A generous measure of fine Izmir leaf is layered on a sturdy foundation of mature red and sweet bright Virginia tobaccos, then pressed and allowed to mature and ferment in cakes before being sliced and tinned. This is one for the lover of Oriental mixtures, with their exotic and enticing incense-like aroma and brilliant flavour. Rub up a flake or two, fill a cherished pipe, and prepare for an exceptional smoking experience.

Notes: Released 7/12/2016

Contains perique, though the description doesn't mention it.

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2.0 Tin
Strength
Taste

2.9

The mature red Virginia is very tangy, dark fruit sweet with earth and a minor spice note, and is a team player even though there’s more of it than there is of the other tobaccos. The citrus sweet, grassy bright Virginia also seems to have a drop of honey in a support role. The raisin and spice from the perique mostly lurks in the background. The Izmir is a tad smokey, very woody, mildly floral and musty, and moderately spicy along with a buttery sweet and sour taste as it constantly competes with the Virginias. At times, it will dominate. Given that, you will still notice all the inherent characteristics of the tobaccos most of the time. The nic-hit is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. It’s medium in strength while the taste level is just past medium. The flakes are lightly moist and not thick, and I saw no need to dry them. Mildly complex, it burns at a reasonable pace for a flake; cool, clean, and even with a fairly smooth flavor. It has no weak or harsh spots, and won’t bite. Requires a normal number of relights for a flake product, and leaves virtually no dampness in the bowl. The after taste is mildly woody sweet and rather pleasant. The room note is pleasant. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but those experienced in Oriental blends may find it closer to being one.

I just don't like this one. Two of the reasons are personal and your experience may be completely different. The third isn't.

1. I just don't like the way it taste. Nothing to do with any one component, it's the way these particular components, and the amount of each, taste combined. I've had Va/Or/Per blends that I have loved, but not this one. To my taste buds it's off the mark.

2. This is not a very forgiving blend. It seems to require a more disciplined piper than myself. If my cadence is a little too quick or if I puff a little too hard the flavor goes off the rails and gets a bit nasty. If you're a disciplined smoker you can avoid this. If I have to constantly mind my cadence it just takes the enjoyment out of smoking.

3. It's not very well rounded. Most of the flavor is in mid-range and high notes. There is very little in the low range. The Perique may have filled that slot, but there's not enough of it to get the job done.

I will recommend this to disciplined smokers. People like me should probably pass.

Medium in body and taste. No added flavorings. Burns very well. No appreciable difference between briar or cob.

Pipe Used: Ropp pot, MM Little Devil Cutty

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (157)

This is a steady burning, easy folding or rubbing flake.

A little temperamental while new, so I do not rub much and sip. Time will mend that.

This is brighter tasting and a lighter blend than Temple Bar IMO. Still rich.

The base is mostly bright Virginia too me (Like Montgomery). I do not detect the Perique, but it is mostly there to keep the blend reasonably cool. I do taste the Oriental. Hay, herbal, spicy, and interesting. Tasty. Creates a craving.

If you like a moderate helping of Orientals, absent Latakia, here's a blend for you.

If Telegraph Hill is Montgomery on steroids, this is Montgomery on Mars and beyond (couldn't think of anything past steroids). Four stars because it is a Turkish taste I miss from the past.

Pipe Used: Castello 55 and A. Garfinkle Algerian billiard

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: McClelland's Virginia # 24 (w/Drama).

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (71)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

On to the second half of the much- anticipated new Pease duo. I made myself wait a day in between this and Temple Bar to allow a fresh palate and fair, uncontaminated initial judgement for each. Because of my love for GLP plugs and crumble cake like Triple Play, Jack Knife, and Gaslight, I was admittedly already expecting Temple Bar to be the better of the two. Long story short, Regents Flake beat the odds, for the time being anyway.

Absolutely beautiful scent in the can...smells like figs with tart overtones. Moisture content was just about right, so I rubbed out a few broken flakes and loaded a somewhat narrow bored cob. From the first light I am amazed at the amount of flavor present. With TB, I felt the flavors had to be coaxed at the outset, but steadily grew and evolved throughout the smoke. Not a bad thing, but it was pleasant with RF to experience the flavor from puff one.

I don't detect a topping, but I find the taste a lot sweeter and much fruitier than with TB. It's difficult to tell where the VAs end and the orientals begin - they mingle seamlesslessly - but there seems to be a little more oriental leaf here taking the driver's seat. That, or the Izmir (of which I'm mostly inexperienced with) just has a more pronounced flavor profile. There is no mention of perique, but I would swear I can taste it, especially on the retrohale. Sweet with a lingering tart/citrus undercurrent, with hints of the usual floral and incense notes. A buddy of mine once smoked nothing but imported, mostly oriental loose-leaf tobacco that he rolled into cigarettes. He brought a no brand bag home when returning from Istanbul, and allowed me to try it. At the time I had next to little knowledge or interest in tobacco, but I remember really enjoying the flavor of that rolled smoke. RF immediately conjured that memory of 15 years ago...something about that citrus like note.

Overall first impression is I'm greatly impressed with this flake. It smells nice, burning or not. It burns evenly, cleanly, and with minimal relights. Not even a rumor of tongue bite. And I'd put the flavor in the med/full to full range. I definitely recommend, especially if you're fond of more refreshing high notes (as opposed to the dark and deep notes).

Pipe Used: MM Patriot

Age When Smoked: Tin dated 6/6/16

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (187)

I love Oriental forward blends and I think C&D's Izmir is outstanding leaf. The flavor of Regent's Flake is toasty, slightly sweet, woodsy with a bit of earth and an ample amount of piquant spice. I picture this blend as somewhat of a reimagined version of Embarcadero. One where the Izmir provides the flavor focus and the Virginias play the supporting role.

I found Regent's Flake to be very pipe dependent and I think it's crucial to run it through several pipes to experience its intricacies and discover what works best. For me, it tasted average to good in some pipes and down right sublime in others. Having smoked my share of Embarcadero, another blend that doesn't gleam in every pipe, I wasn't surprised by this. However, unlike Embarcadero, I was quite surprised at how vastly different Regent's Flake tasted pipe to pipe. In the right pipe this flake is a perfect example of how flavorful and complex Izmir can be. I can't say I notice the perique, but there is plenty of spice and some tang to the finish. The perique is condimental in its role, lending intensity to the flavor, which is plenty amplified.

In the sidestream I taste something along the lines of mace or allspice. The smoke is a bit edgy but it's not harsh. This blend is quite reminiscent of Cairo and fairly close to C&D's Oriental Silk, which I think has a bit more perique. One thing is for sure, this will make for a fantastic rich tasting Oriental-forward, non-Latakia winter smoke. The tobacco flavor strength is a firm medium, the nicotine is there and provides a nice relaxing feel but it's not too strong.

Personally, I think this is a masterpiece by Mr. Pease, and after smoking a sublime tasting 6 year old tin of Cairo, I am sure this will age equally as well, if not better.

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (13)

I am not particularly drawn to 'oriental' blends - I seem to prefer the robust Virgina and Va/Per blends, and also plug tobaccos. [The moisture seems better controlled in them??] I found the best way to load my pipe(s) to be lightly rubbing out the flake - this gave a more consistent taste, and balance of taste, in the pipes I am currently smoking [Petersen 999 and 80s - parallel sided/narrower] Also smoked in wider bowls with a taper - but here the Flake seems inclined to get a bit too "spicy" for me in them! [Petersen D/L System 9s and a Rattray 03 billiard] Mind you - I am a little undisciplined in my smoking having a 'cadence' a little too quick at times.

The Izmir leaf is fairly smoky and perhaps a bit sour but the taste is consistent throughout a 'disciplined' pipe. The burn is dry even though the flake feels slightly moist in the tin.

No re-light problems - getting 45-60 minutes from a bowl with re-lights only if put down for more than 5 minutes or so.

Noted that more moisture seems to come out of the tobacco in my tapered bowl pipes. I've also noted that if I smoke too quickly the taste rapidly becomes very sour and unpleasant.

This is proving a good after-dinner tobacco for me, and the following morning the mouth-taste remaining is more than acceptable.

Pipe Used: Petersen 80s, 999, D/L System 9s, Rattary 03

Age When Smoked: Packed 7 June 2016

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (55)

I get mostly Virginia and Perique. The Virginias are slightly sweet and lightly citrus. The Perique is spicy pepper. I get some slight nuttiness halfway through the bowl. I'm having trouble picking up any of the Oriental/Turkish in this. Strength is just above medium. Room note is difficult to describe as I live alone and have no feedback from others. I find it tolerable.

As with most new blends for me, it changes as it ages and I am likely to update this review.

This is the type of blend I enjoy.

Purchased From: Local B & M

Dave da Dragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave da Dragon (2)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

Wish I could give a detailed review of this tobacco as it sounds like it would be good but my tin marked 6 6 16 basically molded as soon as it was opened!!! Shortly there after it has a nice furry coat of mold throughout the tin.

So sad

Purchased From: Gift

Marc Ruby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marc Ruby (3)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I bought a couple tins of this because 1) I'm a fan of many Pease blends, and 2) there was no perique listed in the ingredients. So I opened the tin, filled the pipe, and lit up. My mouth was filled with the biter sting I associate with cheap perique. Into a jar it went and I figured it would take a few years to be smokeable. Weakling that I am I decided to try it again a week later. I packed a bit looser as I do for the few perique blends blends I like and much to my surprise I found myself smoking a very pleasant sweetish oriental and virgina blend. It still had a tang, but the perique had backed way off instead of going to war on my tongue. So hats off to Greg yet again. Jar it, pack it lightly and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Pipe Used: Eltang biliard

Upon opening a tin of Regent’s Flake, the scent is sour and musty. I prefer to smoke it without rubbing it out. The moisture level is pipe ready and I have smoked it that way, but when dried for a few minutes, I seem to get a little more sweetness. The Izmir leads the way but as the bowl progresses, there is a dark fruit/jam quality that emerges that I find very pleasant. The musty Izmir takes center stage at first light then the light tang and sweetness from the reds begin to show themselves. As others have mentioned there is a little citrus on the high end. There is enough sweet flavor to tease me, but the Turkish serves to mute that a bit. There is a light pepper quality that stands in the background throughout the smoke. There isn’t any bite, but the spice will really show itself If pushed. I would have enjoyed this more with a tad bit more Virginia and slightly less Izmir although lovers of that leaf will enjoy this blend. I liked it, but I think a couple of years in the cellar will provide more of what I’m looking for in this blend.

UPDATE: I just opened a tin that the PO had left out in the hot, summer Texas sun. I think that those that like to "tin bake" will find this outstanding.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My tin was more of a broken flake but that suited my normal packing technique without rubout just fine. Tin note was grassy and hay-like VAs and moisture content was ideal. Burns evenly and cool without any bite, condensation or need for extensive relights. Even though the blend is sweet overall, the rich, earthy Turkish leaf is present and well balanced. I didn't sense the Perique but the Va/Pers that I normally smoke are much more highly loaded.

Pipe Used: various bowl sizes

Age When Smoked: 6/7/16

Purchased From: smoking pipes.com

G. L. Pease - Regents Flake (Old London Series).

The blend's right on the cusp of being badged as a Broken Flake, they're still in flake form but starting to break apart. It's dark brown in colour, and of a good moistness.

At the beginning the Oriental/Turkish tobaccos' are without doubt the stronger of the bunch, with the Virginia coming in second place, and the Perique right down the scale. Then, about ten minutes in, I start to taste more of the Perique; not lots of sharpness, but it's definitely more tasty. The Oriental/Turkish comes over in a calmer style than it often can: there's very little, if any, sourness. The Virginia offers a gentle sweetness throughout: in a way that doesn't bombard me with hay and grass alone. Over the duration of a smoke I find the bowl burning steady, leaving only clean ash.

The room-note's quite pleasant, and the nicotine's about medium.

I like Regents Flake, but don't love it.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Ramazan Baglan Lee Van Cleef

Age When Smoked: One month

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (104)

This is an interesting blend, it is an oriental/virginia flake. When I openned the tin it smelled very VA heavy with that sweet hay smell and the taste has been what I expected from the smell, Virginia sweetness with a hint of oriental spice. I wish that the VAs were a bit more subdued and the orientals a bit more prominent, for me the orientals are almost hard to detect. Still it is a great smoke, I am enjoying it for what it is.

Pipe Used: Don Carlos Two Note Freehand Dublin

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (73)

I've been enjoying this flake for the past week or so. It has smoked well in all different pipes. The red Virginia seems to lead at first with its tangy sugary sweetness. The bright Virginia is very smooth and subtle with some hay. There is a dark fruit note and aroma likely from Perique. The Izmir doesn't dominate but is definitely the star here. It's smooth and spicy with some wood and sour notes here and there. Very enjoyable now and I suspect as the components have time to marry it will reach 4 stars.

cargohold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cargohold (7)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I am usually a big fan of Pease's blends but this one just did not do it for me. I found myself searching for a distinguishing taste but I found the Virginias to be very undetectable and the orientals to more forward but bland. Frankly, I didn't detect any perique at all and that condiment isn't mentioned on the tin description. Anyway I found it to be a lot like Gertrude Stein's description of a rather boring city (whose name I will not mention). She said "there is no there there". When it comes to Pease blends I will stick with Montgomery or a well aged tin of Union Square.

Pipe Used: comoy london pride billiard

Purchased From: cargo hold

Similar Blends: McClelland's grand oriental series.