Edgeworth Sliced was introduced on the American market in 1903. This unique pipe tobacco contains high-quality Tennessee and Kentucky white burley tobaccos, expertly blended for particular smokers who want a personalized flake. Years of aging and unique manufacturing processes ensure a richer flavor, and a longer, cooler smoke. Pressed blend made with pipe burley and fire-cured tobacco.

Notes: Pipe Tobacco Hall of Fame Inductee.

BrandLane Limited
Packaging50 grams tin, 100 grams tin
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

This has a deep, almost intense molasses taste that leaves room on your taste buds for the nutty burley, and very mild cocoa hit. There's a light sharp note from the white burley. The nicotine level is mild. The strength and taste are medium. The flake breaks apart rather easily, and burns cool, clean, smooth, and a little slow with a very consistent flavor. No dull or harsh spots, and it won't bite. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. It gives off lots of smoke when you puff, and leaves a pleasant after taste. I can't imagine why this tobacco was discontinued. "We wuz robbed," sez I! I sure hope somebody brings it back someday, but if that happens, darn near every burley smoker and their brothers will hoard the heck out of it.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes, yes. It’s Edgeworth Sliced. It’s legendary and not just because it’s not around anymore. It’s legendary because it is one of those few blends that embodies all of its components and what they are supposed to be. For stoved Virginia, you have Stonehaven. For Orientals, you have Balkan Sobranie. And for burley, friends, you have Edgeworth Sliced.

It’s everything, everything, everything that burley can be and was ever meant to be. For those fools who think that they’re too good burley, this proves to them that the leaf of ol’ Kentucky can be just as much of a gentleman and virtuoso as any son of Virginia. For those of us who prefer burley, well, it’s just heaven. It’s what we imagine they give you when you arrive in pipe smoking Valhalla.

It smells a little like animal crackers or ginger snaps in the tin: lightly sweet and a little grassy. It’s got some very, very mild top dressing. Just enough to smooth it out and cut some of the bitterness you find in all burley. The note of chocolate is subtly pervasive as well. That’s the smell of the leaf. All good burley has that.

You can rub out this flake, if you want to. I wouldn’t. It burns so easily that rubbing out only accelerates the burn and makes you more likely to miss some of the nuances. There are quite a few nuances so, leave it chunky and keep the burn slow.

For taste, think autumn leaves. Think green tea. There’s rich, dark brown, crusty artisanal bread in there too. Hints of raw sugar cane, hazelnuts, chestnuts, the smell of hardwoods. All throughout, there’s that note of chocolate; dark, bitter chocolate with just a little anise and other such things from that mildly sweet and herbal top dressing. It never burns hot and never fatigues the palate.

Is it good? Dammit, it’s the best. It’s a smoke for kings and potentates and fifties dads alike. It’s all the best of the American blending tradition. And it’s not around anymore. If you get a chance to buy some, buy it. I don’t care what you have to do. If someone offers you some, smoke it. Don’t be a fool.

I would like to say that I cherished and hoarded the tin I had. I didn’t. It was gone in a week and a half.

It's taken me close to a year to finish this tin, which is a rare bit of good and careful planning on my part. I have one tin left and no idea when/if I'll find another of this, the finest burley I've ever smoked, bar none... and probably my deserted island tobacco, assuming I could find enough to last!

I have no idea how old the tin was. But the tobacco was still at typical (for other blends) tin moisture, which was how I preferred to smoke it. It has an incredibly round texture on the tongue - no roughness as most burleys have. Kind of nut-like in flavor. I think strongirish nailed it with "oatmeal", but the predominant flavor is good old tobacco. Rich, friendly, mild-but-robust tobacco. No figs, plums, dried fruit or other "reviewer-type" flavors. This is a blend for those that are simply in love with the taste of tobacco and for those who find burleys monodimensional and boring. Well, actually, this one IS monodimensional, but its dimension is exactly where I want to be.

Being a fan of both Solani and Wessex burleys, I'm aging several tins of both to see if they can come close to replicating this fantastic slice. I'm crossing my fingers! If you love burley and come across a tin of this, don't hesitate!

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I recently revisited this classic by popping the top on a no longer produced Burley Flake superstar, Edgeworth Sliced in a 3-1/2 ounce tin from 2004. Strong, rich, nutty and smooth as silk, this one has been called the best Burley flake ever to hit the market. Who am I to disagree?

Pipestud

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)

If you find it, grab it. If your buddy at the pipe club brings some to share, buy him his favorite drink.

This was a very pleasant smoke for me. I really enjoyed the tobacco taste mixed with a very nice, non-overwhelming plum companion. It packed real easy, and it smoked very well. There's little I can add other than comparing it to a 6+ year tin of Royal Yacht I recently sampled. Edgeworth was less intense, more deliberately subdued and with a much lighter nicotine content -- what really made it work for me is the Burley instead of RY's Virginias.

It's that good. It made a favorite of mine taste "OK".

Pipe Used: Dunhill Shell 4101

Similar Blends: Dunhill - Royal Yacht.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

So sad that this flake is gone from the market. These perfectly humidified, light brown flakes were like no other. Burley at its best! I was fortunate to get one tin with several years of age on it a couple years back and it reminded me of just how great this blend was. The superior leaf and processing involved assured you were getting a fine product every time you popped that massive blue tin. The price for this 100g tin was always better than fair in its heyday and the stout flakes held up very well if smoked whole or rubbed out. Tin aroma was sweet, but no topping here my friends. Excellent, clean, pure tobacco taste and the incredible amount of smoke would help you ascend into a trance like state of existence. Flavor, strength, aroma while burning was absolutely perfect for me, nutty, semi-sweet, cocoa, no other flake of this kind exists today, that's all inclusive folks. I must sincerely echo the wisdom espoused in this thread and request that someone with the knowledge to reproduce this tobacco stand forward and earn the support I know reiteration of this flake would engender. HGIOG

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Is there any Virginia in this?

I always thought of it as a burley blend: sun-cured Tennessee and fire-cured Kentucky, elegantly married in a beautifully elaborated flake. It has been topped with some English-style Earl Grey Tea scent.

The flavour has always seemed a bit bland to me, indeed in the Baren Navy Flake family, although the topping here is more definite, and the Kentucky gives it a mild kick which the Baren lacks totally. I am surprised some people were bitten by this: a most unBurley thing to do.

Although not a burley fancier, I cannot condemn such a beautifully worked, mild flake, and I must say that I do appreciate a blend like this when I have a cold. Nice tin, too.

An old American classic.

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)

A friend acquired some old Edgeworth Sliced and graciously offered me a sample. How could I refuse?

I am a collector of Dr Grabow pipes, so this is a special treat for me. You see, many years ago, Dr Grabow pipes were "pre smoked." That is, the factory actually put the pipes in a machine that sucked air through the airway, filled the pipe with tobacco, lit it, and let the machine smoke a full bowl out of the pipe before the pipe was packaged up for sale. This was supposed to break in the pipe so that the smoker would have a "ready to smoke, no break in needed" pipe right put of the package. I can't say whether this actually worked as advertised, but it probably helped out sales a bit at least. Anyway - the tobacco they used was Edgeworth.

Naturally, I felt compelled to smoke this well aged weed out of a Dr Grabow pipe, so I chose my blond Big Pipe billiard for the occasion...one of my favorite pipes. Purist Dr Grabow collectors will argue that the Big Pipe isn't a "real" Dr Grabow.....but I digress.

Edgeworth presents as neat and clean flakes. Very dark, almost black (no doubt due to the age...20 or 30 years or so?) with a little lighter marbling. I lightly broke up one flake into the bottom of the pipe, and fully rubbed out another half flake to top it off.

It lights up easily with two matches, and behaves relatively well in the pipe throughout the smoke. I couldn't wait one second to smoke this, but I think I might let my next bowl dry a bit first. It's not super wet, but it is wetter than one would expect, considering its age.

The flavor is not quite what I expected. This stuff is straight burley, right? Burley is up front....rich, nutty, tobacco. I also get some straw/hay that tastes almost like a young Virginia. There's a hint of sweet....not a Virginia sweet exactly....maybe there's a light topping? The sweetness is rich and dark, sort of a molasses, and it becomes more pronounced as I get further down the bowl.

Fantastic.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow Big Pipe

Age When Smoked: ~25 years

Purchased From: gift

From a very old sample, likely ca. 1949, this needed a bit of rehydration. On the one hand, I can agree with those who found this a deep, rich smoke, reminding more than a little of unsweetened molasses. Unfortunately, no matter how gently I smoked it, it bit like a great white shark. Without that extreme bite, I would have rated it a 4 star, but with it, I had to downgrade it quite a bit.

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (33)

First bowl review of the Lane version of Edgeworth Sliced: This is a gorgeously packaged flake tobacco. I like how they are neatly lined up in the tin. The tin aroma is slightly sweet and fruity, a sign of things to come. The flakes rub out easily. No drying time required here, perhaps from age(not sure how old the Lane era tins are). The tobacco lights right up after 1-2 charring lights. Throughout the thoroughly enjoyable smoke, the elegant classic tobacco flavor takes a backseat to a rotund mouthwatering fruitiness that develops. No tongue bite, smokes cool and dry. It has such a sweet fruity character, there is a debate over whether this is flavored or not(some say molasses?). I wish I knew for sure, I find it hard to believe this tobacco could carry such a flavor naturally. Indeed it would be some kind of magic if it was indeed untainted by some topping/casing.

Overall: Very enjoyable. Early impressions are good on this one, although i consider myself a non-aromatic smoker and am somewhat disappointed that this may be indeed flavored.

I also have a tin of the original Larus Bro&Co I am saving for a special occasion.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I am smoking a bowl of this elegant tobacco while I am writing this review. My first thought is whomever made the decision to drop this wonderful blend from being made anymore should be taken out and waterboarded over and over again! Why would nayone that loves pipe smoking and has a sane brain cell want to discontinue this nector? I love this blend, I think it is the ultimate burley produced. It has a sweet and fresh honey like aroma in the tin or baggie in my case and is composed of slices or flakes of a beautiful medium brown tobacco. It just looks rich and tasty. I have tried it fresh and undried and also dried and both ways it is just a great smoke. I prefer it fresh, it is then a wonderful flake to be rolled up and put into the pipe and once lit, it becomes a nice slow burner with the oatmeal/honey taste with a rich and creamy taste that is just a joy to relax with. Dry it is much faster burning but has all the same charactoristics. It burns very dry and stays consistant all the way down the bowl to a dry grey ash with little dottle. They should bring this one back! For any burley lover it is just mana from heaven. What a shame it is no longer with us, but if you can find it, I very highly recommend trying it as you will have smoked the best burley has to offer.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This stuff is the real deal. It joins the ranks of great, hot-weather baccy's with the likes of Macbaren Nave Flake, and Orlick's Golden slices. Unlike the others I detected absolutely no flavoring at all. Just buttery, rich burley. This burned cool and went down great with an ice cold mug of Budweiser, while sitting in the porch shade on a 98 degree day. In a corn cob of course! Can't get much more American than this. The taste isn't terribly complex, and yet I haven't gotten bored with this stuff yet. I guess good old fashioned, unadulterated tobacco still goes a long way! By the way, this has some decent nicotene content as well.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This is a strange flake indeed. Upon opening the tin, it smelled like Va... I'm normally not into pure burley, but this one had a nice smoothness and coolness to it. The typical earthy and nutty undertones which is typical of these blends are complimented with a thick, sweet and full taste. Maybe due to an extra long maturing process?

If you are a beginner in the world of pure burley blends, this one may be a good approach, but watch out! It can make your head spin if you puff it too hard!

I cannot smoke this every day, but when i need something strong and different from my usual Va-flakes, this is the one i return to.. An all-time classic..

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

This is a beautiful burly flake with a light sweetener. I keep this on hand and smoke it for two reasons: 1. It provides the unadulterated taste of extraordinarily good burly; and 2. It is probably the best tobacco for me when breaking in a new pipe (along with Mac Baren Symphony). Both build an excellent cake quickly, and the strong burly flavor provides satisfaction while nursing a new briar. Highly recommended. Paddy.

In my opinion this is a medium to strong burley, with a marked grassy undertone, difficult to smoke. It is a very popular brand. I have tried the flake version a number of times. Personally, it is not the type of tobacco I like, but I do acknowledge the quality of the blend. I find the flakes difficult to rub out and to pack. They are rather stiff, as if glued together by some kind of dried resin. It is a flavoursome smoke, but I find it a bit dry and hot and a number of times I have felt it has scalded my tongue.

Pure Burley has always seem to me a difficult weed to deal with. I very much like Larsen?s Kentucky Gold, Pease?s Barbary Coast, and every now and then Haunted Bookshop or even Prince Albert. ES, I believe, is better than the latter but not as good as the former. Not a bad room aroma, it is a smoke I enjoy with a bit of bourbon, as a change of pace regarding Va. or English mixtures.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Beautifully cut slices of mostly Burley, with some Va. and just a tad of topping. A whole word different in effect from Ready Rubbed, much more refined in character. Could be compared to MacBaren Navy Flake, although the Edgeworth has more Burley, and IMHO, burns cooler.

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I found this a rich smooth tobacco that made lots of smoke and burned down to dry white ash. Some reviewers stated an intense molasses taste but I find it more of a warm shoefly pie taste... if one can imagine that.. When I first lit the tobacco I noticed what I thought was tongue bite but after a few puffs and no bite.. it must have been something in the blend, it wasn't a turn-off .. just something I noticed and forgot about while smoking. I am heart broken because the pipe I used had a HUGE bowl and the sample I had barely filled it.. sigh...

Pipe Used: cherry wood freehand

Age When Smoked: Very Vintage

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: Nothing I know.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

The flavor engages all the tastebuds at once and provides a smoky and flavorful burley-forward blend. The best burley I've tasted. Complex and easy at the same time, what a paradox. I like the way the flavor gets right under your tongue but does not neglect the palate. I agree with an earlier reviewer: what were they thinking when they discontinued this blend?? I would pay extra for this one.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Edgeworth Sliced has been on the American market for over 10 years. Such a brand consistency say, to me, that there is some real success here. The blend is a burley, made of both Tennessee and Kentucky burleys leaf. The tobacco comes in a nice presentation; a nice, mottled flake which is mostly a medium brown with flecks of lighter and darker color. The aroma is nutty with a note of sweetness to it. The slices lend themselves well to being balled up and stuffed into a pipe rather than being rubbed out. Each time I first light a bowl of this tobacco I ask myself why. To me, both the charring light and the early flavor is harsh, and filled with tongue-bite demons. However, this smooths out after perhaps five to ten puffs. Once settled, the nutty flavor and subtle, edgy sweetness of the burley comes through. Deeper into the bowl the flavor is downright creamy and smooth, with the nutty overtones playing softly with an undertone of sweetness almost surprising for a burley blend. The smoke can sour is overpuffed, so smoke this one slowly and easily. The smoker should be cautioned that, like other burleys, this one has a high nicotine content. In addition to the sourness noted previously, heavy puffing will cause a nicotine high, which, to me, is rather unpleasant. However, this is avoided by a gentle smoke. In my opinion there are better burley blends. MacBaren's Navy Flake comes immediately to mind.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)

edgeworth sliced was very good, alot better than it's ready rubbed blend or it's cavendish blend, wessex burley sliced is pretty darn close, solani burley flake was a disapointment, go with wessex!

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant

Has anyone noticed the older you get the more things seem to vanish? Has anyone else noticed it is almost always the good high quality things that seem go first? Nowhere has this been more true than with pipe tobaccos. Remember Bell's Three-Nuns; Dunhill amd now Edgeworth? At the same time there has been an explosion of high quality pipes from the best artisans to ever grace the face of the Earth. One of my favorites was Bill Taylor, the man behind Ashton pipes. We lost him this past September. He figured out how to make a trditional English pipe to as close to perfect as we will ever see. The best that could ever be said is so and so is almost as good as Bill was. No one will ever exceede him. The good news is there are plenty of young carvers out there like Lasse Skovgaard. This young man will make you a custum very high grade pipe to your specs at a very reasonable price. Heck, he will even stamp your name on it if you like. I bought three such pipes from him that I designed and he brought to life.

The thing is, I have all these wonderful pipes and am running out of choices to fill them with. Plenty of pipes and ever decreasing supplies of my favorite blends of which Edgeworth was my everyday tobacco of choice. To those who facy burley, you'd be hard pressed to find a blend as good as Edgeworth.

If anyone knows of a true substitute, please let me know. I have one tin left and dare not open it. For if I do I will have to come face to face with the fact that I will never partake of such a wonderful blend again.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I certainly bemoan the loss of Edgeworth Sliced. A true benchmark for Burley flakes. I still have some left - about enough for a half dozen medium sized bowls - from a tin I purchased a good 20 years ago! It hasn't held together as slices any more, more of a crumbled flake, but boy is it ever so good! I remember when I first smoked it I found it very strong and a bit dizzying. It took me by surprise as I wasn't prepared for its strength of character. Originally, I bought it thinking it was the same as Edgeworth Ready Rubbed (which I enjoyed and presently only remember its wonderful room note) and found out it was ERR's more mature, street smart relative. Basically forgot about it but decided to revisit it after all this time after reading the reviews on this site. My sample was taken from its tin long ago and re-hydrated in a thick zip lock since it was very dried out. I put it away and promptly forgot about it. That was maybe 10 years ago. The sample in the zip lock was dry to the touch, but not at all decomposed to dust. There was little aroma emanating from the bag. Upon first light, however, it woke up from its deep slumber. There was a slight, soapy taste that immediately brought back memories of old. I dislike any Lakeland-type essence, but this soapy presence with Edgeworth, in my opinion, was part of the appeal. A beautifully stout, spicy, yet sweet taste immediately overwhelmed my palate. It is such a shame that this is no longer being produced. The taste is spicy rich and very full flavored - chocolaty even. I don't know if chocolate was ever added by the blenders (I believe it was said to have been molasses), or perhaps it is the chocolate-like flavor of good Burley (made better with age), but it is delicious.

I will ultimately finish what little I have remaining. I will spread it out over time and most likely savor it in smaller bowled pipes to stretch it as far as enjoyably possible. I take this over Mac's Navy Flake and Peterson's University Flake in a heart beat! If you can come by any, don't hesitate on it - grab it up! ...what a smoke...what a pity.....

UPDATE 4-19-10: I just purchased and received an unopened tin of ES from our fellow piper pipestud's consignment shop. I couldn't wait to open it and I am on my second bowl (2 flakes each) as I write this update. First off, the label on the tin had the Lane Ltd. distribution seal and atop it, a price label that read $16.95. There was another price label beneath it but I couldn't peel away the first to see the price. I am suspecting from the price label that this was from the time of this tobacco's last run before being discontinued (maybe 5-6yrs old?). The beautiful flakes were well packaged within a nice plastic bag wrapping and they were as pliable as if just produced. The tin aroma was nearly identical to Wessex Burley Slice (there was a light, "alcohol-soaked citrus" smell which only translated into the first several puffs upon lighting) and after smoking my 2 bowls, nearly identical in taste. There is also a much more pronounced nicotine kick with this tin of ES, similar to what I first experienced with this blend. As I stated in my original review, I bemoan the loss of Edgeworth Sliced. I would have to agree, however, with the Wessex claim that theirs is "the" substitute for ES (but in my opinion closer to the Richmond original than the Lane version manufactured by Orlik, and therefore, making WBS much better overall) - a claim I am quite happy about! Although Wessex Burley Slice is more reminiscent of the old ES from Larus Bros., and favored by me over the Orlik/Lane version, the Orlik/Lane version is quite good and recommended, however, Aged Burley Flake is by far a superior Burley and favored over ES and BS.

UPDATE 7-20-10: I noticed a while back that ES was listed on Orlik's website (st-group.com) as one of their manufactured tobacco brands. I contacted the company as to its availability in the USA. I received a reply stating that it was being pulled from production as it was only manufactured for distribution in Denmark and its sales were not high enough to justify its continued production. I noticed shortly thereafter that its listing was removed from their product range. I wrote back stating that its sales would most certainly skyrocket if re-introduced to the USA, but I have yet to hear back from Orlik concerning this.

UPDATE 9-29-10: Still no reply from Orlik - I didn't really expect one. Something I would like to share, however. Coming home this evening after teaching, I decided to mix some Solani Aged Burley Flake and Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. It was a 50/50 mix, folded and stuffed into a bent group 4 Dunhill Cumberland. After the first puff, I would have sworn I loaded some Edgeworth Sliced instead! This has been the closest to the taste of the ES of old that I remember - even closer than Wessex Burley Slice (which is a very close match). It has the spiciness that the original ES had (so does WBS) but without the harshness that is sometimes present with WBS. Try it, you might like it!

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Why on earth did they quit making this stuff. It was good quality and I always kept a tin around because it was handy to carry around and provided a good burley smoke. I smoked the Edgeworth made in Richmond - not the English version.

Does anyone know of anything at all like this? I've been having cravings for it lately.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Gosh, I miss this! I only smoked a few tins, when the powers that be found out I liked it and immediately quit making it. Buttery, smooth, creamy, wonderful - what else can I say about my dear departed friend? Edgeworth Ready Rubbed is like a distant cousin. It was quite strong in nicotine for me, and the Burley was top shelf. If you ever get a chance to try this, and you love Burley, you will be delighted.

Disclaimer: I managed to pursaude a friend to sell me a couple of tins from his personal stash. These tins have at least 5 years of age on them. Also, this blend is no longer available by this manufacturer. I hope the new blender, Wessex, does this blend justice.

Appearnace and Tin Aroma: Beautiful golden brown to mohogany slices that are 1"x 4" in a rectangular 100g. tin. the aroma is grassy-haylike typical of burley, and yet due to the age, some fig notes are also apparent. I think i smell a bit of molasses?

Packing and Lighting: I experimented with different ways to pack and settled on the fold and stuff method similar to MacBaren's. Rubbing it out seemed to make it lose density in the smoke as well as lose the earthiness of flavor that I like so much. Since my tins are aged, they seemed not to need any drying before packing. 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: The earthy, grassiness of Burley is in the forefront. Va is firmly there too, but mainly as support.

Mid-Bowl: This is Burley nirvana! Smooth, nutty, sweet, earthy, etc...

Bottom of Bowl: If smoked too quickly, it can get a little bitter. If smoked gently, aaahhh, delicious to the last puff with a nice gentle, but firm, build up in strength.

Overall: If you are a burley lover as I am, this blend is a classic! It is much easier to get a consistent delicious ride as opposed to cubed burley or even ribbon burley. The age also helps considerably. There is nicotine strength in this blend, so eat well before smoking. Even though I still smoke Balkans and Fuller English blends as my regular staple, this blend satisfies quite nicely and is generally my mid-morning smoke. The room aroma is tolerable as well. My only hope is that wessex will not hurt this blend, as they have taken this classic over. Meanwhile, I have to figure out a way to snag some more tins of the original before they become just a memory! Enjoy...

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (60)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

At first glance, it seemed to be some well aged, slightly oily leaf, mahongany in colour. Very little noticable casing and a subdued aroma, somehwat like the pages of an old book.

I had high hopes for this blend, as I seem to enjoy burley in many of the blends in the rotation. However, I was disappointed in the bland, colourless flavour and aroma. It tasted like smoking some unidentified cellulose found by the roadside-- maybe a shard of an old wagon wheel. Maybe it was my particular tin, but I can not recommend this as blend to seek out.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)

Without a doubt my favorite Burley. An absolute classic that every pipester should try if they can. The other reviewers here have done a fine job describing this excellent weed. I am hording 15 tins of this and will open maybe 1 per year. This is my desert island smoke!

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Here is another example of a burley product that is just not flavored enough. A flavored flake of burley with a touch of dark fired leaf, a classic "Navy" tobacco in ingredients and presentation. The flavor though really is very flat. The dark fired leaf can be sensed in smell and slightly in the smoke but other than that extremely bland. Despite this it seems to be rather adequately cased (possibly with molasses)to the degree it impedes the burn a little. To the point this would be much better if the flavoring was made more concentrated but used less of with more sweetness to round out the flavor. As it stands I just can't enjoy this tobacco.

- Not recommended

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Another great burley whose flakes have great presentation in the gold foil and light blue tin but ES is not for the faint of heart. ES is the strongest burley blend I have smoked to date and, for me, it gushed plumes of blue and gray smoke that must have been reminiscent of the ?Donora Death Fog.? The sweetness and nuttiness are there but it is more of a heady smoke than a sweet smoke and, IMO, is best enjoyed after a full, heavy meal. Popeye would love this stuff!

I rate this tobacco 9.85 out of 10

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (40)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been smoking this blend for over a year now so I think it's high time I wrote a brief review of it. Edgeworth Sliced is my favorite Burley. This is not a smoke for the beginner or the aromatic smoker...this is a real man's tobacco! Big thick pungent leathery slabs of dark brown high-grade Burley all wrapped up in gold foil. The slices are on the moist side, a bit sticky and very pliable. They rub out great and fold very well. One slice folded twice seems to make a perfect fit into most pipes.

The flavor starts out sweet and grassy. Slow burning and requires very little relights. Smokes down to a fine white ash. The strength increases as the bowl winds down yet never loses it's sweetness. The nicotine content is quite high and smoking this on an empty stomach may cause a head rush and upset stomach.

I like a bowl of this with fresh coffee every night after dinner. One folded flake in a standard billiard can last up to two hours of nice cool smoking pleasure.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

What a genius! I didn't even know this was Burley. Tastes like most other sliced tobaccos. If folded and smoked slowly it smokes full flavored and a long time! An excellent if somewhat uniform smoke.

10/23/04: My tin has really dried up over time. The tin being a press-on lid doesn't seal very well. This still smokes very well even bone dry. A very fine Burley. Very smooth, mild flavor and plenty of kick. Not an all-dayer by any means but really good when desirous of some nice Burley.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Usually the equation classic stuff=good stuff is true. OK, recently we had some downhill decline for some legendary names (Three Nuns, Capstan and most Dunhills come to mind), but sometimes you can still have a taste of the old staples. Edgeworth Sliced is one of them! This is simple, unpretentious, good and honest pipe tobacco: a burley flake (with maybe a bit of Virginia) that never disappoints, and which is fine either for casual or contemplative smoking. The 100g tin contains an attractive array of flakes which can be easily packed folded or rubbed out, according to your taste. The smell is nutty, with traces of hay, perfectly natural (no honey topping a-la-MacBaren, luckily). Once lit, the tobacco burns cool and regularly: even if hasted, it never bites and rarely becomes bitter. You always get a satisfying nutty, earthy taste: it's not excessively robust, but it's great as a medium smoke. No harsh edges, just plain smooth traditional burley: earthy, meaty, rustic and old fashioned, but not unrefined. It is not as sweet as Mac Baren's Navy Flake (but the true taste of burley comes out better because of this), and not as sweet, filling and rich as GLPease Barbary Coast (which I find even better: the difference between a honest traditional tobacco and a masterpiece made by a modern master). Anyway, there are days in which I could smoke tons of this tobacco, with just a bowl of Balkan for variety. Ah, and it leaves your pipe perfectly natural: no stale smell, no goop, just ash. Perfect as a "diet" for pipes which have seen too many aromatics or high sugar Virginias!

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (18)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Tolerable

Really wavered on the review to give to this one. I really love the stuff, and it's become part of a ritual with the morning coffee on the am commute to school.

Problem is, for me it's undescribable. It's dark, intense, voluminously smoke-producing and otherwise utterly undefinable. Sometimes I think I taste pine needles and sometimes I don't taste anything but creamy smokiness.

I really encourage people to try this old fashioned blend. It's worth it

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I recieved a free sample of these slices from a far more seasoned pipe man when I bought my last new pipe. The sample was enough for 4 bowlfulls. The slices are visually very attractive, with a subtle tobacco aroma. I was personally quite surprised by the amount of nicotine strength in this blend, and was pleased by the relaxing effect that smoking provided. The smoke itself, however, was quite dull. I enjoyed the flavor, but lost interest after about the halfway point down the bowl. I did not taste a nuttiness from the burley, but instead a creamy almost butter flavor. Toward the end this became quite sour for me, and the last third of the bowl was very unpleasant. This will bite if one does not respect it, but if smoked slowly bite was never a problem for me. I may, in the future, purchase some of this, but I'm not in any hurry.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Tin Aroma: This has the clean and bright aroma of a virginia flake. It reminds me of Full Virginia Flake in aroma. there is little to no burley scent.

Physical Characteristics: 4" long, wide flakes that come pretty moist. They rub out nicely if allowed to dry out a bit before smoking, but I prefer to fold them over on themselves and roll them up for smoking. I am always taken with how pretty the swirls of different colored tobaccos are in the cross section of this blend. This is, aesthetically, a very pleasing blend. The packing is easier than one would expect from a flake, and the burn is smooth and even, leaving a light grey ash.

Notes: upon first light there is a pleasant amalgamation of virginia and burley flavors. The virginias shrink away pretty quickly though, leaving a very creamy, nutty burley flavor. The stoved virginias lend the burley some heft, which is a charge that is often levelled at burley blends; they lack body. I have always though that what Burley lacked in body, it made up for in cool subtlety, but if you have always thought burley was 'thin', you ought to try this blend and see what it is like. About one third of the way through the bowl, an earthy taste/sensation begins that I can only find a corollary to in cigars. I have not yet encountered another pipe tobacco that develops this attribute, but it would probably make this a good blend for those pipe smokers who come from the ranks of cigar smokers. This cigar-like quality persists for the rest of the smoke. I find this flake to be an excellent hot weather smoke, both indoors and out. I tend not to smoke much of it during the cooler months, but I sure go through it in the summer. This is a high nicotine blend, and can give the unwary quite a little buzz. It will also bite the crap out of you if you are not careful. Do not be fooled by the burley taste and gleefully puff away like a steam train, as you do with your bulk ribbon burley. There is plenty of stoved virginia in here, just waiting for it's chance to bite you.