Lane Ltd. Punch is a latakia-forward blend with the bright Virginias and burley complimenting the dark leaf, rather than the more typical latakia-as-condiment approach.

BrandLane Limited
Blended ByLane Limited
Manufactured ByLane Limited
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Medium, Full, Extra Full
Pleasant, Tolerable, Overwhelming

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Lane Limited - Punch.

I was a little worried at first. You see, there was no rush of air when I prized the seal open, or supposed seal. Luckily for me though, the lack of a seal hadn't made it too dry; good to smoke imminently, but no good for the cellar. Just one sniff from the tin gave me a good inclination as to what sort of blend I was dealing with: a heady Latakia one. On the negative side of things the blend included a few twiggy pieces of Latakia, not loads of them, but a couple of stick-like bits. It appears to be about 75% black Lat'!

Here's my experience with smoking it: I really enjoy it. The flavour is mostly Latakia, with only a very tiny amount of Burley and Virginia. And I mean VERY TINY. This causes the flavour to be a full one, with all of the traits a Lat-Hound would love, I assume! It's not as sharp or caustic as I'd expect a blend that's this heavy with Lat' to be; woody and smoky, but not bitter or acrid. The temperature of the smoke's cool, and it's thick in build. These features, along with the lack of bite, make for a comfortable smoke.

The room-note's heavy, but I admit I like it, and the nicotine's strong.

I'm deducting no points for the broken seal, it's too good a smoke, so I'll call that a one off!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef Meer' (Friday pipe)

Age When Smoked: Four months

simonol Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
simonol (3)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Hi all,

This is my first review. I'm not a tobacco specialist. I don't know very well all vocabulary and nuances of everything, but I know why I like a tobacco I'll try to share with you.

I agree with StevieB. We are talking about a LAT-BOMB from top to bottom. I love lat bombs, but it's not the best I've tasted. In the first third of the bowl the latakia is accompanied by the strong burley, so the experience is very smoke intense. You'll feel a lot of heavy smoke, and my tongue was only trying to resist the heavy guest. Once at the second third the dark virginias will give you a little breather. At the last third your muscles will begin to relax and you feel you are out of danger. No sweetness, no spicy, no subtle tastes.

As a lat bomb it's very simple and too overwhelming, but if you're looking for a very strong, overwhelming bold latakia/burley experience, you'll enjoy.

IMHO I would say the latakia here is not a top quality leaf and the blending process has been very simple. I prefer LATBOMBS accompanied by light virginias or orientals, in any case a more elegant, refined and plenty of nuances experiences.

It's not recommendable as introduction to latbombs unless you're coming from very bold and strong burley or dark fired experiences.

Pipe Used: briars

Age When Smoked: a few months

Similar Blends: Some Hearth and Home lat forward blends as Heart of Darkness or Fleet Commander..

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Overwhelming

With a seemingly deliberate exaggeration of Latakia, Punch manages to deliver a spicy, thick, and intense smoke with little care for nuance. The Virginia seems to serve as kindling only. The Burley quietly serves up a high dose of nicotine. The retrohale is overwhelmingly ticklish.

It is neither wet not dry. It is well cut, with clearly distinguishable yellow ribbons amidst a sea of black.

This is a very intense and stinky smoke, which will likely justify your ownership of a Group 1 pipe.

Age When Smoked: Just released