Named for the passenger train driven by the famous Casey Jones, Engine #382 combines dark and white Burley, bright Virginia leaf, and unsweetened black Cavendish with the soft, vanilla-like flavor of Deer Tongue, making for one pleasant and unique smoking experience.

Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringDeer Tongue
Packaging2oz tin, Bulk
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
2.0
JSimpson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JSimpson (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco was bought because of the train theme, because I love C & D blends and also because I wanted to try Deer Tongue. I would describe it as being more burley based, but your milage may vary. The taste was a little unusual on the first smoke but it grew on me - I had never tried Deer Tongue before. I'd describe this as being a very 'aromatic' tobacco without being an aromatic. The Cavendish also provides a very subtle sweetness.

I'd say the strength is medium, however it gives me a one of a kind nicotine kick which is perfect for the morning, it also has enough complexity for me to want to smoke it later in the day.

Perfect moisture content, and no tongue bite for me.

Pipe Used: Misc briars and cobs

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Cornell & Diehl - Engine #382.

When I opened this I didn't know whether it was an English, VaPer, Kentucky, etc., but the first thing to give an inclination as to what it was came from the identification of some greeny, yellow, twigs: deer tongue.

The Deer tongue has more of a vanilla taste for the first quarter. As the bowl burns it develops a herby quality, then it becomes bitter; this causes the low score. Out of the tobaccos the Burley gives the most flavour, but I get more Perique than I'd expected to. The Virginia's present, albeit quite boring, and the Cavendish gives a slight sweetness. It burns quite fast, and also quite warm.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: tolerable.

Not my thing. Not recommended: