Named for one of its most famous devotees, Sir Henry Irving, during the time he portrayed Mephisto in the London production of Faust, ca. 1885. The Devil's Own is a medium mixture with a wonderfully balanced taste and aroma. It is simultaneously somewhat sweeter and fuller than Inns of Court due to a greater proportion of golden Virginias and Cyprian latakia. The addition of a little air-cured leaf and unflavored black cavendish add body and richness to the smoke. - Gregory Pease

BrandDrucquer & Sons
Blended ByG.L. Pease
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging3.5 ounce tin
Strength
Taste
2.7

Forming the base of the blend is the golden Virginias, which offer citrus and lemon, light sugar, some grass and spice, and a few pinches of toast and honey. The toasty, earthy, nutty, woody, lightly molasses sweet burleys also have a mild sharp note and rough edge in support. The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is not quite the equal of the burleys in proportion, but is significant enough to be just a little more than a condiment. The brown sugar, toast and slight caramel from the unflavored black cavendish adds a little smoothness in a minor role. The nic-hit is mild to medium. The strength and taste levels are medium. It won’t bite or get harsh, though the aforementioned rough edge will be a little more noticeable to a fast puffer. I recommend a moderate smoking cadence, especially as this blend does gather just a little more strength in the last third of the experience. A fairly complex blend with a slight inconsistency in its rich, deep, clean, sweet and savory flavor, it burns at a reasonable pace with few relights from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. Has a pleasant woody sweet after taste, and a pleasant to tolerable room note. Not quite an all day smoke.

-JimInks

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (66)

I remember the Drucquer blends from years ago though , living in new York , I seldom was able to smoke them . While re-issues can never be exact because we simply do no longer grow the same tobacco in the same fields, this smokes relatively close to the original . Devil's Own seems to be Virginia forward blend with burley and latakia present , though as minor players . The Virginia is fine cut and of the golden type . The quality of the Virginia is decent as are all of the included tobaccos . Though a minor player , the latakia is a definite presence .The burley gives the blend a bit of extra body . The fine cut of the tobacco causes to smoke a little hot down the bowl if puffed to hard. I found this to be a " woodsy" smoke reminding me of a fall day in New England . Going deeper into the bowl I noticed a sharper , more pungent taste . This is a complex tobacco very suitable to an afternoon walk or a quiet evening on the patio . I am in debt to Greg for making these classic blends available to us again . This seemed to me like a labor of love and we are , as smokers , embellished by his effort .

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (127)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

At our very first swap/sell show in 1993, when we were called Ohio Pipe Collectors (now known as NASPC), I met a guy that used to own a smoke shop in Zanesville, Ohio, and he had some Drucquers tins on his table. I had never seen them before and bought what he had. I liked them so much that I bought every English blend tin he had in his possession the next time he and I met. Now, here is the weird part; I have no recollection of smoking The Devil's Own. There are two possible explanations: one, he didn't have any tins of this blend in his old store stock or, two, I couldn't identify his tins of this blend that were open as an English mixture (he had boxes of old Drucquers blends and all had a specimen tin opened). This later explanation looms large in my response to the current tin I opened recently - I couldn't immediately identify it as an English blend. In the tin it kind of looked like Early Morning Pipe, though the tin aroma was weaker and not as English fragrant as I remember recent tins of EMP being. It showed a rather fine cut that I thought a little odd for a pipe tobacco. It was a little moist for lighting and I set some out to air out for about thirty minutes. When I loaded up my pipe I noticed that the odor of the sample had decreased to a lower level and seemed to be more of a Virginia forward aroma, in keeping with reviewer Big Train's review of 2016-09-03. So, I lit up and discovered that I couldn't develop any taste or aroma in the smoke. This caused me to puff harder and learn the lesson of not heeding reviewer Jiminks' advice 2016-09-30 that hard puffing would be rewarded with tongue scorch. I never got anything much out of the top third of the bowl. This blend did develop a little backbone in the middle third but stumbled a bit in the bottom third. The taste and aroma and smoking satisfaction were thin and weak all the way through the bowl and left me wanting more of everything. The only blend purporting to be an English that smokes weaker is Davidoff Royalty; a blend that I simply could not identify as an English blend. The Devil's Own most closely resembles Cornell and Diehl's Crooked Lane, though Crooked Lane is a little stronger. Not being offensive or anything, I rate this blend as two stars.

Pipe Used: Northern Briars sea urchin

Age When Smoked: 2 yrs old

Similar Blends: Davidoff Royalty and Cornell and Diehl Crooked Lane, though Crooked Lane is a tad stronger..