounds as if the previous reviews can be divided between those reviewing the current version of Gold Block in the bag and a cellared tin from days past. I am currently working on my second tin of Gold Block with an estimated age of 8+ years.

Both tins were well preserved. The tobacco was tightly packed into an almost solid "block" and was not too moist nor too dry and was cradled by thick, waxy paper stained by years of waiting to share it's contents. It had the slightly crispy texture and unmisteakable aroma of well-aged tobacco with a spicy note almost reminiscent of cinnamon and cedar. The aroma seemed to be more attributable to the blend and aging rather than any casing/topping.

Others have criticized it for burning too hot and too fast. I found it to be a cool smoke that burns relatively fast. It has been my experience that aged ribbon cuts tend to burn fast due to the extra decomposition of the leaf.

In comparison to other virginia blends I found this to be complex and flavorful with subtle nuances. I tasted elements of spice, pure tobacco, a bit of leather, and woodiness. I'm a to-the-bottom-of-the-bowl kind of guy and I found this blend to gain in strength during the last 1/3 of the bowl taking on a strong taste of charcoal like many English blends seem to do.

I'm glad someone mentioned getting a sore throat from this as I had noticed the same experience and was quite perplexed given the overall smoothness of this blend.

kenneth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kenneth (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking Condor `Long Cut for about a month or so having recently had quite a long spell smoking Walnut Flake also from Ogden's of Liverpool. So this morning I bought 2 50 grams of GB. I must say it is very pleasant, slow burning with a homely friendly aroma. I am smoking it in the same pipe I was smoking Condor in and there is no Condor after taste in my Dunhill shell No 4 briar with an amber stem.I definitely prefer simple tobaccos and GB fits that category. It is also readily available which is important to me.

Update

I have been smoking Gold Block for a couple of month now and find it quite pleasant and agreeable but this morning I called into my specialist tobacconists (Green's of Leeds) and bought some Grousemoor which I have duly mixed with the Gold Block and do you know, it is really very very nice with one aromatic perfectly complementing the other. Well worth a try for the all day smoker.

Smokers unfamiliar with either brand should smoke them gently in a reserved manner so as to avoid tongue bite but with a little practice one will not fall victim to this and should be able to smoke a bowl full without any problems. Contrary to some advise here. This is not a beginners tobacco and should only be smoked by those who have achieved a certain amount of finesse with thier technique

Iron Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Iron Pipe (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a newbie to this, I was bound to come across Gold Block at some point, and boy, I wish I hadn't.

It burns far too hot, no matter how you smoke it, and I have been bitten each time I have smoked it. I have tried various packing/pipe/smoking combinations yet the relentlessness of the tongue bite is truly impressive.

It also has given me a sore throat each time, even though it seems mild on the mouth. Don't be fooled! I am sure Mr Ogden is turning in his nicotine stained grave at this most recent version of his 'Aristocrat of Pipe Tobaccos'.

Steer clear of this, if what you want is a good all-day tobacco that is easily available the stick with the St Bruno's

paulwfromtheden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulwfromtheden (14)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Having returned to pipe smoking for the first time in 20 years (and indeed any sort of tobacco use), I have found Gold Block to be a very pleasant 'starter' to get back into this marvellous pasttime. I chose it as this was one of my choices when I stopped. It is unpretentious, easy on the tounge and palatte and does not induce nausia! It feels like I have been reintroduced to an old friend. For people starting out smoking a pipe, I would find it hard (with my relatively inexperienced view) to recommend anything else. That said, I do not expect to stay loyal to Gold Block for too long, and even after my first couple of pipes, I am already looking at alternatives.

30/10/08 - Decided to downgrade to two stars after comparison with other tobaccos.

ROMMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROMMER (17)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I have recently reviewed my reviews and changed my views on certain tobaccos, Gold Block is one. This tobacco is certainly not at the bottom of my list but it is nowhere near the top. A very light and slow burning tobacco,with very little kick, and a certain lack of clarity. Like drinking a non alcholic beer, everythings seems to be present but the 5 percent. Would suit those who smoke a lot and need an all day smoke.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I can?t think why I hadn?t reviewed this one before. Haven?t smoked it in a decade or so. A very popular blend in Britain, as I recall. It was easy to come by, not particularly expensive, and good to smoke in public. No one seemed to mind. In fact, publicans would encourage you to light up in order to produce a cosy, customer-friendly atmosphere.

Very mild, but without tongue bite, the blend?s almost natural sweetness (a topping, I presume) was redolent of cocoa beans and hazelnuts. It could become somewhat monochromatic and dull; then again I believe this tobacco was never meant to incite wondrous deeds, nor deep-contemplative inner experiences in the Balkanic/Latakian sense of the term. Rather, Gold Block seems to have been conceived as that perfect silent companion for those who enjoy a peaceful evening by the fire or sitting at a desk, surrounded by books, pen and paper.

Odgens? refer to Gold Block as the ?aristocrat of pipe tobaccos?. Personally, I wouldn?t find it an insult (to the breed or the manufacturer) to hail it as the Bassett Hound of Pipe Tobaccos.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Original June 16 2008

I had a passionate afair with this for a good number of years, would'nt smoke anything else 'till one day my tobacconist, Nat Chait (RIP) led me astray, could hardly face it afterwards.

Reccomended here in England as good tobacco for new pipe smokers, and as I'd just come back from ten years on the other side of the pond, it was a good one to get back into English tobacco's, burned well, smoked well, with a good taste. Unfortunately, as I said, I was led astray and wandered into the world of aromatics for a goodly number of years before coming over to flakes.

There seems to have been a lot of poor reviews to this particular offering of Ogdens, and in comparison to other tobacco's, I would have been inclined to agree, had it not been for my discovery of this site, which gives much credence to the cellaring of tobacco's, virginia's in particular. last week, my wife discovered a tin, yes a tin of Gold Block that I had opened and then left, perhaps eight years ago ? or more, needless to say, the tobacco was a little dry, but by leaving a damp tissue in the tin for about four days, I actualy ventured to try it, surprise suprise, not bad at all, there seems to be something in this cellaring.

Still only giving poor old Gold Block three stars, change that, I'll give it four. Why? well it served well it's original purpose, and I've found an aged Gold Block to be even better. But I am not sure about ageing pouches as that of couse is what it's served up in these days.

Updated 7th August 2010 For old times sake, I tried a 25g pouch of this and it's nothing like what I remember, the basic taste is still there, but it just burned hot and peppery so I tried the trick of mixing it with 25g of St Bruno RR. And that did nothing to save the day either.

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (18)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Mild is the operative word with this one but that's not a bad thing and I too have found that it makes a wonderful smoke if mixed 50/50 with St. Bruno. But on it's own it is a pleasing enough smoke in its own right. I find that it does tend to burn hot if one's not careful but then you can say the same about most supermarket/drug store blends. A good dependable smoke then with a medium nicotine hit.

onepuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onepuff (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

A very mild tasting but definitely not unpleasant tobacco which burns well and evenly even if it is a little too fine cut for my taste. The room aroma such as it is turns fragrant and doesn't linger making this an ideal tobacco to enjoy indoors in company. There is a reasonable nicotine kick to Gold Block.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)

I'm going to go against the flow on this one - I like it. I've tried all the readily available shop (or "drugstore") brands in the UK bar this one, until now. I was put off by the reviews on here.

Typical cost cutting from Imperial, no longer available in a tin - it comes in a pouch either 25g or 50g. Very lightweight tobacco, almost like cigarette tobacco.

Packs easily, burns evenly (too quickly IMO). Pleasant smoke aroma (lots of it too), good basic flavour with no topping, cool burning and no bite unless provoked. It has the taste and smell of a classic British pipe tobacco. Guess this was why it was so popular and "the aristocrat of pipe tobacco" for so long. This is the "straight" blend I've been looking for - not too heavy on the nicotine and suitable for all day smoking. As another reviewer said it leaves you wanting more. I think I'll race through the pack I have.

Loved the anecdotes on here about it being more expensive than St Bruno back in the day and also the one about the Ogdens sales rep who recommended a 50/50 mix.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I couldn't stand this blend, so I won't waste much time in reviewing it.

When you open the pouch you will find yourself greeted by a selection of unusual odours, ones that are reminiscent of dried seaweed and carrot.

The taste, well it's a lot like wotsits mixed with B&H - This is not the sort of thing I want in my mouth and drew my mind toward 1970s dinner parties. On the plus side it burns very quickly, so you won't have to put up with it for too long.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

I first discovered Gold Block on a visit to the UK in 1972. It was a very pleasant, very light mixture which in today`s idiom could have been described as `easy smoking`. It retained its quality upto the late seventies, when it suffered a perceptible decline. The latest version, in a plastic pouch, has few of the virtues of the tinned version and tastes of chemicals.

jimh76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimh76 (3)

Like smoking a cheap cigarette - looking at the reviews - and casting my memory back to my first boss who smoked it like it was going out of fashion - I think that this was once a nicer easier smoke. I won't be buying it again - and I can't understand it's popularity here in the UK.

kevin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kevin (7)

I found this to be reminicent of 'Cutters Choice' hand rolling tobacco, although slightly stronger and heavier. It lights and burns easily, but the bowl does tend to heat up quickly if you are not careful. The tobacco itself also seems to burn quickly. I may use this to blend with other tobaccos - although as an occasional smoke I found it quite enjoyable.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin I purchased has Ogdens' name on it. The cut looks like it was run through my garden shredder. The stuff is wet and sticky in the tin. Smells good, sort of honey flavored. I am unimpressed at the two-bowl stage and will try again when the moisture level is reduced.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Happily this stuff's no longer being imported to the U.S. A friend gave me sample baggie of it that a relative brought back for him when visiting Iceland.If you did'nt know it was'nt,you'd swear this stuff's cigarette tobacco as it's the same colour,cut and has the same smell.The flavor starts out o.k. but almost immediately turns sour and moist and it's flavor dissapears never to be heard from again.In essence, it's a misbehaving,expensive, nasty little blend that I can recommend to no one. pass this one on by, prep 10-14-05

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)

This old standby deserves more than two stars. It has the most characteristic aroma on opening the pouch (I did like those square tins I used to buy it in) of well-dried hay. Not new hay, nor mouldy, but that of an old bale almost ready to be used for bedding when the new crop comes in. Its taste is mild, some would say weak, and admittedly one dimensional. Why is it that the mildest tasting tobaccos are often the hottest/most likely to burn the tongue? My father always told me he smoked St Bruno because Gold Block was too expensive, so when I started experimenting with this in the early eighties I felt I was dipping into a luxury. I smoked enough of it to send in the coupons in one offer and get a free pipe lighter which I still have. The ingredients listed above say Virginia and Cavendish, but I had always thought this was a simple Burley (perhaps cavendish processed?) I defy anyone to dislike the room aroma, which is purely hay.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)

Stan to the rescue. An oldie but goodie if you get your hands on the tinned version. Have not tried newer pouch.

Bright virginia spiked with some burley in a sting cut but pressed into a near solid block in the tin. Not a crumble cake but a cavendish cut when you break some out and rub it a little.

Buttery sweet but light in taste. Room note more noticeable.

Burns ok to me; not wet. A little hot first couple of bowls but settles down into your pipe afterwards.

A true light virginia with a little added sweetness. Delightful, but sip don't slurp.

Big-Chris-UK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big-Chris-UK (1)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Being English , and GB being readily available from almost anywhere in the country, I have tried this tobacco on several occasions throughout my pipesmoking years and always came to the same conclusion "...what on earth do people see in this tobacco?". It's bland, it's tasteless, it's hot, it's too expensive. A friend of mine loves it as a 'roll up' (cigarette), but then again he also smokes Clan the same way.

BUT! My father used to smoke a pipe (he's still alive by the way) and GB was his favourite tobacco. He used to be a pub landlord (bear with me guys' I'm getting there!) and had B+B (bed and breakfast) facility. One of his regular clients was a sales representative for Ogden's tobacco who claimed that one of the finest smoking mixture was a 50-50 mixture of Gold Block and St. Bruno flake mixed together. My father never tried it himself he didn't like St. Bruno - but I do, and I have tried it! It has now become a staple smoke for me 50g of GB and 50g of St. Bruno. I sit and cut up the flakes into a decent size zip-lock bag with a pair of scissors (who's a philistine?) to get the pieces fine enough - no rubbing out by the way, then throw in the GB tease it out, then finish up giving the bag a really good shake. I?ve also found the flavour improves if you let the mixture ?marinade? for a couple of days in the air tight bag before smoking.

The end result is very pleasant, the St. Bruno, being in little ?lumps? tames down the tongue bite associated with GB, and that the GB lightens up the ?heaviness? that can be experienced with pure ST. Bruno. Nicotine strength increases and the 'room note' is very pleasant. For those of you who may rate the two brands why not give it a try?

My father said to me ??if this mixture is so good then why don?t they market it?? I suppose if they did that then they would only be selling one product instead of two, who knows?

Air Commodore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Air Commodore (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

This stuff always used to be reveered and was slightly more expensive. However I didn't like it back in 1978 and having recently tried it again I think my youthfull opinion was correct. It has no taste, no flavour, poor aroma. I suppose it might be usefull to mix with something that is a bit too strong in order to dilute its properties.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Strong

A friend of mine used to smoke this blend exclusively before it was manufactured by Imperial. He had a nearly full pouch of the new blend sitting around, so I asked if I could give it a go. Pouch aroma is stale, not grassy as in potentially good virginia, but stale as in poor cigarette filler tobacco. Burns hot(and quick), tastes bland(and stale) and really engulfs my car in noxious(stale) aroma. Here buddy, have this one back.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

"Hi Mr. Gold Block, I know that you're not very popular, but don't worry, I think you're a quite nice fellow"

A weird outsider this tobacco is.. Almost cigarette-cut, bright VA with a strange topping that i find very interesting. I smoked this when it was still made by Imperial, so this review may not be up to date.

Upon opening the tin I was greeted with the smell of freshly mown hay and that special topping which you either love or hate. I have difficulties describing it, but it smells and tastes like tarragon/woodruff/coumarine.

The nicotine level is, unfortunately not very high, but it doesn't matter, because the strange taste tickles my senses and makes me forget it.

All I can say is: Try it for yourself - It's 50/50 if it's gonna ring your bell I guess.

Note: The newer version from Orlik is totally void of the original topping. It's now a bright virginia - very close to RYO tobacco like Cutter's Choice of Amber Leaf. But a different cut of course

=== Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark ===

Pipe Used: Several

Age When Smoked: Old and New

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

Similar Blends: None.

Le'Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Le'Pipe (11)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I would have to agree with TDE's above review. To me it actually looks like a long-cut,shaggy cigarette tobacco. A combination of new mown hay and honey are the aromas I noticed when I opened the tin. I must say that the only other time I've encountered this particular flavor and fragrance was smoking Lane Limiteds " HONEY HEATHER ". Another CRAPTACULAR blend. This tobacco burns ,smells and tastes like you're "huffin a butt". If you normally smoke MARLBOROS but light a pipe on ocassion this might be the one for you!

mattjoycey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mattjoycey (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Ive noticed many people have said this is ok for young smokers. I purchased my first pipe today and i am only at the young tender age of 17. not having a clue what tobacco to buy i chose this one. Having only just learnt to smoke a pipe and keep it lit more than just a few seconds i would say that this was a pretty good starter for me, no harshness, and quite pleasurable. I have enjoyed it but i will definantly like to try many others. As a closing note, no doubt many of you are very experienced and would say im too young to enjoy the benifits of pipe smoking, others however may be pleased that someone so young has taken a rather keen interest. Please email me with any tobacco suggestions or comments regarding my age.

neo_knockout@hotmail.com

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)

If I can remember right, Gold Block was my first taste of a tobacco not from the States, so maybe that influences my review a little bit. Right now, I'm puffing on a bowl from a tin that got lost in my cellar for a few years. I can say that ageing improved this blend because the funny tasting casing that I vaguely remember from when the tin was new, is gone. The blend was a little dry but packed well and lit with no problems. I can't taste any Cavendish, but the Burleys really assert themselves and there's just a whisper of the Virginias to add a touch of sweetness. I like it a lot more now than I did a few years ago, actually. It does smoke a little warm, but overall I can see myself finishing the tin with no problems...

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

C. S. Lewis' favourite blend.

Not a bad choice for old-fashioned Anglicans: this was a mild, smooth, tenderly contemplative composition, as moderate in temperament as it was sedate in your pipe. Elegant, with "a demeanour nobly bland". A much more liberal Anglican, I always found Gold Block a blend for grand dads with pocket repeaters and rimless spectacles. (Like mine!)

I describe this in the past because what Imperial Tobacco, a soulless, heartless octopus dedicated to buying up everything and then turning it into cheap, wet-paper-flavoured ersatz Lumpendreck now sells as Gold Block is NOT what C. S. and bonpapa used to love back when. (Then again, I. T. is the company that bought up THREE NUNS in order to sell it with the "périque" flavour applied as A SYNTHETIC CASING AGENT!!!)

If you love the Screw-Tape Letters and the Chronicles of Narnia, and can get your hands on an old tin of GOLD BLOCK, bon appétit! Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

Appearance: Mostly yellow and orange , medium width ribbon cut.

Aroma: Sort of grassy, as in not well matured Viginias.

Packing: Packs easily in most pipes.

Lighting: Lights easily, someimes with one match.

Initial flavor: I wish I could describe it, but I can?t find it. There is hardly any flavor to speak of. Maybe this is why so many Virginias are pressed.

Mid-bowl: Exceedingly mild flavor, reasonably cool and dry. The room aroma was similar to English cigarettes (Players, not Sobranie).

Finish: A bit stronger at the end, but still not much taste.

Summary: Way too mild and uninteresting for me, but YMMV. If you like very light Virginias, this might be the one

TDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TDE (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

A blend of Virginia and Burley that is somewhat reminiscent of cigarette tobacco posing as a pipe mixture.

On the positive side; 1) it is very easy to light and keep lit (almost regardless of how you pack it) 2) the possibility of 'bite' to the tongue or roof-of-the-mouth for new pipe smokers is very low 3) it's room note is not super-heavy but neither is it memorably pleasent.

For pipesmokers who inhale the odd puff, Gold Block's strength will not knock you over.

On the negative side; 1) the initial room note is not unpleasant but fades to a stale cigarette-like smell in an hour or so. 2) it burns rather rapidly (even when puffed slowly) and is rather uneconomical over the long haul.

I think there are much better pipe tobaccos out there and am saddened to see the famous name of Ogden's associated with this rather unremarkable and insipid blend. Bring back Ogden's Special NutGone Celebrated Flake Tobacco!

SlowDraw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SlowDraw (23)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In the pouch it smells like cigarette tobacco without the cheap & nastiness of cigarette tobacco (& sweetened a bit). This blend has been recommended by the council of puffer's to new pipesmokers & I see the wisdom in that , it is very easy to smoke with no tongue- bite & minimal relights needed- also smokes very cool. On the down side I found it a little bit rough in the throat though & being used to smoking a Virginia- flake blend evryday- I found this .......a lil' boring. As an interesting sidenote I have heard that this was one of the blends that tested positive to polyglycogen (some synthetic moisture retainer) So if you keep wondering why your left testicle doubles in size every time you smoke this stuff- it's probably just the artificial additive.

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If I had to guess, I'd say that the "other choice premium tobaccos" is mostly burley. Either that, or the Virginias are awfully tame. Not a bad blend, but not a particularly distinguished one either.