Comes in pouches of 100 grams and experience may vary from pouch to pouch.

BrandMotzek
Blended ByTom Darasz
Manufactured ByMotzek
Blend TypeOther
ContentsKentucky, Perique
CutRope
Packaging100 grams pouch
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Very Full

3.7
Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (17)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I ordered Tom`s Dark Twist a few weeks before. As I got it I was happy about the nice looking, but a bit sad about the wet condition of the Twist. My first pipe I smoked was not really a great smoking pleasure. I decided to put it a few weeks beside to dry it a bit. Now, the Twist is a bit dryer and it burns very a well. It´s a strong Perique/Kentucky blend with a great taste. The sweetness and fruitness of the Perique is well balanced to the Kentucky leaf. A very well made twist, I like it more than the Lakeland twists, but for the daily smoke too strong. I would give it 3 stars because the twist was too wet and the taste is not soo complex I would wish.

Pipe Used: Bentley

Age When Smoked: 8 weeks

Purchased From: Motzek Kiel

Wallenberg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wallenberg (10)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Presentation is beautiful. A twist more than an inch thick featuring everything from blackish brown to golden.

The smell of the tobacco is very strong. It ranges from dung to body odors and you need to have an iron will to investigate further.

There's a live broadcast of a Korean car brand on Fox 10 and I don't care. I just had a bowl of this blessing.

I prepared this tobacco by cutting a slice off, then again cutting it into cubes and then rubbed it out. There was a cover leaf hanging off, very dark, so I assume it must have been pure Perique. This I ripped apart and mixed it into the bowl. Lighting was easy; I think it can take a tighter packing. Relights were necessary.

Enter the taste; this is a man's 'baccy for sure. Smoky, sometimes also cigar-leaf like Kentucky, always accompanied then yielding and taking back the foreground to and from the peppery and immensely tasty Perique.

For lovers of strong tobacco, this could be the pinnacle of blending. You must try this. You must also fasten your seat belts for the nicotine ride.

Don't make the mistake and think that this is just some Irish Flake with Perique or some Black XX rip-off. This tobacco should be as known to the world as them for its own right!

Pipe Used: Savinelli 601 "Long John" and other briars

Age When Smoked: few weeks after opening of the pouch

Purchased From: not purchased; a sample was given to me by a friend

Similar Blends: I don't know of any similar Kentucky/Perique blend. If you do, please let me know!.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (175)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Toms Dark Twist is THE best tobacco I've had so far. Not one of them...THE best! I'm crazy about this tobacco.

As mentioned before the smell from the bag is like dung of body odors, especially when the tobacco gets a bit warm in the bag. Don't let that scare you! I've learnd if a tobacco smells bad, it will taste insanely good. Thats a rule to me so far!

The twist has lovely apperance, is hand-made from a bunch of rather young guys in Kiel, Germany. They offer a selection of tobaccos, that no-one offers anywhere. At least I don't know any other blend thats 50%/50% Kentucky & Perique. Or blends with 40% perique, a range of twists, plugs, crumble cakes and a bunch of curls. Which other pipe tobaccco company makes a selection like this? This is unique, innovative and foremost creative as hell! This is what the pipe market in Germany was missing, this is what stands out inbetween countless blends which are soul-less and mass-productions. They told me they only produce small batches of 10-15kg per blend. And every one of those blends is unique as it could be, hand crafted!

After a bit of drying time, the tobacco is rather easy to light and no hard work to keep lit, even tho some re-lights are needed.

Toms Dark Twist has a taste unlike any other blend. 50% Perique accompanied by 50% Kentucky. Thats it...And that's what it tastes like! Deep, woodsy notes of dark fired Kentucky with a few cigar-ish notes. Rich fermented taste of the Perique with a good amount of spice & pepper. Also a whiff fruit is to be noticed, that rounds the tobacco.

The taste is a bit inconsistent, as flavours may vary depending on how you pack it. The twist has black leafs on the outside and a brighter, medium brown core with lighter dots. But that's part of the experience. Flavours vary while getting through the bowl and keep the smoke from being one-dimensional or boring. It's always interesting and the range of flavours it offers is surprisingly and pleasuring.

Chapeau! THIS is tobacco to the true nature of tobacco. No fancy stuff, just honest, bold tobacco with bewitching flavours that will be a pleasure to any pipe smoker who likes a stronger and spicy tobacco.

4/4 stars! I'd give 10 if I could!

Edit: For anyone, who speaks german I have a more detailed review on this site: http://tabak-pfeife.com/index.php/tabak/sonstige-tabak/11-tom-s-dark-twist

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe

Purchased From: Motzek / TAK

Similar Blends: there is no blend like this, at least I don't know any. If you do, please inform me, too! ;-).