The Leaf tobaccos for Erinmore are selected from only premium tobacco growing regions of the world. The blend consists of mature Virginia, mellow Burley and sweet dark air-cured tobaccos. It is pressed into cakes, aged and cut into slices providing a mellow and cool smoke with flowery and fruity note.

Notes: Formerly blended by Murray & Sons, UK, until 2005.

BrandErinmore
Taste

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Erinmore Flake is another icon in the pipe world. Much like Dunhills Nightcap this is a tin instantly recognizable by most well versed pipers. This is truly a stable of the pipe world, and just the fact that a blend has survived for as long as it has says a lot about the quality of the blend.

This technically is an aromatic but it sure feels funny to call it that. This does not feel like your typical light and sweet aromatic. This is definitely a linebacker in the aromatic world. It is big and hearty and powerful in both the flavor and nicotine department. This is definitely not in the same class as some dessert named goopy bulk blend.

The taste is very good. I am not going to get into the great pineapple enigma, quite frankly dont know and dont care. All I know is it is a big and delicious aromatic taste. Very satisfying on a nice winter day. The taste is fruity with a nice undertone of tobacco. There is no perique in this blend but it tingles in my nose the same way most perique blends do. Very nice.

One caveat to be aware of. Erinmore has been known to leave a very stubborn ghost, so dont smoke this in your favorite virginia pipe.

Overall a good choice for a stout aromatic blend. Although I dont smoke it often, but it is always satisfying.

Pipe Used: Designer Berlin sandblasted billiard

Age When Smoked: Purchased 2008

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium Medium Full Tolerable

I've been on a pipe smoking hiatus for a good six months now, for one reason or another. It's not like I ever intended this to happen, but sometimes things just get in the way. I'd still smoke my pipe occassionaly, though once every few weeks or so, but it wasn't until recently that I began reading the familiar newsgroups again on a regular basis. There's something about these outfits that just draws you in. I'm not sure what it is.

Working my way back into the routine, I decided to drop by for a visit at my favored tobacconist, in pursuit of a can of Odyssey. I was nearly heartbroken to find out that the place had been sold. All the pipes for sale had been taken down, and the regulars it seemed had moved away for some other location. The place was entirely empty. It was very depressing.

Well, they didn't have any Odyssey, and I found myself needing compromise. I considered a tin of London Mixture, Old Hollywood, and any other in a wide range. I was feeling adventurous, to tell you the truth. As I browsed slowly and methodically, the new owners whispered to each other, and finally one announced, "Are you going to buy those?" Looking at the tins in my hand, I could have shot back a sarcastic remark, or simply walked out. But I kept my mouth shut and told them to give me a bit more time.

And that's when I spotted Erinmore, still wrapped in plastic behind a display of the Peterson line. Now that I hear production has ceased, I figured it might be time to see what it's all about, before the supply dries up. In the past, I've read the reviews for this blend with amusement, and it reminded me very much of the common passions surrounding such peers as 1792 and Royal Yacht. I had always meant to try the blend, and had put it off considering what great competition remains out there.

So I picked up a tin, thanked the new owners, and headed for the door. Without a pipe handy, I decided to crack open the lid anyway, to see what I'd gotten myself into. Immediately I found myself reminded of apricots, and really, what a wonderful scent came from the tobacco, set in small, squarish flakes. I had visited some other tobacconist a year or so ago. He made it a habit to chew up a bit of tobacco upon opening a new tin. This sounded like an interesting experiment, and I came to do the same. To my mind, it even tasted like apricots--a sweet, fruity flavor that made me wonder why this stuff didn't come in a can of snuff or the chewing variety.

When I returned home a good few hours later, I loaded up an old billiard estate. I had cracked it a year earlier, right through the bowl, and having not been smoked for a number of months, the crack widened nearing the thickness of a quarter. But I fired her up anyway. I don't mind smoking crummy pipes.

That apricot note I remembered transfered well to the taste. I didn't find an overbearing strength or strongly cased blend, but a smooth, full flavored tobacco that burned cool and reminded me why I had taken up the pipe. A great reintroduction, in my estimation, and a pleasant surprise. The pineapple on that tin cover probably sends the wrong message.

Sorry for the long winded review. I suppose I've had a lot on my mind.

Four of Four

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)

I smoke Erinmore by breaking up the small flakes into small pieces. It smells fruity. When first lit the taste was mild and pleasant. There is a sweet note that comes out as I smoke it. The berry flavor lingers in my mouth which is something I like. I find it to be mild in strength but builds somewhat as the bowl progresses. Although I like it, it wouldn’t be in my list of regular blends, but just as a nice change of pace.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Once again we have a blend that is not for those who don't yet shave. This is a flake that is stout, bold, different and an all-time classic.

When you open the tin, you will be able to tell that there is a flavoring, but Pinapple is not it, despite what you may read from some reviews above this one. That pineapple is a flavoring in this blend is a myth perpetuated by the picture of a pinapple on the lid of the tin.

The flavoring is discreet, and you will certainly get a huge blast of true tobacco taste. Mostly a virginia/burley mixture, the top coating lends itself in a way that brings out the strength of the blend. It will be difficult to smoke this all day due to its strength, and it does get a tad harsh as you get near the bottom of the bowl.

If you don't like fruity top notes, steer clear of this one!

Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bear (24)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

I have actually tried this tobacco long ago. I know, I know. I was young, naive, new in town and hungry. He said he could get me into "show business", NO, wait a minute that was a different story about an encounter with a stranger. At the time that I tried it, I had just made the transition from aromatics to Latakia, and was looking for a tobacco that I could enjoy in public without having to open a fresh can of Whuppass on potential smoke nazis. The new guy behind the counter recommended Erinmore Flake. I bought it, lit it. After waking, a few days later, I now had a punch line for roughly 11% of my future conversations with fellow pipe guys, and an ex tobacco retailer that I'm still on the trail of. I still fantasize about the next meeting. A smoky, dimly lit bar in South America. "Remember me you sick, sadistic Bastard? Stagg Tobacco, Phoenix, 1980.... If you HAD a future, I'd give you the following advice: If you try to kill a "Bear", you had better finish the job...!" But I digress. I wanted, in the interest of Science to try the tobacco again, Partly out of curiosity, partly out of a dare from an ASPer. I also received the Tobacco from a kind ASPer, so there you are. Appearance: A nice looking can, yellow with red logo, the tobacco inside appears to be a well made, attractive flake. The tin aroma is a fairly pungent pineapple -pineapple/cherry combination. It packs just fine. Test Drive: Fire touches, puff, puff...... Hey! Everybody!! There's a party in my mouth and you're ALL invited!!...A PARTY OF FRIGGIN' HELL'S ANGELS ON A KILO OF METH THAT IS!!! I haven't had this much fun since a bunch of force recon Marines caught me without my paratrooper buddies and nearly stomped me to death. As bad as this sounds, it's actually not as bad as I remember. I mean, I maintained consciousness this time, that's gotta count for something. The blend has a real peppery bite to it, and FWIW, the pineapple doesn't seem as obnoxious lit as it does in the tin. I couldn't finish the smoke which put it in some interesting Company, like 1792.

Aroma: 2-3 Burning qualities: 5 Taste: 2 Overall: 3

PettyOfficerPuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PettyOfficerPuff (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

So I took this tin out to sea with me on the last run. First bowl was pretty hot but Virginia tobacco tends to set my tounge on fire. The next bowl I packed in my cob and put it in my jacket while I sat on watch for an hour or so. As soon as I smoked this second bowl the deep sugars in tobacco came alive! I would say there is definatly a wood taste mixed with a fruity combo. Almost like visiting an old general store and the taste-smell you get when inside. My shipmates made notice of the room note saying it was pleasant and I have to admit after bowl number 12 the cob smelled wonderful sitting in my jacket before I packed it. I definatly had to smoke this a few times before I really enjoyed it.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Age When Smoked: fresh tin (2013)

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Strong

An old codger at the club offered me some of this. He had seen me put down my pipe things on the bar, and order an Old Bushmill's, neat. Since I had a small corncob with me, (I often smoke corncobs at the club: my own little statement against arrivistes with huge, enormous freehands) I accepted.

The first thing I remarked is that all Murray Sons & Co, Ltd flakes look alike: whether it be their proprietary Erinmore, or the farmed-out Dunhill "Light" Flake, or Peterson's University Flake, the size, look, and disposition of the 50 g étui is exactly the same; in fact, the smell, colour and cut of the flakes are all alike. I could hardly smell the Erinmore smell; either I am getting old, or they have moderated their topping, or the old codger had put this tin under an electric fan. Peterson University Flake's very light cherry topping smelt much more noticeable to me than this. (Then again, U.F. has in it Burley, the slut of the tobacco bar; it sucks everything in sight sans peur et sans chagrin!)

At first light, I immediately remarked, once again, how wonderful a Virginia flake this is: strong, round, with the big Virginia flavour filling my mouth: this is how it is supposed to be!

I was then shocked into realising that I didn't really taste The Taste hardly at all: a very occasional sweet tartness bringing to mind, perhaps, mint; no more. The dominant flavour here is the fine, superb Virginia.

Unlike Burley and Burley-based non-English Cavendish leaf, Virginia cannot be heavily cased. The tobacco simply does not suck up the casing sauce the way Burley does. That is why the traditional Anglo-Irish way with pressed Virginia is to TOP it, i.e., to spray a light flavouring over the TOP of the uncut cake. The inside is not sprayed at all. The result is a very much subtler redolence than the baths in casing sauce that American-type Cavendish concoctions receive. (Dutch and Danish blenders do the last as well, but much more restrainedly, and on better-quality leaf.) This distinction applies much more emphatically to Erinmore: the Plug and Flake, fine, strong tobacco lightly topped, are very different from the cased, ready-rubbed mixtures, where the flavouring is, well, repulsive. (Though not any more repulsive than a multitude of savagely cased cheap Burley than millions of people in this country smoke, day-in, day-out, without batting an eyelash.)

This delicious flake puts me in mind of smoking Murray's legendary VELVAN PLUG again. It is supposedly the Erinmore mix MINUS the Erinmore topping. Last smoked it in Bermuda...20 years ago? Can it be? Then again, when was the last time you saw it at an American tobacconist?

Laserboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laserboy (11)

I find myself reaching for this tobacco more and more. I appreciate its balance, the fact that it isn't very much of any one thing: If you're looking for a nutty burley, this isn't going to do it; if you're looking for a sweet and tangy VA, then you'll be put off by the topping; if you're looking for an aromatic, then the flavoring will seem bland and unsatisfying. Erinmore Flake is all of these things, but none of them takes the fore, and this makes it a very pleasantly balanced smoke. Add a satisfying nicotine hit, and the package is a complete one for a go-to blend.

The dominant flavor, for me, is that of the interplay between Virginia and Burley tobaccos. But omnipresent is the topping that several reviewers have characterized as "tooty fruity" and I completely concur. But the topping, while impossible to ignore, doesn't overwhelm. It is a seasoning for the tobacco's flavor, not the main flavor in the set. The flakes are always neat and nicely arrayed in the tin (until one starts pulling them out) and I find that packing a small-bowled pipe requires merely a "fold and stuff" of between one and two flakes. Little preparation is needed and I never rub this blend out--the burn quality of the flakes is just right.

Smoking Erinmore Flake isn't a life-changing experience. But it's a very nice way to spend 45 minutes of one's day. I like it with a mild-flavored beverage--tea or not-too-heavy beer. And, for me, it works best in warm weather.

Similar Blends: Peterson - University Flake.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I smoked this tobacco for the first time about 30+ years ago. At that stage it contained a fresh, fruity taste in every tin. It has changed quite a bit with time but I still adore it. It's sweet but not in an aromatic way. The biggest change is consistency. Whereas previously every tin's contents tasted the same, this does not hold true anymore. I received a batch of 6 tins and only 2 of them held the tobacco I was used to. But, never the less, it remains one of my favourites. I love the smell it sets free while burning, no tongue bite (NO TONGUE BITE!) remains lit very easily and the nic hit is, for me, just right. This is one great tobacco in the real sense of the word and I would not like to be without it, ever.

Pipe Used: Parker Russet

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Unique.

Jocose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jocose (12)

An excellent combination of quality Virginias and a natural casing/topping (which, BTW, is approved by The Briar root association)

Pros: Burns long and without bite, gives a pleasant room note if smoked indoors and will always leave you wanting more.

Cons: Low on nicotine.

Makes for a wonderful companion while in the woods.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (52)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Oh Erinmore Flake, where have you been my smoking life? Glad I tried this! What a great smoke. It's what I've been looking for. A great VA Burley flake that has flavor. Its more on the med side than mild. I love the fruity flavoring that stays with you, so you get the great va burley tobacco combo with a fruity topping that doesn't overwhelm the blend. This blend is favorable and you don't have to work hard. I did a fold and stuff in my Peterson 308 (which Im thinking about retiring as I just found out how rare it is) and enjoyed great smoke to the end. Decent Nic kick. Try it!

Pipe Used: Vintage 1942 Peterson 308

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin. No air dry.

Purchased From: Jr Cigars.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (22)

Love love love erinmore, I just can't praise this blend enough. It's a top quality virginia/burley with a touch of casing and fruit flavoring.

HOWEVER, I'm a little reluctant to call this an aromatic because it has such a nice, natural, Virginia taste to it, as I'm sure most others would agree. There are seasoned smokers who never touch aromatics who love this blend.

Burns cool, tastes good, very temper-mental... What more can I say. Just go get some, especially if you like Virginias.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Update: My original review will be found below - without any change. I was going to remove one star - of how it stacks up against formidable competition in the range and my enthusiasm when reaching for it. However, I found that it may have been eclipsed accidentally, since with a fair amount of airing - aged tins of this blend are wonderful.

Generally, these flakes require considerable airing - weeks / months for me. That is to say, I break the seal on the tins, re-close and place them back in my tobacco cabinet. Opening and looking at the flakes over a period of weeks before reaching for them. The difference is astounding. Fresh from the tin - this wouldn't even get one star - however with significant coaxing - it is an occasional treat in a small pipe. The topping becomes just a bit of support for high quality VA's.

I do though, thoroughly enjoy the reviews of this tobacco. Most entertaining is the down right adamant assertion that some have assumed that Pineapple is an ingredient and don't understand logo - which implies - "rare quality." However, no one has made this point more clearly than the reviewer 'Mo'(29 Oct 2007), who didn't particularly like the tobacco, but made an excellent and funny point about the Pineapple conspiracy.

Also, I am still smoking a supply of tins from the Murray production and haven't smoked any Erinmore Flake that wasn't made in Northern Ireland, yet.

_________________________________________________________________

27 October 2005 - Erinmore Flake is pretty much to me, a wonderful VA with a slight flavoring. The outstanding high quality VA flavor is deep and I believe the flavoring agent tames the high pungent notes of the VA very nicely. It is an unusually cool smoking blend that doesn't require any typical VA smoking technique. In my opinion, if one is looking for an aromatic tobacco this would be a huge let down, since this may have a signature aroma but not that of the traditional aromatic genre.

I always smoke EF as a flake. As another reviewer noted ... it may take a few matches to get it going but my experience has been after a tamp an relight ... it is rather well behaved.

One other comparison if you will permit ... I smoke this as I do GH Rum Flake. To me it is similar in pedigree, although the GH is buttery and soft, the EF is more piquant but in either case the topping is about setting the stage for the tobacco. A very nice smoke!

Cheers, VC

Michi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michi (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The flakes are in a fresh opened tin very wet but smoke able when i prepare them like ready rubbed cut.Also pack it loose in your pipe. At best fill your Pipe bowl and let it rest for 1 hour before you light up the tobacco. I can taste the un smoked tobacco flavoring during the smoke well (with the r.rubbed method) and i practice it for a long time. The tobacco burns slow.I like to use pipes with narrow bowls like prince,brandy pot shaped bowls.I don't recommend high bowls like chimney or Dublin etc. Its my favorite flake tobacco and its worth to experiment with this tobacco how to smoke it right for yourself.

Pipe Used: Petersons/Dunhill prince shaped

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I liked this one. It tasted light with a hint of fruity sweetness. It burned very well and was satisfying. I got a small sample of this from smoke king and although it felt quite dry about halfway down the bowl it was struggling to stay lit. I dumped out the bowl and sure enough it was a little damp near the bottom.

I left it out for a few hours until it was almost crispy and tried again... beautiful! This one loves drying time. Nothing to complain about at all.

dedalto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dedalto (18)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yea! This was of my first tobaccos I smoked. I thought for some reason it had been discontinued. It has changed a little since 1968, but it still a pleasure to smoke. A great full flavor and a neat topping which still reminds me of juicy fruit gum. I would actually smoke this daily, but I have difficulty finding it. Any rate big taste, huge flavor, and a pleasure to smoke. You should try some before you or the tobacco is discontinued. Recommend highly three 1/2 stars.

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Boy, I really like this stuff. I don't know about it tasting like juicyfruit. To me it tastes like a subtle light fruitiness. I am particularly sensitive to aromatic casings. I don't like 'em. But this stuff tastes like what it is - a really good Virginia / burley flake with a touch of sweetness. I've read that Virginia flakes don't readily absorb casings and require a surface spraying, and that is what you taste. This is much better than a loose tobacco with flavored cavendish added. And that is exactly what I wanted, a mild background flavor that complimented instead of burying the fine Virginia flavor. I particularly like the mildness. I can't get it to bite or burn hot. Then there is the nicotine, to which I am also sensitive. It is very mild. I know several have said it has a good nicotine hit, but I haven't experienced it. Give this stuff a try.

I was about to go cold turkey and quit smoking a pipe but flake smoking has remedied the problems I was having with pipe tobacco. I'll revisit this review in a year or so.

Pipe Used: corncob

Age When Smoked: new from the tin

Purchased From: local pipe and cigar shop

Similar Blends: MacBaren Flakes except with more sweetness.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is a very nice sipping tobacco. The added flavorings seem to, for the most part, match and enhance the natural flavors of the Virginias making them richer. The Burley is mostly silent until the second half of the bowl where I can only faintly pick it up at random times. It's role seems to be to add a little backbone body-wise. This smokes al lot like a somewhat rich straight Virginia to me. With the flake rubbed out about 75% it makes for a long burning smoke. The flavors seem to come out best when sipped. Burns a little cooler that way also. Medium in body and flavor. A nice tasting flake.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Erinmore Flake is one of only about 3 of my experiences with tinned tobacco, and my first flake. The smell of a freshly opened tin is absolutely wonderful, a smell that reminds me of the taste of sweet iced tea and dried apricots. Surprisingly enough, these notes carried in the smoking quite well, something that rarely happens with any of the locally blended aromatics that I smoke.

Not heeding the warnings of letting a flake dry out for 10-20 minutes or so, I will say I had some problems with lighting, relighting... but this did not seem to adversely affect the flavor. After experimenting with some rope tobacco the night before, the mildness of the nicotine was a welcome change from the sledgehammer that is typical of rope.

I really enjoyed this tobacco. I used it to break in a brand new pipe, and I have decided that Erinmore will always have a place on my tobacco shelf, and will be the only blend I smoke in this new pipe.

=UPDATE 2014-07-18= While I still enjoy Erinmore from time to time, my beloved ship has sailed as it being one of my favorite tobaccos. I find the topping to sometimes be slightly off-putting and pungent if I'm not expressly in the mood for it. I have quite a few tins that I will sit on for a few years, and I'll enjoy it from time-to-time... but no longer is Erinmore practically a daily smoke for me.

Pipe Used: Unsmoked Savinelli Natural Dubliner

Age When Smoked: Purchased March 2014

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (56)

This is a tobacco that has changed several times in different ways over the years. I am not the sort of man who can tell you what side of the hill the grapes in a particular wine were grown, nor am I an industry insider with any objective information in this regard. I am simply someone whose father smoked this tobacco, and for whom it is therefore an endearing childhood memory, and who smoked it himself fairly continually since the mid 80s. My thoughts therefore are entirely subjective and could be the result of declining faculties or tricks of memory.

Nonetheless I am confident, even with no real basis for this confidence, that this blend has had 3 significant revisions in recent decades. The first I think was in the mid 90s while Erinmore was still made by Murrays in Belfast. The second was in the period around 2005 when production moved to Denmark under the 'supervision' of Murrays. The third was in the last year or so.

The overall effect, and again, this is simply my impression, is that bright virginias have been cut back and that burleys have been increased, I had always assumed Erinmore Flake was essentially a virgina blend, and I cannot be alone here; most of the older reviews make no mention of burley at all. But burley is definitely a part of the mix here now. Says so on the tin. It also manifests as a slight bitterness as the bowl progresses.

The casing itself also seems to have changed. While the tin note of apricots is still present, the 'soapiness' or floral character is much subdued. I believe the first of these changes happened circa 95. I do not believe EF is pressed and steeped in these flavourings for a significant period in the way it has been in the past. The tin notes are now so ephemeral after a tin has been opened a few days, I suspect the casing is now added to the base tobacco just before it is packaged. Likewise the room note for this tobacco, once legendary, is now a ghost of its former self.

Having rid myself of the nagging comparison to the past, on to how EF smokes. This is a review of the current square tin from Denmark. There is also available in Australia a long cut pouched version. The diminished aroma is particularly noticeable in that version.

The tin note is apricot and dried fruits. The floral notes are minimal to non existent. I have always rubbed out EF. It lights easily and requires little maintenance. It will burn slowly and coolly until I get to dottle and then will abruptly stop, as burley blends tend to do for me. A few pokes and the tobacco is good for another 10 or 15 minutes. The room note is moderate and does not smell of much beyond tobacco itself.

The blend itself is very smooth smoking. Sweet and creamy and quite mild. The tobacco produces very little heat or steam and no tongue bite. There are harmonious hints of nuts and ripe fruit, from the tobacco itself I would suggest, not from casing. I would suggest this is a conversational tobacco rather than one intended for meditation, assuming you have a friend happy with pipe smoke. It is moderate and congenial and mild. Despite the changes, still a very good tobacco in its own right.

SiChange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiChange (14)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I rub it out quite fully and pack it somewhat lightly. It has a round, slightly sweet taste, the casing not hiding or covering up the tobaccos. Burning qualities are excellent, it rarely needs a relight. Notably gentle on the tongue and mouth. An excellent flake.

Pipe Used: Bulldog, billiiard

I have wanted to try this for a while now so had a fair amount of anticipation for it ! The unlit tobacco is of a good consistency combining good moisture level (without being too damp) with a nice thickness to the flakes . Rubbing and filling is very non-demanding , as is the lighting because it takes to the flame with ease and stays lit well . The smoke has a dominance of Virginia with an easily detectable background note of Burley which adds depth to its character and the flavor is consistent the whole bowl long . I don't get any bite and the smoke is not too hot . A fairly "as expected" room note but pleasing non the less ! Glad I have tried this as it is a pleasure !

Pipe Used: Falcon

Purchased From: Smoke King

GenericusernameYOB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GenericusernameYOB (4)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know why it took so long for me to try out Erinmore Flake, I suppose with so many other exotic tobaccos, this one gets overlooked. It's an OTC blend in the UK, that is, if you can find pipe tobacco at all.

Dark uniform flakes in the tin that look oily, with a fruityness that's more subdued than zesty, and recalls dried apricot. Not too moist, it packed without issue from being half rubbed out.

I wasn't expecting such a luxurious smoke, there are definite creamy, buttery moments through the snork, and a velvety smoothness in the mouth. Quite delicious. Sweetness is there, though I couldn't classify this as an aromatic at all. Definitely not in the Danish / American sense. Surprisingly the fruity nose in the tin doesn't transfer further than the charring light / 1/8th of the bowl. Just a well behaved virginia that I can't imagine anyone not enjoying.

All in all, easy to maintain, no bite, and surprisingly good. Also packs some nicotine, which is nice.

Pipe Used: Astley's rusticated billiard

Hamzah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hamzah (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking this tobacco since the last three years. What is really nice about it is that the taste is stable and I feel very relaxed while smoking it. Its price is very reasonable and the way it is packed is really neat specially the flakes that are cut equally. I smoke it in one of my small pipes and I keep the flakes without rubbing. All I do is turn them and fill my pipe wihout pushing the tobacco. My uncle used to smoke this kind of tobacco in the seventies when it was made in Britain and I used to take some and taste them in my old pipe. There is little change in the taste but not much as some claim. I do usually compare between tobaccos because each kind has its own distinguished taste but what I like about this flake is that it keeps me in the mood till the end. Think of the acceptable price. It is worth trying and be a choice.

Pipe Used: stanwel

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Pleasant, well-balanced blend. The base tobaccos are excellent, and the added flavor fits right in, without taking over. Burns cool and clean, on one light. As you work through the bowl the complementary added flavor, and in particular, the Virginia base, come through, with the Burley providing a warm nutty background. Very well done. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: MM, Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Unknown; at least 3 months.

Purchased From: Unknown; gift from a BOTL

Patryk Georgevitch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patryk Georgevitch (9)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Very sweet tasty fruity bouquet. Both Virginias and Burleys are present in the smoke with the adequate balance of earthy tasting Burleys and sweet gentle Virginias. A great tobacco to enjoy in a Churchwarden pipe with Earl Grey tea or Jasmin Tea.

Pipe Used: Dr Plumb Chruchwarden

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)

It's sort of a standard burley flake, but it seems to have some flavoring added, which doesn't come through strong, but I'd still prefer not to have it. Upon lighting it, it smokes nice and tastes great, but as it goes down it quickly starts tasting funny, to me almost like a dill pickle taste. Very unpleasant, and unfortunately happens every time I smoke this blend. This blend was a disappointment to me, but my friend seems to love it so it might just not work for my taste buds. Two stars.

Medium Mild Medium Strong

I don't know why I have been dodging the tin in my local B & M for so long, but I finally decided to buy it and I found it incredible. Perhaps it was the reviews that set my up for a let down as many bemoan the aromatic qualities of the blend. I found them quite subdued. I will note that my tin had been sitting there for awhile as it was clearly the Murray Tin.

I found it to be even less aromatic than the supposedly non aromatic Best Brown #2 and it just may bump that one from my rotation.

As to the room note, I smoked this at an outing and, not only did I fail to receive a single compliment, a guy who smokes cigars was repulsed by the smell, so that is all I have to go off of. In addition to this, my four year old son told me it stunk and he can stand and have a conversation with me when I am in the can. It is certainly not a crowd pleaser, but it is a palette pleaser.

Stilbon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stilbon (9)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

My third experience with flake VA. I was really curious about the "fruity" taste described on the tin, as well as from other reviewers. Upon opening the tin, the flakes are beautifully cut and rub out easily. I didn't find them too moist and after rubbing them out, they took a flame easily and burned consistently without much work throughout the smoke.

In the tin, there is a definite fruity smell, alike to pineapple and other tropical fruits. However, I didn't really taste much of those flavors while smoking. The burley and VA were most noticeable, the hay-like earthy taste being dominant. About half way through, there was a nice spicy fruity taste that peaked in and out but unfortunately never stayed as long as I was hoping it would. Room note is tolerable but certainly not an aromatic by any means. Nicotine kicked me pretty hard after I finished the whole flake. Granted, it took me almost 90 minutes to do so.

Overall, a nice VA flake. Still not sure if it's really my thing as I tend to like sweeter smokes but I have to give Erinmore Flake at least 3 stars for the quality of the tobacco over my personal preferences. Definitely worth checking out though at least once during your piping adventures.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm very fond of good old Erinmore Flake. It's a beautifully presented flake—small, and square, with a mottled coloring dominated by dark brown. Apparently a mix of sugary Virginia and dry Burley, the stuff smokes just fine and can be folded and stuffed or rubbed out with equal ease. The slices are fairly thick, and so even rubbed out, it tends to smoke nice and slow. It also has pretty good strength, something I value in my tobacco. Up to this point, Erinmore is a pretty classic Virginia Flake lifted with some Burley (like most Virginia Flakes, whether they admit it or not).

And then, of course, there's the endlessly discussed, praised, or maligned topping. I'm not really sure what to say about it, but I will say that this is a tobacco for which stay-away warnings and glowing, buy-some-immediately recommendations are equally meaningless. The flavoring is so unique that it really needs to be experienced.

Personally, I like it. I think the closest descriptor with which I agree is the licorice/Juicy Fruit combination. For fun, I looked up the signature Juicy Fruit flavor and found that at least some believe that the flavoring may be Isoamyl acetate, an ester which provides flavors reminiscent of peach, banana, and, yes…pineapple. A little Isoamyl acetate…a dash of licorice…and poof…Erinmore Flake. Is this the secret recipe? I have no idea and I don't really care.

If I have any real criticism of Erinmore, it's that it can turn on me and bite occasionally. For whatever reason, every tenth or twelfth smoke gets steamy and hot on me. This situation is probably more a result of my excitement over the flavors provided by Erinmore than it is a negative quality inherent in the tobacco.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Very Strong

If there are blends that can be considered High English blends (Squadron Leader; Aristan's Blend; Margate; Blackpoint; British Woods; etc…) I believe there are some virginia flakes that can be considered High Virginian: FVF, Opening Night, Hal O the Wynd, Union Square, etc. Erinmore Flake definitely falls in this camp.

It's a high quality straight virginia that, like other “single malt” flakes, has its own character, one which the copy has right: it's a bit flowery and fruity. That said, I find myself once again arrayed against the opinion of the vast majority of my pipe smoking brethren in that I don't detect any hint of the strong casing so easily discerned by others.

Indeed this tobacco seems to have the most wildly variable “Flavoring” ratings of any tobacco on this site. I appear to be one of the tiny handful of reviewers who, like ivycap and Spike, believe that there is no topping here. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the fruity, flowery flavor I discern I would simply ascribe as being a characteristic of the flake itself. But pineapple? Just because there's a pineapple in Erinmore's logo doesn't necessarily mean it's a flavor to be found in the smoke. I was actually looking forward to it, and was disappointed not to find it.

Erinmore Flake is a quality virgnia, to be sure, but one I won't buy again. There's a quality to this smoke that doesn't agree with me, one that opens a mild but unpleasant pit in my stomach, and not in the same way as other strong Vitamin N blends. Still, it's worth a try, and like other quality virginias this one benefits from a very slow draw. I would also recommend letting it dry out quite a bit.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)

Your basic very, high quality aged Virginia/Burley with no top-flavoring or casing. It is in the form of perfect-sized flakes. One flake is great for a small flake pipe. 1 1/2 for a medium sized pipe. Fold in half one way and then in half again the other way, then roll it in your hands to rub it out as much as you want. Then slide into a clean pipe and smoke slowly and calmly. Natural sweetness and delight should ensue. This is a strong nic tobacco with a very mild and pleasant citris undertone.

Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received this as a sample - about an ounce. I didn't ask for it, I was leery of it as I had recently smoked as much of the Mixture as I could stand (not much) and reacted very negatively, but this one surprised me. I guess my assumption is always that a flake version of a blend should taste like a fully rubbed out version... and they did... sort of.

Somehow some way, Flake toned down the sour-sweetness I found in Mixture and it tasted sweeter with less sour bitterness. I did not find much of the spiciness others have written about, but I did get a fairly sweet (and thankfully non-tastebud riddling!) flavor all the way down the bowl. I can certainly see how this one could have its followers. The flakes were beautiful! But then again, I'm always enamored of a flake presentation in the tin. I tasted no "spoiled pineapple", which I know is just the mind playing tricks - there's no pineapple in here! - just a nice, smooth easy to smoke sweet virginia. Nothing earth shattering but nice and steady. Not enough flavor for me, however. But do try this if you like a sweet but natural tobacco or you just want to sample some history.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

First of all, forget the pineapple! It is a traditional welcome sign to welcome guests into your home. The tobacco is not pinapple flavored. This is a strong one note tobacco. If you are one that can't smoke at work or home and need a quick nicotine hit, give this a try. It is too strong for an all-day smoke for me, but if I had limited time to smoke, this would be a good choice. I have found if you chop it up first before trying to smoke it works very well. If you just bend the flat slabs or trist them up to stuff in the bowl it would take 4-10 matches to get it going. Very dense, heavy smoke. I doubt most women or non-smokers would like this blend.

sibeen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sibeen (9)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

After perusing this site for quite a few years I've finally decided to bite the bullet, register, and post my first review; and it is the Erinmore Flake that has tipped my hand.

It's not the worst tobacco that I've ever smoked - that 'honor' would have to be reserved for Peterson's Hyde Park, but it has certainly made the list of "never to be bought again".

I have no idea what the casing used on this tobacco is, other than to say it's not pineapple, but whatever it is - it's disgusting.

I first tried it in my 303 and the taste was sickly sweet and over powering. A day later I thought I'd give it one more go and loaded up my Killarney 03. Again yuckity yuck bleugh! I cannot taste tobacco through the devastating casing.

To add insult to injury, it severely ghosted both pipes. Last evening I loaded the 03 with some Irish Flake, and all I could taste was the insidious brew of erinmore. Never again.

Pipe Used: Peterson Standard 303 & Peterson Killarney 03

Age When Smoked: New tin - just delivered

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I gave up pipe smoking for about six months at one point maybe six years ago now. One day at work I decided I wanted a pipe while I was making a long drive in a box truck. I stopped into a little tobacco/lottery shop near 95 in ct. Aside from some lesser brands all they had was cherry bomb and this little yellow rectangular tin. I had never had flake tobacco before. I think I picked it up bc I seem to recall tom hanks son young son in "road to perdition" smoked it haha. By the way, it is not pineapple flavored. The pineapple is the international symbol for hospitality. It may just be an intended expression of such on the part of the original blending co.

Anyway. I didn't know about the folding process, so rubbing it out was the best I could figure. It was a bit wet at first. Not bad though. To my palate at the time, it was a rich tasty tobacco. Some kind of a flavor to it, wasn't sure what it was at the time. Now I believe it was a subtle Lakeland. It got better in the second half too. It became my favorite for a while. I googled how to smoke it and learned about the folding. Oddly enough, it was a vid of some old English guy from dunhill or some such. Macbaren maybe? I liked it better folded. I found a Grabow that it fit perfectly in. (I was 25 at the time, we all make mistakes) it does have some kind of a fruity note to it btw.

It burns nice and slow folded. Provided you take the time to charr it properly so it expands to fill the bowl. Otherwise you get long pieces that don't burn with the rest of it. Burns down pretty clean, it needs to sit on the bottom to avoid dottle bit in your mouth when it gets low. Not much nicotine content in the grand scheme of tobacco. I even kept some in a jar rubbed out on my secretary.

Here's my issue, maybe a question to others. The flavor seemed to change when the tin went square shaped. The new tin also has a label. The old one was painted. I had a shop near my work keeping this in stock for me. One day he had different tins in. The flake changed shape as well. It didn't fit in my pipe anymore. And, it tasted like soap. I got another tin. It did too. I had one older one in a draw, and there it sits as I write this. I'm saving it for a special trip or something. Anyone else have this experience with the soap taste?

Pipe Used: Grabows, bent and billiard. Cobs

Age When Smoked: New, left in jar

Purchased From: Most tobacco shops

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I really love this flake. I am a big fan of flakes. I particularly enjoy this as an after supper smoke. The nicotine is not very strong but it is enough to give a bit of a jump. The tin note is mildly fruity. To smoke this I've tried rubbing, "Z" folding and rolling and stuffing. All work well but I tend to like "Z" folding the best. I burns well, a little slow, and stays lit. There is no tongue bite and the aroma and flavor is mild and very nice. It is a wee bit stronger than Petersons University Flake, which I find very mild.

Pipe Used: Perterson Deluxe XL5s

Age When Smoked: 2 years sealed

Purchased From: Jade Smokers Corner

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)

A staple in the pipe world, and to be frank im pleased its still around although i dont smoke it often. Although it is a bugger to get lit (and keep lit) I enjoy the fruit topping and the good hit of vitamin N i get from this, most impressive of all is the consistency ive noted over the last decade or so with this blend. And i cant say the same for other brands.

rtheen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rtheen (3)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco was a favorite of mine. It made a great everyday any time tobacco that was mild in every form of the word. I like the taste of the Virginian tobaccos here. I found it smoked well in a long thin bowl, which kept it cool. I did find if this tobacco got fairly hot, like many Virginian blends can gets almost ashen. I would smoke this down to a small white ash. At the end of a bowl it is tricky to slow down, but very nice blend.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (16)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Good solid smoke. The fruity topping is somewhat less than I expected, a strong hint of fruit flavor rather than a strong fruity flavor. Tin note is awesome with the tobacco note slightly overpowered by the fruit component.

Pipe Used: MM ozark hardwood

Purchased From: PandC.com

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (23)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

A very nice and smooth smoke. Virginia is the base and burley is definitely present at times throughout the bowl. Pleasant room note. A worth try blend.

Breizh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Breizh (7)

A similar smoke and blend to the Dunhill Flake, which is also one of my favourites, but I think that the Erinmore Flake just pips it. It is easy to prepare, always smokes well, has a pleasing taste, quality tobacco & available in Cork!

I prefer to rub a flake out rather than the fold & twist. I like to take it slowly and savour the moment, which after all is what pipe smoking is all about for me really.

Not as fruity as the Dunhill Flake, but still has a nice subtle hint of fruit, with a pleasing fresh hay fast too. Classic VA smoke form, one of my absolute favourites. If you like flake, not to strong, great VA taste, you'll like this.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kapet 606

Age When Smoked: From the tin, or a few months old.

Purchased From: Local Cork tobacconist.

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake..

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (133)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was a bit reticent to try this blend, since at my local B&M it was priced considerably less than other 50g tins. Boy, am I glad I did pick this up. What a great smoke. It is a nicely blended flake that comes out of the tine a bit moist, but not sopping wet. A little drying time might be in order for your preferences. Lights well and stays lit with little effort. Surprisingly, a nice hit of Vitamin N does leave its mark. YMMV. Recommended.

Leeharvey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leeharvey (1)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a tin based on the reviews of others and the desire to have a tobacco I could reasonably smoke indoors without upsetting anybody too much. I heard about the fruity casing and thought it would be like a pleasant Virginia with extra sweet flavour.

At first I found the flavouring sort of pleasant, but soon got tired of it, and its over the top floral background flavour. Since then, I have struggled to finish a bowl. I have found it consistently unpleasant compared to other VA's. This ties in with my experience of other heavily topped tobaccos which seem to taste mainly of burnt sugar throughout the bowl.

Perhaps I'm being unfair, perhaps I am hopelessly inexperienced in these things, but I still have more than half a tin left and little desire to finish it off. In the meantime, I have ploughed through a tin of SG Golden Glow, and am loving my tin of Nightcap.

Honzz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Honzz (10)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice slightly sticky flakes that have the aroma of a kind sophisticated Juicy Fruit gum. They rub out easily. I don't dry them as some folks do, I aerate the tobacco, sifting it and sprinkling it as I rub it out this makes it very easy to light and smoke. The flavor is not overly complex. It starts off a bit ashy but quickly becomes a nice smooth blend of pleasant but unspectacular, mild Virgina and Burley flavors complimented by that nice but artificial tasting Juicy Fruit flavor. I really don't notice much of a flowery taste. Perhaps after having been recently assaulted by a dose of Lakeland before smoking Erinmore I simply didn't notice it. It's a not unpleasant easy to puff away on smoke. While it is Danish it is not a heavy and goopy aromatic. However it is an aromatic so I've been smoking it in a Vauen or Big Ben 9mm filter pipe. I experience no tongue burn, just the mildest Virginia tongue tingle. It burns somewhat rapidly but not overly hot. It will provide a mid-level helping of nicotine. While not unpleasant I don't regularly smoke this blend as there are so many better aromatics available to me when I desire that style of tobacco. I have used Erinmore in some of my personal concoctions, one of them mixing it with a dash of a heavy Latakia blend, some nasty musty C&D Burley and a bit of Black Cavendish. Sometimes the outcome of using this as a blender has been good but other times whatever is used to flavor this blend does not harmonize well with other tobaccos creating a rather unpleasant bitter taste. I tried a blend while visiting a tobacconist in Houston on a recent trip. They had combined Erinmore with Maduro leaf and Latakia in a house blend. I found it awful and recognized that nasty bitter unharmonized flavor. An upside is that Erinmore is very economical and the tin design is quite charming. Slightly Recommended.

erthbound0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erthbound0 (8)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE: I originally gave this tobacco three stars but I have to change it to four. First of all, I can't get this one out of my head. I find myself craving it a lot and every time I go into a smoke shop this is the first tobacco I look for. I cannot really put my finger one why I love this smoke so much, but one of the main reasons is the taste is not too overpowering. It is just enough that it leaves me wanting more for the next time. I highly recommend this tobacco.

There are a lot of reviews but I want to mention one thing. It was a delight to pack a bowl of this baccy. The flakes were perfect for bending right into the pipe. The moisture was perfect and I had no problem keeping this baby lit.

I smoked it four hours ago and I still have a delicious aftertaste in my mouth. I definitely tasted pineapple in there and it was delicious. It blended perfectly with the Virginias. Really, quite a marvelous taste and tin note.

The only reason why I am not giving this 4 stars is because I've recently been smoking Solani Silver Flake so compared to that everything else is notched down. Still this one could have gone either way. Great baccy all around.

TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

So I opened a tin of this about almost exactly a year ago (the newer rectangular tin). It was my first flake and I enjoyed the first couple of bowls. It seemed pretty mild. It had a very sweet tin note but the smoke had very little sweetness compared to what I was used to smoking (mainly aros). But it got pretty dry within a couple of weeks even though I kept the tin in a ziplock bag. The smokes were then very harsh to the back of the throat and not at all enjoyable. I decided not to review it at the time and I am glad I did.

One, I am a bit more experienced with flakes and more straight nonaromatic tobaccos. Two, I looked up how to rehydrate tobacco and got it fairly moist and then jarred it (back in March I believe). So I just opened it tonight and what an improvement! The flavor is more sweet to my taste and I can actually taste the nuttyness of the burley and the sweet almost ketchup taste of the Virginia. It is smoother than when I first opened the tin (I suspect it was already on the dry side then).

I am also currently smoking HH Dark Fired and I can taste the similarity in the types of tobaccos used. HHDF is much more savory and the taste is much stronger and smokier (stays with you through the next day). Erinmore by contrast, while still being smoky, is much lighter and sweeter (there is also no bite for me).

While the flavor of this isn't as tasty as Dark Fired, I could see myself smoking this more and regretting it less, if you follow.

The tin size is also more manageable if you don't smoke that often like me. I would recommend this but I can't give it four stars based on the trouble I had to go through with it.

Peace and happy smoking!

Terrigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Terrigar (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is lovely stuff, I'm probably biased as it was my Dad's favourite and his Dad's as well so it's something I grew up with. To start with; I don't believe that this tobacco is flavoured at all. The pineapple on the logo is an heraldic device that goes back to when the pineapple was so rare and expensive that anything associated with it attracted a real kudos.

Erinmore is a real old time classic flake, it has echoes of lakeland but none of the sometimes overpowering floweriness you can sometimes get with these tobaccos.

Erinmore burns exceptionally cleanly leaving little dottle. It is a very smoky flake producing a nice satisfying dense cloud of smoke. You will find very little bite from this if you treat it with a little respect. I don't find it wet at all and smoke it straight from the tin but it can be aired for a while or try the delayed gratification method and let it go out and get cold before lighting up again.

My experience is that I smoke it rubbed out for my first couple of pipes of the day but then roll and stuff for the remainder of the day; the differing preparation makes a noticeable difference in my opinion but it might just be my habit.

I really love this and never hesitate to recommend it.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this flake to be a little too cased for my tastes, like juicy fruit gum. I don't like the way the fruity topping blends with the smokiness of this blend. The flake rubbed out easily enough and took to flame well. This fruity, flowery flake didn't work well for me, but I could see some liking it.

Smoke in peace, my friends.

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The fruit/citrus tin notes are promising, but I did not find that this translates into the flavor profile whatsoever. I rubbed out one flake, stuffed it into an old Jobey Dansk briar pipe, that by now, has an adequate cake build up. It took three lights to get the tobacco burning, and it burned well thereafter. Plenty of smoke, but no flavors, other than a basic Virginia tobacco profile. So disappointing, given the pleasant fruity tin notes. The bowl did get hot, since I was puffing aggressively, trying to get some type of flavor out of this bland tobacco. No tongue bite. No aftertaste. This blend doesn't even make my top 25. I won't be buying Erinmore Flake again, when the tin is finished. Not recommended.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (52)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

This is the fifth Va/Bur flake I've tried, and as with the others it's very tasty. High quality pressed leaf, very hay-ish with a wiff of tropical fruit as a tin note. The flakes break up and prep better than any other I've worked on, and I air out each bowl's worth 2-3 hours prior to filling.

Using the Frank Method of filling [see YouTube ] it lights and burns well enough. No bite or lighting issues with this technique, and by sipping slowly i get some sweetness mid bowl, perceived spiceness-not unlike Perique toward the end. Mostly it's flavorful Vas with strength coming from the Burley(s), I could not identify any fruity/floral overtones whatsoever. Do not think Lakeland here-I know some of us [present company excluded] are not fans of florals in tobacco.

It won't surplant the esteemed University Flake with me, as although it shares many of UFs good points-nice tin presentation, quality construction, Vit N kick, good taste, but it's more akin in taste to what happened when I mixed Dunhill Flake with Solani Aged Burley Flake together-which i did because each alone were too one-dimensional to keep my pleasure center occupied:)

Although EF is tasty and more complex than DF or ABF to me, it misses the pluminess (I'm thinking that's not an accepted word btw) that gives University Flake the edge...at least that'a my perception.

Definitely worth trying, good price point, old school quality, should make Va and Burley fans content.

camillako Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
camillako (9)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sorry guys but this one doesn't work for me.

the tin smell is interesting but that doesn't translate into a good smoking experience.

first off, i've tried almost everything and I do have issues keeping it lit. i'm no big expert with flakes but it is annoying.

secondly, the mild, somewhat pleasant first few puffs, soon turn into a bizarre bite that just ruins it and pretty much covers everything you may have enjoyed so far.

wont buy this again.

RonPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RonPiper (5)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Very nice blend. Pleasant tin note reminded me of apricots,mango,pineapple, honey and lemon. Rubs out easily by hand although I prefer to use a "sweetleaf" tobacco grinder on my flakes. I'm able to pack a pipe better plus I feel this method unlocks more flavor from the tobacco. Amazon calls them a "herb" grinder. Check them out. Nice sweet smoke through out with no tongue bite. I slowly sipped this blend and was able pick up the wonderful flavors 1/4 into it. Started to pick up some full body taste halfway with the nic buzz showing up. Finished it off still tasting some fruitness in the background. Definitely would recommend trying and keeping a couple of tins of this in your cellar. I wouldnt call this a full blown aero so it should appeal to those vaper lovers who want a change of pace now and then. Wife didn't care for the after effects on my clothes. Three stars!

Makin' my wife rich one bowl at a time...

UPDATE: I'm giving Erinmore Flake one more star. After smoking several more bowls, I find myself thinking of this blend at work. I'm also going to purchase more tins for my cellar and dedicate a briar exclusively to this flake following Reiny's advice.

Reiny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reiny (5)
Medium Strong Full Tolerable

I wanted to review this classic blend as my first review posted on here.

This tobacco can best be described as a mix of high quality virginia and burley tobaccos pressed into a dense flake and flavoured with a crazy fruit cocktail kind of topping that brings to my mind at various points during the smoke flavours of: bananas, peach, apricot, liquorice, and yes the pineapple as promised on the logo.

Funny thing, I have never been an aromatics smoker but I find a definite place for this crazy pineapple cocktail dipped flake in my regular rotation of more "natural" flavoured tobaccos and i now have 3 pipes dedicated to this blend and it's sister the Erinmore mixture which is also very nice. This stuff is firmly in the uk tradition of scented virginia/virgina mix tobaccos such as Condor, St. Bruno, Revor Plug etc but has it's own unique identity (which will be firmly stamped on any pipe you smoke it in for a while, I find it best to dedicate pipes exclusively to this blend but an old pipe previously used for Condor will do in a pinch :).)

DrRay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrRay (5)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

I started this wonderful hobby in 1967. I know a lot of people don't like Erinmore Flake but I recommend that everyone try it at least once. Even in it's present state it is still a very well made and presented blend. Never oversomke this blend and it will burn cool and very long. Rub out one flake and don't it pack too tight. Charring light will not burn long and don't even try to keep it going. Tamp lightly and relight. Erinmore will burn well with minimum puffing. It is at its best when not pushed hard. If it goes out, let your pipe cool before relighting and it won't sour and will burn all the way down to a white ash. For a tobacco that is not a complex blend, Burley and VA, dark and light, the strange topping gives it some nice complexity. Every now and then it will offer up that pineappple juicy fruit burst followed by rich B&V straight tobacco tastes. I love this blend and have smoked it off and on since the 1960s. My favorites are still Balkan Sobraine, Night Cap and the venerable Edgworth Flake but I have smoked most everying out there and try to find something good in all of them. It is sad that so many of my old time favorites are long gone. I'm smoking Dunhill Standard right now. Give EF a fair shot, I hope it lives on. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)

An interesting tobacco that will inevitably be compared to University Flake.

Tin note is sweet fruits and a hint of aniseed. I prefer to rub out the flake and let it sit for twenty minutes or so. This takes the edge off the casing and makes the charring light just right for this crossover aromatic by pushing the tobaccos forward and the 'juicy fruit' into the realm of subtlety. My tasting notes remind me that this flake rubs out very easily - easier than most, if that matters to anyone. As the bowl progresses, the fruit gradually diminishes and the light VA/Bur flavor predominates. Interestingly, there is no bite whatsoever to this tobacco - a fact I tested through copious puffing of this light, delightful blend.

My favorite part of this flake is the final third of the bowl: after the fruity casing has been largely burned off, the cocoa notes of the burley assert and combine deliciously with the lingering fruit flavors to create a glorious crescendo of flavor. Truly spectacular and among my favorite "final thirds".

Highly recommended as a crossover for aromatic smokers looking to expand their enjoyment of tobacco.* Recommended as an occasional change of pace for Virginia, VaBur, and Burley smokers. May not appeal to hard core VaPer and Balkan smokers due to the overt citrus fruit casing. This VaPer lover, however, found it a wonderful change of pace.

* This blend is among my top few crossover recommendations for ambitious aromatic smokers along with GL Pease's Barbary Coast, Orlik Golden Sliced, and Peterson University Flake.

Geschichtlich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geschichtlich (4)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Despite having been predisposed to favor it, I cannot describe it as a preference. The tin aroma is fruity and pleasant, and the tobacco rubs out nicely and packs easily. But it has an edgy smokiness in the mouth, a dry harshness that its aroma belies. That said, it draws smooth and fairly sweet, and I've walked away from other tobaccos with a fair dirtier mouth. I'll accept it in a pinch, but not as a preference.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

Nicely cut flakes, I gotta say, this was my first flake when I started a while back and I loved 'em. I have again started smoking them and will finish what I have in the next week. I had bought another tin about a year ago and it is in my cabinet storage and will be brought out in a couple years. It's a good blend, nothing that stands out and says buy me, buy me, but a very pleasant and solid tobacco. It smokes a bit wet, even after a year in a mason jar, so it might be just me, but I'm not sure. The tobacco is a dark brown and rubbed out has long strands. Even rubbed out this tobacco smokes long compared to others tobaccos in the same pipe, which is a good thing if you like to smoke whilst watching a movie or such.

A good tobacco, but I will have to try the other tin after I'm done with this, and doubt I will buy another one. I like it, but can live without it.

ryan65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ryan65 (6)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

A classic VA/Burley with a slight fruit topping. I prefer to dry it out a bit and rub it out fully before packing my pipe. Not much else to say that hasn't already been said, a superb blend with high quality leaf.

thehaggis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thehaggis (18)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I just cannot get enthusiastic about this flake. I read the reviews...tried aging it, rubbing it out and darn near everything short of smoking while in some yoga position. All to no avail. The licorice note when you open the tin is pleasant (if you like licorice as I do) but it simply doesn't translate to anything much during the smoke and overall it is a disappointment. I did mix some with a bit of Burley and sprinkle the whole with some Dalmore Single Malt and let it sit for a few months. That was not too bad, but this stuff straight out of the tin is not worthy of being called an "exotic" or "exclusive" tobacc.

Oz Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oz Piper (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I don't hate it but I don't love it either. It is certainly quality tobacco that as others have mentioned needs a little drying time (i rubbed out and left for 1/2 hour) as it is pretty moist out of the tin. Burns well and smokes cool. I found no tongue bite at all. Not sure I would purchase again because the flavour is pretty unique and not one that I could get used too I don't think. Still, it is good baccy in anyones language.

johnstaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnstaf (12)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

The flavouring in this tobacco is very nice, but for me it's much too strong. The mild virginias don't stand much of a chance against the onslaught of fruitiness, which is a shame. Still, it's a high quality tobacco and I'm glad to have it for the odd smoke. I also think it would also be good to mix with a pure tasting VA.

It's difficult to know how many stars to give this tobacco. In terms of my taste its a two, but I admire it greatly for its individuality and quality. I'll give it a three.

SirMage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirMage (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

The taste I find is pretty unique, if you could smoke wood from an apricot tree, I imagine this would be the taste. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Very woody, with apricots teasing at the ends. The moderate amount of vitamin-N adds to it. Straight out of the tin it is ridiculously moist, definitely leave it to dry before smoking otherwise it's a snake with it's bite. Best enjoyed rubbed out IMO.

Overall unique but quite a decent smoke, it may require some wrestling to enjoy fully but definitely recommended - something every pipesmoker should try at least once. Won't be my go to, but will keep a tin close by to mix up the rotation.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco has been 'go to' blend for many people for many years, and with good reason. I mostly enjoy unadulterated Virginia and VaPer blends, so I was little reticent at trying this tobacco due to the many reviews that claim a "heavy casing" or "fruit" flavor. To my delight I found those reviews to be somewhat off base.

Yes, opening the tin greats you with a sweet fruity aroma, as is the case with many virginia based tobaccos. And yes, the tobacco comes a little more moist than is desired for smoking, but so do all other tobaccos, and for a reason - so it doesn't go bone dry immediately after opening the tin. I always air my tobacco out for at least an hour before smoking, and in the case of Erinmore flake, this made the tobacco very easy to light, and reduced any top casing to a pleasant background feature. Slow puffing reaps an easy and delicious smoke which becomes even better at mid bowl.

My brother, who is a new pipe smoker, took to this blend upon first trial. In his words it "tastes great, isn't too strong, and doesn't scorch the tongue". I set him up with an unopened, two year old tin!

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (25)

I think Erinmore is what PS LBF would taste like if you took out the perique, added burley and put a touch more topping in the mix. Make any sense?

That being said, it is good. I don't think it is too strong aromatic-wise and the VA and burley sort of cancel each other out and make for a flat, but enjoyable smoke.

I got no bite, but can see how it could happen if not dried out properly or puffed on like crazy.

Good room note...

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Erinmore Flake: Flavorless incense for pipes, not people. Nothing appealing, whatsoever. If you want something flat, try a pancake. At least with the pancake you can add flavor to it and it won't bite back.

Ravendog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ravendog (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice compact Tin that easily fits in a pocket for a smoke on the go. When open the Tin I felt Mauled by Pineapple and black licorice. For me the natural tobacco aroma is drowned by the heavy Erinmore topping. The flake rubs out nicely if thats how you choose to smoke it and has a mottled yellow and brown appearance. I had to let it sit a bit before I thought it had the right moisture content. When I hit the pipe with the match I almost instantly cringed from the tongue bite. For me the stuff burns HOT and has as bad a bite as some of the top contenders. It smells ok for room note, it is pleasant and no one complains. The flavor is again similar to a citrus/pineapple and the licorice blast in the tin dosent' really come through in the smoke (thank god). Not a tobac for me and I will struggle to ever get through this Tin. It has been cellared and tested for the past 2 years always with the same results. I think it is worth a try it may fit your smoking style just beware that Tounge bite.

keremgulermen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keremgulermen (10)

Erinmore flake is a unique all-day smoking flake according to me. It has very nice fruity scents and never exhaust you. Also it has very long smoking duration and the smokes are cool.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (41)

Years ago I had tried Erinmore Flake and found the flavoring and casing to be over the top. Today, I bought a can and tried a pipe full, then another then another. Well, I have to say this is a really nice mild to medium tobacco. There is no heavy note and the pipe doesn't seem to carry the flavor over. When I had tried it years ago it took a lot of cleaning and Sir Walter to get the flavor out of the pipe. This will become a regular for me.

twothumbedfist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twothumbedfist (3)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This review is based on frequent smoking of both the more recent flat, square tins and the rectangular tins before them.

This tobacco was the only tinned blend available at my local B&M for a couple of years so I can review it with confidence. Unique presentation and tin note aside, I've always been left wanting more after smoking this. There's a sweetness of quality virginia leaf desperately trying to burst out but it feels subdued by the bizarre casing and bland burley.

The moisture out of the tin makes these little flakes almost flame retardant and ridiculously unfun to smoke without extensive drying time, once dried you still get the same mediocre smoke with a fair few relights required. All in all, a lot of effort required for little reward. The room note is good though and it's one of the few tobaccos I can smoke inside the house without the missus throwing a strop, so plus points for that.

I'd say try this tobacco once if you can purely for the novelty value (because there really is nothing else like it) but don't go out of your way to get it. As far as aromatic flakes go, University Flake has much more going for it.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this on impluse and overall I'm glad I did. I don't get all the fruit, let alone citrus, that many others seem to get here (perhaps because I didn't rub it out). For me, that makes this a very pleasant solid semi-aromatic. The flakes are easy to fold, it smokes fairly slow, and makes a nice change of pace.

DrCHicks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrCHicks (9)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was given my first bowl of this fine flake at a briars club meeting. I was taken back to a milder age by the mild flavor of this flake. I enjoyed it and still smoke it often when I just want to relax and not become to envolved in trying to critique a tobacco. I probably buy a tin of this flake ever 3 to 4 months. I find it best smoked with a glass of red wine and a good friend nearby.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (19)

My first introduction to flake tobacco. It's an OK smoke to me. I wouldn't smoke this over some of my favourite Peterson blends.

If given the choice between this or an English blend, I would choose this one. I'll finish my tin, but I can't see myself buying it again anytime soon.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have never been a constant smoker or EF but did go through a couple of tins per year for quite a while. Maybe it's just me and I'm losing my taste for this blend but it sure doesn't taste as good as it used to. Erinmore always struck me before as a rich smoke but it just seems kind of thin or lean these days. It leaves me wanting something more after smoking a bowl. It's still a OK smoke but I don't know that I'll be buying anymore.

Tuckers Gpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tuckers Gpa (29)

I finally ordered some Erinmore, and I really like the taste and the smoke itself. Whether it was my tastebuds or my sense of taste. Out of the tin, it was a bit moist. However, this problem was a none issue. I first folded a flake and totally enjoyed the experience. Next bowl, I rubbed out a coupla flakes and began to understand what other reviewers have noted. The pure taste, the cool smoke, and the lack of bite made this a more than pleasurable experience. This has opened a new and welcome venue for me to enjoy. I didnt notice the casing so much, as I enjoyed the more pure tobacco taste. All in all, a moment I plan on enjoying many more time...

wekers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wekers (14)
Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

The smell on air it's wonderful but is hold a lot on tongue, it seems that it will bend your tongue. Can't smoke more.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)

I received this as a gift along with a selection of others recently. I really like it. It wasn't too strong for my tastes. It was a little finicky at first and had to pace my smoke to start, but about 15 minutes in it mellows out and becomes quite good, some flavour, smelled good. I didn't find the casing overpowering and actually found it pretty mild. I'd definitely recommend this tobacco. It's pretty subjective, but all I can say is I liked it and is definitely smokable.

Psinik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psinik (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all i'm pretty new at pipe smoking. so don't take my opinion to seriously.

That beeing said, loved the flake cut (first time i've tried it) and the pretty cool and dry way it burns. Plus, it's really nice to have the chance of rubbing the tobacco accordingly to how slow you want to smoke it.

didn't like the toping that much, wich constantly reminds me of pineapple jellow and kind of gets over the taste.

Can't really say i've disliked it overall but it's not a blend i intend to keep in a rotation. i'm prety sure i'll find something more like dryed plums, grapes or nutty fruits flavour if i ever feel like smoke something more aromatic. i would apreciate any suggestions on that.

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I quite like this flake. I wasn't so sure when I smelled the freshly opened tin. I had mixed feelings about the fruityness. I didn't get the fruity smell in the smoke. There is a good strong tobacco taste that greatly out weighs the flavouring, especially if you let it dry a bit before loading your pipe.

I would call this a semi-aromatic. I am not an aro smoker but Erinmore and then 1792 are my favourite flakes with SGs' Best Brown flake being third.

Class is in the tobacco not in the ratings. I'm just finishing my first tin,I will be getting more of of this one.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess there is something to be said for a blend that has been reviewed as many times as Erinmore has as this marks the 200th review. Upon opening the tin, I hated, yes hated the tin scent as it reminded me of a medication that I took as a child with a bouquet of fake smelling berries. The good news is that the strong tin scent doesn't fully carry over to the smoke. I have smoked these neat little flakes folded and rubbed out and I enjoy it best rubbed out. Erinmore is a nice Burley/Virginia flake with a pleasant berry/fruit taste in the background. Although not comparable blends, I would put the amount of berry scent in the same realm as Dunhill's old Three Year Matured in terms of the amount of the casing. I did notice that letting the flakes air out in the unsealed tin for a couple of months, the scent dissipates quite a bit. It rubs out with ease and smokes cleanly leaving a nice grey ash. It also has a nice amount of Lady N which is something I enjoy in flake tobacco. Erinmore seems to be a love/hate blend for many and I find myself in the love camp for a tin or two, but unless I can find a well aged tin, I won't purchase it again as I enjoy other flakes far more. Recommended

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Licorice notes while rubbing. Blackwoods Flake leaves this in the dust!! Feh...

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is more like the old Erinmore Mixture than the current Erinmore Mixture. I enjoyed this: nice white puffs of smoke and a pleasant fruity taste. Erinmore was one of the first I tried in the days when you could clip a coupon from a newspaper and get a small, free sample pack. One I'll always return to now and then.

Bucky19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bucky19 (13)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

i loved this tin when i first got. i opened the tin and smoked ten flakes by myself in one night and me and a buddy were tripping out at how great it was. then it kind of lost its luster when i got another tin any way it has a good fruity tin aroma and smokes good with a real mild flavor tobacco its decently good and you cant beat the flake cut smokes like a champ

Recovery7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Recovery7 (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Presentation: Compact rectangular tin, contents are smallish flakes of slightly mottled appearance, varying in color from dark brown to golden.

Tin Aroma: Rich Virginia and Burley and whatever the Erinmore topping is...to my nose it is a welcome, slightly fruity scent but I can't discern any specifics.

Smoke: I let my tobaccos dry before loading them into the pipe of the day. I find these have dried sufficiently in about half an hour and then I rub them completely out, a very easy process with this tobacco. It must depend on how I hold my nose or something equally as silly as to how it takes the light - it can get going from the char or it takes bit of touching up. Once lit though it readily stays lit and burns slow. This is a medium to medium full smoke and I enjoy the aroma as it burns. The flavor is mildly sweet and nutty, showing the best of the components. It can and will bite if smoked too quickly. I've long been an English/VaPer fan but this has become the tobacco I reach for almost daily.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

50g rectangle tin(a nice useful tin to keep afterwards actually)

Ok i have had a few tins of this and recently discovered a missing kilner jar with some in which i have been missing but wasn't sure if i had already smoked it.(nice discovery)

Tin appearance of well prepared uniform dark bark brown flakes,cool and moist but smokable strait out of the tin.

Tin aroma is more earthy and fruitless compared to the softer erinmore mixture;the light topping of aniseed and liquorice had long dissipated by the time i got round to rediscovering this baccy,,i must of had it jarred about 3 month,but the smoking properties where not much different than strait out of the tin.

Smoked in a 6" clay(my favourite tasting standard)folded rolled and stuffed,it takes flame easy and burns uniformly and cooly all the way down;nice slow burner,but i remember last winter that if i smoked it on a frosty night out side it seemed to burn fast(oxygen level in the cold perhaps?)

This is to a certain extent an 'over the counter' blend(i don't see it in supermarkets, but some newsagent/sandwich shops stock it in barnsley yorkshire)but as an OTC i rate it as highly as anything else that is harder to aquire.

Nice natural quality tobacco,plain but with taste and consistant. To describe taste;chalky clay earthy mineral soil,reminds me of the south coast(of england). Natural as porrage neither sweet nor salty. Less sweet than Erinmore Mixture,a white flavour,balanced midrange ,stable,comfortable,peaceful,quiet,deep,unfortified.

The taste is really simular to water buscuit crackers,slightly buttery at times(or maybe sunflower spread)Its a plain flavour like unsalted pure potato chips,cool on the tongue like yoghurt(it doesn't actually taste of yoghurt btw)

Easily an alldayer;no bite,no soap,easy on the tongue that satisfies in an isotonic way that doesn't leave me wanting more or less,,easy going really. Clean and low maintenance.

I wouldn't call this an aromatic blend ,its a slightly nuttier burley variant comparable to dunhill flake and not as topped as university flake;it has a taste of its own unique enough to occupy a permanent spot in my rotation thats for sure.

A natural but not heavy medium tobacco,not as sunny and smiley in taste as the mixture,more mature and bodied,if EM is the sun i can compare this to the Moon,,its more mystic and subtle and makes for me a comforting moonlight smoke actually with its quiet white flavour which reminded me of a time when i was in cubscouts;we made a flour and water dough and wrapped it around a stick and cooked it over a fire;it was no frills but somehow more tasty than a more cluttered meal(like a plain yorkshire pudding infact)...'Less is more'philosophy.

Complimentary food or drink;a bottle of cool white wheat bier and a yorkshire pud before or after(i don't eat whilst smoking)

I know i will be re-ordering a couple of more tins sometime soon .

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nicely prepared flake, but that is all I can say! Tobacco is strong and hot, very much like "Petersons University Flake " in strength and burn characteristics, but instead of a slight raspberry topping, it has a slight "lakeland floral" topping. I don't like LF. Comes in a great little tin that can be carried very easily.I'll keep the tin, and throw out the tobacco!

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (16)

I let a slice dry out than smoke it in a small bowl pipe.I have been smoking it this way for as long as I can remember.smoke it slow and get the full enjoyment out of it.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Nice fruity flake that should have an apricot on the front of the tin rather than a pineapple. Easy to enjoy after a bit of drying.

Mike0831 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike0831 (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I like this tobac. If smoked quickly and in a large bowl you would miss the train. I thought this was the drugstore tobac of yesterday; but it isn't......if you got the patience to discover it'. I smoked it in a medium size meershaum that belonged to my Dad. This is a complex tobac and is a good introduction to Virginal/ Burley.

WinstonTones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WinstonTones (3)

Upon opening the tin I instantly was surprised by its aniseed aroma. Something of a spiced fruit loaf soaked in Pernod/Ricard. The flakes were moist and fresh and although I smoked straight out of the box I recommend leaving to dry prior to smoking as I found it a little difficult to keep lit.

But, as most reviews state it is a love or hate flake. For me, its Love. It smells and tastes like nothing I've ever tried before. Some reviews say it tastes rather different to its smell in the tin. I have to disagree. Although the aromas are a little subdued on the palate the flavor is mild yet complex, bold yet unmistakably elegant.

A keeper.

GSTQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GSTQ (31)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Appearance is a dark brown flake. Tin smells sweet, a bit like candied orange peel. Tastes flat and cigarette-like.

Erinmore Flake is an uninteresting, cased, poor quality tobacco. I find no reason to recommend this for anyone.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Tin notes of sweet fruits and hay. I wish this didn't bite as bad as it does, or it would have earned one more star.

A bit difficult to pack and get lit. The more you try, the harder it bites. I have it in the cellar for the last year now, I'll update soon and hopefully add that 3rd star.

Update: After writing this review, I grabbed the tin out of the cellar. Nice moisture now, just the way I like my flakes. Packing and lighting was a dream, the rest of the experience was a nightmare. I didn't think this would get worse, but it did. Tenfold. It now tastes like cigarette ash, still burns, and tastes horrible. Downgraded to 1 star.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Erinmore Flake used to be pretty freely available in B&M shops, and wasn't regarded as all that classy. This hasn't been true for quite a while now - thanks, I assume, to the decline in pipe smoking. It still isn't a classy smoke, but, unlike so many old- time baccies, it doesn't seem to have suffered a significant decline in quality. I tried it first in the late 1970s, and it seems the same now as what I remember from back then. It still comes in a tin also, which is a plus point.

It's a strong and heavy flake with an attractive "plumcake" tin note. It'll give you a long and cool smoke if you don't drive it too hard, but it's a good idea to dry it a bit first: don't smoke it straight out of the tin, or you'll use a lot of matches and get a lot of heat and steam. Personally, I don't care all that much for the fruity flavouring (though its a far cry from Erinmore Mixture, which I positively dislike); but if you like heftily cased flakes, this'll suit you. It's what I think of as a "winter" smoke. I enjoy it very much when I'm in the mood, but the casing can cloy if you smoke it too often, I find.

Somewhat recommended, from a personal standpoint - but people who like aromatics and semi-aromatics will think more highly of it than I do. It isn't really an aromatic, but the casing is very perceptible, and not to everyone's taste.

designwise1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
designwise1 (5)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My first experience with Erinmore Flake: Has a vanilla taste to me. Smells great in the tin! Easy to rub out and keep lit. A bit of bite on the tongue but not too bad. Finally, an aromatic I can tolerate and even enjoy.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I break the tin seal and then let it sit for a month before I get around to it; let some of the moisture and topping dissipate. Sure, that sounds like a hassle, but as I go through pound of this stuff, it's not a bother and it's worth the time. I recommend trying this tobacco at least once a day!

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First off, I have to say IMHO, Erinmore is so absolutely unique, as to be an entity unto itself. I think a lot of people go into smoking Erinmore, looking to compare it to something familiar....it isn't. Thus the divide over...I love it/I hate it. This is one great smoke, and unlike any other flake, so comparison's can't be made. IMHO, it's a unique, great, smoke....like no other.

Zietho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zietho (4)

This is my favorite. I am no specialist, but it's fruity smell and relatively mild taste is a delight. I have problems with a sore throat with many varieties of tobacco, but never this one. Always moist, always fresh in the tin. When I can find it, I smoke it...

LANCER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LANCER (7)

Good virginia with a citrus note. First time I tried to fold it directly in the pipe but with no success: it just won't stay lit. So i tried rubbing it and that's the trick. Magic smoking. First half half quite good smoking, second half tends to become a bit harsh. I agree with Arash: nothing to do with Samuel Gawith flakes.

Alden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alden (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

A well-behaved tobacco straight from the tin; easy to rub out; easy to light, stays lit and requires little or no attention apart from the odd tamp. Good fruity flavour. I prefer to smoke this outside, while I'm taking the dog for a long walk (every evening!)

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Pretty good rubbed out, quite a strong taste, reasonably pleasant smoke. Hard to keep lit. Don't buy more.

Plus Twos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plus Twos (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I started smoking this tobacco in my late teens and thought it a little heavy - I rediscovererd this about 10 years ago just before it became unavailable in the Republic of Ireland and enjoyed it so much that i now import it from a tobacconist in Barcelona, Spain or buy a stock while on holidays - the customs officials often wonder why my wife ( a non-smoker) is carrying her allocation of tobacco products in the same pipe tobacco as I am! This is a real 'all day' smoke. While writing or fishing i have often smoked most of a 50g tin in a day. much better in tin than plastic pouch which occassionally appears.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

Either you love this flake, either you hate it. There are no in -betweens.

I love the citrus notes that transfer well in the taste when smoked as well as in the roomnote.

I love the nice dose of Vitamine N that comes with it.

A good, reliable tobacco that does not sacrifice the taste of the VAs and burleys.

A must try. Highly recommended.

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Quite a discovery. I bought it because I was curious, and because it's freely available. It comes in a nice, handy, rectangular tin, with the flakes neatly arranged like sardines inside. It smells quite nice and fruity (apricot) in the tin.

The tobacco rubs out very easily, which is good, because it has to be rubbed out thoroughly to ensure an even burn. Don't try to smoke this in a small bowl either, because it won't burn well.

This tobacco tastes quite sweet, but not as sweet as Erinmore Mixture. It is not too sweet though, and provides an apricotty (if that word exists) flavour. The aftertaste is as pleasant as the room note.

This blend offers a lot at a low price, and has earned itself a place in my regular daytime rotation. Recommended if you are after something sweet.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The newly opened tin aroma is very interesting, the fruity (jam), flowery (soapy) casing was there but it was much more subdued than expected, a sweet and intriguing fog that barely covers the aromas of the aged tobaccos used in this flake. Smells of cakes and jam cookies, roses growing next to haystacks, chocolate and bran muffins. Raisins in an empty “Paladin Black Cherry” can. No complaints so far. This stuff smells excellent.

Fruit flavors are lighter than I expected, and dissipated quickly. The floral casings remind me of Ennerdale Flake, but much more subdued. Nice Virginia blend underneath. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this tobacco. It's balanced, very subtly complex, really tasty. Burned cool, even rubbed out pretty fine. I'm not an Aromatic Blend guy, but I could literally smoke this all day long.

My humble opinion - 3 ½ Stars

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was expecting too much more from this.

Erinmore Flake is quite an inoffensive VaB cased with a fruity aroma, so mild that I couldn't even say it is natural or chemical.

Yes, it has meat and it's well behaved . Those half-shaped flakes are beautiful and easy to ply and stuff (two flakes a hour or more into a group 4 bowl). The bowl burns smooth his way, but nothing builds as I would expect, to the point that I would prefer some more flavouring… EF has nothing to do with FVF, or Capstan. Even the Golden Sliced has something more to offer.

It's just boring me, that't the the fact…

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have enjoyed this one recently. I think that if I had tried it a year ago, I would have hated it. For me this was a tobacco that I had to work up to, it required learning to smoke slowly and appreciate subtle flavors. I have recently enjoyed comparing it to Capstan Original Navy Cut as well. The two are similar with Capstan being the milder of the two. I love the small flakes on this one, they rub out nicely for a loose pack in a small pipe. The strong sweet sultry flavors for me are delightful, some may find this one too sweet, I've heard it referred to as the "Juicy Fruit" of tobaccos. I think it is a good tobacco to try once you've already learned to appreciate VA tobaccos and learned to smoke them slow with a nice smolder.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Va flakes a my favortie. This one is no exception. It a very nice naturaly furity flake of Vriginias and bruleys. Very nice fruity flavor that is natural not aritifcial. They come in very small flakes that are pretty moist. Easy to rub out and pack. Try it if you like Virginia flakes. I will be buying more to age

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (121)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

50g tin pre 2005. Fermented fruity smell off the tin, fragrant and intoxicating. The oily, dark brown flakes are nicely presented. Lightly rubbed, it burns well without drying needed. I would consider this tobacco, the Irish cousin of Royal Yacht from Dunhill. The floral essence is there but better applied. I get licorice, dry fruits(figs, raisins) for sure, Tonquin maybe? The essence is present with every puff. This is a light aromatic with a fuller Virginia tobacco taste and strength. You basically get the best of both worlds with this flake.

UPDATE After a few tries, I come to the conclusion that there is Tonquin in this mixture, the way my stomach and head react tells me so. A shame, those flakes are quality but I smoke the pipe for my leisure and relaxation and this flake produces neither. It is certainly recommended for those who enjoy this kind of mixture.

metalhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalhead (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

this flake reminds me of pallmall cigarettes from say 20 years ago. surly i taste the fruity/flowery note its quite nice, smokes cool and dry. although its a nice smoke it wil not be one of my favorites.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I ordered this tobacco do to reports of its strength. I like to have several choices of rather stout blends when social engagements won't allow for one's extended absence from the host. Royal Yacht is of this ilk- strong and assertive. I suspect Erinmore is fully cased and topped with such things as licorice, tonquin, cocoa and all or some of those elements from early days in the tobacco industry. Yes, even some fruit essence is there yet there is never a singular note I can identify. When I smoke Erinmore I continue to taste the casing and topping melange forever, unfortunately. Maybe if you suffered from advanced gum disease that could be an advantage, but not for me. I've been smoking pounds of Hal o' the Wynd and love it, and yet, it could be a little stronger. H.O.T.W never grows old on the tongue, whereas, Erinmore Flake's flavor is tiresome. If it had more nicotine it might be useful and bearable. By the way, the pineapple is the symbol of hospitality.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, folks...this one is hard for me to describe. I have no idea how to describe the tin note or what the flavoring might be. Never smelled anything like this. Smokes pretty good after a couple of relights. Vitamin N content is suitable. I wouldn't add this to my rotation but enjoyed the experience. The burn rate is outstanding and is easily maintained. Gets better as the smoke progresses but maintains that slight harshness. The flavoring, whatever it is, is rather enjoyable. I liked the strength of this blend. Not bad at all.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

last time I smoked Erinmore Flake was 5-6 years ago. I remember it being better than the mixture version.

Doctor Max Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Max (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Well this little flake is a difficult one to review. The smoking properties I feel are very dependent on how you smoke it. The tobacco comes in very nice small square oily looking very tighly packed, quite thick flakes, wrapped in white waxed paper. The tin probably was very pretty once upon a time, but the design is now ruined by the completely unnecessary "smoking kills" type messages that cover half the tin. The tin aroma is a lovely, very sweet, Virginia type hayey tobacco scent with more than a subtle note of... pineapple!

I first tried to smoke it with the fold and stuff method with two flakes stacked on top of each other (fold and stuff one, then fold and stuff another). I figure that if you have a flake, you might as well smoke it in that form, otherwise, what's the point? But that basically didn't work at all, the tobacco was very hard to get going and kept going out all the time. The flavour was very harsh, no detectable sweetness or taste at all for that matter. After a few attempts I gave up, re-read some reviews on here and saw that some people were recommending rubbing it out fully. What a difference. The smoke is now has a slightly sweet, citrusy, with a hint of pineapple taste, and is surprisingly spicy and full compared to the tin aroma. The room note is very close to the tin aroma however, and is quite appreciated by my companion (and I thoroughly enjoy it myself when I come back into the room after smoking it).

Conclusion: at first I was ready to dismiss this tobacco completely as a harsh, wet and unpleasant aromatic, but now I find myself liking it more and more. It is certainly close to entering my rotation. There is however a bit too big discrepancy between tin note and taste; I would like it to be a bit sweeter, then it would be a perfect 4 as far as I'm concerned. Now, personally, I have to deduct one star. Try it though, you might love it.

Update: deducting another star, the discrepancy between tin note and taste is just too big to make an interesting tobacco. I will finish the tin but I probably won't buy it again.

Micha12345 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Micha12345 (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Not much to say anymore about this Tobacco or maybe somebody had trouble with the Flavord department by this tobacco?

Well,the tobacco comes in flake form,very hard pressed. It makes it difficult to fold the flakes also you need a lot of matches.... not much flavor to detect... boring...

So! here it comes, i crumble the flake up like a Mixture looks like.For a medium Size bowl you need arround 1 1/2 flakes. And i fill my Pipe gentle full. Then i tamp the tobacco gentle a littlebit down so that i can put some fine rubbed tobacco on top.

Tobacco flavor is very well present from top to bottom. Dont tamp the tobacco to tight when you smoke it!

After you rubbed out the tobacco let him air dry for about 10-15 minutes!

He has a fruity(Citrusnotes) flavor,a littlebit sour too but not bitter. When you fill your Pipe to thight he get hot and bitter after five minutes.. Its a love or hate tobacco! I Love him.

Orlik changed the Tin disign a little bit. There is mow a Printed Handsignature from John Murray on it... Maybe they boost up also the flavor a little bit.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Erinmore Flake... Packed in a real nice reusable pocket size tin. When opened, the aroma is anise like, and with a bit of imagination pineapple. A single flake fills a medium bowl just right. You do your part and sure enough, most of those claimed flavors really ARE there. Nice. I found the tobaccos complexity is in proportion to my patience. This is where I say goodbye. A tin of this will last me a long time, as I much prefer the upfront taste of a "plain" (less topping) Burley/Virginia blend. Too much fuss and added flavorings for me, once in a while OK, but as a repeat smoke, no. For me 2.5 stars. For many, nirvana.

As a side note, you can smoke this stuff aggressively, and it still remains fairly well mannered, with a OK nic. kick.

snuffysmiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
snuffysmiff (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

More than 40 years ago now, I last tasted small, coloured, cubed confections called Jap Desserts. When I opened my 1st tin of Erinmore Flake I caught that same almost forgotten sweet smell of.... coconut! There is no doubt in my mind that the flavouring definately contains coconut. There's some hint of fruitiness as well, but the flavouring doesn't overwhelm the tobaccos. It's quite tasty, but for me, I'd rather have the unadulterated flavour of Golden Glow, or if I felt like a bit of extra flavour, I'd still stick to University Flake.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Definitely a unique tobacco taste. Just like S.G.'s 1792, but the other way.

Erinmore Flake taste fruity. Tropical flavors. Sometimes it feels like smoking an aromatic, but with the full tobacco strength and taste.

At first, when i read all the other reviews i did not believe that there would be any pineapple flavor.

Here's what i taste without any prejudices...

Pineapple, occasionally hints of coconut linger through.

Smoking this baccy reminds me of the movie-scene in "Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas", where johnny depp and benicio del toro are sitting outside at the Flamingo and drinking cocktails.

Just Tropical.

Hate it or love it!

I love it, once it has dried out a bit.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

PLEASE RESPECT

There is no pipe-smoker who respects himself and has not tried this tobacco at least once. Timeless Tobacco consistent taste and quality over the years, now produced by Orlik SA Of course, most smokers prefer FLAKE but I've only smoked Mixture. With its distinctive flavor (more like pineapple) you can either hate it or love it. To me, however, it leaves a horde taste in the end. Quite heavy and moist when opened, it needs to be dried overnight in order to smoke it easily in the morning and leave you a cool and pleasant feeling. A timeless tobacco which should be treated with respect.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I've spent the weekend smoking this one and I still can't really decide where it fits into my ideas about the different categories of tobacco.

It has the kind of strength and constitution that I associate with lakeland flakes, but the flavouring used is sufficiently different that it isn't really comparable. It is definitely more 'aromatic' than 'lakeland floral'. In fact, halfway through the first bowl I realised where I had tasted something like this before: Sunday's Fantasy by Radfords. That is a mild aromatic, chunky ribbon-cut blend with a strong (as in I can't get it out my pipe) top-flavour of apricot and vanilla. The dressing used on Erinmore Flake is very, very similar.

As others have pointed out, this one definitely seems to work best rubbed out and well-dried, which makes the top flavour less assertive. With that done I find it acceptable, but it isn't as smooth as a lot of scented flakes and I can't help thinking, "I would rather be smoking St Bruno."

My tentative conclusion is that if you like apricot flavoured aromatics and are looking for a flake with a similar taste and a higher vitamin N content then this is the one for you. For me, when the craving for a stout flake with some added flavour strikes (which is currently quite frequently) I will be sticking with my GH&Co florals and British OTC flakes.

I will probably finish the tin, but shan't purchase again. I can see this hitting the spot for some folks so it gets a 'recommended' rating, but it definitely won't be for everyone.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Didnt knock my socks off, but a satisfactory tobacco. Love the look of the tin and to presentation of the flakes and with the options to rub flakes out, crumble or stuff. nic level is good and has enough kick to keep you interested. burns well from start to finish with out leaving annoying goop. Easy to get hold of and the price is right (probably reflects the tobacco). I may have this tin for a while, so it may improve with age. I'll let you know.

denversixstring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
denversixstring (3)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was a tobacco that I enjoyed when I first started smoking. Murray and Sons made it then and at the time I thought it was the most peculiar stuff- almost like smoking a Jolly Rancher candy- the pineapple taste and aroma was so strong. I smoked this on and off for a while before moving on to other flavors.

Wandering into Edwards of Denver recently, I saw the tin up on the shelf and asked Tom for one. He smiled and said it was one of his favorites.

Upon getting the stuff home I was eager for that pineapple flavor. Opening the tin revealed a familiar smell, but with more licorice than I remembered it having. Rubbed it out, loaded it up into the kaywoodie prime grain I reserved for Erinmore, tasted licorice, a hint of pineapple and the flavor of good virginias.

Excuse me. Where is the pineapple? I got this because I wanted the pineapple. There is a pineapple on the tin. Right on top. And yes there is a smidgen of pineapple but I wanted Dole. Do you hear me? I wanted chunks my friends- juicy pineapple chunks coming out as smoke and I got...a parsimonious hint of pineapple, just tickling my tongue into thinking that the pineapple is there, but just barely.

The next time I spoke with Tom about this he indeed confirmed that the blend is far less drenched in pineapple than it once was. Sigh.

The good thing is that quite likely the quality of the tobacco is better than it was some time ago, but I have other options for good viginia without the licorice- not so fond of that.

I'll finish it surely, but I probably won't buy it again. It is a classic and when sipped very gently there is a bit of what I recalled about this famous blend. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Problematic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Problematic (8)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When i first opened the tin I thought, well this is pretty interesting. I'm aware that this flake has been around for awhile and is liked by many so I tried not to let the cheap perfume scent bother me much.

Packed a couple flakes, lit in and wow. Not a pleasurable experience. Imagine smoking a bowl of fine flake beside your better half while she fills her hair and the room full of some aussie mango hairspray or something. That's about as close as I can get. About mid bowl the perfume barely subsides. Enough that you can taste fine tobacco in there. Smokes great, no bite. I'd love to try this tobacco without the perfume. The bottom of the bowl got a little ashy for me.

I've smoked a couple pipe loads before reviewing this and with the same results. I haven't tried airing it out, so that's next. Maybe enough of the kick will air off to make this smokeable. I'd hate to waste a tin. But personally I just think I really don't like this tobacco at all. Why I torture myself I'll never know. 1 star for being tobacco.

PersianBaccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PersianBaccy (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't have anything to add, only giving this tobacco the 4 star it deserves.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I waited a while before reviewing Erinmore Flake as I found it a bit difficult to describe my experience with it. That said, I want to note that I highly recommend it with 5! stars and it is one of my top favorites. I had to patiently wait for it to be re-stocked as it was out from all of the tobacco vendors I frequent regularly.

When one opens a tin of Erinmore Flake, you are greeted with flakes that are not cut parallel to the long side of the tin, but perpendicular to it (in other words, cut along the short length of the tin). It is similar to the way Kingfisher is packaged. Where Kingfisher is a crumble cake, Erinmore is truly a flake - perhaps a tad thinner than, let us say, a Peterson flake. Even though a flake, it does not stay together well when extracting a flake from the tin. It has a tendency to split apart along its length and fall apart from there, but certainly not crumbly (letting the tin air dry a bit, the flakes holds up much better). Yes, it is very fresh, but not overly moist. It is most certainly smokeable right from a newly opened tin. The tin aroma after first opening is quite strong, but this vanishes within minutes. For most of us familiar with EF, this tin note has been hard to describe. For me, there was no pineapple or juicy fruit gum. There was a flowery (not Lakeland) fruitiness - not immediately bringing to my mind anything definable. With deep inhalation of the tin contents, it was then reminiscent of perhaps incense-laden lemon - and at times even orange comes to mind. With continued sniffing, I can see where some have detected notes of licorice and or anise. Whatever it may be, it is a shade above subtle. Upon opening the tin, I was afraid that the concentrated aroma I first detected would make its presence known while smoking. I am happy to say that it did and it was delightful!

Lighting was easily accomplished for so fresh a tobacco. There was no moisture from first puff to last. I find that one needs to smoke EF slowly, and not because of bite, as smoking it like a freight train didn't even heat up the bowl! One needs to smoke it slowly to appreciate the truly fine blend that it is. The Virginias are top notch and spicy-sweet. The taste I got was only reminiscent of the tin aroma but stayed in the background to allow the true tobacco flavor to be enjoyed. It reminded me of Stonehaven with regard to overall tobacco flavor and sweetness, but better. A beautifully restrained, lightly stoved Virginia with moderate body added by a Burley that was never bitter or sour. What ever it is cased/topped with, it was expertly added to enhance the overall flavor. The whiffs I got from the side stream were delicious and had a restrained sweetness to it, similar to my experience with Stonehaven. If I had to describe the flavor of EF - besides the presence of quality tobacco leaf - I would have to say licorice and lemon; and mild at that. Sometimes even a hint of vanilla. EF is the most "Stonehaven-like" blend I have ever encountered with regard to tobacco flavor being the dominant factor (Stonehaven is treacle-flavored, see my review). EF is one of the few tobaccos that after finishing my first bowl, I immediately want another. Much preferred by me over Stonehaven; and by the way, poles apart from Irish Flake (another favorite), but I can smoke either all day.

In my opinion, Erinmore Flake is for the experienced pipe smoker NOT because of any harshness, bite, dottle, moisture, etc. It is for the experienced pipe smoker who knows how to coax from a blend all that it has to offer in the way of pipe smoking satisfaction. And yes, it comes in one of the most elegantly designed tins I have ever encountered. All in all, one of the best out there! P.S. it leaves a nice Burley smell on the fingers after handling the leaf.

UPDATE 11-23-10: After many pipefulls of Erinmore Flake, I tend to agree with some reviewers stating the flavoring is apricot. Although I still get the nice lemon scent from the tin, if I think about it while smoking, yes, apricot does come to the forefront. Very delicious, indeed!

UPDATE 11-16-12: I recently purchased a full content 6 ounce tin on Ebay of the original Ernimore Flake produced by Murrays. Although the seal was not intake and the flakes were very, very dry, the smoking quality was superb! Initial tin aroma was of old tobacco (read musty) with no typical Erinmore flavor what so ever. I took a few flakes and broke them in half and crushed them into my pipe. Obviously there was no problem with lighting tobacco this dry but surprisingly it never smoked hot. At times there was the faintest hint that this was indeed Erinmore. There was also, from time to time, a soapiness to the flavor. The tobacco was extremely dark - almost black actually. The Virginias aged very nicely and provided a slight spiciness to the smoke which was quite enjoyable. In a blind taste test I would be hard pressed to say it reminded me of Ernimore Flake, but this aged content tasted great! I don't know how old this tin is since there is no date stamp anywhere to be found on the tin. It only cost me $6.99 plus shipping and I would have to say that I got a bargain here. Exceptional quality at a low price. This one I will stretch out for as long as I can.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Orlik has respected the Murray's original recipe. The only change is in the flakes themselves: they are now square flakes.

This is a love/hate mixture. I love it. Nice dark flakes, the tobacco taste always comes through and it is beautiful.

Daggers62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daggers62 (18)

If you like Erinore Mixture then you will love this. It is sweet and tasty and burns slow due to it being flake.

The small tin is great for your pocket and the the flakes are half the size of normal tinned flake so you will probably need two per bowl.

Review based on a new tin and not a cellared one.

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)

I got some of this on Dubinthedam's recommendation from his youtube videos, as I want to try out a few more flakes after enjoying Irish Flake.

On opening the tin there is a very fruity scent, citrusy and pineappley (yes that's right, and I didn't notice the picture of the pineapple on the tin until the next day, so it's not just that). The flakes are quite small, which I like because you've more options without needing to slice away at them.

I folded and stuffed, and it lit fairly easily and needed just one or two relights in all.

The scent from the tin carries over into the smoke in a fairly subtle way, which is as it should be, and you can taste the virginia. The flavour is a little hay-ish, a little fruity, a little cut grass-ish, a little bucks fizz-ish. Possibly some liquorice in there, I don't know. Anyway, who cares? This is good stuff whether you analyse it or not. Highly recommended!

NB I gave just three stars for now because I found it a little harsh, but others have said you need to leave it out a little whereas I smoked it right from the tin. So I'll try leaving it out next time, and perhaps another star could be added.

UPDATE 4th February 2011: Well seven months later, I finally got around to trying it again. It's still as moist and oily as it was the day I bought it, but not as harsh to smoke. I could hardly taste the topping this time; it felt like a straight Virginia. A solid three-star, I would say - very nice, but I probably won't buy it again. I might use the very handy tin again, though!

OldGrayBeard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OldGrayBeard (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my Desert Island Blend. If I could have no other tobacco (Heaven forbid!) I would puff away on a steady diet of this and still love pipe smoking.

There isn't much to add to what has already been said, but I don't mind talking a lot and saying little.

This is a medium strength FOR ME. I have smoked cigarettes for, well, more than three decades. And I've smoked a pipe for almost as long. Nicotine isn't a problem for me (Well, there was that one experience with SG's Brown rope, but that isn't actually tobacco, is it?).

The flavoring is fairly subtle to my tastes. And it doesn't taste like anything except Erinmore Flake. Forget Juicy Fruit, pineapple, or 90 weight gear oil. This taste is unique.

My wife used to rave about the room note. Then I overheard her and my daughter laughing about how bad it smells. But I've never had anyone say it to me.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely! Everyone should try at least a 50g tin of it. Then, if you have more discerning tastes than I, you haven't lost much.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Where to begin? It smells like candy. The flakes are comically small. In fact I just grab 2 every time I go to smoke some of this puzzler. There is all kinds of lore/speculation about the topping and the pineapple on the tin. Is it a full on aromatic? Is it a sort of hybrid like some people consider University Flake to be? Let's dive in!

The tin.....The tin design is delightfully dated. The colors and art work harken back to a slower, simpler time. The tiny pocket sized shape make me think it was MEANT to be carried about in the breast pocket of one's jacket. Forgive me if I delve to deep into speculation of the marketing here....easy transport, and bright colors mean you will be more likely to be seen in public with the product. Ever try to stuff a 100g tin of Mac Barren Plum Cake in your shirt pocket?

The size of the flakes....they are small. Cute in a way. You can stick your fingers in the tin, grab one, fold it over, stuff it, and do the same again if your pipe has room. All the while holding the pipe AND tin in the the other hand. Easy flake smoking on the go! I TOLD you I was going to speculate heavily about the marketing going on with this brand.

The SMELL: Love it or hate it, it is a unique aroma. People say pineapple, passion fruit, Juicy Fruit gum, cooked candy chews, and many other things are brought to mind. I have found something of a tropical melange of aromas when popping the tin. I first got hit with coconut. A sweet dry coconut nut unlike the aroma in a tin of Larson No 80. There is also a gooey sweet citrus note in the back, like ......PINEAPPLE. Possibly also mango. I also get a little hit of vanilla. The aroma seems like a dessert and tempts one to take a bite, which made me wonder if kids have ever gotten a hold of this stuff and ended up riding the puke train after finding out the hard way that it wasn't gum or candy. Yes, I am a wee bit evil as I chuckled at the hard lesson they would learn.

The taste: Golden Virginia. Smooth, toasty, nutty, cool burley. Nothing surprising, except for the quality. There are some damned fine tobaccos pressed together here, and they aren't afraid to tell you so. Not bitey, not bitter, not sticky sweet, but yummy in a well rounded way. The topping is something I was worried about. The aroma in the tin was so prominent, I felt sure it would be all over the smoke, and coat my mouth and sinuses like silicone gasket sealer. I was WRONG!(there is a first time for everything)Somehow, be it black magic, divine intervention, or just really knowing what they are doing, they got the topping/casing to work PARALLEL to the tobacco. That's right, it is in the room note just enough to be pleasing to your companion and passers by, you will occasionally catch it in the side stream or on the mustache, but it doesn't figure prominently in the overall flavor of the smoke. All in all, I think there are some similarities in the base blend between this and Uni Flake, but they are certainly not the same.....just similar. I think the Erinmore is brighter with more of a lemon VA tang than a stoved VA darkness. I shall digress! Marketing? Oh hell yes. A high quality, rich, decently complex VA based flake for the experienced smoker who also needs to keep the public around him happy? Hmmmmmm. I told you this stuff had some planning behind it.

The physical smoking experience: Easy, carefree, dry, with a solid dose of vitamin N. I didn't get bitten, gurgled, or felt a need to fuss with the contents of the bowl. You might need to relight on occasion, depending upon your smoking and packing styles, but I just puffed along without a problem. Amazingly, I failed to find any ghouls, demons, or ghosts in my bowl afterward.

All in all: A winner!...and a window into how one might chose a tobacco to keep with them all day. An attractive package which is easy to handle, containing a quality tobacco, posessing a pleasant room note, which deliver a non-fussy smoke all day. I told you they were smart when they came up with this stuff. It probably has something to do with it still being on the market to this day.

3.8 * out of 4 ENJOY!

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Too flowery, grassy for me. Sorry did not even like the smell opening the tin .Smoking I did not like the taste or flavor either. The tin is nice if you collect them!

The Air Pirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Air Pirate (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I don't usually smoke aromatics but occasionally I give them a go. This was not what I expected from an aromatic. I mean that in a bad way.

The flavor of the tobacco was very ashy and wasn't complimented by the (passion fruit?) casing. I wont go on extolling the negatives since most of my complaints have been noted by other reviewers.

It's certainly not a complicated flavor profile. This isn't necessarily a negative, but this is a one trick pony.

I tried the roll and go method and the fully rubbed method of preparation. Rubbing it out made for an easier smoking profile and even enhanced the flavors (which I didn't like but if you do then go for it).

Overall I can see why it is a love it or hate it blend. I am in the latter group.

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

To much of casing to me but for ARO lover's i will recommend this.

What is disappointing here , is that i didn't had the chance to enjoy the burley-VA combination because of the casing .

A love or hate it flake.

TheBavarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheBavarian (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

So far my favourite among the VA Flakes. If rubbed out and smoked slowly you will have no tongue bite at all. The taste and roomnote have hints remembering me of that typically vintage fruity fig or plumlike aroma combined with tobacco's spicyness I can recall from childhood days, when my grandfather had lit his pipe. Definitely a must try for all those who are looking for a tobacco that still has that old fashioned style to it.

Cody_2ZZ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cody_2ZZ (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I suppose I was expecting more from this tobacco, but it's a pretty uncomplicated blend. The tin aroma is great, with almost a berry-like accent. Upon lighting the bowl, the sweetness of the virginia really comes through, making for a really pleasant flavor. After about 15 minutes the sweetness became a little duller and the smoke came around to a spicier note. It wasn't necessarily an unpleasant progression, I felt like I wasn't done enjoying the sweetness. All in all a decent smoke. I'm a huge fan of the full English and this was the first aromatic I've smoked in quite some time and it was nice, but not nearly as enjoyable as a good Latakia blend. I would recommend this one to virginia lovers, but it's not one that's going to be a regular for me personally.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)

I love Virginia tobaccos and I love flakes, and this blend here is a very fine smoke to be enjoyed just about anytime, in my book.

The smell out of the tin for me, is nothing special. I have known many tobaccos that smell awesome, and taste horrible. Here, it's pretty much the opposite. While it doesn't smell like "dessert" as a few others have commented, it tastes excellent.

I don't rub out my flakes, I just roll them up and stuff them in. And this stuff burns so slowly and evenly that it's fantastic. What I really love about this tobacco is that the taste really, really progresses after about 10-15 minutes. It's pretty complex, I must say. Sweet, strong, cool and a little bit of spice. I love the smell you get out of this while smoking it, it's just a quality Virgina tobacco, nothing more, nothing less.

Always in my rotation.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A different sort than I'm used to. I agree to the "grassiness" other reviewers have noted but I also notice a soapiness - kinda like when you were a little kid and your mom added "Mr. Bubble" to the bath water and you used to eat the bubbles...? Okay, so I was a bit weird when I was kid... Not a bad smoke, though.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

When I was at school we used to be given cheap ball points to use when we had forgotten to bring our own pen. A regular game was to try to empty the pen by completely covering the surface of sheets of writing paper in ink. We used to say the ink smelled of pineapple but, infact, it didn't. What it did smell a bit like was a boiled sweet, which I believe is still bought by school children and those not over burdened with taste buds, know as 'pineapple cubes'. They did not taste of pineapple but of a chemical syrup.

The topping of Erinmore flake does not taste of pineapple but it does smell exactly like the ink from the ball point pens bought by my old high school. Whether or not other inks smell the same I'm afaid I cannot tell as I have not reached the requisite level of bordom to return to this pastime since I last attended a G.C.S.E. (General Certificate of Secondary Education, for those not familiar with England's school system) geography class.

The tin is usefully compact and good looking. With a little drying the small regular flakes take light well under the match and, whether rubbed out or folded, need very little work to produce clouds of scented smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl which will now be filled with a fairly dry, reasonably fine, ash.

The character of the smoke changes pleasantly and interestingly throughout the time it takes to reduce a pipeful to dust and, if treated with resect, will do so without biting and while delivering a manfully solid smack of nicotine.

If this sounds like your thing then I recomend you find a retailer which supplies this reasonably priced product and indulge yourself.

I'm sure the tobacco is of good quality and fine flavour but I just can't shake the inky connotations of the taste and smell. But maybe you had quills or an interesting geography teacher.

UPDATE...

I had another bowl of this the other day and as a result I'm taking away the second star.

The added flavour is just nasty...in a bad way.

AND AGAIN...

All right, I'm really bad at leaving my reviews alone. I'm seeking help for it... However, this is a brilliant tobacco which deserves better than one star. Almost everything about it is perfect, except for the flavouring. It's a personal thing, I guess, but I find it so off putting it's difficult for me to enjoy this flake's other attributes. Lots of people seem to have had a similar reaction to Ennerdale flake by Gawith, Hoggarth & Co., which I love. Go figure...

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A steddie Eddie that's been around for donkey's years. There is good reason for this, as it's a well behaved moderate smoke that burns well. Nice VA/BU blend.

IMO there wasn't that much of a strong citrus aroma about it at all, just a steady hint of a mild sweet fruit note. This could easily be an all day'er, and it comes in a neat little retro coloured tin.

Give it a whirl. EVERY pipesmoker should try Erinmore in at least one format during their pipesmoking careers/hobbies/whatever's..

Laters..

PoppinSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PoppinSmoke (3)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin aroma is mild straw, grass, hay. I was a bit concerned the first time I packed my pipe with it because it felt a little too moist but I have found that it burns well and doesn't need to be dried any. It is a sweet and cool smoke that is typical of virginias with no tongue bite. This one has a light floral taste to me in the first half of the bowl. There is a pleasant sourly acidic flavor on the finish, something like grapefruit maybe. My wife says the room note is of a plain but quality tobacco and tolerable. I would recommend this to try. I am not a big virginia smoker but would buy it again.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I love va tobaccos & and i love flake tobaccos.Erinmore is a must one has to try, who follows this preliminaries. I used to smoke EF back in my youth & and it gave me some bad experience with my system, that used to tell me very intensivly to stop smoking this stuff immediately otherwise I would be tilted. This said, it still is strong, so newbies keep your fingers off this tin. What I like about EF is the good amount of smoke I get out of the bowl without sucking my lips off. If you like this experience EF is perfect. The amount of perique is just okay for my taste. It makes the mixture more dense. I don´t rub any of the flakes, because i love them in a compact heap in my medium to large pipes, humidity is not a main problem with EF so I prefer to smoke it out of the tin without further preparation. My perfect time for smoking EF is after lunch, because it is easier to stand the rich amount of nicotine that is injected into your system. Experienced smoker must try this one, even one tin of it. It is a lovely combination, smells good, easy to smoke for flake lovers, this means a bit of work at the start.

juanocp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanocp (11)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Strong, like most virginias it´s very jealous on how you smoke it, very slow is the only way to go. Once you accomplish that it´s very rewarding, the nice casing comes to life at first light to which i find not to be overwhelming, after half bowl the casing goes away and your left only with delicious virginias (just remembering makes me run to fill mi bowl with it). The humidity on the flakes was almost perfect and are easy to rub out. Overall the tobacco is very good. Just bought a 100 gramer tin to cellar for about 1 year see what time does to it.

Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

Why haven't I reviewed this yet? I've smoked enough of it. This is a high quality Virginia flake, perfectly formed, with an enigmatic flavoring. I personally do not feel the flavoring exerts itself overmuch in the smoke or taints a pipe. I really want to try this in the plug, so if I ever get to London again... The taste behind that famous yet not completely identified topping (I tend to go with apricots over pineapple) is rich, full Virginia (with some burley, to be sure), and it is a manly smoke if you want it to be! I like to inhale it once in a while just to enjoy the head rush. 100g tins go for 10-11 dollars, so it is a good bargain. I don't smoke it on a regular basis, but I could. I always keep some around.

Edit 2-8-12 As others have noted, the blend has changed. Even as a four-year pipe smoker, I can tell. When I smoked the most of it, it was the tail-end of Murray's production, and now it's ok but a bit insipid.

I don't know what I expected this blend to be but it's not anything like I imagined. From the very fragrant room note emitting from the tiny, attractive tin, I thought this would be a soapy, perfumed blend and that most likely I would not like it. Was I surprised! This is a very fragrant, tasty, great smelling smoke. I took the flakes and set them out overnight near an air vent, and by morning they were perfect for smoking moisture wise. I half rolled them with some flaking off into a pipe and lit up. The flakes are long cut ribbon, all brown in color and the aroma in the room on first light was wonderful. The flavor is perfect, it is smooth and creamy with the flavoring wafting in and out but not overwhelming the tobacco taste which is sweet and nutty. It burns slow, won't be rushed at all. It won't let you push it hard, just burns at a steady pace and burns clean and dry. No tongue bite here at all. It burns all the way down to a dark grey ash with no dottle in the bottom of the bowl. This could easily be an all day smoke. It requires no looking after, just burns steady and requires no relights. I found no "N" kick at all, but it does seem to satisfy. One thing it does to me all through the smoke is make my mouth water. I find myself smoking this one bowl after another and am enjoying them very much. I highly recommend this blend. I is very good stuff and I will keep it around.

Captain Biggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Biggles (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

The bottom line: Smoking the Erinmore Flake straight out of the tin is not at all a good idea as it comes out fairly moist. It needs a bit of pre-preparation before smoking and them it is an excellent but strong smoke, with a strong full bodied taste and a pleasant room note.

The reviews here since 2001 indicate that the blend may have changed over the years or that there is a lot of batch variation. All in all, a good satisfying smoke even if you don't inhale much directly, or not at all.

I recently re-acqainted myself with pipe smoking after 40 years, and Erinmore Flake was one of the first pipes I tried recently. In my eagerness I took it straight out of the box and the result was totally unacceptable. My half pipe-full drew wet and sticky, with strong fruity-sweet flavor with a cigarette tobacco smoke overlay. The sharp tongue bite towards the end was likely due to the over-damp tobacco--I dumped it right quick!

Reading the reviews here led me to try this:

I took out the flakes and left them out in the late afternoon sun for about half an hour and then left them open on a paper napkin for an hour. I then experimented with two ways of smoking EF in my BBB pipe:

1. The first was to rub the flakes open and then charge the pipe. The result was an excellent strong smoke with a full mouth feel. The tobacco burnt well and evenly with a noticeable but not overpowering after-aroma. The room note was pleasant but some people found it a bit strong.

2. I had a second pipe at night, but this time folding the well-aired flakes without rubbing them open. It was even better this way. The burn was better as was the draw, with no tongue bite, but it had a peppery taste. I expect that airing and aging the tobacco will improve the EF experience.

Post-smoke the only negative I found was a strong cigarette after-taste and smell that lingered in the mouth for a while.

I would give Erinmore Flake overall an almost 3.5 stars, but as ½ stars are not ratable, I give this a very solid 3 star rating.

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)
Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

This blend taste is uniq...Tin is great, flakes are smilar,quality and standart...Yes taste and package are uniq...

When you open tin virginia smeels difrent...I cant explain actualy, its like tropical,fruit and sweet...Smokes like that too..It needs to dry...Actualy its not wet but like mix with olive oil...

Slow to burn, no bite to tounge but 2-3 bowl enough...You cant finish tin if you are smoke only this tobacco all day...Its monotone...

6 months for a 1 tin enough for me...

Prickley Disco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Prickley Disco (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first tried this I found it hard to light and made me salivate to much. But I let it sit a few days after opening and now I love it! It lights easy and has a great casing that does not overpower. I have made this my new "fishing tobacco" as it stays lit and smokes easy.

BrSpiritus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrSpiritus (18)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This and Firedance Flake are my 2 favourite aromatics right now. I really cannot add much more than what has alreay been said other than a dry out helps this one to burn properly. I once loaded my pipe with this in the fold and stuff method and then forgot about it. I came back 3 days later and thought it would be ruined but waste not want not so I smoked it anyway. While it was a tad on the dry side it was one of my top five bowls of tobacco I ever smoked. In the zone from the first puff with a perfect marriage of the citrus/jackfruit flavour and the Va tobacco base. This tobacco is one of the reasons pipe smokers live longer.

RxMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RxMan (17)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Excellent job Space Cowboy with the review, and I might add dead on. There is a reason this has been a staple for many for umpteen years, it's one of the best blends around. The tin note in itself, makes one think whether I should eat this stuff or smoke it, the latter being true of course. Wonderful note both tin and room wise, and an excellent taste in the bowl. Rub out gently, pack on the light side, and sip to your delight. One of the very few I have come to constantly enjoy on a regular basis over 40 years of pipe smoking. Now to fill a Peterson's rustic Mark Twain and enjoy.

SpaceCowboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpaceCowboy (8)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

I'm a rather inexperienced smoker, but i found this a step above the tobaccos i normally enjoy. I love that this tobacco has favor without being syrupy or too fruity, in fact one of its best qualities is that there is a noticable tobacco taste with a number of other subtle flavorings. I don't see the pineapple or any other tropical fruit, i would say it's a bit figgy. i also caught a hint of something nutty which i felt mixed perfectly with the earthy qualities of this tobacco. it has a mellow sweetness and is quite smooth for a nice relaxing smoke.

to note on the packaging, this is the first tinned tobacco i have ever purchased. it basically comes as a damp loaf of compressed flakes sliced thinly. i wasn't quite sura what to do with this stuff, so i broke apart a couple of these slices into thick ribons which packed adequately in my pipe. i smoked it directly out of the tin and it was slightly harder to keep lit than other blends i have tried, but it isnt frustrating. i am wondering what can make this an easier smoke.

overall i find it tasty, smooth yet not so overpowering that it masks the tobacco taste. i apologize if you feel like you wasted your time with my lengthy and inexperienced review but this is my new favorite.

Tin Meister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tin Meister (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

What a delicious surprise!

Erinmore Flake has become a favorite of mine. It has a richness and fullness that is quite unique.

The topping is very sweet in the tin and carries through nicely in the smoke. It's subtle nuances of citrus and sweetness which is quite hard to put a finger on. It does take a few relights, but it's definitely a very manageable smoke.

I'm now smoking this on a regular basis, it and SG Celtic Talisman have become my 2 favorite blends, both very different in nature and both very alluring in their own right. This is not an aromatic thoug the room note is very pleasant and subdued, a true Virginia with all of the sweetness that fine Virginia tobacco exudes.

The smoke is an intriguing one, with a sometimes nutty nuance mid bowl, returning to a sweet and satisfying wisp of goodness to the very end. These are my favorite flakes also in terms of cut. As much as I admire SG FVF, I do prefer the cut of Erinmore Flakes. Simply take out 1 or 2 pieces, fold and stuff, it's a thing of magic really.

I personally find the nicotine content to be low , very tolerable. I do not like a Nicotine punch, and find SG blends tend to be just on the verge of strength for my liking. This however is the perfect balance for me, no nicotine hit but definitely satisfying and a truly luxurious smoke.

I will be stockpiling this blend for sure as it seems to be harder to find. If you are a Virginia aficionado, or just enjoy a satisfying smoke with an alluring taste and sweetness, I urge you to try Erinmore Flakes, a hidden gem indeed.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a whole different animal to the Mixture, and thank goodness it is too!

Since Orlik were licenced to produce this following the ceasing of production at Murrays the size of the flakes has changed but I am not convinced that the recipe has...I think it's more that time has shaped our memories of Murrays production. In much the same way that Murrays production of Dunhill's classics and then subsequently Orlik taking on the licence; the recipe is the same and I very much doubt that many could tell the difference in a blind testing, assuming the ages of the tobacco were the same. Anyway enough of that...

This is a decent enough flake, with a sweet anise style topping, of a medium strength and little mouth burning heat if smoked slowly. As others have said, it improves if allowed to breathe a while before smoking; a good way is to fill a couple of pipes and leave them for a few hours or overnight. Does tend to ghost the bowl a bit as you might expect from the strength of the topping.

While I detest the Mixture, this is definitely worth trying. I wouldn't describe this, as others have done, as a Lakeland type flake...it's quite unique from them.

Oh and by the way...the Erinmore Plug has been discontinued sadly.

Worth 3 stars methinks.

Part Time Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Part Time Piper (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is lovely stuff, a rich, quality blend with lots of flavour, maybe too much sweet topping for some tobacco purists, but I like it. But then even if I had to fill a pipe the size of a saxophone I could still enjoy the flavour without finding it overpowering. Smells delicious in the tin and gives a very pleasing mellow taste and aroma when smoked. Satisfactory nicotine levels. Can leave your pipe a little moist in the bowl and stem, which is why you might like to rub out 2 or 3 flakes some time before you smoke them. Best not to rub out every last strand or leave it too long to dry out, lest too much of that distinctive Erinmore flavour should evaporate. A quality mellow smoke from N Ireland, though now made elewhere under licence from Murray & Sons. Maybe if there had been more Erinmore smokers in N Ireland, that fine country would have had a less troubled past and would have kept its Murray's factory.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good tobacco that I place between SC FVF & LP Union Square - worth a try & a solid 3 stars.

Griswold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Griswold (16)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A quality flake with an interesting topping that still allows the tobacco taste to come through. What goes into the casing sauce I do not know, but it is most certainly not pineapple. Why some people tend to make such a fuss about the 'Erinmore aroma' escapes me anyway.

Erinmore Flake is a staple tobacco for me and I'd recommend it highly to all lovers of Virginia tobacco who are not put off by the idea of a light topping.

Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Some say this is one of the best Virginias flakes ever. It may be. It may also be that Virginias --unlike Erinmore Mixture, which also has Cavendish and Burley--do not absorb artificial flavors with the same degree of intensity that Burleys do. The fact remains the Erinmore's sour-sweet-tropical fruit topping is here alright, very noticeable and, to my taste buds, totally unbearable.

Unlike Bear--whose review I celebrate--it's not that I find this tobacco overwhelming: in fact, I don't find it particularly strong. But the smell and the topping simply ruin it for me. Why on earth would such a quality Virginia be subjected to any sort of flavor other than the natural and elusive sweetness of the leaf itself, is beyond me.

If you love Virginia flakes AND don't mind a strong fruit flavor that WILL pervade your pipe for some time (perhaps not as long as the casing left by Erinmore Mixture, but still quite noticeable), then you might enjoy this.

blackbox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blackbox (3)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a truly interesting tobacco. For me, who smokes nearly every flake tobacco unbroken, it was a rather strange thing, as i detected to only be able to get real satisfaction out of it by completle rubbing it out before smoking. It has quite the right strength in taste and nicotine levels point of view. The only thing that grades it down to an occasional smoke for me is the intensity of casing. I'd really love to try the pure tobacco base of this. It's unquestionably a classic and something special for me. I strongly recommend trying it.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

It's delicious. EF isn't nearly as florid nor pungent as the Lakelands but it's just as rich. Wonderful stuff - there's a reason that EF has been around forever.

Samurai Barry Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Samurai Barry (6)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I reviewed this before, but it seems not to be on the site. Anyway, the first and only time I tried this was over 30 years ago. It was recommended to me by an Irish friend and was made in Ulster somewhere. Other reviewers mention fruity pleasant tastes, some even mentioning Juicy Fruit gum of all things! Absolutely no pineapple as that's part of the Erinmore logo and, as another reviewer states, was a symbol of hospitality in the 18th and 19th centuries. I recall none of this. I remember licorice...really strong licorice. So strong it stained my pipe and I almost threw it away. It took several WEEKS to eliminate that stain from that pipe by smoking other tobaccos. As this was a long time ago and I was a newbie at the time, perhaps things will be different for me now as I intend to try it again (due to the other reviews here) as soon as I can find a tin. At that time I'll update this review.

Update: I purchased a tin a few months ago and HAVE to edit this review. Erinmore is one of the best Virginia types I have smoked. I must have confused another blend in my mind with this as (a Peretti blend I believe) it does not overwhelm you with licorice, even though that appears to me to be the flavoring. It has a nice, sweet, barley candy note to it which brings me back to my youth at Christmas. Top notch. I give it 4 stars.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

3 stars for being the most interesting tobacco I have tried so far.. and yes interesting can be good.. maybe not all the time but for special occasions.. this is a distinctive casing - which succeeds because of the quality of the tobacco flake and the character of what I assume is virginia and maybe burley.. The casing, which so many reviewers are adamantly saying is not pineapple, is uniquely fruity and tea like.. Its like a green tea with tropical flavors.. and dare I say something pineapple like (even though it might be the picture influencing me).. The casing is there and it is very noticeable.. but it works (whereas so many casings do not work).. I like it call me crazy - many have..

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I orered a tin of this online because the tobacconist recommended Erinmore Flake to me and I have seen many positive feedbacks on this tobacco from various websites and forums.

When the tin arrived, I opened it and it smells good. I packed two flakes (maybe three?) to my Viprati 95' limited edition pipe. It lit so hard, burns so hard and easily goes out. It took me numerous re-lights to finish the bowl. The tast is good, very good tobacco, but the relight job is pain in the neck. It was my first flake and I did not know how to pack it properly. I tried rub it, fold it, airpoket method, but there is always something going wrong. I will definitely do some more practice. The tobacco is good, I ordered another 4 tins after the second bowl. It shall be my problem to pack it properly and enjoy it.

So far I vote 3 stars, will update to 4 stars when I find a good way to pack it.

---- Update on 09-01-18 ----

Now I norminate this a four-star flake. It's just great and I love it.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I've reviewed the mixture, I love the stuff, I just wanted to review here to say that the flake is just as nice as the mix, the flake being a little stronger and better for outdoors...I love both, but really, a classic aromatic, and there aren't that many classics out there in that genre. I have a pipe dedicated to this blend...it's a must.

firstsealord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firstsealord (22)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The manufacturer of this tobacco,as well as the cut of the flake are different than used to be.

The flake cut is now a square cut,similar to Astley's no 44, rather than the traditional cut. What a disrespect to traditions! The citrus -like aroma, that some associated with the pineapple displayed on the tin ( see the scolarly debates below on the question) seems replaced with something closer to anisette.

Despite the disrespect to traditions, I would say Orlik pulled its weight. I NEVER had the pleasure to smoke the original EF manufactured by Murray's & sons, but this tobacco is very enjoyable. I did not notice major differences with the Erinmore I used to smoke 15 years ago.

The tin I opened was 2 years old. Moisture content was optimum. I had to let the tin air out ( with the lid closed) for a week or so in my tobacco cellar ( Coleman cooler) before I would start smoking it.

The flakes are mostly dark brown and black with a very small quantity of blond leaf. The aroma is definitively anisette and natural tobacco.

Very good, hearthy tobacco. This stuff is good, tastes slightly like anisette and mostly like natural, aged VAs. It gets stronger past half way. Sometimes the taste will get a bit overwhelming, peppery like. But that, I understood, is the indication that the leaf is still a bit too moist. Past half bowl, it will mostly be only the natural tobacco taste. Smokes dry all the way down if the leaf is not too moist.

I must say, I like this tobacco. Recommended.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

well this blends is full flavored and heavy in strength side with virginia dominating the taste ,,not a cheerful tobacco when it comes to room note and i hardly can detect any fruity casing other than natural virginia sweetnes. packs well and takes fire perfectly if dried a bit or rubbed i always enjoy it in small bowls apparently pipes of small size complement the short flake cut this tobacco comes in. good full smoke for winter times,,i always find my self leaning toward black coffe or black tea when i smoke this blend to sooth its harshness and enhance the sweetness.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is definitely a quality Virginia flake. Its not quite as aromatic IMHO as some have noted, although I believe it would be appealing to smokers of both aromatic and non aromatic blends. To me, the flavoring can only be described as sweet & refreshing. I don't taste any licorice or anything like that which others have noted, just a refreshing sweetness that greatly enhances the natural sweetness of this Virginia flake.

Very important, if this flake is smoked straight out of the tin, it can be harsh and hot. You must leave it out to dry, and dry well. I found this out purely by accident when I left a few flakes out and forgot about them for about 3 to 4 days. What I ended up with was a dry yet pliable flake that rubbed out easily and was as smooth and delicious as could be. That accident shot Erinmore flake up from about 2 stars to 3+ stars.

Michigander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michigander (19)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Erinmore flake and Three Nuns were my first tobaccos I smoked when I started some 30 years ago. Although I have moved on to other more complex and interesting blends (most recently some of the McCranie's and McClelland's), I still have Erinmore Flake as an occassional smoke.

The tin note is very fruity and aromatic. I found over the years that the best approach to the flakes is rather than roll them in the palm, I pinch them between thumb and teo fingers and leave them in fairly course strands. This seems to burn the best.

I am also an occassional cigar smoker. To my taste, Erinmore is one of the most cigar-like flavors among pipe tobaccos. It reminds me of a nice Griffin or Davidoff. The casing does not seem to come through much as a flavor, every once in awhile a faint trace.

The room note is a very toned down version of the tin note. Not nearly as aromatic as the tin note would suggest. Tobacco and fruit.

=== Update ===

Although I am not as crazy about this as I once was, I do enjoy an occassional bowl. I recently came a cross half a dozen tins of the original Murray's from Northern Ireland and bought them for my cellar. If you prefer an uncased VA flake, I recommend the Davidoff Flake Medallions. Not a pure VA, but quite wonderful.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Some reviewers on here have commented on a anise/licorice flavoring present in their tobaccos, .I however, from my tin produced by Murray's have not.However the topping is a little unusual kind of fruity... but delicious! and doesn't try to showboat itself over the virginias and the tobacco has plenty of strength.This is a purely delicious smoke that you just can't find around every corner and has earned my appreciation for it's full and inviting flavor.Recommended for both aromatic and standard pipe smokers.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

When I first discovered Erinmore Flake, in the early seventies of the last century, I thought I had found my one and only pipe tobacco and would not look at any other. I bought twenty-five tins, and actually smoked eighteen of them on the trot. I found the aroma to be delicious, and the tobacco satisfying in a manly kind of way, that is to say strong but not brutal. The taste of virginia was really very good. It was also the first flake I smoked.

At the end of eighteen tins I found I needed variety, and with all the emotional trauma of giving up a first love, went on to discover other tobaccos - and latakia. The remaining tins I kept giving away and thought my supply was exhausted. Recently, in the course of shifting house I found the last of those tins, thirty-six years old. The sealing was intact. On opening the tin, the aroma was considerably muted, and the tobacco had turned very dark. The moisture level was somewhat lower than in fresh tins.

The taste was, if anything, even better than I remembered. I thoroughly enjoyed the tin. But it was a bit like meeting a former spouse: unexpectedly pleasant, but not temptation enough to go in for a second innings.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Strong

29/08/2007 My apologies fellow reviewers, I just dont understand why on earth I would disgrace my pipe with this when there are hundreds of blends on this planet to enjoy. This is as horrible and harsh as they get, Strength I welcome, but harshness I can live without. It burns the throat and nips the tongue and it has a horrible taste that I cant even begin to describe. Speaking of taste, THERE IS NO PINEAPPLE, JUST BECAUSE ITS ON THE TIN DOES NOT MEAN IT IS INSIDE IT, IS DUNHILL EMP CHICKEN FLAVOURED??? This blend does not invoke nostalgia in me and my review is my opinion, just hope I did not offend. Regards, Mo, South Africa

##Update## This has been forgotten in the back of my closet for a bit over a year now and i discovered it by chance tonight. Curiousity got the better of me and i loaded a medium sized bowl and set fire.

I must say, i have to upgrade this from one, to 2 stars. I will actually order more with my next order. I am very pleasantly surprised and look forward to finishing the tin.

The tobacco is just short of crispy which means that most of the topping has evaporated. What is left is a very tasty, medium to strong Virginia with a very slight topping. The taste of the topping is very faint and does remind of Juicy Fruit gum. I know this does not sound very attractive but i promise its not that bad.

Mo, South Africa

tomobedlam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomobedlam (13)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow, I don't get the rabid reactions to this stuff. I bought it strictly for the controversy's sake and found it just ok. I didn' t love it or hate it. It comes in a nice looking tin, smells like dessert, and is cut into some lovely looking flakes that I was tempted to eat. Which I did do, or at least chewed on one for awhile. Not bad! It tastes exactly like it smells. As far as its smoking characteristics, it has a pretty decent taste, others have remarked upon, I like particularly the puffy white smoke it produces, nice sidestream. The real gripe I have with this is that it seems to smoke very hot, especially towards the bottom of the pipe, where it became clogged, then freed itself sending burning hot pineapple cinders into my mouth and scorching my tongue. Aside from that, Its a decent once in awhile smoke.

Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Erinmore Flake is an excellent Virginia flake, the tin aroma is wonderful, the burning quality is perfect, the flavor and the tobacco taste is very rich, deep and delightful, the topping is fruity, original and unique; the casing is less sweet than the mixture version.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Very Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I tried this this simply because of the wild reviews and plus I found a place that sells the old Murray's tins. Simply put: this is a VA with a hefty casing of what I think is prune extract and licorice. It is not that sweet (especially when compared to some of the sugar-coated bulk aromatics out there). I do not see what all the fuss is about - this isn't THAT cased compared to so many blends out there. Plus the casings wear off pretty dramatically after the first third of the bowl.

I couldn't have this all that often though since the nicotine content is VERY hefty (though not quite overwhelming). Smoke this in a small bowl (cobs with filters worked great for me) if you do not like a big nico-hit like me.

The room note is not what I expect from a so-called aromatic - it kinda reminds me of cigarettes (eww!) - smoke this one outside. It is good though and has very unique taste. I bought some more of the Murray's tins to hoard for the future.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another blend that I tried due to the reviews found here. I am lucky to have such a resource. This seems to be one of the "love it - hate it" blends. I'm much closer to "love it". While E.F. is cased, I do not consider this an aromatic. I find that the flavouring only plays a supporting role. My first tin (but hopefully not the last) states that it is Murray Sons & Co.-made in Northern Ireland. I am going to try to buy all of this vintage that I can.

I am not sure what the "secret" recipe is, but I certainly hope that it was passed along to Orlik. After drying, I rub out these flakes, load, light, tamp, and ENJOY. The flavouring only compliments this high quality Va. tobacco. Strong, rich flavor. Excelant burn to the bottom of the bowl. I find that for a Virginia that there is no bight. I can find nothing not to like about this blend. If you are a Va. lover I think you will find Erinmore Flake to your likeing. I'm not sure this is the best blend I have ever fired up, but it is in my top 10. I give it

Graybeard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Graybeard (3)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I've been a piper more years than you'll ever get me to admit, but I've never come across another tobacco quite like Erinmore Flake. But just because it's odd, doesn't mean you won't like it. Look at me! But I digress. Point is, this is probably my desert island tobacco.

This tobacco comes in nicely sized (in the 100g tin), dark, moist flakes. Too moist, really, but since it has no PG or other artificial humicants, I prefer it this way. By the time I get to the last few flakes in the tin, it's actually a little on the dry side. So it all evens out without me having to go through a bunch of gyrations to get the moisture content right.

Come to think of it, maybe that's the reason this is my go-to tobacco. It's a no-brainer. Fold it and stuff it, or rub it out completely like I generally do. Shove it in the pipe, fire it up, and don't worry with it. It stays lit easily and doesn't bite when I forget and start puffing like a freight train. The "zone" for this tobacco is pretty wide.

I have a meerschaum with a HUGE bowl. That's the one I usually load up with Erinmore. It'll last me at least an hour and a half of pure enjoyment.

The only down side is the room note. My wife would MUCH prefer I smoked a vanilla/berry/whatever aromatic. But, at least I can smoke it in the house, unlike some English blends.

I heartily recommend you try this stuff. And don't listen to the horror stories first. Make up your own mind. As for me, there'll never be a tobacco order without a few yellow tins in it.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)

In my review of Erinmore Mixture I gave it two stars, saying that in reality it deserved one, but only for it´s tin aroma it was raised to two. The flake version is somewhat better. It really deserves the two stars.

The only thing this two blends leave me thinking is how can something that looks so good and smells so good can be so disappointing?

I have three tins left unopened (they were a gift). I will try to trade two and with the other one I will experiment in different combinations. I´m sure there must be a good use for this nice looking flake, as a condiment.

Bob in Beijing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bob in Beijing (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I picked up a tin of the Flakes sibling, the mixture and thought it was so so. Today I was able to pick up a tin of the flake and am enjoying the difference. The flake, while difficult to light, is worth your time. Moisture content upon opening the tin was perfect. The casing, while noticeable, tends to move to the background quickly, allowing the purer tobacco taste to come to the foreground. It burns fairly slow so a bowl will last a while. The ash was white. You could smoke it all day long as there was no bite.

This is the licensed product, not the Northern Ireland version.

One final note about the pineapple on the label. At one point, a pineapple was a symbol of hospitality. Perhaps that's why it's on the label.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I just HATE lighting this stuff up, I dread the initial burst of anise or whatever it is they put in this stuff, then it settles down, the beast is calm, quality virginia comes through, I've rubbed out a couple of flakes into a large briar while I drive to work, the drive will take the best part of an hour, the pipe will last about forty five minutes, not much tamping, both hands on the wheel keep speed below 90 m.p.h. (over 90 and big bits fall off, the car that is) thouroughly nice smoke now, arrive at work ten minutes after pipe has gone out, still feeling satisfied, smoke wise. Wish I could stay in car and relight another bowl, alas reality calls. Good quality tobacco, pleasant smoke, leaves me satisfied without feeling "full" and "heavy". Not one of my all time favourites. Worth giving a try and if you survive long enough to allow the virginia to come through, then you won't be too disappointed.

MrAbstracto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrAbstracto (2)

I cant really say anything that hasn't already been said except for this: I HATE the taste of liquorice/anise. I can tolerate very very few things with this flavor in them. When I opened the tin I could smell liquorice/anise and just KNEW i was going to hate this. Boy oh boy was I wrong. I love this stuff. the liquorice or anise or whatever it is melds perfectly with the other 'fruity' flavorings and with the quality VA leaf. One more thing: the people I smoked it around found the Room Note very pleasant.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

As others have stated, this is - as most Lakelands blends - a love-or-hate tobacco, and it's easy to know why: you can love it because it's top quality Virginia cased with a mild and very particular flavor, or you can hate it because it's top quality Virginia ruined by a strange casing. As for myself, I either love or hate it, depending on the day.

If you don't particularly enjoy the fuit-like flavor, rubbing out and airing is strongly adviced. It also helps on lightning and keeping lit, which is quite difficult when you just stuff the flakes in without any drying.

I'm bound to hit the zone when I smoke this outdoors and when I'm in the right mood, which is usually about once a week. When I fail to measure my mood, I often end up wondering how the heck could I ever enjoyed this baccy. The same happens to me with Dunhill Light Flake, Royal Yatch, and a few others.

Love or hate, but quality is undeniable.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a nice flake! Its taste complexity reminds me of Peterson University Flake but this one is milder in taste and strength! I believe it can satisfy both aromatic and non-aromatic followers! It has a very discreet floral aroma that makes it a good choice for an everyday smoke!

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

No doubt a quality virginia flake with a subtle topping. I prefer all virginia flakes dry, so this was treated in the same manner. Tasty flavouring adds a subtlely enhanced sweetness to the blend which even the sweetest of natural virginias cannot achieve. I can't say it was juicy fruit or pineapple or whatever the debates may suggest. I would characterize the topping as a gently sweet herbal note. To the smoker it is delightful once you hit the zone, with hints of baked goods and sweetened oatmeal-- perhaps my tastebuds are confused by this unique tobacco. It carries with it a lightly sweet room aroma, which is great because I can smoke it amongst company. I do recommend this, but strongly suggest one dry it out to avoid being mislead in the assessment.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

I had been wanting to try this for some time, and finally bought a tin. I noticed that Lane Limited was the distributor for this batch, however the edge of the can says, Made in Northern Ireland by Murry and Sons. Belfast. I don't know the difference between The Orlic version vs the Murray version, but I really like this Erinmore Flake. It burns well, with a subtle taste I can't define. I did not detect any tongue bite, but I don't draw heavily when I smoke my pipes. The tin aroma is hard to describe as well. The room note is pleasant, and my overall opinion of this Flake Tobacco, is that I would definitely purchase this one again. As for the Orlic difference, I'll have to wait, till I actually get a-hold of the Orlic version, in order to give my opinion...

Mick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mick (10)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I've only just tried this tobacco, so my opinion might need to be updated later on. I found this to be a strong tobacco that can catch you unawares if you take too big a draw on the pipe. The smoke is too heavy for my taste and being a lover of aromatic tobacco I found it lacked any worthwhile taste, though it had a nice 'mouth feel'. It burns well and I didn't suffer any real tongue bite given I tend to draw heavily on a pipe, a hang over from cigarette smoking. I imagine it could bite quite savagely all the same. I may need to modify my smoking methods for this one to be truly enjoyable. I just about gave my self emphisema with just one bowl. Only 1 star from me for now, I may rate it higher down the track, but we'll have to wait and see.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Strong

I had my first few tins of this in 2004, and I don't know who the blending house was. I was really amazed at this tobacco- the taste was indeed just like Juicy Fruit gum, and all the next day I could still smell/taste it when I exhaled out my nose. I bought a couple more tins in 2007, and they now seem to taste more of licorice, as already noted in other reviews. Well, the underlying Virginia's are very good, and it smokes cool and tasty, I just miss the Juicy Fruit blast. I will still lay in a supply of tins, and smoke this when I crave something off the wall. This is a very high quality blend, nice nicotine level, and the taste is indeed subject for strong opinions. Every pipester should try this, in a cob until you decide if you like it. I am devoting a new, thick walled Pot to this blend only, and look forward to finding out what a thick cake of this blend does for the smoke. I can see why some pipesters would smoke this blend exclusively back when it tasted like Juicy Fruit.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Erinmore Flake is something of a legend in the tobacco industry, and a love/hate type of tobacco. There are no middle ground for this one...

I do not find major differences since Orlik took on the manufacturing, besides the new shape of the flakes and maybe, I reckon, a new fragrance in the casing. But the overall aspect and result remain unaltered.

EF is a very high quality aromatic flake! Inside a very conservative and delightful looking tin, the small rectangular flakes are wrapped in wax paper: the presentation could not be any better...and one is greeted by a licorice/anisette type of casing which is very pleasant. It seemed to be more of a citrus note in the past.

The flakes vary in colour from dark to golden brown, in approximately even proportions.

Lighting is rather easy, and the casing will be present with the virginia taste, but not overly so. Actually, from time to time,the flake has more of a natural tobacco taste than the cased one. The room note is very nice for the non smokers. It will get a little bit stronger past mid-bowl.

I find EF to be an inspiring tobacco. Recommended.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A full bodied Flake with a good aroma of pineapples. not for the novice

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Info update 27 Sep 09

By the way, Orlik is NOT the current manufacturer of Erinmore flake. It's Peter Stokkebye. Check it out on their website.

Update - 23 OCT 07

Hum, that's weird! Bought the flake recently, the flakes are now 2" X 1" instead of the 4" by 2" that it used to be; the bakkie now smells licorice/anisette instead of the citrussy pineapple aroma that my tobacconist said it was...And now, I just saw that Orlik blends it, not Murray & Sons anymore...

Wow, what's going on? I think Orlik bought Dunhill also...and every time, the recipes are changed...

The bakkie is still good, but not as much as when Murray did it...

13 JUL 07

Yes, the famous Erinmore recipe! Did you guys notice the pinneapple on the tin? Yes, my good men, it is there because Erinmore tobaccos are cased with that specific fruit aroma!!!!Don't get mislead by berries or whatever, it's pinneapple: this is unique in the pipe tobacco world, that is why either you love or hate that tobacco; usually those who like either the flake and/or the mixture get to a point where they do not smoke anything else...they're hooked on pinneapple!

Anyway, I personnally enjoy the flake very much, but I don't really get aroused by the mixture, I find it too mild. What I like about the flake is that it is from a range of light brown to dark brown with shades of black and from my experience, despite the fact that it does smell kind of fruity, but it varies from one tin to another, the taste is not that fruity but rather hearthy, full and it actually tastes like tobacco.

I recommend the flake to be fullly rubbed prior to packing to facilitate a regular smoking and avoid freqent relightings, and do not pack it too tight or the casing will interfere with a successful smoking.

The smoke does get stronger as you go through, but nothing dramatic. The finale is nice and usually smokes dry. And the room aroma is terrific, everybody's happy. My wife - the final judge at what is what in terms sceal of approvals- always smiles when she finds out I bought some Erinmore flake; it actually became among my favorites with Presbytarian and McClellland Oriental no. 14. I can't wait to start my new Blatter pipe with this tobacco!

So, guys, you may read as many reviews as you want about this tobacco, but you will never make up your mind unless you try this tobacco: and you must and shall, because this is a classic tobacco that every pipe smoker that respects himself must be able to say that he tried at least once. But you will either love it, or hate it, but you must smoke at least three pipefulls before you figure it out. personnally, I love the look of the tin: simple, no pretense, just unique.

Update June 2007

Hmmm... I suspect that this flake also contains some Périque into it, because there is also a peppery taste under the fruity taste that is rather constant and blossoms when I pass the mid-bowl.

What I forgot to say, also, is that from one tin to another, the pineapple smell will vary, sometimes dominant, sometimes more subtle, allowing a predominant VA/bakkie smell. But still an excellent tobacco. Highly recommended!

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very tasty aromatic flake. I feared I would not like it at all,but found it to be an enjoyable smoke. Not something I would smoke all of the time, but on occasion it should be a pleasant change of pace smoke. I found the aroma to be that of pineapple more than anything else.There is the potential for tongue bite, which brings the rating down from 4 stars to 3.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Medium Tolerable

I felt betrayed by the 'professors' review (priss.pipes.org/ the Professors Pipe Page And Tobacco Bar). He had never led me astray before.... This is a stout licorace laden smoke with an intense cherryish gum like flavoring. I do not like licorace and for me it was like chewing black licorace, while chewing jucy fruit and smoking a ciggarette all at once.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I was not sure what to expect when I purchased my first tin of Erinmore Flake. I have never seen such strange reviews on a tobacco as I have on this one.

The tin aroma for this flake is amazing. Quite simply, if you were blindfolded and asked to identify what you were smelling, you would probably identify ripe pineapple.

Flakes are cut into squares and packed sizeways in the tin. They appear uniform and black. The cut of this tobacco allows it to be packed well into a pipe without being rubbed out at all. This seems to tame the strength a little, and magnify the flavour. That being said, this tobacco rubbed out and packed very well-if that is your preference.

This flake turned out to be a nice Virginia based smoke. Tongue bite was quite a bit more pronounced than Dunhill's Light Flake but slow smoking mitigated this, so I would not let that disuade you from giving Erinmore a try. The casing added a light note of juicy fruit gum, which was not unpleasent or overwhelming.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

When in the mood to put something weird and legal in my pipe, I often pick this. It's an unusual flavor. But I can tell you, as one who can consume an entire pineapple at a sitting, even though it shreds my throat, this is not a pineapple flavored tobacco. I'm bent more towards the Juicy-fruit theory, but have my doubt's on that one, too. Whatever the flavor is, you'll really notice it when you open the tin. (Much more than taste it when smoking). I have put Kendal Flake in an empty Erinmore tin, and after a week, it still smells like Erinmore (but tastes like Kendal).

There's a good load of nicotine in there (yeehooooo!) and lots of tobacco flavor. I'd guess it's more than just Virginia, but, as to what specifically....beats me. I don't care. This is a good flake. I'd love to try the Murray's version, but this one is fine by me. Erinmore can get nasty toward the bottom of the bowl; therefore, 3 stars.

ROMMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROMMER (17)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If a authentic hippy from the 60s had come up with this I would have been neither amazed or suprised. I am amazed and suprised however at the fact that this smoke has been around for a long long time but tastes and smokes like something space age. Have we found the first true psycadelic pipe tobacco.

Come with me for a moment to a far away island. Take my hand and follow me to jamacia or the windward isles where the bannans grow. We each have a pipe but sadly no tobacco. As the days go by and the heat blisters our skin we need a smoke more and more. Finally in desperation you decide to use the last of your strength to climb a pine apple tree. As you reach the top you are sad to find only burnt pine apple skins. You are about to climb back down when a idea breaks through youre weary mind. Looking down from that great height you see me peering up at you with expectation and a frothing mouth ready for a smoke. "Here you are, catch this." you call as you toss the sunburned pineapple skins down to me. You carefully make youre way back down the tree.

Eagerly we find our pipes from within our back packs and fill the bowl with the dark, burned pineapple skins. With our last few matches we light up and inhale. Pure pineapple fills our mouths. Hot humid pine apple with a taste of tropical fruits surely a tatse unlike any we could have expected from our pipe. The sea crashed around us and the sun shines down in fury on our heads but we do not care. The pineapple oh the pineapple. Strong and blissfully sweet. It even coats the inside of our mouths. Pure bliss.

I put the pipe down in the ashtray and flick the telly over. When I smoke Erinmore flask I am used to such blissfull hallucinations....Are you?... IF YOU ARE NOT USED TO THESE HALLUCINATION AND WANT A THROAT LEFT IN THE MORNING THEN AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAUGE...YUK..

P.S Ive given my tin to my grandad he seems well chuffed ;)

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not that this one needs any more reviews but here goes:

Erinmore Flake is one of a kind. A fine quality tobacco with a unique casing. My guess is that black licorice is at least a part of the secret recipe. I enjoy its unique flavor and aroma.

Not a regular smoke for me but one that I buy from time to time when in the mood for something different.

Everyone should try this at least once.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Odd weed, this. It looks like a plain Virginia flake, dark enough to be approaching Bruno in richness, but then you sniff it, and realise that you are somewhat mistaken. It smells of some casing that I can't identify, but comments about the aroma lead me to suspect it is something like they used to flavour old fasioned cough syrup. Tastes atificial, in a rather old fasioned way, sort of...

I was quite wary of it at first, after reading the reviews, but had to try it, so I bought a very old tin that must have been hanging around in my tobacconists for a few years. It smokes slow, with a rather nice background taste of decent quality virginia, and the taste of the casing hanging over it like a smokescreen. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but it sparked my curiosity, and I soon finished the tin.

I'm still not sure, but I certainly didn't dislike it, so I may get another tin. It was certainly a good smoke out of doors on a grey northern day, it didnt get hot or bite, so I suppose it has its uses. Try it, you might enjoy it.

-----------------Update-----------------------------------------

I just got a new tin of this, filled up a pipe and set fire to it, and a huge grin soon appeared on my face, it being that good. Its delicious! I have decided that it is really good tobacco. The newer tin had an even stronger smell, and the flavour of the casings was sweeter, fresher, not so far mixed in with the tobacco flavours as the older tin I tried first. But still excellent!

Its possibly the first aromatic Ive found that actually tastes as it smells, I really get The Taste, and find it most enjoyable. So many sticky cavendish aromatics reek of cherries, vanilla etc, but hardly taste of them. They just make strangers smile at you. Danish aromatics are mild and pleasant, Dutch varieties have a little more flavour. American ones are sticky confectionary with little taste. There seems to be a trend toward deriding the English aromatics. My only experience of these is Dunhills Black, which I really enjoyed. This is the Irish aromatic. It doesnt taste so refined, so elegant as dunhills black, its a very different experience. It tastes as it smells, tastes strong, and never bites. It must be good!

----------------UPDATE #2----------------------------------------

Having smoked a number of new tins, and found a stash of tins at least 10 years old, blended in Ireland by Murrays, I've come to a few more conclusions about this excellent tobacco. The topping is strong, and in newer tins it will be dominant, giving you THE TASTE as you smoke it, which is very enjoyable. Older tins, however, have become more subdued- the essence has mellowed, while the flavour of the (top quality) Virginia leaf has become fuller. The old tins are even less likely to bite, have a richer "tobacco" flavour, and the flavour plays a supporting role, complementing the leaf perfectly. In newer tins, the aroma is fruitier, but the older it gets, the more the aniseed part of the essence dominates- I presume that it is simply more stable over time than the fruity part of the essence. Older tins rub out more easily- maybe due to age, maybe due to the leaf used at the time. Newer flakes seem more rubbery, and while burning properties are good, the aged leaf takes a light with ease, and burns as easily, evenly and slowly as any I have smoked.

Basically, if you find any old tins, blended by Murrays, get them. They look built to last, and I have no doubts that they will continue to improve for many years to come, but becoming a less "flavoured" experience the longer they are kept. However, it is also well worth getting a new tin, and enjoying Erinmore in all its brash, unashamed glory, at least once. Every pipesmoker should try this legendary weed.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

A big change from what it was to what it is now. EF was bold, assertive, strong flavored. The smoke was full bodied and tingled my nos. The pipes used to be ghosted pretty bad.

Now it's not the same, chuck it to different blender and all. Strength isn't there, the casing is hard to taste, and what made it unique is gone. Now it is just another Va. flake.

This new incarnation isn't bad, but it really isn't Erinmore Flake.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I recently recieved a very well aged 50 gram tin of this from JR Cigar. I was surprised to find a Lane Limited import stamp on the bottom of the tin. I know this is not a popular blend, so maybe that is why it sat around so long. I love this stuff, and I LOVE the fruit casing, flavor, aroma and burning qualities. My partner says it smells pleasant enough, and smoked in a Group 3 sized bowl, this blend sings! A wonderful, medium strength, entirely relaxing smoke, IMHO. Highly Recommended without hesitation!

lisztman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lisztman (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Nice presentation -- Flakes cut crosswise and laid into the can. An English-type mixture (though produced in Belfast) -- for me, meaning a spicy tone to it that, unfortunately, I don't particularly care for. A lot softer, however, than, say, Nat Sherman 536. But I'm not sure why I ordered this -- had I fully read all the reviews I don't believe I would have. Nonetheless, a pleasant aroma. Fairly high nicotine content -- a soft inhale will give you that blast. Might be a good candidate for a reforming cigarette smoker because the smoke content won't blow him away. Soft smoke, disappears into the garage ceiling fairly quickly without leaving the Ford in a cloud. Very little bite. I've given it 3 stars out of 4 because although I don't particularly like this style, it's very well done.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoking this blend is a unique (for lack of a better word) experience. I wouldn't call this a horrible tobacco, but it isn't a favourite of mine either. The tobacco itself is top notch, but the flavourings which have been added to it make smoking it a bizarre experience. Again, I wouldn't call this a bad tobacco blend, but I think I'd rather spend my money on something that doesn't remind me of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum.

Update: 12/26/2006

After reading the above review almost 3 years after the fact, all I can say is "did I say that?" This tobacco is great! My only complaint is that, if it isnt' smoked slowly, it will bite your tongue really badly. Otherwise, it's very tasty, and quite strong.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (48)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Good ol Erinmore Flake. I have smoked this flake VA for many a year now. Though it is not my favorite VA I always find my self picking up a tin when I stocking up on my cellar favorites.

This flake can be rubbed out to fit most tastes. Fully rubbed the casing gives way rather quickly to a nice nicotine rich flavorful Virginia. Rubbed lightly or simply folded and packed this tabac yields a much more casing flavorful smoke. I have to admit I really do enjoy this tobacco from time to time. The room note always reminds me of my elders when I was a boy growing up in a much more tobacco liberal society.

This blend burns very well from the top to bottom of the bowl I recommend letting it dry out for at least an hour before smoking. It always leaves a very fine mottled grey ash at the bottom of the bowl and very little dottle if any. I think the pineapple casing is quite nice and adds a refreshing kick to the Virginia's.

Given all of this I can only rate this blend 3 out of 4 stars. I will probably always have some around. However I don't ever see having cravings for this taste like some of the other VA's I have smoked.

Camus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camus (15)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

My elderly father used to smoke this (he now smokes the Erinmore mixture and nothing else - you really can't teach old dogs new tricks...) so for a nostaligia trip I like to open a tin I have and take a sniff of the singular aroma. I've tried this folded, rubbed, wet, dry and standing on my head but I just can't get it to work for me. I get a headache and my mouth feels like I'm sucking on an old sack. I'll occaisionally light a bit in a ashtray to remind me of my father, but I won't be putting it in my pipe anymore.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Smoked Fruit

This is no longer Murray and Sons. I Think its made in Slovenia now.(Great....) This is a very unusual tobacco that will appeal only to some. It is cased and topped? yet has a strong Va type smoke as well. IF you love Hal O The Wind, Marlin Flake, and such. AND IF you love heavy aromatics like Mac Baren, Reiner, and Holger Danske- and want to smoke them all at once, THIS IS FOR YOU!!! PRISS.PIPES (The Professor Pipe Page describes it well as like Juicy Fruit) I say, it is an undecernable fruityness of a fruit not really in existance and then smoked over tobacco.

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (18)
Medium to Strong Strong Overwhelming Strong

I didn't like it. I don't like this specific aroma.

pipesmokingman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmokingman (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

Having finally smoked Erinmore for the first time I found it to be a very complex tobacco. Opening the pouch and rubbing out this tobacco you are struck by the strong floral note which comes through on lighting too. Do not be fooled. This is a strong tobacco with a kick like an angry mule. It will never be a regular tobacco for me but I will try it again. It is worth noting that Erinmore flake is a rather moist tobacco and benefits from allowing to dry somewaht before loading in your pipe.

tymons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tymons (5)

After smoking approximately 1/3 tin of Erinmore Flake, I conclude that it is good, but not outstanding. When smoking this tobacco, I experience no bitterness or harshness on my tongue, and the aroma is not bad. However, the aroma is not as enjoyable as other tobaccos that I have smoked. The flavor is not distinctive.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I was once contemplating a purchase of a tin of Erinmore Flake, and the tobacconist declared, "Run away, run away! You don't want that stuff." He then shook his head, shuddered, and did that brrrrghh sound. So I heeded his warning for the time being.

However, having read the reviews, and having talked with others about this particular flake, I came to a conclusion. Anything this reviled, yet this well loved has to be tried at least once. I don't care for aromatics, but do like some of the old timey style "fragrant" blends. And anything that is 'love it or hate it' is sure to be interesting at least.

Everything that everyone says about Erinmore is true; true if you like it, and true if you hate it. The flakes were nice chocolate color with bits of lighter tobacco mixed in. They looked a little like beef jerky. The aroma was very fruity, though not knock you on your butt overpowering. And, though strange, it wasn't altogether unpleasant. I wouldn't even hazard a guess at what the secret ingredients are, but there is definitely a fruit topping present.

Upon lighting, I found the taste quite unlike the tin aroma. The flavor of the topping was very mild, and what came through most was the taste of very high quality virginia tobacco. There is definitely a fruitiness that comes through on the palate, but it's not really a sweet flavor. It is indescribable, and very pleasant. It reminded me a lot of the old University Flake, another Murray Sons Ltd. blend (for Petersons). After smoking three bowls of this stuff I decided that I am very firmly in the 'like it' camp.

While smoking Erinmore Flake, I can lose myself reminicsing about untroubled childhood summers. I am transported back to potlucks and ice cream socials; the pleasant mustiness of a church basement opened up to the summer evening, filled with the aroma of strawberry/rubharb pie and peach cream cobbler. And if I listen close enough, I can just hear the faint clanging of the older men throwing horseshoes. Yeah, sounds crazy. But, the taste and aroma of this tobacco brings all that back to me for some reason.

This is something that wouldn't become my daily smoke, but I would like to have some around to smoke a couple times a week. Unfortunately, Murray Sons Ltd. is no longer in business. So, until someone else picks up the manufacture of this tasty flake we will have to make do with whatever can be scrounged up, while hoping that any future reincarnations of it will be as good. The relative scarcity of Erinmore Flake makes it all the more reason to savor it occasionally rather than smoke it daily.

Fatty Bolger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fatty Bolger (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Taking up the pipe after a considerable absence, this was the first tobacco I purchased. Just prior to quitting 15 years ago, Erinmore was a new found friend at that time in my transition from pouch-type aromatics (Borkum Riff) to Virginias. It seemed to be a good place to start back up. After the past years of smoking nothing but cigars, the sweet, fruity aroma and the stickiness of the tobacco inside made me wonder. Undaunted, I rubbed out a pipe-full (this was always my favorite task, rubbing out the tobacco to just the right texture, always made me feel like a real afficianado).

While not 100% what I remembered, the first pipe was pleasant and certainly reminded me of my old friend. It quickly made me remember my manners (sip, don't puff) as my tongue got as hot as the bowl as I puffed away. When finished I figured it was a reasonably pleasurable smoke. Good solid tobacco flavors, not too much of the topping but certainly was there. Enough nicotine to satisfy me as well as my Nicaraguan cigars (which I'm trying to quit). And my wife said the aroma was nice, which was a good thing for my renewed hobby.

Since then I've moved much more toward full English blends heavy with Latakia. A couple of subsequent pipes of EF have been less satisfying but not bad. It will definitely get a visit every once in a while. If you are a predominantly English blend smoker wanting an aromatic that is really different from time to time, Erinmore might be just the one.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (18)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Having just smoked a pipeful of Erinmore Flake, I can say that it is one of the most Beautiful smokes I have had. The delicious fruity casing is just sublime, with hints of cherries, berries, & IMHO, Peach & Apricot.The taste is warm yet refreshing & could, I feel, be smoked on a summer's day in the garden or by the fire on a chill winter's eve. I smoked the flakes folded & packed, topped with lightly rubbed out shreds, & from the first light, I was in love. The whole bowl required only 3 relights, which, for a bowl of such size is fair.I think that I shall always keep some around, & I am looking forward to trying some bowls of fully rubbed out for comparison. A pipesmoker of limited experience may find the casing a little on the heavy side, but after a while (about a quater of the way through) the fine tobacco bursts through the flavouring, & delivers a divine smoke of almost incomprable velvety smoothness. I detected no harshness whatsoever & as for tongue bite, it is left as a distant memory. As you may have guessed, I am a fan & recommend it to all. I am also looking forward to smoking other erinmore blends (even the much maligned ready-rubbed), & if any of them are half as good as this, then I will be a happy man.

---------------------NEXT DAY UPDATE----------------------

I have just smoked a pipeful of Erinmore Flake rubbed out before smoking. I think that, if anything, it was slightly better than folded flakes. The pipe required only 1 relight after char, & the casing was marginally more muted, allowing slightly more expression to the fine tobaccos. I stick with my hearty recommendation & stand by the belief that this is one of the finest smokes avaliable.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Erinmore Flake can be excellent but will turn into a dragon in your mouth if you provoke it. I love the tin aroma and the first light, and the room note is pleasing. The topping is a source of much debate it seems; despite the little pineapple icon I don?t detect any pineapple notes. I?m guessing pear extract; at times I detect pear notes along with the fine tobacco flavors. This may be a wild guess. It goes well with bourbon. Sometimes it?s a bit rough and woody, and I occasionally see what look like stem parts in the flakes; I wonder if there is a link between these two observations.

Yankulosky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yankulosky (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I began smoking Erinmore Flake regulary only after they stopped importing Dunhill Light Flake some time ago. Not that it's bad, but DLF is definitely a tobacco I cannot object to in any way.

Apart from EF, in New Zealand one can find only Orlik's Golden Sliced (red) and 'Pipeman' (the only local brand I am aware of) and no other Virginia tobacco whatsoever (and no other flakes, to that matter). The rest of the few remaining pipe tobaccos are Amphora, Borkum Riff and the odd Calume or Davidoff. The Golden Sliced (red) is a very boring, insipid flake, whereas the rest are heavily flavoured aromatics or latakia blends (in the Davidoff range), both of which put me off pipe smoking altogether.

Erinmore Flake is made of VA of indesputable quality, although in my view, they went a bit too far with the topping. The method they used is very interesting though, since the VA goodness still comes trough unobscured, as if going 'parallel' to the topping rather than behind it. For these reasons I don't agree with reviewers who deem it a 'vulgar' tobacco and chuck it in the same lot as the above mentioned aromatics. There is a sophistication to this flake not found in any of them.

The topping is the sole reason why I give this tobacco 3 rather than 4 stars. I wouldn't agree that EF is your typical beginners flake. Although flavoured, it is a most serious tobacco and should be treated with due respect.

drew2907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drew2907 (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Erinmore flake great stuff straight from thr tin,I love the smell but i dont know about pineapple, sweet and fruity yes but hard to pin down. Smoked in my falcon pipe cool and flavourful it remineded me of ennerdale flake another good smoke,these are the only flakes that i have tried as i have only been smoking a pipe for about two years and have always smoked mixtures, but i recomend erinmore for any beginers like me.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

"A superb blend of premium Virginia leaf topped with a secret recipe and aged under pressure to marry the flavors. The aged cake is then sliced thin and packaged. Can be rubbed to suit any taste. Medium in strength with a refreshing aroma. A cool clean burning all-day smoke."

I think the tin description says most of it, except that I am surprised just how pleasant this is given the reviewer acrimony. I like the tin and side stream aromas. This could have part of my rotation of classic aromatics if Murray & Sons stayed around. Perhaps a replacement will come along and keep the tradition alive. Though, jrcigar.com does still keep restocking this.(?)

Note that this does some effort to light, even with rubbing it out thoroughly.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Erinmore Flake. I have been smoking this alot more & enjoying it more,maybe my taste bud's are changing or maturing,but I have found the virginia to be nice and full.Even with it's secret topping I find it most agreeable now.

Please NoteI give this a really good airing on a sheet of paper for at least 30 min's,or leave the lid off for around 1 to 2 hour's.After the drying process it light's far more easily,and offer's a good consistant smoke with a few tamp's along the way.

If I was a new smoker then maybe I might find it just a little, to strong.

If you are looking for strength in an aromatic blend,along with some fresh sweet taste,then this may just be it!

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Medium Strong Full Tolerable

Notes: I believe enough people have commented on the pineapple (appearing on all the Murray's blends' tins, by the way) to make my mention of it unnecessary. I have smoked this in a number of different pipes, and from a number of different vintages, but I am only just now getting around to reviewing it for whatever reason. I really prefer this in my meerschaum calabash.

Appearance: Dense, black, crumbly thickly sliced dark bown to black flake with wisps of medium brown shreds in it. Reminds me a lot of Krumble Kake in appearance.

Aroma: Very sweet and mellow smelling. Very aromatic topping! Chocolate, orange zest, apricot crumble, blueberries, smoke, figs, nutmeg, corriander, tobacco leaf.

Taste: Cherry popovers with smoke flavoring, blueberry, hickory smoke, creosite, benzoin, spirit gum, hints of tonka bean, fleetingly floral, lychee nut, roasted smoked almonds. Very strong and sweetly smoky, but with a barbeque-type sweetness rather than a fruitcup type of sweetness. Heavy on the palate.

Comparisons: Not as sour-smoky or floral as Imperial's St. Bruno. Like a stronger smokier version of Von Eicken's Three Stars.

Bottom Line: If you are looking for a sweet-smoky aromatic in the form of a latakia-berry blast, you will like this one.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)

No need to fear this one! The aroma of a freshly opened tin is quite powerful, so leave the lid off for a few hours before rubbing out a couple of slices. It packs and lights very easily and stays lit. The casing is not offensive at all, and there is some real tobacco taste there, although mild. For an aromatic it smokes surprisingly dry, and there is only a little dottle in the bottom of the bowl at the end. It makes a pleasant change of pace from my usual stronger English mixtures and I would think a beginning pipesmoker could enjoy it quite happily. These days I find myself gravitating to stronger tobaccos in order to feel satisfied, and this would be my only complaint against it - you need to smoke a couple of pipes to feel as if you've had a smoke! For someone nervous about trying a flake tobacco, as opposed to a ready- rubbed (there's a description that's quietly disappearing, as flakes become unusual and 'ready-rubbed' the norm), this would be a very easy one to experiment with. Definitely a step up from the truly saccharine aromatics. I have not tried the mixture, which I understand is cased much more heavily, so I don't know how it would compare with the flake.

leather throat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
leather throat (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Erinmore flake is a nice tobacco to smoke on a lazy fall afternoon. Some say that it has a pleasent "new mown lawn" smell or maybe even herbal notes. To me I detect a hint of Apricot maybe even some fennel or licorice and I feel that if you taste good and deep you might even notice just a hint of Earl Grey tea in there also. I notice that when I smoke it though, my tongue does feel like it's coated with oil. It goes away quickly and isnt unpleasent enough to make me not smoke it! The pineapple on the tin "to me" isn't a precurser to the flavor that you may encounter. I notice no pineapple notes/taste whatsoever. The pineapple is synonomous with wealth. Centuries ago pineapples were given to royalty because they were exotic and extreamely rare. Basically you only got a pineapple if you were rich or very famous. I think that's where erinmore was going with the tin decor. No offence to anyone but I think people taste what they want to taste and the power of suggestion is overwhelming. If erinmore had a picture of dog poop on the tin people would swear that they taste it. And then again to some erinmore might tatste just like dog poop! Best damn dog poop I ever had!!!!

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The flake is my first experience with Erinmore and its not a bad smoke. The topping is actually quite tasty but in this blend its light enough that you still get some natural tobacco flavor as well.

So I'd say this stuff is pretty good, but it has neither enough natural flavor nor casing flavor to really do it for me. The middle of the road approach gives a good indication of the topping flavor without being overpowering. It doesn't seem bitey and smokes nice and cool. There's nothing really disagreeable about this tobacco, yet it doesn't seem particularly outstanding either. If you like milder tobaccos then this may be your thing.

I think I would prefer some of the more highly topped Erinmore variants better. It makes for a nice fruity change from natural smokes, and has a different character than most aromatics. An interesting tobacco for sure. Since I've determined that I like the flavoring, I intend to get some Erinmore Ready Rubbed which is purported to be more highly flavored than the flake.

Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not my cup of tea...maybe my cup of pineapple juice! Much better than the mixture, at least the flavour is tolerable. The flakes rub out easy but have to be dried a while to be smoked easily. The flavour is fruity and keeps strong throughout the bowl.

ricardo pear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ricardo pear (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Strong

Here in Australia, this is one of the few pipe tobaccos that can be found pretty much everywhere, and it's just as well because I personally find it a very good one. As another reviewer mentioned, the controversial flavouring of this flake is nothing more than apricot - it smells like dried apricots. It is in actual fact quite compatible with tobacco, and especially the virginia that dominates these flakes. By appearance it seems theres some black cavendish in there too. It is a moderately sweet, full tasting, minimally biting and nicotine strong smoke. I can't describe the finer points as I haven't smoked it in a while, but intend to soon. Try it.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading all the reviews here with the mixed opinions I had to pick up a tin to see what made this blend so contravercial. First off, while the tin aroma was indeed pronounced, I still smelled virginia tobacco and there was NO overwhelmingly fruity or juicy fruit pineapple smell at all. So I approached this as what it is, a cased Virginia flake.

The thin goldish brown flakes were asthetically pleasing and easy to rub out. Once rubbed it packed easily. Easy to light, it burned cool, even and slow to the bottom of the bowl into a mottled gray ash.

The virginia tobacco flavor was always present and the flavor was obvious and of quality varitiel, not subtle or one that needs dire concentration to enjoy. The casing was subtle while smoking and never overbearing at all. Nary a gurgle nor any hint of tounge bite. Overall this is medium in strength and a cool clean burning all day smoke. After dozens of tins, it has never flavored any of my pipes nor left any ghosts.

Worthy of a 4 star rating.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Maybe you know this: you're walking in the street and you smell the pipe off a passer-by and you say to yourself :THIS is how a pipe should smell. So you try new blends in the hope to find tis mysterious tobacco. It must be a popular tobacco, because you have smelled it before, but what is it??? (Of course you could ask the man, but I wouldn't dare disturb a man minding his own business and in the midst of enjoying the sacred ritual of smoking his pipe)

I tried a lot of blends to find this elusive aroma, starting with the most popular blends, so I wanted to try Erinmore. Because, no matter how controversial it is, I am sure it must be popular, since it is sold everywhere and it has been since long. So I check out the reviews, and I check out ASP and wOW! This is one of the most controversial blends together with Royal Yacht (which I would like to try, but it is no longer commecially available in my country). Finally, curiosity got the better of me and I got a tin of EF.

After what I read about it, I only dared to smoke it in my least favorite pipe, wich is incidentally realy not a good pipe. Well, that didn't work out right - I was going to give up on it, when I put it in a better pipe, and what a difference that made!

This IS a good tobacco. Ok, in the tin it smells funny, but a pipesmoker should know the taste in the tin says nothing about how it's gonna smell or taste when smoked. And my hobby is smoking a pipe. Well it smells nice, when smoked. I still don't know for sure if it's the smell I was looking for (don't think so), but I found EF a nice tobacco. Quite strong, but easy on the tongue. Aromatic, but the taste is not that aromatic. It worked better after leting the tin air for some time, and even better when rubbing out completely. No complains from my wife, so the roomnote must be ok enough.

AND, I did not find my pipe was ruined after smoking some. Maybe if you smoke this all the time it could ruin a pipe. I reserve half of my pipes for smoking aromatics and I smoke EF in one of them, and I never had a problem of EF remaining in them.

conclusion: a nice tobacco, which I will smoke once in a while. I can recommend it, because if you don't try it you could be missing out on something that a lot of smokers DO enjoy. But mostly, however much you read about a blend, however much you LIKE reading about the different blends, reading can never replace the actual experience.

And me, my search for the mysterious aroma continues...

Semois Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Semois (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

A tobacco with a mysterious flavor. Aromatics are not my cup af tea but if there is a standard of how flavoring a tobacco without ruining it, Erinmore Flake might be the one. The seduicing taste of Virginia is always present, with on the background the delicate and typical EF-flavor. It is not a tobacco I couldn't live without, but once or twice in a year I buy a tin of it.

TxLawman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TxLawman (2)
Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading all of the controversy surrounding this blend, I finally decided to try it. That was several months ago, and I've smoked many tins of it since. This and Penzance have become my two staple tobaccos. I smoke others regularly, but these two are my all day, every day smokes. EF is a strong (in nicotine) but very smooth tobacco with excellent burning characteristics, volumes of smoke, and that ever-so-debated Erinmore flavor. So just what is it?

The first time I filled a pipe with this weed and lit it up, I was literally shocked by a strong sensory memory, almost like coming home. Huh? I KNOW I've never smoked this before. So why do my taste buds insist that I have? Why does this remind me of something from my childhood? NOT JuicyFruit or some kids' candy. Not something baked by my mother. So what? After many tins, I think I've come up with MY answer. "My answer" because it may be totally wrong for you...

When I was a kid, my father used to buy his favorite candy by the bag. Us younguns, candyholics all, were nevertheless not impressed. It was strong, dark, and not very sweet. Better than no candy, but not by much. The candy that reminds me of EF? Horehounds! Any other old codgers remember it? Have I lost my mind, or is this the "secret ingredient?"

Who knows? But whatever it is, I LIKE it. It brings back fond memories of my father. And the taste is just fine now. The old man wasn't totally nuts after all.

Four big stars from the Lone Star State.

Commons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Commons (18)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Several years ago I bought a tin of Erinmore Mixture and found the tobacco so strangely, overwhelmingly fruity that I tossed the rest of the tin away after the first bowl. This review, however, is of an 18-YEAR OLD TIN of Erinmore Flake that a friend had pulled out of his tobacco cellar one night and divided up among us:

Erinmore Flake certainly takes to aging well. If you find the blend too "flavourful" when new, put it aside; the mellowing of age softens this blend up wonderfully. From the get-go this aged flake smoked with only just a hint of the reknowned fruit flavour and intermingled with the smoothness of the natural virginias. Not particularly sweet, but definitely with a kick-in-the-arse of nicotene towards the bottom of the bowl. I enjoyed this tremendously, and have put a few tins away for aging. (Especially in light that Murray's is transferring production to another company!)

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Back when I was a college student (more years ago than I like to think about), I smoked a pipe, and Erinmore-- both Flake and Mixture-- were favorites of mine. Those, and Dunhill Elizbethan Mixture, were my mainstays. I gradually drifted away from pipe smoking, and recently came back to it after many pipeless years. Naturally, one of the first tobaccos I bought was Erinmore Flake. I find that I'm not as fond of it as I used to be; I tend now to prefer English mixtures well charged with Latakia. I still enjoy a pipeful of Erinmore occasionally, when I'm in the mood for something lighter and more aromatic. The tutti-fruitti tin aroma does come through in the smoke, but I find it diminishes as I smoke. Gradually, more of the natural tobacco flavor comes to the fore. To me, the flavoring isn't all that objectionable, but I definitely have to be in the right mood for Erinmore. The room aroma is pleasant enough, less objectionable to non-smokers than my usual English blends.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Compared to the dreaded Mixture, this is actually a good tobacco! Think of a gentler version of St. Bruno (less flavored and lighter in nicotine), and you will have an idea.

The tin aroma is, as often said, overwhelming. A bit like cologne, fruity (not necessarily pineapple, more like plums and lemon, with some background anise and licorice): definitely a traditional flavoring like the flowery scent of the Lakeland tobaccos.

What I would like to point out is that this is not a sticky aromatic, and this strong flavoring does not provoke a wet or goopy smoke. I would also dare to say that the strong scent does not translate into a strongly flavored smoke: while a pipe can catch and retain some of the typical Erinmore smell in a few bowls (and the taste too, with some bowls more), the sensory experience is actually quite subdued. Frankly, I feel that the topping of Erinmore Flake is much less noticeable and quizzical, for my taste, than the soapy scent of some other classic British flakes.

The tobacco is a smooth Virginia, quite delicate in taste (not the deep sugary sweetness of American leaf like the McClelland flakes) and quite refined. There are lots of nuances of flavor, going from grassy lemony notes to a pleasant sweetness. At times, though, it can become a bit monochromatic and uninteresting. It does not bite the tongue, contrarily to what some reviewers wrote.

In a little-medium bowl, this tobacco does not give me nicotine spins and it's perfectly tolerable.

I was pleasantly surprised by Erinmore Flake: it is LOTS better than word of mouth would suggest. Me, I prefer tastier Virginias: juicy red leaf with lots of sugar like in Blackwoods Flake, or a deep honeyed taste like in Marlin Flake. But as delicate, elegantly flavored Virginias go, this one deserves a go!

Midsibirian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Midsibirian (4)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very satisfying smoke. The topping is noticable in smoke for about 10 minutes, after that its tobacco. This is my regular evening smoke, playing chess and having a dram of Glengoyne scotch single malt (only on sundays ;-). These go together very well by their "fruity" lines. I enjoy Erinmore Flake.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I opened a tin of EF before Christmas, as a companion to the St Bruno and Walnut Flake I had been enjoying. I only partake of Erinmore Flake every few years or so, but I enjoy it when inclined so. All subjective reviewer categorizations aside, this represents to me one of the earlier attempts to create what is now called a "floral English blend". The casing is affrontive when the tin is first opened but recedes quickly both as the contents dry and as you smoke your pipe. With the availability of superior offerings from the greats of Lakeland style blending, EF is not a contender for regular consumption in my pipes, but a pleasant, every-so-often, smoke that is tasty and unique. Oh, and it beats the Mixture version all to hell.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

It's a shame to put that topping on this fine flake tobacco. No, it isn't pineapple, but something I can't quite remember from organic chemistry class, and I disliked it then. Benzophenone? Coumarin? Some cyclic ketone I don't want in my mouth, for sure. Damn, I have a 100 gram tin and I'm too cheap to throw it out. Maybe 6 weeks open in a remote room... Whoever makes this should sell an uncased version and become wealthy. Hmmm. Thinking what I'm thinking?

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Ahh Erinmore Flake. Love it or hate it right? Well I don't "love " it nor do I hate it. Its an occasional smoke for me though. Its true that it indeed has a unique taste. Some will find that taste unpleasant. In fact when I first sampled Erinmore I found it unpleasant. However I also discovered something intresting about this blend and it prompted me to go purchase another tin to keep around the "cellar". As stated I bought a tin to see what all the fuss was about. The "Erinmore Taste" was too much for me. So the opened tin sat in my truck for a few months this summer. (I live in S. Florida so it gets rather warm in there) While cleaning out my truck I rediscovered the tin. Upon opening it that characteristic Erimore smell had subsided quite a bit. Huh.. I thought maybe I should give it another try. So I did. Again and again and again. What I discovered was a fine VA flake with an incredibly smooth taste and zero tounge bite. I promply finshed the tin and purchased another for next summer. While it may seem silly to go through the hassle of letting it "stove" in my truck over the summer the results are amazing. This is a highly recommended VA Flake IMO worth the extra work. Try it and you may find this to be a wonderful expierience. Rev 11/18/04

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I don't know for sure what the "secret recipe" is on the tin description, but have you wondered why there is a pineapple on the lid?? Run Forrest RUN!! This stuff is terrible!! I threw most of it in the trash where it couldn't hurt anyone ever again. I was going to use the empty tin to hold change in my truck but kept having flashbacks whenever I saw the yellow tin.

Extremely Strong Very Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff is super fruity and in my opinion...too cased. I just had a nice heavy meal and thought I might be able to handle the nicotine, hold a sec please...belch....sorry...its still getting to my gut, I was mistaken. This is just too strong for me and I have had some strong blends. additionally, this one just left that cased flavor in my mouth and though I could taste some of the Va, I really could not get past the cased fruitiness in which this leaf is replete. It did burn nicely however with only a slight tongue assault. All in all...I can't recommend this one.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

September 2004

This tobacco is probably the best "aromatic" blend I have ever tried, and thus provides strong testament to the fact that I will never be an aromatic smoker. Like most aromatics for be, the tin aroma is wonderful, but the flavor simply doesn't come close to the olfactory sensation.

I must admit, though, that the entertainment value of some of the above reviews (e.g., Bear's) made this blend worth exploring . . .

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

When I first had this, I thought to myself, "Oh no, what is this... Catfood and ass???" BUT, I think it was the fact that I smoked it with a pipe that I cleaned with windex and cured with olive oil.

The second smoking was better, and I did one extra thing: I DRIED IT ON MY DASHBOARD!!!

It's far better this way. Cruncy, crispitty, peanut buttery... Well, not peanut buttery, but it's fragrant, and fruity. Almost a lychee fruit note. It's a far better tobacco dry. Quite simply: Smooth, fragrant, pleasant, and slightly fruity. I enjoy it, and will smoke it often.

---UPDATED---- You better smoke the tin really quick, otherwise it tastes, and leaves you smelling like cigarettes... I'm not a cigarette smoker, and I do not like this anymore.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked this in the past and I didn't like it much. I know how my taste can change so yesterday I went down to my favorite tobacconist and picked up a tin. My taste has changed, and now I like Erinmore. I like it a lot in fact. The flakes are soft and rub out easy or can be folded.IMHO The aromatic agent is excellent and not to over-powering. The tobacco has got a nicotene kick,so make sure you smoke this in a small bowl pipe. The pineapple on the tin IS NOT representative of the flavouring at all.Hear me out,THERE IS NO PINEAPPLE IN THIS TOBACCO. The pineapple has been a sign of quality,and an "above the rest" type meaning since the Victorian era. If you had a pineapple back then you were pretty special, since they only grew in a few places in the tropics.So the Pineapple on the tin means "the highest quality". Back to the tobacco.It's a good flake,popular in Europe and India especially,(I don't know why). It should be noted that one should dedicate a pipe to this tobacco as it will mark the pipe with it's unusual aromatic agent. A hearty good smoke.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Very Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

After the comical encounter with Erinmore's Mixture in a round tin. I thought I'd try to get one of these to to be in touch with my lighter side. so I bought, rubbed half a tin's worth, stored in a big jar to dry for a few weeks and then I pack and light it up. Hum...another surprise, this is seriuos stuff. It is very mellow to the taste, no undesirable peaks of flavor. A hint of a fruity freshness way way in the back ground. and hey I can even get the virginia's cream by mid bowl. And then time passsed and I smoke nothing but this. I get 5 cans of these each time I buy. But that was long time ago. I hadn't touch this stuff for 5 years. My taste had mellowed out a lot I guess. But if someone were to ask me which was the best and the highest quaility aromatic tobacco I had ever encounter I would say Erinmore Flakes. Smoking pipe is a wierd thing and it is very personal. Sometimes I would get a craving for Captain Black but never Erinmore Flakes in the past five years. The act of lighting up a pipe in moments of exsistance goes beyond just the taste and quality of the weed or the pipe. It is a way of relating to reality and the thought that reality manage to induce. Maybe this is why even Mixture 79 in here had a one good rating. Something to think about........hum....

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Upon first lighting this I thought Erinmore was way too hot to smoke, and I charred my tongue. A week or two later when I was out of everything else I returned this cautiously. I slowed my puffing down to a crawl. It does need to be smoked slowly, and once that was accomplished it was pretty good. It was worht the effort for me but the topping did not bug me.

I like the topping. I have no idea what it was but I should note that I believe pineapples once adorned Victorian homes as a sign of well being I believe that could be the case here as well... if not well more confusion could always be needed with regard to it... sorta makes people try the blend.

scootertrash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootertrash (11)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I like this tobacco, but not from a freshly opened tin. I find it too moist and the fruity & black licorice flavoring (IMO) overpowering. I allow the tin to air for some time. Then the scent from the tin is still the same, just not as strong & the taste while smoking is of a good scented Virginia Flake. I can smoke this all day with no problem. I rub the flakes out fairly well before loading a pipe. It smokes cool & dry to the bottom of the bowl leaving a light grey ash. I dedicate a pipe to this tobacco while I have a tin opened, but once the tin is finished I?ve had no problem smoking another tobacco in it. This is the third tin if Erinmore I?ve smoke in the last five or six years. This is a refreshing change of pace tobacco for me. I?ll buy another tin sometime.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As usual I don't understand the strong reactions to this blend. Although the topping is certainly unique, it certainly wasn't as intense an experience as the previous reviews led me to believe it was going to be. That said and done, I found this to be a very tasty flake indeed. The Virginia base was good, if not as smooth as some I have encountered, and the topping was delicious. It reminded me of a fruitcake flavor for some reason with licorice and anise in the back ground. This is a rich smoke and so might be a little strong first thing in the day. I find I enjoy this the most outdoors on a brisk day, or in the local pub (a wonderful little joint called The Girdlestone) with a pint of Guinness! This baccy burned nice and cool for me and I never had to use a pipe cleaner due to moisture. I wonder how long it will remain in production due to the new anti-smoking legislation that has been recently passed in Ireland. If I need to I won't hesitate to cellar a goodly amount of this stuff, It's worth it!

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Strong

As you have probably read most people love or hate this tobacco. When I was a newer pipe smoker I loved the flake form( I always hated the loose mixture) smoked in a peterson system. My taste have changed and now I dont prefer heavily cased tobaccos. For those of you who like aromatics there is a possibility that you might like this but even as aromatics go this is very heavily cased and is much more harsh than most aromatics. Some try to classify this as a virginia flake but I would definately not. Even though it does contain virginias and is in a flake form it is definately an aromatic. If you are bold, give this a try. Careful, this Irishman is rough and tough and is not afraid to make his presence known!

Magnulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magnulus (8)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Well, this tobacco has been extensively reviewed. It's often a love it or leave it, and often a "leave it". I find it to be neither, really. Although somewhat popular in the UK, and to a lesser extent, the US and Canada, this tobacco just is not that great.

This is a Virginia flake of some sort. ALthough there might just be some darker tobacco in there, I've never tasted it. The tin aroma is pineapple or spicy like a citrus cologne. It's a zesty flake, naturally sweet and of high quality. The problem is the top note. It's very unusual and IMO is the weak point for this blend. It seems to be a pineapple with a hint of licorice or other sweetener. It's not heavy but every now and then rears its head and doesn't really meld well with the zesty Virginia. I enjoy fruity topped tobacco like Dunhill Ready Rubbed, but the fruit flavor here is of an entirely different character- it's actually SOUR, like a pineapple, as well as being sweet. Every now and then there's a "soapy" note floating up, a bit floral, perhaps from the combination of the top note and the tobacco. As a result, you have a unique tobacco, but one that will only appeal to a few. Smoking Erinmore definitely makes you stand out from the crowd.

It does have some strength to it, but not really all that much. It's basicly a medium blend, but I've upped the strength a bit because the "effect" is a little stronger than the tobacco suggests. Novices should handle with care, and smoke only in a small pipe.

The room note is tobacco, but sort of sourish sweet. It may not be agreeable to others. In the end I must say I cannot really say this tobacco is all that great. I'd only recommend it to somebody looking for a really unusual tobacco.

The Tobacco Man from Outer Mongolia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Tobacco Man from Outer Mongolia (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I smoked this tobacco about twemve years ago, and although I liked it, did not return to it for another six or so years.

This is a tobacco that although can be smoked straight from the tin, is better when dried. The tin I tried was twenty years old and well aged.

Nothing in my mind says that this tobacco is laced with pineapple, to those who say it is I am glad you are not tobacco blenders or tea tasters.

Only the deaf and blind of taste could lead me down that road. This tobacco is topped with Apricot, and not pineapple.

The Virginia of which this tobacco is made is 'A' Grade mellow on the tongue, with a mellow fruity flavour. Smoking this tobacco new is nothing to the delight of smoking an aged tin.

This has to be cellared to be appreciated, and is one I will age and return to often in the future.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Erinmore Flake- One of those love it or hate it tobaccos. What more can be said after 25 reviews? The aroma and flavor are strong, almost perfumy.

This is one of those blends you have to be in the mood for. I usually fold up part of a flake and smoke it in a small "everything" pipe. I cannot imagine smoking a great big bowl of Erinmore. I treat it like a sweet after-dinner liqeur, sip on a small glass and appreciate its uniqueness.

The room note, especially a few hours after smoking, is abhorrent enough to gag a maggot. I can imagine that it you smoked it in the same pipe for several days running, it would scar the pipe for life. At least for a long time.

However, I will always keep some around for those (thankfully rare) Erinmore moments. Be interesting to see if the tin I have now (and have had for 2+ years) will outlast my bottle of Creme de Menthe...

=========== Update, 10/16/03 =============

After smoking several scented Lakeland-style flakes (e.g. Gawith,Hoggarth Kendal Flake and Rum Flake) I have a different perspective on Erinmore Flake. I see it now as one of these scented flakes. Doesn't fundamentally change my feeling for it, but I see that it is, rather than a funky aromatic, a fruity example of a "scented" flake. Now that I have a pipe devoted to such flakes, I may partake of EF a bit more often.

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (32)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

I remember trying this as a neophyte and it wasn't too bad. It had more of a plum or prune flavor for me and I was toking it in a big-bowled Grabow that had more fills than Appalachian Mountain back roads. The Grabow's thick walls insulated well and I would run through about 9 filters per bowl on this stuff.

All in all, it wasn't bad. It's like a bucking bronco that can give you a bit of a good ride or toss you off and then stomp you into the mud.

Smoke with discretion and smoke outside is my advice. Beginners should probably stay away from this stuff. Now that I've gotten more into the GL Pease and McClelland blends, I've no real reason to revisit this one, but I'd not refuse it if it was offered and I had no British Woods on me.

thegooddoc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thegooddoc (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm afraid that I must admit that I did NOT try this to join in on the debate over this blend. In fact, I didn't even know there was such a heated debate over this blend! This was a recomendation from a friend of mine at the smoke shop. I thanked him very much for the recomendation later. I have had experience with flake cut tobacco before, so the rubbing process didn't elude me much. What I have found is that when you rub the flakes out, you must make a decision between the lesser of two evils. The evils I speak of are 1) rub it into long ribons, and it tends to smoke itself out, and loose some flavor; 2) rub it into smaller ribons and cubes, and it smokes much hotter, but with much more flavor. I tend to opt for #2 since I am accustomed to hotter smoke since I love Virginia and Burley. Yes, yes I know, I know, I'm American! One thing that stood out for me was that everyone claims that they smell pineapple when the open the tin. I never noticed that untill I read these reviews. When I open the tin, what I smell is a tart, tangy smell, almost like a citrus essence! After I read the reviews, I smelled the tin again, and I guess you can smell the pineapple flavors in the casing. Something to think about there... I don't have much of a choice other than to agree with some of the warnings that others have made about smoking this in a large bowl. I enjoy this the most when it's loosly packed into my Savineli Bent-Bob. The smoke is almost intoxicating. The flavors of the casing marry well with the smoke of the Virginia, making a very aromatic smoke in the room. My friends like the smell of the tobacco, but the room note has to be "pleasent to tolerable" because of the thickness of the smoke. All-in-all I have to give this a solid four out of five stars. The mixture of flavors and the wonderful (to me at least) smoke are definatly a winning combination!

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

This tobacco has been one of my favorites for decades. I believe the main reason for its long life is because of the high quality of the tobacco. The quality and texture of the flake remind me of Dunhill's Light Flake. It does have a pungent tin aroma which defies uniform description. For me it has a light fruity (apricot) note but overwhelmingly conveys the scent of strong, black licorice, the kind you could get years ago when I was a kid. So I conclude that the tobacco has been heavily topped with an anise sweetener, similar in some respects to Germain's anise topping, but stronger and deeper. I detect no pineapple, despite the image on the tin. The tobacco rubs out any way you like it and packs easily. It is smooth from the first puff. Initially, you get the scent of the topping, but that quickly fades. This is a delicious smoke with a unique and lightly sweetened Virginia flavor. The strong topping does not come through to interfere with the flavor of the tobacco, but rather enhances it in its special way. This is a smoke that tastes so uniquely good that you remember it, and you would miss it if you could not taste it again. Highly recommended to the Va. flake lover and most highly recommended to lovers of English scented Va. flakes. Paddy.

mesacactus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mesacactus (21)
Medium Very Strong Very Full Very Strong

When I first tried Erinmore, I was not prepared for it. This is a tobacco, that one must make a mental effort to prepare for, and appreciate. Reason being, the flavor of the tobacco is so strong, and so pronounced, it can overwhelm the smoker. This must be one of the most intense in flavor tobaccos I have ever tried. More so than Three Star Blue, Blue Note, and various other tobaccos I have found on the bar. When you first open the tin, you are greated with an aroma, that does not truely represent what you are about to smoke. It smells sweet, but not overly so. Since this is a flake tobacco, you must perform the rubbing yourself. Upon first lite, you are greated with a flavor, so rich, and so full, you will almost be ready to end your smoke after the first few puffs. Not because it was bad, but because to go further would be to overload your taste buds, and not be able to taste anything else, for at least several hours. The tin has a picture of a pineapple on the front. Maybe pineapple is used as an ingredient of the casing which is added to the tobacco? All I can say as to the way this tobacco tastes, is sweet, and perfume/flower like. It was very good, but my pipe tasted like the tobacco for a long time, even after smoking several bowls of other tobaccos, to include 100% Latakia. A word of advice, if you find yourself liking this tobacco, do not smoke Erinmore except in the original pipe you used to first smoke it in. Or else you will find yourself shopping for more pipes, because the others, all taste like Erinmore tobacco. This tobacco leaves a lasting impression, not a bad one, but one you realy never need to repeat. One bowl was enough for me. To smoke it again, would be overkill. Maybe in a year or two, I'll try it again.

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)
Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

I quite enjoy this tobacco, I'm a big fan of flake tobacco and Virginias for that matter and Erinmore embodies both of these traits.

The first thing I noticed on opeing the tin was the smell of well-aged Virginia tobaco. There is casing there, but it doesn't remind me so much of pineapple, but rather of something like apricot, with a bit of tang.

This tobacco is a joy to smoke. It smokes easily with no problems keeping it lit, either lightly rubbed out or well rubbed. The topping is there, but the thing I taste the most is the high-quality leaf Erinmore uses. I tend to smoke this tobacco in one of my smaller bowls as there is a good whack of nicotine in there. I'm not a reformed cigarette smoker so I'm a bit more sensitive to the big nicotine tobaccos. Unlike some Virginias I've never had Erinmore bite me at all. Always burns cool and the smoke is flavorful and thick.

I wouldn't reccomend this to a novice pipe smoker, but for the rest of us who can take a bit of nicotine it's a wonderful tobacco.

lvnvbiker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvnvbiker (15)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Seeing all the rants about this I had to try it,and am glad that I did! This is just wonderful tobacco, although the smell in the tin reminded me of my Grandmothers awfull perfume. Once you get past the smell it is pure heaven, the char is sweet but not to sweet and at half bowl you better be sitting or you may find yourself there anyway. The bottom third is complex with the sweetness being well overpowered by the leaf itself. The nicotene punch is very good and it does not bite if you smoke it at an even pace. The best thing is my wife LOVES the smell in the room (hence I get to smoke in peace!) All I can say is Erin Go Bragh!!!

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Despisers of this excellent weed are those who likely stay away from any tobacco that is flavored, cased, topped, what have you. The fruity tin aroma, while strong (and not pineapple) is totally unique in the world of weed--there is none like it, and comparisons seem to come up short--so it has that element of mystery which makes tobacco smelling (and smoking) interesting in the first place! Besides, tin aroma and taste often do not correspond in a simple fashion (and often the "nicest" smelling ones taste and smoke awful IMHO)--so it is with this weed. When you get down to smoking this stuff, what you have is top notch virginia that is enhanced quite subtly really by the fruity notes derived from the casing--but mostly it's strong tobacco flavor! This is dense flake that needs a good rubbing unless you want to be smoking your bowl for four days--it burns slow and it's strong so I choose a small bowl when I reach for it. I've never had the problem with residual flavour in my bowls from this stuff (maybe that's because I like it in the first place) but I do smoke it in pipes dedicated to aromatics.

Lup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lup (1)

The pleasure starts when you open the yellow can. The sweet smelt invades your nose and you can?t wait to fell the flavor. I place two or three slices in the pipe (without rubering) and it burns straight to the end, no need to light again. I love the pineapple taste, and I love also Virginia. Here in Brazil it is almost the same price of the Dunhill and similars, I always have one can for the cold days.

BeaN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BeaN (3)
Very Strong Strong Full Tolerable

juicy fruit is gonna move ya... gotta taste that sticks right to ya ( including your pipe, room, hand, hair, and anything else around)

so this being one of the few tins the local store carries and myself recently running out of baccy i decided to give this contoversial blend a shot. im fairly new to pipe and have been winding my way through various blends over the last year to get my tastebuds acclimated to the variety which is the world of pipe so mabye take this with a grain of salt.

tin aroma: NASTY!!! it really does smell like juicy fruit gum. open the tin and BAM... sheer gum. strong, fruity and tart. damn smell lingers on everything.

moisture content: found it a bit heavy on the wet side. was prone to gurgling a bit till i aired the tin out for a few hours at which time i found it lit and burnt well.

the smoke: first couple of puffs are cloyed with the fruity tart flavor which makes up its wretched tin smell. thank god this flavor vanishes relativly quickly and leaves a rich, hearty VA taste. this remains till near the bottom of the bowl where it does become a bit thick. after the first couple of puffs the topping does wed well to the over all tobac taste with the VA on the back of the palate and the fruit essance lingering on the tip of the toungue. pretty nice combination really.

one thing i will say about this tobacco is that it does kick my ass. smoke a bowl and im pretty dizzy. i just figure ill puff down the tin and if the nicotine doesnt kill me ill be a tougher man from the experiance. all in all it has some ups and downs as a blend but not to bad on the hole.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Strong

I smoke this when I'm in the mood for something a little stronger & sweet.Some people can handle it, & other's can't.It's not a bad tobacco but fairly well cased! "Though" I know of 3 fairly new pipe smoker's who prefer this to milder blend's!! It is sweet with a thick topping that is said "to be pineapple"?? I only smoke this in a dedicated pipe as the taste can stay in a pipe for many week's.As far as tobacco can go,you can do alot worse believe me.And this in a class of it's own. The texture of the flake is rather good,I like to let it dry abit & then lighting is not a problem-if not packed to tight.I find this smoke's very nicely in a Peterson bent pipe.In it's class-I will give it 3 Out of 4 Star's.

BriarPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPuffer (5)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Nothing more and nothing less than an aromatic of unusual flavoring and strength in flake form. It's not one of my favorites, but I don't HATE it. I like it as a change of pace smoke. And I've sold pipes I've smoked it in without complaint, but that may only indicate my skill at cleaning pipes.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Strong

Pure CRAP. Not only is it crap, it will make whatever pipe you smoke it out of CRAP too. It creeps up into your pipe and dies a horrid death. You have been forewarned.

DrDottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDottle (3)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I thought I?d make my first review a controversial one! Having read some of the previous comments about this substance I was intrigued. So I took my life in my hands and tried it and?I am still here to tell the tale. More than that, I actually found it a very enjoyable smoke. It is, of course, flavoured to an extent with something sweet and fruity. I can?t really be sure which fruit, but I?m not convinced about the pineapple theory. But the thing which will horrify so many of you is that my sweet tooth also extends to my taste in tobacco. If you like it sweet, this has not only some sweetness from the flavouring, but the natural rich sweetness of the Virginia flake underneath. The fruity flavour really doesn?t obscure the tobacco flavour, and I find this very satisfying if smoked slowly, without much rubbing out.

mailman 5000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mailman 5000 (60)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Strong

Juicy fruit just about sums this one up , an unholy allaince of chewing gum and tobacco . I see that this is availble in 100g doses over the pond , stick to the 50g . This stuff has a habit of lingering in your pipe and your house. A friend of mine bought a house and the minute I walked in the frontroom the smell of this tobacco hit me , the previous owner smoked this stuff and even after the room was redecorated it still lingered every time I walked in. Availble in flake , ready rubbed and plug in England.

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

My first tobaccos were, as with most pipe smokers, inexpensive aromatics and cavendish blends from the nearest tobacconist. Then one day, while sharing a few pints with my friend John, I tried the infamous Erinmore. Egad! Strong stuff! I'm afraid it sent my running for the restroom with a complaining stomach. I tried it again a few weeks later, this time in my apartment. The smell of the stuff stayed for two weeks! All of this was about three years ago. My tastes seem to have matured (or simply changed) somewhat. I've since tried it again.

Other reviewers speak of Juicy Fruit and pineapple. I don't for the life of me find Erinmore to contain these flavours in anywhere near the proportions described by others. Mild hints, perhaps, but certainly not overwhelming. I do, however, taste a marvelous Virginia flavour. This it has in abundance. With careful packing and careful puffing, Erinmore delivers a wonderful, cool, dry, long smoke. This tobacco seems to be available everywhere in England. I can understand why.

CJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CJ (45)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

When I first started smoking a pipe some 35 years ago, I made the mistake of believing that tobacco should be quite moist for puffing. Back then, I first tried Erinmore and thought it was an abomination. I never finished the tin. Now that I know better, I decided to revisit it. The tin aroma is fruity and almost smells like cologne. I have a new method for heavily flavored blends including scented ropes. I took out a flake and laid it on a piece of paper until it was almost completely dry. I then rubbed it completely out until it almost became granular. I then left this to dry until very little moisture was left. During this drying period, most of the casing evaporates. After filling a Meerschaum pipe, I rehydrate the tobacco by breathing through the bowl a few times. The result was a fairly strong heavy, rounded Virginia/Burley smoke with a very decent nicotine content. The strong tin aroma was hardly noticed during the smoke, but it did present a nice room aroma. Using the method listed above, this is a decent smoke for those that like heavy tobacco blends. I will keep this around for an occasional smoke. I will only smoke it in a Meerschaum, as it will flavor a briar. Not recommended for beginners or those that find the room spinning when smoking strong blends.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you are like me, there may come a point, early on in your smoking career, when you think smoking pineapple cinders is pretty cool. This stage may last you about half a tin. Afterwards, you will spend about six months trying to get that pineapple taste out of your pipes and perhaps even thanking Jah that your tastes have evolved so far as to not again require Juicy Fruit in your pipes. But then again, you might really like this stuff.

TDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TDE (10)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

Overview: Erinmore Flake is an Irish tobacco that has been around a long time (my Dad smoked it as an RAF bomber pilot in World War II). It comes in a yellow and red 50 gram tin of rectangular shape.

Feel: This flake is much drier and less sticky than the Cavendishes many new pipers are used to. Thats OK. Just take a few strips off the cake and put it in the center of your left palm. Next, put your right palm on these strips and move it in a slightly circular motion until the strips change to a consistency you're used to. Now pack it in your pipe in 3 or 4 lifts. Flake tobacco allows me to achieve several consistencies for different 1) pipes and 2) rates of burn I require for different occasions.

Smoking Characteristics: Erinmore has the exact moisture level I like for setting-up a '1 match' burn. Cool and slow burning, it is quite unlikely to burn the mouth of a skilled piper. Occasional re-lighting may be required for beginners. Better out-of-doors than indoors,I enjoy it immensely while camping, walking or canoeing in the spring and fall as it seems to do better in cooler air.

Nose: Popping the lid reveals Erinmore to have a strong & complex aroma both fruity and peppery -- a wonderful experience if your appreciation of scent extends beyond the corner store brands. The room note is semi-sweet & pleasant for smokers but it?s power is a bit much for the average non-smoker. Unfortunately, this nice room note tends to sour a bit quickly.

Mouth: This is a strong, remarkably flavourful tobacco, well-behaved for pipesmokers with good technique buthard on Pipers with soft mouths. The initial taste experience is very full (somewhat extreme) and complex with the sweetness of fruit that is slightly-past-ripe. Flavors shift subtly within that context as it burns down. Not a tobacco for overnight re-lighting or inhaling.

Economics: Here in Canada, Erinmore Flake is a high-priced tobacco. But I rate it as a moderately economical smoke because of it?s slow burn and it?s ability to please the nose & palate with small puffs.

Last Word: Probably not for new pipesmokers with soft mouths as their taste buds would probably go into shock. However, if you enjoy the strong aromas and tastes of blue cheese, anchovies, peppers, jerky, scotch, etc. you may be ready to give Erinmore a try. I enjoy Erinmore immensely while camping, hiking or canoeing in the spring and fall. It's not my favorite blend for summer time as it tastes better when smoked in cool, moist air. I rate Erinmore at 4 stars out of 5 and would put it in my luggage if I faced banishment to a desert island.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Mild Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

I tried it and it's flavored way too much for my taste . Yuck.

Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

After heating in presses, a uniform, brown flake is cut to slices ~ 3"x1"x1/16". Perfect moisture content right from the tin. I don't rub it out and just pack it easily in the bowl. Burns cool this way without a hint of bite. It has a unique tin aroma and taste which you'll probably either love or hate. Towards the bottom of the bowl, especially in a large one, it may become overpowering. However, the Virginias still come thru without any strong casing. I enjoy this one especially after meals and if you like aromatics, you might try this VA flake.

flakeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakeman (13)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I remember my grandfather smoking this one 40 years ago so it's been around for a long time, but be warned - you'll either love it or hate it with a passion.It is a tobacco that certainly makes a statement but what that statement is depends on yourself, one things for sure - you'll have a strong opinion - there's no half way with this one. For what it's worth I like it!!! Produced by Murrays in Belfast the tobacco takes the form of soft brown flakes that rub up easily in the hand. It is fairly dry and in the tin smells fruity,with undertones of fermented Virginia. Virginia is in fact a large part of this blend. Light up and this is were the fun really starts. The flavour bursts on the tongue like fireworks in a dark sky - WOW! - There is fruit in abundance here,pineapple predominates. If you like your tobacco sweet then this is it in spades!! However there is never any tongue bite and under the fruitiness the qualities of the virginia shines through. Smoke it slowly and the complexities of the blend make themselves known. The tobacco has huge depth. If however your a fan of straight flakes or heavy Latakia blends you'll hate this. The room note is pleasant but never overpowering. Where this tobacco really comes into it's own is outdoors. Tramping sun kissed hills with this burning in a medium sized full bent is a great pleasure for it is at this time that the full complexity of this blend shines through. Don't rub it out too much on these occasions and it will reward with high smoking satisfaction. One last word of warning - this tobacco retains it's flavour to the last shred and for ever after in whatever pipe you smoke it in - so it might be an idea to keep a pipe for this blend on it's own. So enjoy or detest - whatever the case may be!