In October of 2015, while spending a day with Mark Ryan at the L.A. Poche Perique Company in St. James Parish, Louisiana. our own Russ Ouellette asked Mark if he had ever thought of trying to process Virginia in the same method as Perique. Mark said that he had thought of it, but was told it wouldn't work. After a bit of conversation, Mark decided to bring down some bright, sweet, yellow, Canadian-grown Virginia to give it a try. The processing time had to be much shorter because of the aggressive fermentation due to the high sugar content; but the result, called Acadian Gold, has more depth than normal Virginia with a malty note unlike anything else.

In the RO Series Acadian VaPer, Acadian Gold is combined with Acadian Perique for a VaPer blend with an unusually deep flavor and body. It is is one of the naturally sweetest Virginia/Perique blends you will ever try. Get it now, because when it's sold out, it's gone forever.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
JimInks (2042)

The various Virginias offer a big burst of tangy, fermented citrus with a mild malty tartness, a fair amount of grass and hay, some sugar, a very light dark fruitiness, wood and earth, a slight floral and bare spice note, and a few drops of honey and bread. The plummy, raisiny, very mildly spicy acadian perique also has a touch of stewed fruit in a support role. The strength and taste levels are a hair past the medium threshold. The nic-hit is slightly past the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite, harshness, or roughness. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a mostly consistent, rich flavor from start to finish, and easily burns to ash. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasantly lingering fruity sweet and mildly spicy after taste. It’s almost an all day smoke, and experienced VaPer aficionados may well consider it to be one.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (88)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

The tin note is a potent, wine-like, almost boozey aroma of fermentation. The cut is a thin ribbon -- almost a shag. The taste is naturally sweet, with a musty/malty natural Virginia tobacco flavor -- a very full flavor, but medium nicotine strength. The Virginia(s) are soft, not piquant, sharp or bitey. Very smooth and full bodied. The Perique is fruit-like, not peppery. It is prominent, but it remains a team player in the mix.

Very elegant blend. Great whole mouth feel and long lasting finish. I need to smoke this in a medium-to-small bowl because the Virginia flavor is so deep it can fatigue the palate.

The only downside is the price: about double the average; but if you can afford at least one tin, give it a try.

Pipe Used: Ardor, Tinsky, Castello, GBD

Similar Blends: Esoterica Dunbar, Germain Royal Jersey Perique, and pretty similar to, of all things, Newminster #701 Straight Virginia (if it's been aged 5yrs., as my supply has been).

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This one hit the spot. One of the most exciting new blends that I've tasted in a long time. The Canadian Virginia was light brown bright, but unlike the tangy American variety, this one indeed had a deeply fermented smell and taste that was greatly appreciated. The Perique danced in slowly as the smoke progressed, and by mid bowl, was a major player for awhile, and then danced away again.

A lot of bottom to this blend, and despite the high sugar content, it offered a bite free presentation, I believe Acadian VaPer will age beautifully. I bought a half dozen tins and will begin the cellaring process immediately. Man, I'd love to taste this one with 20-years of age on it. My tins might last that long but it's a long shot that I will (sigh).

pappymac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pappymac (10)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In short. I like it and I will buy more if it's still available when I make my next order. Acadian VaPer

Tin note: If you open this tin and expect the usual ketchup or grassy notes of Virginias, you will be disappointed. The Virginia is a yellow Canadian leaf that has been processed using the Perique method. This has sour cherry or homemade red wine just before it turns to vinegar. I really like this tin note and after one bowl, I decided that I like smoking Acadian VaPer and that it is not like any other VaPer that I’ve smoked.

There are a couple of things that sets this apart for me. One is the Yellow Virginia, which has been processed using the Perique method. To me it has little of the tangy, vinegary aroma that I associate with an aged virginia. The Perique processing method has made it sweeter and more mellow, and, I can understand where others say there is a maltiness. The tobacco is a very thin ribbon cut. I almost find myself wanting to pull the ribbons apart before packing into the bowl.

While the Virginia is the star of the show, the Perique wins the Academy Award as the best supporting character. It stays in the background and only serves to highlight the quality of the Virginias. The fruitiness of the Perique melds with the Perique processed Virginia to give it that sour cherry aroma when I open the tin.

The first bowl I smoked was from a freshly opened tin and it started off smooth and soft with a mild strength but like the suspense in a good movie the nicotine just kept slowly building up. The moisture content of the fresh tin was at about the right level for smoking. I have been smoking it almost daily for 11 days now and it has dried out some in the tin. As I expected, getting drier has changed the tobacco to where I’m picking up the Virginia component better when smoking it.

The strength of the tobacco starts off more mild/medium to my senses but as I smoke it, there is a subtle development of more strength. I wasn’t expecting it to build up as much when I first smoked it but I definitely felt the nic starting to hit when I stood up. I found that adjusting my cadence as I get towards the bottom lessens the hit.

I normally don’t smoke a lot of Virginia forward tobaccos because I have found that they bite me. I believe this is more due to a chemical reaction than how I smoke. However, the Acadian VaPer hasn’t burned or bitten my tongue yet. I’m attributing this to the processing.

I do most of my smoking either outside or in my two car garage that’s been converted into a storage space/man cave. It’s too big for me to pick up much of a room note. What I do get is the grassiness of the Virginias and a slight fruitiness of the perique.

I have smoked it in a Clay pipe, three different briars, two different meerschaums and 3 different MM cobs. In the Clay pipe I get just the flavor of the tobacco and that’s when the Virginias really sing. That being said, I like it the best in a cob. It may be psychological but I feel the cob adds to the mellow sweetness and presents even more of hay note to the smoke. Besides, what’s better than sitting in the shade of a swamp oak with a light breeze and a glass of ice tea.

There are two downsides to Acadian VaPer. First, it is a limited production tobacco so once it’s gone, it is probably gone forever unless someone running for President chops the FDA’s authority as he has said he would. Second, it is pricey. The higher price is because it is a limited production tobacco. I view the high cost the same as I view the high cost of a 24-year old Single Malt Scotch versus a 12-year old Blended Scotch – you get what you pay for.

Pipe Used: Clay, Cob, Meerschaum and Briar