A truly traditional tobacco.

BrandGallaher Limited
Blended ByGallaher Limited
FlavoringFloral Essences, Other / Misc
Packaging25g Pouch
Medium to Strong, Very Strong
Medium to Full, Very Full
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is the same as the long flake and ready rubbed with two exceptions. The sweet flavors here seem subtly more pronounced and fermented than they are in the other cuts. The floralness is very slightly less obvious. And while I gave this the same strength and taste ratings as the others, I'd say this just a tad less so in both departments, though that may be because I get a slight more smoothness here. The differences are minor, but I notice them. Therefore, the rest of this review is essentially a duplicate of the Long Flake version, though the plug may need more relights.

The flavor of the Virginia is mostly hidden, though I do get some earth and a hint of grass from it. The topping is a little perfumy and soapy, and definitely floral. I get some dark fruitiness (slightly tangy) which may come from either the topping or the tobacco; it's a little hard to decide which, but perhaps it's from both. I sense a little citrus, too. There’s a slight sharpness to it that I associate with burley, so perhaps a little is present? Has a nice nic-hit. Not as overwhelming as I had expected, which is a plus, but I consider this to be more for an experienced smoker. Fully flavored, burns slow with a consistent taste, which is more of an acquired one for many smokers. Leaves no moisture or dottle. May require more relights than the other versions, depending upon how you prepare the flake. It's not an all day smoke, but if this fits your flavor profile, repetition will enter your mind. Will ghost a pipe fast, so be prepared to either dedicate a briar or a cob to it. I suggest trying it out in a meer first.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the normal Condor...simply latakia lol. Just the pressed block before either being sliced into flakes or processed to ready rubbed.

Not that it suffers or anything by being in a rock hard little 25 gram block. I prefer plugs. I like the ritual of slicing off a portion for my smoke.

Easily available in Ireland over the counter or from web retailers. Jame Fox has such a site and also sells Maltan Ready Rubbed and Velvan Plug. Well worth a visit.

matty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
matty (21)
Very Strong Strong Extra Full Very Strong

Let me just start by saying I really like strong flake tobacco. This tobacco is very heavy and not for beginners. It has a very high nicotine content and strong soapy floral taste. I have a dedicated pipe for Condor tobacco's. This bar has a crisper cleaner soapy floral taste than the green pouch. For me the preparation of this bar is well worth it. You get a very full tasting robust smoke that leaves you satisfied for hours on end. The room note i am told smells like a household cleaner. I would consider moving to Ireland just to have this on hand at all times. Saddle up and take a ride into nicotine overdose it's great!

Warhorse1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warhorse1 (1)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

An amazing product that makes living a worthwhile experience. I find that the plug burns far more evenly than the ready rubbed and you seem to get more milage out of this 1 oz plug than you do out of a pouch of Condor Green. I find it burns easily and does not require endless lights and once it gets going you are good to go. If you want to step up the nicotine level I find that mixing it with equal parts of Black Irish Twist or Tambo will really deliver the goods and one bowl and a couple of expresso's will set you up for the morning.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum Cutty

Purchased From: Pipes Divan

Similar Blends: Nothing on this planet!.

riobrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riobrew (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

GREAT!!! Can not get this in the US. A friend pick this up for me last summer. Smoked very clean. Sliced very thin and rubbed out. Dried for about 15 min than packed pipe. Only took two matches to start. Smoked clean to bottom of bowl.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Age When Smoked: I got it 6 months ago

Purchased From: James Fox in Ireland

Similar Blends: ..

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Strong Extra Strong Very Full Very Strong

Mom: You say that again, and I'll wash your mouth out with soap.

Me: Oooh, I'm a scared.

Dad: You say that again, and I'll make you smoke some Lake District Virginias.

Me: Okay, I'll be good.

Conversation, my house, circa 1966

This is a bold, flamboyant blend that will probably make more enemies than friends. So be it. It's a big world, and all tastes must be accomodated. I must say that I, unexpectedly, did not dislike this blend as much as I would have thought. It's not without charm, something I can't say for many far more famous blends. Still, it's a bit much for me. Glad I tried it, though, and I'll probably revisit this nugget, which may well outlive me.

Addendum, 10/04- Another year, another bowl of Condor. Open the windows, honey, and get some fans in here. Whether you find it flamboyant or outrageous, this is one you'll not soon forget. Should be sampled at least once.

Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In my review of the ready rub and flake (long-cut) versions, I started by saying "Certainly a fairly strong and perfumed smoke; if neither appeal, stay far, far away." The same is true here, but just as I found the 'condor' flavors a shade less in the flake than in the ready rub, so here they are slightly (note: slightly) milder in the plug form than in the flake, with again, the underlying tobaccos taking up the difference. All three are good; all three would be in my long term rotation if they were more easily available, but they are all 'love 'em or hate 'em' mixtures. If you are the type that can tell if your bulk virginia has been stored for an hour within 10 feet of a Lakeland (and you shudder at the taste), you don't want to try these, let alone the really perfumed Lakelands

Pipe Used: briars (inc. falcons) and meerschaums

Purchased From: James Fox

TheRunningPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheRunningPiper (5)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Pleasant

It is according to the old time Irish pipers i encounter strong in latakia.It is still very readily available in Ireland and thank god for it.A proper full bodied/aromatic smoke that never disapoints at any time of the day.Takes some cutting though,but worth it.Stays alight well and its strenght is beautifully balanced throughout the bowl.Full florol/liquer and soapy taste backed up it equal measure by fine flowing aromas.If you like full bodied and strong smoking experience with aromatic backdrop( not too many good ones around)THIS IS FOR YOU!!!.My favourite.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Very Strong Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

I must start out saying that if you were a potty mouth as a kid and got your mouth washed out with soap this is one for you. It'll take you back to those days. Soapy, floral, strong. A friend gave me some Condor Bar. Having already had some Condor reddi-rubbed and found that I tolerate the soapy floral scents and taste, the Bar was simply another version.

A brick to say the least. It's hard and very dense. A scalpal to cut slices wouldn't be asking too much. Since the stuff is hard to get anywhere I was rather miserly with it. first I knocked of a good chunk to put away for posterity then on to slice the rest for smoking. While slicing I thought this might, since it's so dense, serve as a lasting chew also. So I cut a couple slices in very small 1/4" squares to set between my lip and gum.

I did choose to dry the slices a bit under a desk lamp for a while to facilitate decent burning otherwise charcoal lighter may be necessary. I filled a small bowl with my broken flake and fired it up with some very tiny specs on time for ignition. AWESOME! A very rich, full, strong smoke indeed. A real mouthful of smoke! I see it as a great pick for after a meal. This stuff has no bite and burns a long time, much longer than I expected from my small bowl that I choose. I can't comment on the room note of the Bar but others in the house said Condor smells like Comet Cleanser for scrubbing bathtubs and whitewall tires, if you get my drift. So I smoke it when alone.

I don't recomend it for folks still trying to find their first good tobacco early in their pipe smoking career. Nor for the intestinally weak! This stuff is a definite 5 star in my opinion!