From P&C's website: Hearth & Home Virginia Memory is the first true flake in the Marquee Series. Flue-cured tobaccos from two continents are rolled, then pressed and sliced. There's a remarkable natural sweetness, and the flavor profile is the traditional hay and grass notes that one would expect from premium flue-cured tobaccos.

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByScandanavian Tobacco Company
Strength
None Detected, Mild, Strong
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable, Strong
2.0

Hearth & Home - Virginia Memory (Marquee Series).

I'd planned on cellaring this one for awhile, but I was in the mood for a straight Virginia this morning and I opened a tin of Golden Glow to find it wasn't hitting the spot. Ergo, I opened this and it's only been in my stash for about three weeks. However, I think it would be a superb smoke in the summer so I might order a few more tins to add to my cellar!

Because Smokingpipes.com and this site have the cut listed as just flake I was surprised when I removed the lid. It looks identical to Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake. A nice surprise! Because the flakes are thin and of a perfect hydration it makes rubbing/filling easy as can be. But, the ease carries a paradox: use a gentle hand or the flakes can become very fine making the burn too quick. Try to keep them as chunky as possible.

As you'd expect it lights up without an issue and gives a very even, medium temperature, burn. Again, that's where the preparation's paramount: keep things chunky to prevent medium becoming warm. It's a 'fresh' tasting Virginia, there's no ripe, deep, nuances, it's all sharp citrus, sweet and grassy. That's why I fancy some for the summer: it'd be great in the sunshine paired with a fruity drink! The only negative is bite, but, I've had much worse.

Room-note: pleasant. Nicotine: quite mild.

Virginia Memory? A good blend for hot days! Recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: TobaccoPipes.com

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (69)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I mistakenly thought this was H&H Virginia Memory #10, a bone-dry Virginia with maduro leaf. Was quite surprised to open a Lakeland-like VA flake. Nice presentation, tightly rolled, thinly cut, fragrant. Fairly moist, used the old 10-20 sec microwave trick. Lit and smoked well with no relights needed. No dottle, no very little moisture. The flavor was nothing to write home about. Smoke stung the eyes a bit, which makes me wonder if there's not a pinch of perique? Almost zero nicotine hit.

Pipe Used: Pop's old leather-clad Longchamps

MDoftheNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDoftheNorth (1)
Mild Strong Mild Strong

To my palate, this Virginia has an extremely strong vanilla/caramel/peach topping that borders on being sickly. As someone who simply doesn't like aromatic tobaccos, I was rather disappointed that none of the descriptions mentioned anything about the obvious syrupy aroma that completely overwhelms any tobacco flavors that might be hidden somewhere in the smoke.

I absolutely love the rest of the Hearth & Home line, but this was a huge miss. As always, YMMV.

Pipe Used: Vauen Country