A blend of quality tobacco's with spicy rum.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
ContentsCavendish, Virginia
FlavoringRum
Strength
Extremely Mild, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild, Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.5
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

Thanks again to my friend from London who sends me hard to get Gawith blends from time to time. I really wanted to try Black Rum as it is an all Virginia Cavendish and you just don't see those much anymore. Most blends use Burley Cavendish exclusively. I can see where some tobacco websites can be fooled by the contents, but am glad TRC was not. The Virginia was compelling; dark, rich and loaded up with Rum. If you have ever smoked G&G Rum Flake, increase the alcohol level by 40% to get an idea of how much Rum you taste with each puff. And, of course, this rope is much stronger and it was a bugger to cut up. I had to call in Paul Bunyon. I may finish my sample, but it'll be awhile before I get this taste (not a bad one), to dissipate to the point where I can taste other tobacco blends.

Extremely Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Samuel Gawith - Black Rum.

There's no Virginia in this (as per the current descriptions on a few websites). It's a blend that comprises only black and brown Cavendish tobaccos'. The ribbons are all medium size and they avert from the problem with moisture; I can smoke it from a fresh pouch without a wait.

For the first quarter the topping's a little uncertain as to what it is! It tastes sweet, but I struggle to identify any other characteristic; I wouldn't say, without knowing, it's rum. After a quarter of a bowl the sticky sweetness subsides and allows a touch of piquancy to come through which clarifies that it's rum that's been added. Black Rum gives hardly any nicotine; it's extremely weak. The room-note, again, is confused; it isn't exactly rummy, not exactly sweet, nor plain tobacco, just a bit of a mess.

This isn't bad, but it's a but mundane.

Somewhat recommended.