Commemorating 140 years of pipe making tradition, Savinelli's 140th Anniversary Blend is an elegant mixture of red and bright Virginias, spiced with Orientals and choice dark-fired florets from Italy, and infused with subtle notes of citrus and wildflowers for a unique and satisfying smoke.

The special florets used in this blend are a staple in Italian cigar production, and are all grown and double-fermented on a singular farm in the Tuscan Tiber Valley region of Italy— a location recognized for its history and tradition of tobacco cultivation dating back to the 17th century.

BrandSavinelli
Blended ByJeremy Reeves
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsKentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringFloral Essences, Fruit / Citrus
Packaging3 oz Tin
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong
Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Tolerable
JimInks (2036)

The red Virginias are mildly tangy, dark fruit sweet with earth and a touch of spice. The bright Virginias have some citrus along with a little grass, though there is less of latter aspect than expected. Both Virginias compete and complement each other. The dark fired florets from Italy add a little wood, mild spice, a slight cigar note, and a more obvious floral quality. The cigar florets are processed from dark fired Italian burley off cuts. Background support comes from the woody, buttery sweet and sour, lightly spicy Orientals. The citrus topping sports a mildly sweet richness, contrasted by the addition of the mediumly floral essence of wild flowers. The floralness of this blend creates a European feel to the very smooth, consistent flavor. It never weakens or gets harsh, and will not bite even if pushed. It does moderately tone down the tobaccos. The nic-hit is slightly more than mild. The strength is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. The taste is at the medium threshold, mostly due to the addition of the wild flowers. Well blended with some nuance, it burns at a reasonable pace, requiring few relights. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl. The after taste pleasantly lingers, and the room note is mildly sweet and floral. It’s close to an all day smoke for the experienced piper, and a good starter for those just exploring blends in this genre.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (95)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

As far as I know, 140 Year Anniversary Mixture is the only recent Savinelli offering that is made for them by Cornell and Diehl. While 140 is not rough, like some other C&D blends, it is qualitatively different from the other, recent Savinelli blends I’ve tried (and especially enjoyed). In fact, it took me a while to get the most from this blend, and I came close to setting it aside before I locked onto it.

In the opened tin, moist tobacco ribbons range from golden brown to dark brown. The melded VAs and Orientals smell like grassy, tobacco-ish cake, with a mystery topping, supposedly citrus and wildflowers. The smoky Sansepolcro is not discernible under the initial scents. The ribbons are easy to load and fairly easy to light, and it burns down pretty fast. I first tried smoking 140 straight from the tin, lightly loaded into an ODF briar that I figured would offset a fast burn. All was not well. It was myriad and random, blunt, unbalanced, and dry enough to choke me. Still, I persisted with large pipes for some time, because 140 really does burn quickly. Then I drew a blank with a WW II Comoy’s I use for cigar blends. Hmm… Finally, on a hunch I wish I’d gotten in the first place, I tried it in an old, group 4 Punto Oro ½ bent bulldog. Bingo! This pipe presents 140 so well that I’ve stopped experimenting, and the following review of the smoke is based on my use of “the right pipe”.

140 handles, packs, lights and smokes easily, and there is plenty of smoke. I pack it lightly and I draw very lightly for the best results. For me, so much of this blend is in the light snork. I smell and taste the lighter VAs first, mild, grassy, with very faint meadow flowers. Next I smell and taste Macedonian leaf that is mossy and dry, with vague Middle Eastern kabob spices. Next comes the slightly smoky, slightly nutty, slightly bitter Sansepolcro, which is also mildly cigar-like. Though it waxes and wanes through the smoke it never really rears up like a full-fledged cigar, at all. About ½ way down the bowl, the earthier, red VA comes up to meld with, temper, and enrich the lot. I want to be clear, although 140 was poorly balanced when I smoked it in my large pipes, in the pipe I settled on it is very well balanced, with just enough wobble to keep it interesting, and it works for me in this pipe with or without my brain engaged. I particularly enjoy the frisson between the Sansepolcro and the Orientals, which reminds me in that way of GLP’s Key Largo, albeit 140 is less cigar-like, and it lacks Latakia. Strength is toward medium. Tastes are just over medium. Room note is tolerable, despite the stinky tobaccos the blend employs. Aftertaste is more of the smoke.

Perhaps I’m too easy, but I figure all’s well that ends well, and danged if I haven’t gotten ahold of yet another 4 star blend. I recommend Savinelli’s 140 year Anniversary Mixture to anyone who likes Key Largo, and I offer the same advice I offered when I reviewed KL: Take it easy, and don’t give up on it too soon. FWIW, I’m betting that 140 is going to age very well (just as Key Largo does).

Pipe Used: Various; settled on group 4 briar

Age When Smoked: fresh from undated tin

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to GLP Key Largo, also C&D's Small Batch Sansepolcro.

Snappo's Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Snappo's Pipe (18)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Savinelli 140th Anniversary - Ultra-fine!!! Multi-nuanced levels of full flavorful sophistication best enjoyed slowly in a contemplative large conical-bottomed bowl... there is so much going on in this beautiful blend, yet no part eclipses another... yes, IMO, this one is SPECIAL. A marvelous concentrated spicy sweet leathery floral cigar multi-flavor-hit to the palette, and stellar on the retro-hale!

Pipe Used: Custom Deep conical-bowled Briar Ramses...

Age When Smoked: Less than one year

Purchased From: Gift

Similar Blends: None other....