Dark and white cube cut Burley combine to form a classic, medium-bodied Burley blend, sure to provide a slow-burning, rich smoking experience.

Blend TypeBurley Based
CutCube
Packaging2oz, 8oz Tin, Bulk
Strength
Taste

The burleys are very nutty, earthy, rather toasty with a light wood, molasses, and slightly bitter cocoa hit. The grassy, citrusy Virginia is a tad more than a background player. The nic-hit is just shy of being in the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite, and you’ll only get a harsh note if you puff like you’re walking the last mile to the gas chamber. It does sport a mild sharp, rough edge at times from the white burley. The cube cut seems a little smaller than the earlier version I smoked. Burns slightly slow, cool and clean with a very consistent flavor. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a few relights. Has a light sweet, savory,and toasty after taste. Can be an all day smoke, and can be used as a mixer if you desire it.

-JimInks

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (293)

I got 2oz. of this along with my Big 'n' Burley baggie and was suprised, that the "Cube-Cut Blend" is rather ribbons with rather tiny cubes in it.. some are bigger, but most of the cubes are quite small. Still an appealing texture and look. Red, brown and some bright tobacco is awaiting me in the bag.

The unburnt aroma is very good. Most natural, very nutty, spicy and a little sweet. By times I even get a hint of what reminds me of roasted coffee beans and few fruity nuances. Perfect condition, packs, lights and burns excellent.

The bowl begins with a pleasant spicy and sweet aroma and has a decent toasty and somewhat roasted quality to it. Quickly the Burleys develop a deep earthy, tart-nutty and woodsy taste and overtakes the sweet & spicy note - which then balances the boldness of the Burleys excellently - from the start just a tad. Spicy, tart and sweet. Earthy, nutty, woodsy and toasty...tasty! Not too much comlexity, but honest, natural and charming Virginia/Burley blend with plenty of Burley to satisfy a Burley-Aficionado.

Great blend, 3.5 stars for me - not an instant "jeez I love this weed", but close to it and definetly a blend I'll reach for regularely as long as I have some in stock. Reminds me of a sweeter, less spicy version of the Haunted Bookshop.

Update: This blend really grew on me after several bowls and I find it to be an easy going All-Day Burley, nothing fancy, but really solid and tasty blend which I reach for every now and then. Favorited! Update#2: Re-Visiting this blends now that a few months have passed without me opening the jar and: Still solid and smooth, gained a bit nuttiness and the sweetness aided some of the "rough edges" of the burleys. Would smoke again by times, but nothing I'd have to buy in larger quantities! Yet: Solid as rock!

Jamey S Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jamey S (9)

First third of the bowl offers a preview of what's coming. It's mostly earth and dry grass at the beginning, which is nice, but if you're not careful and let your pipe burn hotter for a second, you can feel aromas of cocoa. The rest of the bowl is just an enhancement of those flavors, with some hits of the sweet Virginia. This is a simple, light, nice burley blend, which doesn't work for me: I like my pipe tobacco heavy and complex, as I smoke so rarely. Yet, I could definitely see a smoker smoke this blend all day as it's light and has no bite, and it's flavorful. About the cube cut – I had almost no cubes at my tin. As I was smoking, I thought I would love this blend as a flake – but I guess the cubes were supposed to act as a depth enhancer for this one, only I didn't have any… This is a slow burner, yet hot – so smoke it in a thick wall pipe. All in all, a nice experience, but not one of my favorite Vapers….

Pipe Used: Peterson Shamrock

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Cornell & Diehl - Old Joe Krantz Blue Label.

The pouch (I bought from bulk) contains both ribbons and cubes. The hydration's too little but I put that down to it breathing in the pouch and not necessarily Cornell & Diehl. The prominent note to the unlit aroma's sweet.

I get nowhere near as much Virginia as I do Burley. The smoke has a nuttiness, a mild sort of treacle sweetness, and a spicy ruggedness. The Virginia gives the mix a touch of sprightliness, but is easily outweighed by the Burleys; easily. My only issue is caused by the packaging: it burns hot and fast.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: not good.

Old Joe Krantz Blue Label? Because of the dryness raising a few issues I only rate this batch at two stars, but have every confidence in the tins from Cornell & Diehl. Recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: Smokingpipes.com (bulk)