Pipe Tobacco. Many years back our old recipe for brown flake was always packed loose and slightly broken open.

BrandJ. F. Germain & Son
Pleasant, Tolerable

McQueen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McQueen (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Bridge old Brown is not a new blend to Germain, and it’s not a replacement of traditional Brown Flake; it’s more of an offshoot of brown Flake that is a bit sweeter.

This is an excellent natural Virginia Tobacco; a savory sweet flake, (with the sweetness taking a slight backseat). With my experience smoking this tobacco fresh as well as aged; I believe this to be a straight Virginia.

I smoked this blend for the first time in 2016, and returned to it this week. I saw it came around again in early 2018 and figured it was time to revisit this rare blend. I quite enjoy this one, Its not as moist as Sam Gawith's flakes, and Bridge old Brown burns quite nicely with just a little dry time. As I said before it IS similar to the original Brown Flake but with a little more panoramic flavor. I definitely prefer this over Brown Flake as well. In my experience it’s best to rub this flake up before smoking, and smoke in a wide open pot shape if you have one.

Sweet, spicy, with some dark qualities.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Porto Cervo 122

Age When Smoked: Fresh, and aged

Purchased From: Payless Cigars and Pipes

Blain407 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blain407 (4)

Excellent version of brown flake. Don’t really know why they changed it in the first place. It’s a broken flake version of brown flake basically only I noticed a bright grassy sort of sweetness that I haven’t found in the regular brown flake. Imho this is a Virginia lover’s dream. It’s like Best brown flake with a few years on it. I smoked a fresh tin that already had crystals forming on the flake pieces. Another homerun from Germain’s.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: Tophattobacco.com

Similar Blends: Brown flake, best brown flake.