Pipe Tobacco. Many years back our old recipe for brown flake was always packed loose and slightly broken open.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
Blended ByJ. F. Germain & Son
Manufactured ByJ. F. Germain & Son
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full

McQueen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McQueen (15)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Bridge old Brown is not a new blend to Germain, and it’s not a replacement of traditional Brown Flake; it’s more of an offshoot of brown Flake that is a bit sweeter.

This is an excellent natural Virginia Tobacco; a savory sweet flake, (with the sweetness taking a slight backseat). With my experience smoking this tobacco fresh as well as aged; I believe this to be a straight Virginia.

I smoked this blend for the first time in 2016, and returned to it this week. I saw it came around again in early 2018 and figured it was time to revisit this rare blend. I quite enjoy this one, Its not as moist as Sam Gawith's flakes, and Bridge old Brown burns quite nicely with just a little dry time. As I said before it IS similar to the original Brown Flake but with a little more panoramic flavor. I definitely prefer this over Brown Flake as well. In my experience it’s best to rub this flake up before smoking, and smoke in a wide open pot shape if you have one.

Sweet, spicy, with some dark qualities.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Porto Cervo 122

Age When Smoked: Fresh, and aged

Purchased From: Payless Cigars and Pipes

Blain407 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blain407 (4)

Excellent version of brown flake. Don’t really know why they changed it in the first place. It’s a broken flake version of brown flake basically only I noticed a bright grassy sort of sweetness that I haven’t found in the regular brown flake. Imho this is a Virginia lover’s dream. It’s like Best brown flake with a few years on it. I smoked a fresh tin that already had crystals forming on the flake pieces. Another homerun from Germain’s.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: Tophattobacco.com

Similar Blends: Brown flake, best brown flake.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (166)

Long ribbons. Smells straight. Proper moisture. Easy packing.

Taste similar to brown flake but not as deep. I do not think the tang or edge is the Virginia but from the burley. More woody than cigarish.

Close to Mellow, nice body, steady burning, no bite, cool, dry.

Good, repeatable blend. Not a lightweight. Solid mouth feel.

I do not get any sweetness ( nor is brown flake sweet to me), but I get woodiness, earthiness, and richness.

Another special Virginia mixture from Germaine. Not generally available. I do like it, but I think brown flake is better for me.

Pipe Used: Northern briar quaint

Age When Smoked: New to few months

Purchased From: Ebay

Similar Blends: Germaine brown flake, esoterica Tilbury.