From Smoking Pipes website: A rich, old-fashioned Burley blend, topped with a drop of whisky, natural vanilla extract, and a kiss of anisette makes Sutliff's Mixture 79 a soft, sweet smoke, nicely-rounded, and free of bite.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
ContentsBurley
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Anisette, Other / Misc, Vanilla, Whisky
Strength
Taste
2.2
JimInks (2058)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As this is Mixture #79 in bulk, my review is essentially the same as the one I wrote for the tub version, with a couple different observations.

The burley does show through the toppings at times, and is a little nutty with a slight sharpness when it does. The base burleys in this product are the same as those in Heine’s Blend. The sweet toppings have a number of flavors mixed in, including wintergreen, licorice (lots of that), sarsaparilla, vanilla, possibly pineapple, etc. The perfume and soap others mention is certainly ever present. I can see this appealing to smokers who like Lakeland scented tobaccos. The difference between the tub version and this one is the toppings are a little less intense and the burley a little more obvious. This is because of how bulk is usually stored at B&Ms and on-line retailers. Digging in the bags from time to time will dry the tobacco a little, and account for the mild reduction in the effect that the toppings have. Also, the toppings become a little more intense while sealed in a tin, which does not happen with the bulk. The pouch version is also just a little stronger than the bulk.

Burns fairly well with a consistent taste, though it may need some dry time. Doesn’t bite. Needs a few relights, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. The after taste seems a little more sour than the taste you get while smoking. How you rate it obviously depends upon whether or not you like the toppings, and while many hate it, it’s popular enough to continue production. Also, if you like this in bulk, you may rate this higher or lower, depending upon your preference for the strength of the topping.

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (28)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Forty years have passed since I smoked Mixture 79. I have not smoked any of the tinned version of this since, but I recently tried the Mixture 79 bulk offering. Over the past two weeks I have gone through three ounces of the blend. I have just ordered two pounds so I will have it on hand.

The reviews of the tin/pouch overwhelmingly write this off as a stinking mass of garbage, comparing it to urinal cakes, the bottom of grandma's purse, cheap perfume/cologne, soap, and worse. If these comparisons are the current state of the tin/pouch version, I'll stay away from it myself. However, reviews like these do not describe what I have experienced with the bulk.

Yes, there is the aroma of something resembling perfume in the bag and upon first light. Perhaps it's the anise, but I don't get a black liquorice flavor. After a couple of draws, that seems to meld into a lightly sweet, creamy smoke revealing hints of vanilla and a light floral mint background. Some reviewers have attributed the mint to wintergreen. That may be. All I can attest to is this: When the temperature is looking down at 95, the humidity is running over 50%, and there is not a breath of a breeze, that minty background note is more than refreshing. Someone reviewed this as a "southern take" on an aromatic. I believe it.

I have yet to encounter a soapy taste or affect. I get the creamy vanilla and light floral mint backed up by some really nice tasting nutty burley, especially during a snork. This is definitely an out of the ordinary aromatic, omitting the heavily cased black cavendish so prevalent in aromatics today.

I normally indulge in VaPers and straight Virginias. This, however, will be one of my staples, especially in the summer (which lasts from late March until early December in this neck of the woods). There is enough nicotine to hold my interest and the flavor is definitely attention-getting. Mixture 79 works equally well in briars and corncobs, but really seems to shine in my cobs. It will ghost a briar, but I haven't found it to be worse about that that other aromatics--it's just that the flavor is so different and noticeable compared to others.

I would hope some reviewers who have issued fatwas against Mixture 79 in the past will try some of this bulk. It is relatively cheap (much cheaper than the tin/pouch version) and might change their minds about the blend.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodies, Grabows, MM Legends

Age When Smoked: fresh from bulk

Similar Blends: Never had a tobacco quite like it.

oldermanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldermanpipe (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Oh, PLEASE!!! I am an old man of 64. I started smoking a pipe in 1971, and my earliest favorites were Sir Walter Raleigh, Edgeworth, Balkan Sobranie Original, Brush Creek, and State Express London Mixture. Within five years, I learned to enjoy Bond Street, Field and Stream, and Tinder Box Special. Those last three all contained a good bit of licorice, and were all long-enduring and tasty smokes.

Mixture 79 was of the same class. It has been around long-enough for a reason. People say that about skunks and Lakeland blends, as well. Curiously, skunks really don't bother me. Lakeland blends do...except now and then.

All I can really say is that this is very good burley. At least the species of burley I love. If you enjoy Edgeworth, you will probably enjoy this. Licorice? You bet!

Pipe Used: MM Washington

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes.com

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (106)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco is one of the better aromatics, but has the problem of all aromatics: the toppings obscure the tobacco flavor, which ruins a lot of the fun and produces an acidic coating to the throat. The famous toppings here seem to be a mixture of vanilla, whisky, anise, wintergreen and something floral, and this mixture while more pleasant than most aromatics, is still chokingly strong. Underneath it, a salad of Burleys and what looks like Cavendished Burley produce a sweet and nutty undertone, but it is hard to detect through the blitzkrieg of toppings. All that being said, this tobacco is far from terrible, as someone who has experienced the "Lakeland" topping and strong anise flavored tobaccos like "Irish Flake" can attest, and something about the ingredients used to flavor it forms a synergistic effect that creates a lush, opulent smell and flavor, like frankincense in tobacco form. It is unlikely that this will find its way into a shopping cart again around here, but while it is here, it will be enjoyed, and appreciated for being more interesting and flavorful than the usual fruit, liquer and sugar the people dump on ordinary aromatics.

Thanks to Pipes Magazine forum member "pipesmokingtom" for this sample, and for the accompanying pipe, which replaced a caption contest pipe lost in the mail by UPS.

Similar Blends: Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania - War Horse Green.

Jwr.nps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jwr.nps (6)
Very Mild Extra Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Ok, I am all for a heritage blend, I am a historian, I love appreciating a slice of history and thinking about the context and time from which it came. Dunhill Durbar is one of my favorite blends, the oldest in the Dunhill catalog and one of the most polarizing, but it the grandfather of Balkan blends and truly for the pallete of another time. Both Prince Albert and Carter Hall are favorites for their simplicity and elegance, a stark contrast to our time when we are bombarded with "flavor bombs" and complexity explosions. I wanted to feel this way about No. 79. I read the history, I know it's legendary, my father used to smoke it, I really wanted to like this- it sucked. The pouch note was that of anise, which I like in food and thought would be tasty in tobacco seeing as it was a standard condiment in the early 20th century. But the pleasantries ended the second I lit the bowl- it was nasty, soapy and perfumed, it tasted like my grandmother's closet. I got a 1/4 way into the bowl praying it would transition into something magical, but I kept getting disgusted with every puff- I had to ditch it.

Taste is indeed subjective and I'm sure the millions of people who listened to Montovani back in the day were surely into something I must not be getting through my modern perspective, just like No. 79....I just don't get it.

Oh, and not only did this ghost my pipe after 1/4 bowl, it ghosted my mouth, I had to gargle and rinse as the tobacco I loaded in a different pipe immediatly after still tastes like it. May have to do the Everclear/salt purge....and then do it on my pipe.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Group 4 author

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Soap, Mothballs, Garandm's closet.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Mixture #79 (#600).

I don't get this blend. The alcohol doesn't really give an actual idiosyncratic flavour, just more of an alcohol sharpness. The anisette/liquorice goes hand in hand with this, increasing the piquancy. If it weren't for the vanilla assuaging things it would become even more cutting a taste, but the slight vanilla note smooth's things out, somewhat. Something that the vanilla can't placate is the heat, it's far too warm. As well as being warm, another negative from #79 is the speed.

I don't like the note, and the nicotine's medium.

I hate to slate a blend, but try as I may this doesn't work for me. I can only give it one star:

Not recommended.