A well-balanced mixture of wholehearted black cavendish and naturally sweet Virginia. Fortified with the aromatic variety of hops, malt and vanilla, it exudes an extremely pleasant fragrance.

Blended ByVauen
Manufactured ByVauen
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringOther / Misc, Vanilla
Medium, Medium to Strong
BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (45)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

With this one.. I think they truly hit the mark of a "beer" tobacco. When smelling the tin you get the notes of malt/hops and a little vanilla. It's mainly black cavendish, which has me remove 1 star because I feel it needs more brown and tan in the mix. As it is, it's a fairly stout smoke which actually leaves you with the mouth feel of beer. It has a "foamy" character to it and you can taste the hops on your palette. It can smoke a little hot and bite if you aren't careful.. which in my opinion is caused by too much Cavendish. Overall it's a good blend but I probably won't buy it again as I'm not the biggest fan of Cavendish based blends. Room note is decent to good as with most Vauen blends.

Pipe Used: Vauens

Age When Smoked: direct from tin.. and aged in pouch 2 weeks.

Purchased From:

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (94)

First time I've tried a Vauen blend (and still want one of their pipes).

Tasty tin fragrance up there with the best of Davidoff's expensive blends. The tobacco is much darker than I expected, almost black with a few wisps of golden brown strands.

Not sure what this smells like, it certainly isn't vanilla and certainly not malt or hops. It's very smilar to Davidoff's blue or red mixture or maybe Savenelli's aromatic blend.

Needs a bit of a breather after tin opening as it is quite moist, but once dried a little (a couple of hours or so) it loads and burns well. Best in a big bowl, I don't think small loaders will do this tobacco any favours.

The taste drifts away about halfway through the bowl and - I don't know why - but it finishes up very wet rather than grey dottle. Could be my style of wet smoking I suppose.

Two-thirds into the tin and it's gone really dry and crusty (and it was a tight round tin, too) and is starting to crumble into a black crunchy substance that you often find at the very dog end of a tin. I have a feeling re-hydrating will kill the flavour off completely.

Bit of a shame that as this is a good blend and well worth trying if you like the lighter side of aromatics. I'd certainly try this one again if opportunity arose, as - inevitably - this is not available in UK tobacconists. There's a surprise eh ?

Pipe Used: All large briars

Purchased From: DanPipe, Germany.

Similar Blends: Savinelli aromatic, Davidoff's Blue/Red mixture, Ashton's Rainy day or Guilty pleasure.