From Pipes and Cigars website: Scotty's Salmon River is a great choice if you love all day types of burley blends, and especially if you enjoy the aroma and flavor of warm, sweet maple. This is a smooth and comforting blend that's perfect for a day with a line in the water.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Taste
J. Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Ward (31)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Salmon River is smooth and sweet, but not cloyingly so. This smoke is mild to medium in taste, packs well, lights well, smokes well, and won't bite. The flavor is predominately maple, yet one will also detect a bit of nuttiness from the burleys that form the base of this blend, albeit all other tobacco tastes are nigh to negligible. I agree with W.B., this is the burley based alternative to Autumn Evening. Despite the fact that this blend is rather one dimensional, I find it to be an honest, great tasting and satisfying aromatic. Recommended. 3.2 stars.

Pipe Used: Meeschaum lined briar

Similar Blends: Autumn Evening.

W.B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
W.B. (8)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

I am giving this blend three stars inasmuch as it really accomplishes the obvious goal of providing a Burley based alternative to Autumn Evening. It certainly does this and should be enjoyed by those who favor Burley based blends. To that end, it is similar in flavor profile to AE and may even be a bit more fulsome. I love everything about Maple and this certainly delivers a full (perhaps even too much) Maple flavor with, I detect, some vanilla as well. From my perspective, it is good but not as enjoyable as Autumn Evening which, I think, is in the pantheon of truly great aromatic pipe tobaccos. I prefer Virginia based blends to Burley blends and, as a result prefer AE. However, this is a very nice tobacco. The initial light is splendid indeed and full of maple flavor in a major fashion. I was immediately ready to place a large order. However, mid- bowl became a bit dull and very mouth drying (Burley blends do this to me). I was impressed, however, that a subsequent relight provided a nice experience to the bottom of the bowl. Were Autumn Evening to go away, I would certainly smoke this blend regularly. As it stands, however, I will probably buy some more but not as much as AE.....worth trying however...

Pipe Used: Castello brucianaso

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Autumn Evening.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (57)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I enjoy a good maple aromatic and this is one. Good handling, great taste, mild nicotine, and a super room note. An issue I had is that I found this tobacco to burn moderately hot. Not a big deal if you are only to smoke one bowl a day but multiple bowls of Salmon River in the same day put a mild hurt on my tongue. I ended up mixing SR at 1:1 with MacBaren Symphony to calm the heat and flavor. I will agree with the previous reviewer that this blend is superior to Autumn Evening. I think this is due to the burley component lacking in the Virginia based AE.

Pipe Used: Grabow briars

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (79)

For the most part, I am not one that smokes many blends that are primarily burley. But I ordered this one when I ordered the other new Scotty's aromatics. What a pleasant surprise! The maple casing is the dominant flavor with the tangy Virginia and the burley in the background - but still there. Lit well, smoked well, burned to the bottom with minimal relights. The pouch note is not bad, but the taste and room note was all maple and plenty of it. Good after taste and I smelled it for hours after smoking (I have a beard). In my book, better than Autumn Evening.

Pipe Used: MM Legend