The tin label states, in part, the following:

"...The year 1903 also heralded the beginning of world-famous Edgeworth Pipe Tobacco first blended in Richmond from the finest Burleys on the market.

"Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed is made of the finest Kentucky and Tennessee White Burley tobaccos, carefully selected and aged to give the coolest smoke possible. To these tobaccos, the master blender adds precise ingredients that have remained secret even today, to give Edgeworth its incomparable taste and aroma..."

Notes: Formerly Larus & Bro. Co. (1903), last produced by Lane Limited.

BrandLane Limited
Packaging50 grams pouch, 14 ounce tin
Strength
Taste

3.2

I've smoked generous samples of ERR in every single decade from the 1940s though the last year of production in 2010, and the flavor was very consistent in every instance. The burleys provide a bit of nuts and deep molasses with a little cocoa, and a slight sharp wood note from the white burley. The nic-hit is mild. No chance of bite or harshness. Burns slightly slow,cool, clean and even with a smooth, consistent flavor from start to finish. Needs a few relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste. An all day smoke that doesn't wear out its welcome.

Now that I can compare this to the Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match from Sutliff, I realize the Match is very close to the original. The original has a little fuller, deeper taste, and has more cubes than tobacco flecks, but those are the only differences I could spot. It'll sure do you if you miss the original.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

If this review was a horse race, then Edgeworth Ready Rubbed would be in a photo finish for first with Carter Hall regarding my "drug store" tobacco preferences.

ERR is a cubed Burley that also contains a smidgen of Virginia. Due to the cut it is a slower burner than Carter Hall or most other ribbon or broad cut Burley tobacco blends. The taste is all tobacco, but with a subtle sweetness that doesn't go away as the leaf is consumed.

I particularly liked the nicotine hit and the no bite quality of the smoke. The room note is very pleasant with a lightness that does not linger.

So, if you like:

an easy to pack Burley with a hint of Virginia...

a nicotine punch...

a cool burn...

is just a tad on the sweet side...

try Edgeworth Ready Rubbed.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)

I was never a regular ERR smoker during the overlap between me smoking pipes and it being in production. The first time I tried it was in a cob that I picked up alongside a dried out pouch of ERR while traveling for work. I vaguely remember that it tasted kind of coarse. I only smoked a few bowls from that pouch before either forgetting or abandoning it in a hotel room or rental car. It wasn’t memorable.

Fast forward about a decade and ERR was out of production (July, 2008 is, I believe the “official” date of its demise). Its disappearance roughly coincided with my discovery of the wonderful Burleys blended at Cornell & Diehl by OTC scholar Bob Runowski. I began to read some of Runowski’s reviews and really enjoyed his commentaries on a wide variety of 20th century American blends. In his comments, he regularly revealed his special affection for one particular tobacco: Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. If the blender of Epiphany and Old Joe Krantz thought it was so good, then I vowed to pick up a tub (not a pouch) if I ever came across it again. And so I did. Several tubs.

When ERR is working for me, I think it’s a truly outstanding blend. The brown chunks in the tub offer a beautiful aroma of cocoa, bread pudding, molasses, and perhaps a hint of dark rum. The cut is chunky and uneven and I often rub it out a little because it can be a little difficult to light otherwise. Once it’s going, ERR is a simple, clean smoke. It’s not complex—just a lightly sweet, nicotine-rich experience with flavors of black tea, toast, molasses, and a hint of chocolate.

Early on, I didn’t find every bowl of ERR to be particularly fine. For some reason, every once in a while I’d get some unpleasant, sour flavors and I’d think the batch had begun to decline. But the next bowl would be great again. It was probably ghosts or mood or I don’t know what. Nowadays, I smoke my ERR exclusively in a batch of old Grabows—the prince and author shapes especially—and I find it consistently wonderful.

I don’t want it to seem like I think ERR is the greatest thing that ever has been or ever will be produced. I sometimes feel like punching the pipe gurus who like to wax rhapsodic about the lost blends that I’ll never smoke, and I don’t want to get punched. ERR is a wonderful OTC, but so is Sir Walter Raleigh (a blend with some similarity to ERR). So is Kentucky Club Continental Blend, a Burley quite different from ERR, but equally enjoyable for me. So are some of the excellent Burleys from traditional shops like Peretti’s, Uhle’s, and Iwan Ries.

It’s sad that ERR now sings the out-of-production blues. It’s only been gone for 5 years but the madness has already set in. Rarity can make praise disproportionate to quality. Prices for sealed tins are hitting three digits. Copies or “match” tobaccos are now in production. I hope it comes back on the market, because it’s a wonderful, simple tobacco. Cross your fingers.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My first question after smoking a bowl of this magnificent blend is "who was the genius that decided to drop this from the line up?" This person should be in a line-up as this is one fine blend. I have not reviewed this one as I had not smoked it for years, since back when I did not do reviews as it was pre internet. This one needs to come back and put in fine tobacco stores and internet venders. It will sell in this age of learned pipe smokers!

Any way, rant over but I must say, this blend is the King of Burley OTC's, it is just flat good, does not bite at all, the cube cut which I normally find hard to lite and keep lit, was easy to light and it stayed lit well, burning down to a nice fluffy greay ash in the bottom of my pipe. Very little if any dottle. Why I did not smoke this while I could will be a regret I will walk around with for a long time. This blend smokes smooth, really smooth, creamy and with a nutty good flavor that just made me smile. I smoked three bowls back to back and was ready for more. This was gifted to me to review, so came in a baggie from a tub. It is all a rich medium brown leaf, cube cut but aith vsome moisture to it from being pressed, and not dry like a lot of cube cuts. One must like burley and I do, and if so this will satisfy. It has a very nice room note that reflects a touch of rum though I do not taste it. It has some Vit N but will not make your head spin. Great with a cup of coffee. If this were still available I would buy tubs of the stuff! It's that good. I am grateful to have had the chance to try it again and I now clearly understand why so many mourn it's loss. Highly recommended!

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (83)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I bought this one recently bc I wanted a pipe and had none. It was sitting in a humidor case and the only reason I bought it was it said ready rubbed on the package. I figured it should be good, it's a ready rubbed flake. The pouches had dust on them in the case haha. It is good btw, and I really like it. So much I went back and bought the rest in the store. Only 4 pouches, and the guy says he can't get any more. Some old guy used to buy it there and he died or something. He said it was part of the stock when he bought the store years ago.

So anyway, it's a pretty straight forward blend to my taste. Good cut to it. It loads, smokes and burns nice and easy. It has a good straight tobacco taste to it and something else very mild I can't define. Unfortunately it's out of production and may never be back. It's too bad really.

Pipe Used: Cobs and dunhill billiard

Age When Smoked: God knows. Old.

Purchased From: Local b&m

I was fortunate enough to be gifted 8 oz of this and then to find someone willing to trade a tin for some things from my cellar. It cost a fair bit but I still feel like I got the better end of the deal!

Larus created this blend to be an all-day smoke with a spicy nuttiness but not overly flavorful... a nice "set it and forget it" tobacco, with no bite and that is cool burning. They succeeded in spades. There is just enough virginia here to create some zest but the predominate flavor is the toasted oatiness of the burley. I could not make this stuff bite, although more forceful puffing did open up the bitters. Very easy on the tongue with a light but satisfying flavor. The cube cut gave me no problems with lights or relights. So far in my experimentation, this is the finest OTC burley I've found. Naturally it's no longer in production. But if you can find some, buy it. As others have said, if and when it comes back, it likely won't taste as before.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

In the name of God and everything holy, would someone please start producing this wonderful weed again... Just as it was, of course.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)

I would review it but it aint being made anymore and when it shows up again it'll more than likely be different.I love burley and this blend rocked.I miss it . Seems like theres alot of blends leaving us lately . This was one of the great blends

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

ERR is one of the best drugstore blends, only second to Walnut in my book. This is your typical drugstore burley with the addition of significant amounts of Kentucky and Virginia, which makes it a bit more complex and well balanced.

ERR is also unique in that it's the pipe tobacco that most resembles a cigarette's taste, so I'd recommend it as an introduction to the pipe world to anyone who just quit smoking, if it wasn't for tongue bite. Most drugstore blends are horrid tongue biters, thou, so nothing to blame to this one in particular.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Everything started off good, the pouch aroma was great(although i couldnt detect jamaican rum)The cut i found intesting and thought it packed rather well. Now heres where things went wrong!It burned rather hot and left me with a sore tounge and mouth. I couldnt taste the topping as described, and didnt enjoy it at all.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a blend greatly missed. The blend is a burley base cased with molasses.When I first bought this I thought it smelled like honey, but later found out that it was molasses. I loved this blend and buy blends to try and match it.I heard that Lane re released it under another name.I hope to try it soon.

Pipe Used: briar meershaum

Purchased From: Tobacco Row smoke shop

Similar Blends: n.a..

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was lucky enough to secure a couple of boxes of this from the 70's for not too obscene an amount from ebay. I just recently finished the first one. I am estimating its age as it was not listed; however, a card inside the box was bragging on how it won some award in 1971. I can't imagine this would remain too relevant for too many years after this so I am going with early 70's.

As it came in a box that looked pretty beat up I was concerned about what I would encounter inside. What I found was the tobacco sealed in a foil bag that apparently held the tobacco together pretty well over its 40 years. It was dry, but not too dry. I gave it two nights in a Tupperware with the damp paper towel method for rehydrating and it worked fine.

Anyway, on to the tobacco itself. It was a pretty tasty tobacco, but nothing I would seek out, like say, VaPer three nuns. My only experience with anything like ERR would be the match made by sutliff. I found the topping to be better on the match, but found the ERR to have more of a burley backbone to it. The difference in topping could be due to the age of the ERR that I had. The topping is a slight anise taste. Slightly sweet like molasses. And there is definitely a rum presence.

Overall, I was not a big fan as I prefer my topped blends to have more body ala Cornell & Diehl or Gawith Hoggarth. As this was out of production before I started smoking a pipe I don't know how this was marketed, but I believe that this was an OTC blend back in the day. I would say that SWRA and Carter Hall can give one a similar flavor profile that actually may supercede what ERR delivers.

Remaining objective and realizing that 40 plus years may have effected what I was smoking I give this one 2 stars as I found it alright, but would suggest several other blends before dropping a lot of money on this one. In fact,y favorite bowl was my last bowl where I missed it with enough Mac Baren ODF to make a full bowl. lol There are just too many great tobaccos being made to waste time on this one. IMHO only.

Age When Smoked: 40+ years

Purchased From: ebay

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)

Every time a blend is discontinued, no matter how good or bad, it achieves legendary status. People will sing praises and write poetry about a blend that is lost, just like people actually appreciate an artist's work after he is dead.

If you are reading these reviews to determine whether or not you should spend the 25+ dollars on ebay to get a pouch of ERR then I advise you to save your money. ERR is NOT the holy grail of pipe tobacco people will lead you to believe. The same goes to Balkan Sobranie (both original and current incarnation)

ERR is a good tasty smoke, so I will give it 3 start because it is a good smoke, not because it was discontinued.

ERR is very similar to Sir Walter regular but a little sweeter, with a touch more of the cocoa flavor burleys tend to exhibit.

If ERR was your all time favorite blend and you want to hoard every pouch or tin you can find, then by all means do so. If you have never tried it and want to smoke it because people told you you will get an orgasm in your mouth, forget it. Great blend but not worth 25 bucks a pouch.

There are plenty of fish in the ocean, try them instead.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (44)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Perhaps one of the best old US "drug store" tobaccos if I may. Ostensibly it's pure cube cut white burley which appears to have been lightly roasted. The flavour is unlike the famed Edgeworth Sliced, being a sort of light chocolately/caramelly flavour that wonderfully complements the nuttiness of the neutral burley. However, the problem with this potentially great tobacco is consistency. One tin was superb, the next poor, not even tasting the same. I'll stick with the good batch. Cool, smooth smoke with not a hit of tongue bite and none of the bitterness many burleys are renowned for when approaching the bottom of the bowl. This is one I could actually smoke all day and not tire of. Amazingly this (the good batch) is one of my top 10 best tobaccos.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with the last post about the good one's leaving. I still have a whole tin of this in my stock.

Another fine old Burley of the likes of Granger,and Kentucky Club, though I always liked Edgeworth better than the previous two. Cube cut granules that unravel almost into a ribbon cut. This is Kentucky and Tennessee Burley, with just a very little Virginia thrown in, so as not to be one dimenional. The sweetener added is most likely molases instead of true Rum. Lights easy, nutty, sweet burley billows. Creamy, chocolatey nutty mild and delicious. Please bring this one back. It's a Burley smokers go to tobacco.

I'm smoking a really old sample pack. It was sealed, and is a tolerable smoke when sipped. These old burlies have kind of a winey taste. Halfway through the bowl, the bite went away (I was getting roasted at first, perhaps because the tobacco is super dry) and I got some nice flavors for an (old) OTC. I don't know what it was like fresh, but I can at least tolerate this, and neat to try a classic.

The two stars are for the overly-aged pack (not tin) I smoked, and this tobacco may well have been better. (or worse, how do I know?)

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)

I smoked a pouch of this decades ago. The one thing I remember about it is that it was unremarkable. It was similar to Sir Walter Raleigh. It was better than PA but not as good as Carter Hall. Not recommended.

I recently won a sealed, 14 oz tin of ERR off of ebay. Interestingly, the item was up for bid for a week and there was only one other bidder along with myself. It started off at $28 and some change and finally I won it for $53. A bit pricey, but I hadn't smoked it in years and since it is no longer produced, wanted to try it again. There was a flurry of activity within the last half hour of the bidding, but with only 3 minutes to go, the other fellow's guns fell silent and I won.

Upon opening the tin, the tobacco had the moisture consistency of what I would normally dry a fresh tin of this sort out to before smoking. It was a combination of rough/cube cut tobacco on the darker side of brown - darker than what I remember from years ago. The tin note had a delicious, fruity smelling - bordering on rum and chocolate - presence. My daughter said the tin aroma smelled like Fig Newton's. Considering I don't know how old this tin was, the tin note was very strong and fresh smelling. Packing and lighting were a breeze. The taste reminded me of Granger, but with less accompanying harshness and no palate burn. There was, however, a chemical taste that was ever present; similar to that found in Granger, detracting from the smoking experience - each and every time. See my review of Granger under the Half & Half listing if interested (TR glitch!).

At times I felt I could taste chocolate and a bit of molasses, however, they remained very much in the background. Although burning a bit hot, there was no bite to speak of, only a tingling to lips and the tip of the tongue. There was very minimal moisture and no goopy residue at the bowl's end; just a medium to dark grey ash. I found ERR to resemble similar Mac Baren's Golden Extra with regard to mildness in taste, but with way less body than Mac's. Although I prefer a fuller-bodied Burley, ERR would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't for the chemical taste. It does ruin the experience.

From what I remember, I feel the Larus Bros. version that I used to smoke regularly was better all around, and the Lane version a poor substitute for what was once a truly fine smoke. Overall, Lane's was a sweet smoking tobacco, but too mild of a Burley for my taste. I still enjoy the Edgeworth Sliced better as I enjoy the fuller taste that Burley can provide. Lil Brown Smoke Shack (lilbrown.com) has a ERR substitute on there web site under CCC Bulk blend and listed as Ready Rubbed. I emailed them for the particulars and was told that it is a substitute for ERR produced by Altadis. Their blend description is identical to the Lane description. I have yet to try it but I will do so in the hope that it is similar enough to be enjoyed as a good substitute.

This is not the same ERR of old. 4 stars for the Larus original, but only 2.5 for Lane's version. What I spent for this tin far outweighed my enjoyment of it. All in all, OK if you enjoy a pleasant, mild Burley tobacco.

UPDATE 7-21-10: After sitting in the tin for the past few months and drying out considerably, the chemical taste has reduced to a tolerable limit. But, after having smoked more fuller bodied/tastier Burleys, ERR is no bell ringer for me. For a codger Burley, I prefer Sir Walter Raleigh Regular over this.

UPDATE 12-12-11: Chemical taste totally gone and contents dried out considerably. The chocolatey notes are very apparent. I can only now highly recommend the Lane version of ERR - too bad it's a thing of the past excepting for the occasional tin on ebay. Thankfully SWR Regular (which I enjoy more) is still readily available.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of ERR. It is a cube cut which has a wonderful, natural burley aroma in the tin and when lit. The cube cut is nice for smoking outdoors as it burns slowly and stays in the pipe, but I find it more to my indoor smoking habits when rubbed out a bit. I did not detect any humectants; this stuff will dry out into a pebble-like state if left uncovered. It starts out smooth and mild with a generous volume of smoke. I found it got a bit harsh and ashy about 1/2 way down the bowl. I can see why this tobacco had a dedicated following for those wishing a very straightforward burley smoke at a low price. There are better burley tobaccos on the market nowadays than ERR, though (Haunted Bookshop, for instance). I will gift my tin to some dedicated ERR man who misses it, just send me an email.

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (23)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Sometimes things happen for a reason, like strolling through an Antique Store not expecting much as far as pipe tobacco. But then again those antique stores unviel gems from time to time. Spotting a paint can of Edgeworth RR wouldn't interest most. Finding it empty didnt surprise, but would seem the common course. Picking the can up, I realized that this was a Long lost OTC. I decided immediately that $14 wasnt bad for nostalgia. Looking back down at the table, there lay an unopened Pouch of Edgworth Ready Rubbed.( I'm not disclosing the price, some of you would puke) to buy or not to buy? The tobacco could be trash, but the price? Why not? Boy did I score. I mean I scored. 45+ year old tobacco, unopened? I got home, broke the seal, the tobacco was in fine condition. The dryness was like a brand new tin of C&D Haunted Bookshop. The leaf was dark mahogany, some tan thrown in, with the faint aroma of burley and topping. I Couldn't believe it. I need To inform, I'm not a fan of OTC's, the tobacco always comes across as cheap and tasteless. Not this stuff. This is what you always expected an old Codger Burley to taste like. Charter Hall tries to be ERR, no even in the same ballpark. Not even the same game.

The topping, for the most part, was gone. But there is a faint aroma of cocoa, rum, and molasses there. The tobacco is beautiful, earthy and spicy at times with the topping way in the background adding a pinch of sweetness on top of the exquisite Virginia's. Fairly good amount of nicotine. This is what an OTC should taste like. Damn this stuff is good. It's not complex, but would be a great all day companion. That's why I turned around and ordered some Sutlif Ready Rubbed. It's pretty damn close. Age it for 45 years and I wouldnt be surprised if it didn't taste the same. The topping on the match is what I would imagine ERR to be fresh. In other words, an all day companion found. Sometimes things do happen for a reason.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: 45+ Years

Purchased From: Antique Store

Similar Blends: Sutliff Ready Rubbed is a great match.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a cube cut relatively unadorned (by todays standards) burley. It burns cool with no bite - not to worry about artificial moisteners with this blend, there are none, it is bone dry. After nearly 40 years of wandering about the pipe tobacco universe I have come to the realization that my favorites are the traditional over the counter (codger if your prefer) burlies. Accordingly, this is among my favorites, and its passing will be mourned. Others have commented on finding notes of chocolate or rum flavoring and these indeed can be found on occasion. It burns cool with no bite. The pipe world is a poorer place with its demise.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I finally found a pouch in a shop appropriately named: TOBACCO.

I have been wanting to try this stuff for quite a long time. I started pipe smoking in 1989, and I have never found this stuff in Florida-until now.

I love rubbed out plug cut, cubed Burley, and that's precisely what this is.

Even dry as a bone, this smoked cool, and delivered a fine, nutty, grassy flavor, with hints of coffee and cocoa.

There is no art to packing or lighting this stuff. It is a completely unpretentious blend, and is a steady, reliable smoke.

I look forward to trying it in the can. Easily the best of the mass produced Burley blends. (And I have tried most of them...)

Addendum: Cup o' Joes has available an homage blend that to me is practically identical to the blend Conwood discontinued. I was skeptical, but I ordered 4 ounces to sample. When it showed up it looked right. It smelled right. It TASTES right. It may be the same stuff for all I know. I love it! Kudos to Altadis for maintaining this stuff for those who lament its tinned version passing...

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I haven't smoked Edgeworth RR in a long time, but there are many reasons why it has been around so long. I was reminded of this after ordering a tin and sampling it once again. I just wish they still packaged it in the wonderful tins of the turn of the last century and would love to see it in flake form once again. However the ready rubbed is nice, easy to pack, and perfect in moisture content.

This is a great tobacco of predominately high quality Burley and Virginia in a granulated cut. It is nutty and sweet. It never bites and is just wonderfully tasty. In fact, I like this better than G.L. Pease's Barbary Coast, which is a high quality and much more expensive Burley/Virginia blend in a similar cut. It burns beautifully, and is balanced in its flavor from top to bottom.

As I said, there are many good reasons why Edgeworth RR has been around for over a hundred years, and with a bowl of this wonderful tobacco one knows why.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

On my recent odyssey of burley tobaccos I happened upon this jewel. It's hard to believe that over the years I have passed over this time and again. The crumbly cut makes for an easy load with no tamping required (or recommended). A few lights to get it going and off we go...Edgeworth has the characteristic nutty, smooth taste of burley, but has an edge reminiscent of virginia. Smooth, cool smoking (if not pushed), good room note, and a nice level of nicotene, all make for a very enjoyable and relaxing smoke..Recommended.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Edgeworth was one of the first tobaccos I learned to love, more than 35 years ago. I suppose the ready-rubbed was around then, but the only cut available to me was the original slices--not the version on the market today. Back then, the slices were domestically-produced and in a celophane pouch with a baby-blue wrapper. And they were by far the best burley buy on the market.

Until yesterday, it had been some years since I smoked the Edgeworth RR offering from Lane Ltd. A rather interesting discovery got me to try another can.

This stuff is still a top-of-the-line burley, albeit one slightly changed from what I remember. It seems somehow diminished, though not enough to nullify its wonderful qualities. There simply is not (and never was) anything like it. The notes of other reviewers pretty well describe the taste and aroma. But no words can do justice to this tobacco's singular character. If one runs out of Edgeworth, Prince Albert is an acceptable "make-do"...and FAR less costly, too. Kentucky Club burley cube doesn't even come close.

Love it or leave it alone; Edgeworth RR is what it is... a substantial, earthy, straightforward, classic American tobacco.

I smoke burleys during the warm months and English/Balkan blends in fall and winter...as I have since 1971. If it works,don't fix it! If you can get a can of Edgeworth RR, grab it and enjoy!

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (29)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

My tub, which I just opened, is composed of rather large chunks reminding me of a krumble kake. In fact I have to rub this batch out before packing. The fragrance is slightly boozy with a hint of chocolate and hay. It appears to be very good quality leaf. I find the flavor to be a bit on the mild side for me, and I was expecting perhaps the leftovers from the production of the slices version, of which I was very fond. This would be a good tobacco for those who like mild burlies, and who have the patience to sip slowly to seek the flavors out. Unfortunatly I have to smoke outside or in the garage, so I tend toward stronger tobaccos. The ready rubbed version does not have the nicotine kick of the slices, if my memory serves. I will gladly finish the tub, but will try Wessex burley slices when this is gone. My wife says the room note smells faintly of chocolate. If you like this it is a great value. **Update 03/16/08- I have raised the nicotine strength to medium. I have smoked my way through 1/4 of the tub now, and am starting to appreciate the flavor more as well. The weather has warmed up here in MO and I have been able to really spend some time savoring this tobacco- I feel a nice nicotine buzz that I hadn't noticed when it was 15 degree's. Still a 3 star blend for me, but I am really liking this stuff.

Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not big on Burley or OTC blends but I read another bit of trivia about this that I will describe below. It piqued my interest so I picked up a pouch and have been working on it throughout the day. Not bad for an OTC blend. I find it smooth, a little sweet (perhaps the rum?) and overall rather pleasant. A little like Peretti's 333 or BPC blends but milder. Not bad. I usually end up not finishing many Burleys I try and they end up in the cabinet for a few months and then in the trash but I will definitely finish this pouch. Not sure if I will buy it regularly but if I am in a pinch, it won't disappoint me.

Oh, that bit of trivia- I recently read where the former dictator of the Soviet Union, Josef Stalin, loved smoking a pipe and Edgeworth was his favorite blend, but he had to hide that fact since it was an American tobacco. Hope that doesn't drive anyone away from it as it really isn't that bad, IMHO.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is one of those affordable "drugstore" blends that are actually better than most of the higher-priced "premium" mixtures (IMO, of course). It's similar to both Carter Hall and Prince Albert, although it has a darker and slightly sweeter taste. The cubed cut also makes a big difference in that it burns FAR more slowly than its counterparts. Like the aforementioned blends, Edgeworth RR is also an excellent tobacco for breaking in a pipe. There is a noticeable flavoring, but it's artfully applied.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)

(Update) I forced myself to smoke one last bowl of Edgeworth before tossing it in the trash. A strange thing happened. For the first time in my smoking experience I enjoyed a Burley blend. It had this familiar spiciness that I normally associate with Turkish blends, but magnified many times over. The sensation was so strong I nearly went into a fit of sneezing convulsions. Damn, it was amazing! I quickly smoked the remaining contents of my now empty years old pouch and rummaged through all my on hand blends seeking out anything with Burley. Subsequent bowls of Epiphany and Bow Legged Bear reshaped my relationship with the leaf. I suppose quitting cigarettes half a year ago had the effect of disassociating the leaf with my more regular memories, allowing me to finally appreciate the tobacco for something more than a quick nicotine fix. My next order of blends will consist of a broad sampling.

(Update) I'm taking down my recommendation again. This damned thing is still sitting in my drawer, and I don't have the heart to throw it out. I have realized over the past few years that I simply dislike Burley but can tolerate it in small proportions, like Epiphany, which in my estimation is the best Burley blend I have smoked. I know, I know, people hate it when you declare contempt for a genre and then proceed to write very nasty reviews. I tried, honestly!

(Update) It took me a while to appreciate this blend, but I've come around. I suppose I've adapted to the taste, which at one point seemed intolerable. My current opinion enjoys the straightforwardness of Edgeworth, and I upped the strength on my rating. I do like smoking this with a strong cup of dark coffee, or just before bed, as it seems to quell my desire for a smoke through the night rather well. My opinions may further change as I finish off my little pouch...it's too early to wrap this one up.

(3/12/07) I have a hard time with Burley, especially in big doses. Prince Albert and I simply hate each other, and a few of his friends too, I don't get along so well with either. I seem prone to mad Burley bite and a negligible nicotine hit. And that nutty taste that so many refer to simply reminds me of a cheap cigarette with a horrible aftertaste.

Ok, so obviously this review isn't going so well, and I apologize to all you dedicated fans that can't stand a dissenting opinion on your favored blends.

Listen, I read the pouch. I know this is "America's Finest Pipe Tobacco". I'm sure Greg Pease must be very angered to know this, and probably the folks over at C&D are wracking their brains in a futile attempt at serious competition. And I know many people have claimed this is some serious high quality Burley, of the most esteemed nature.

I just don't see it.

Maybe my dry as hell sample sat too long on the store shelf in that permeable yet elegant plastic pouch, but I doubt it. As a child, I vaguely recall the look of pet rabbit food while staring through an empty cage at some friend's house. "What does that stuff taste like," I wondered, while someone ran around a room chasing a poor frightened animal hopping about, dreaming of liberty. The beautiful lumpy granules that comprise Edgeworth brought back those repressed memories.

This is just a small step above the old Prince, in my opinion. For what it's worth, that won't stop you from smoking it.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a burley smoker and over the last several years have been trying, with varying degrees of success, to find what is for me the ideal burley blend. This tobacco is probably as close as I am going to get to the "perfect blend" for my use.

I ordered mine in a 14 oz tub. It came fresh and with just the right amount of moisture. Always takes three good charring lights/tamps but then it pretty much smokes itself. Smoked very slowly this has one of the nicest and most subtle flavors I've found. Cool, dry, no gurgle or sizzle. The cut allows a slow, steady burn that can't and shouldn't be rushed. Maybe theres some casing, but if present it's minimal to nonexistant. This is has a straightup tobacco taste that is very earthy and mellow. Recommended for it's simplicity, pleasant taste, ease of smoking and very reasonable cost.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Good basic burley tobacco, somewhere between Carter Hall and Kentucky Club. Pleasant aroma in the room as well as in the pouch. This has some flavor but it does not shine. I will finish the pouch but I won't be buying this again, as I feel that Kentucky Club is a much better burley overall.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

How much is an ?Edgeworth? and how much does a Steinway? In the case of the latter, it weighs a lot. In the case of the former, it is probably ?worth? something to burley lovers. A gravity fill of the fine cut cubes and a tamp or two and you?re off. I found ERR a wee bit harsh at first light probably due to its dryness (of my pouch). For me, it started off with pronounced hay/grass overtones but slowly evolved into a more nutty and welcome burley taste as I progressed down the bowl. I think there are very few people around who can accurately confirm that this is the same Edgeworth that was sold in earlier decades. Additionally, what Mother Nature produces on different acreage year to year is difficult to replicate exactly. To wit, tobacco doesn?t come off an assembly line. Regardless, for the here and now, this is a solid, hearty, classic, no-frills All-American burley blend for burley lovers.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.4 out of 10.

ErnieQ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ErnieQ (6)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Edgeworth is the epitome of good old fashioned American Burley. The cut is more "Chunky" than a cube cut, and there's really no way to pack it too tight. The tin aroma is of light Rum and chocolate with a distinct tobacco aroma wrapping it all together. A few extra puffs and it's lit just fine (Unlike many tobaccos of this cut) and it's perfect moisture level makes for an even burn.

Bittersweet nuttiness is the flavor from top to bottom, without the usual halfway mark degradation inherent with most American Burley Blends.

This has forever been my "Go To" smoke and I consider it good all day lomg. Highly Recommended.

I bought a pouch of this just for the review. It came very dry and with little scent. I used the gravity fill method and a light tamp when full. A little harsh at first puff due to the too-dry condition. Flavor and strength reminds me of the Edgeworth slices but not quite as rich. Remember, the slices were manufactured in Europe and the ready-rubbed is made by Lane,Inc. in the U.S. My pouch description makes no mention of Virginia tobacco at all, just light and dark Burleys. Also, this is not really a cube-cut tobacco although it is sort of a short shag cut. I am going to re-humidify this pouch and see if that richens the flavor a bit. If not, will make a good blender.

pipeinlefthand Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeinlefthand (4)

There is a sort of old time variety store near where I live that I sometimes go to and pick through an old stock of Dr. Grabow pipes. They have obviously been on the rack at least twenty years. Last time I was there, I inquired about pipe tobacco. After detecting my lack of interest in the usual blends one finds in such a store, the proprietor said "I have something to show you" and proceeded to pull from behind the counter an unopened can of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. Like the pipes, this can is at least twenty years old. It seems someone down on his luck brought in in and traded it for cigarette tobacco. $20 Canadian later I figured the can must be worth at least something. Upon peeling off the disposable metal lid I was greeted with an earthy-sweet mince-meat smell and a dark, cube cut leaf. I knew I was in for something interesting. It tastes pretty much like a burley with a dark spicy undertaste and is unlike anything else I have tried. I like the taste, it is earthy, but honestly find this a little harsh, even a filtered pipe didn't smooth it any. It also packs an incredible nicotine punch, and I spin for a few hours after just one bowl. It wasn't goopy, but it wasn't as dry as the age of the tin might suggest. Perhaps when the tin has been open awhile it will mellow. The can states it was "Made under authority of Larus & Brother Company Richmond, Virginia by The Pinkerton Tobacco Company, Owensboro, Kentucky". I understand it is now made by Lane, so I would be curious to try some of it's current incarnation. In the meantime, it's an interesting curiousity to share with fellow pipe smokers, if only to watch their eyes pop out from nicotine.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (52)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Burley is my favorite so its no suprise I like this one too. Much better class of burley in here as it seems to avoid that bitter end that plagues the other drug store blends. At one time this may have been the ready-rubbed version of the slices but I don't believe it is anymore. This is now a Lane product and still easily available unlike the slices version which has been discontinued. At anyrate its good, packs and burns good, doesn't bite, and will be hit hit with any burley fan. That said if you can find em get the slices!

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The so called tin description is not accurate plus this product has changed and been reformulated. I can't detect any fire cured or virgina in this blend, only rough cube cut burley with a gentle flavoring note. I have read this description elsewhere but think it is a "typo" from the manufacturer confusing it with Edgeworth Slices. This used to be large rough cut peices of leaf packed as a solid compressed block in the tin. It was more moist with a heavier and different aromatic flavor giving a more round and sweeter (not cloying) flavor with a cigar leaf-like note. I preferred the older version better, in fact I esteemed it to be one of the best and unique burley blend around. Today it is much drier and smokes more closely like Sir Walter Raleigh regular. I think Lane may have reformulated this to be more like the "sclices" version. All in all it is a pleasant blend that will be especially appreciated by "Burley Nuts" but has lost its distinction in my opinion.

-Recommended for burley fans

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Cube cut and random bits of nothing but Burley, with a little topping. One of my co-workers swore by it, and smoked nothing else his entire adult life. I love it as a change of pace, it is always cool and tasty, and can be puffed at slow to medium rate without biing. If you haven't tried it, you should. Just a nice nutty flavor.