Very mild and light Virginia tobacco with a delightful vanilla/pistacchio aroma and taste.

BrandAlsbo

2.0
Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (110)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another Great Summer Blend Good draw lites easy aroma is a winner good Sweet Virginia So Good I buying 6 more Pouches and get 6 free from payless pipes

Come on guys stop blend bashing.

Hey I love this blend and it is at a wonderful price to. As first I was skeptical becuase of the price. The aroma is wonderful a very pipey aroma with a light topping fragrance of pistacchio. The room note may not be the best for the non smoke The Nicotine level is perfect for an all day smoke. the virginia in this blend and it is there gives it a smokey yet creamy flavor. It is a corss between a mild aroamtic and mild virginia. I love this stuff and I enjoy all year even in the summer.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (12)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was two bucks a pouch, so I threw some in with my last order. Very moist in the pouch, and sure enough it has a very pleasant pistachio aroma, with undertones of spice. I didn't let it dry much before smoking, and had to relight several times. All in all, this is a fine smoke that gets the job done. The pistachio smell does transfer to the bowl, but I don't taste the vanilla that others do. If you are careful, this is a sweetish, satisfying smoke that might also serve well after a sweet dessert or even in lieu of dessert. If smoked too hot, however, you will think you are smoking burning pistachio shells.

I give it three stars for price, aroma, and taste. This will def go into my "daily" rotation- I prefer the OTC blends like PA and SWR for everyday "just smoking to smoke" sessions, and save the higher-end stuff for more special occasions when I have the time to relax and enjoy the bowl. I agree with others that this would be a good blend for those considering taking up the pipe.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This was on sale for a couple bucks a pouch so tossed one into my virtual shopping cart. Hadn't read anything about it and did not even realize it was a Peter Stokkebye blend until I had it in my hands. The pouch note was very strong, quite pleasant but experience has shown me this is not a good indication of smoking flavors. It's a bit damp, probably needs to sit out for a few hours to dry but I was in a hurry and just wanted to try it. The smoke is strong, needs to be sipped otherwise it may bite. I quite enjoyed it. Strong vanilla, definite nuttiness to it (can't say it was pistachio or not), and good overall tasty smoke. For beginners, a good first choice but I think it will be more behaved with a bit of drying. I liked it enough to order a few pounds to experiment with blending, I think it will excel there. Advanced smokers with a very technical palate may not enjoy it, but IMHO its a very decent, low cost, tasty, smoke worth a try especially for novice smokers.

01 Jan 2012 Ok after smoking this a while, it does get a bit old. However it is a great blender and have found that I enjoy it most when mixed 50/50 with black cavendish. I used the really cheap "Super Value" I had laying around and it turned this tasteless tobacco into a very smooth smoke. Drying the Alsbo Gold really helps if smoking it straight btw. Still an enjoyable smoke, definitely a decent value, very happy with this tobacco.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Alsbo Gold... While ordering some restock of few of my favorites, and always checking for sales, I found this Alsbo blend, at buck and a half a pouch, how could I not at least try it? As I never heard the name before, I was consoled by the fact it's a Peter Stokkebye blend, so I knew I would not hate it, so I bought some.

A mahogany brown pouched tobacco, with an almost sticky feel, straight from the pouch. Not that uncommon with this type of blend, and nothing that some drying time could not cure. After about a half hour spread out on a plate, it was ready for a try. It starts out very mild, but gains strength as you go, with hefty volumes of slightly sweet smoke throughout the bowl. Flavor and aroma is sure enough that of pistachio, can't imagine why, but it is. Good burn and bite free, but increasing you puffing cadence does spoil it overall taste, so some puffing restraint is advised. Not for everybody, but if you enjoy aromatic blends this (IMHO) is worth a try, don't let its low price fool you into thinking this stuff is junk, it's not. For an ARO, 3 stars

PS... 11/11... Over time this blend became IMO very tiresome, and I ended up giving away my reaming stock. But that's only me, over time I find myself smoking only my favorite ARO's, and this one is not included.

chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Frankly I'm surprised by many of the basement level ratings from tobaccoreviews.com scribes below for ALSBO GOLD - this is one of the sweetest if absolutely succulent vanilla/pistachio cased mixtures I will be aggressively recommending to colleague pipe smokers for some time. Maybe I'm too mired down experiencing and reviewing standard low end OTC blends found in USA supermarkets and just not accustomed to a higher quality smoke, but for the price value this one may have few rivals. BnB Tobacco shipping on line out of Alexandria, VA offers a bundle of six, 1.5 oz GOLD pouches for just US$10.00 - a superb price. I plan to rustle up the cash for six more. An absolutely spellbinding if unsung experience for those among us who just can't get enough of the sugary aromatics. Happy hunting...

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Smaller cut than Alsbo Black, and milder.

Mostly gold with a bit of black CA. The pistachio aroma is dominant.

Another good choice for beginners.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

There was a sale of this tobacco and so because it was an aromatic I decided I couldn't go wrong for the price. Upon opening the pack there is a very strong aroma...you can smell a nutty sweetness but there is also a kind of chemical kind of scent as well. I have tried it a few times and the chemical scent mixed with a kind of hazelnut does not appeal to me. It also coats my teeth and tongue. What I will do is let this stuff sit and age a bit and come back to it. I am confident that it'll get better. Fingers crossed. For the price I would recommend to try as your taste may not be the same as mine. But I will probably not buy this again unless my experiment with aging makes it better. I will come back and re review.

BaconandTobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BaconandTobacco (15)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

At the time of purchase I was intrigued by the promise of pistacchio aroma and taste. While this tobacco does have nutty flavor, it unfortunately also has the strong taste of plastic. I was very dissapointed in the flavor of this blend.

Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

An inoffensive golden cavendish (I suspect Burley with some Virginia), smooth and mild, with a very nice room aroma. Great tobacco for beginners. Smoke it slowly and you'll be rewarded with an extremely polite experience, albeit there's not much tobacco flavor. Your surroundings will love it.

If just getting started, this one is a good option. If taken a la par with Alsbo Black, you could say these are the European equivalents of Captain Black Withe and Gold, though smoother.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (62)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Well i bought this because it was on sale, and i was not impressed. The package decribes a long history of danish tobacco herritage and excellence, i found it awful. The pouch aroma was very artificial and the cut was a little to fine for my liking. Upon lighting it asted like burning plastic, but i was told the room note was lovely. I will not buy this again, and i had to give the pouch away.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I bought this together with ALSBO Black and ALSBO Cherry. Cherry was the foulest stuff I have ever tried and Bleck was somewhat better but not so much. I found it nearly impossible to finish these two pouches - so I was reluctant to open this up.

Eventually I did and at least I did not hate it. Despite all written, I think that it does bite. The rest of the properties are OK - I just do not think that this is my dish... I cannot picture myself buying a pouch again but at least it will not be as difficult to finish the pouch.

The aroma is OK. During smoking it behaves well and it does not burn very hot. But it is so much cased that it does bite (while Black is better in this respect).

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

This tobacco is the perfect tobacco for a beginner: it is a loose cut, pistachio / nutty aroma, easy to fill and easy to smoke, and extremely mild. If smoked properly, it will not bite.

This mixture is 3/4 golden leaf and 1/4 black cavendish.

I tried this a long time ago, when it got available in Canada (beginning of the 1990s) and I found it mild then...so today, it would be like smoking air.

It's a nice tobacco, but only suitable for a beginner or smokers who like really mild blends.

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This burns very nicely and doesn't bite at all. Any flavoring is very subtle however, as mentioned, the sweet Virginia taste is also absent to some degree. All in all, I am enjoying this.

Agany Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Agany (2)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I believe that is a common error to make an aromatic mixture with too much virginias. This is the case. The bright leafs gives this mixture a strong burn and thats not good for this type of tobacco. The excessive burn kills instantly the flavour. This tobacco lakes personality. Almost no sweet taste (the ususal in virginias), a very weak room note and a awful burn.

Pipesmooker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmooker (2)

This tobacco is great to smoke every day, one of the most in use by the belgian pipesmookers!

Le Fumeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Le Fumeur (10)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I find this aromatic to be a bit like smoking rancid air. While the vanilla flavoring smells nice I must admit, nevertheless it is bland, tasteless, and a bit bitey. It also has a sour, rancid undertone. It is a very easy smoke in terms of overall strength and pungency, and so might do well for beginners, but for those who like flavor, complexity, and profundity in their tobacco, I strongly dissuade them from smoking it. Moreover, I find it very wet, and hard to keep lit through an entire bowl witout several relights.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

"Yes" it's mild & doesn't bite.Easy to light & puff's ok.But all I could taste was Vanilla.It burn't down leaving a clean ash & was well behaved to the bottom of the bowl.It would be good for those new to pipe smoking(As long as you like Vanilla)or to use as a mixer to cool a "HOT BITEY" blend perhap's. In it's class I'll give it 2 & half star's.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 2

After Taste = 2

Raw Score = 10

Rated Percentage = 17%

Comment = This is a bitter harsh blend, devoid of any Flavor, huge Bit, this is an awful smoke

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a very common Virginia. The Vanilla and the Pistacchio flavours cannot be scented. Also, it burns fast and so hot. Is is not in the same level of quality of the Alsbo Silver, wich is much better.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I bought this because it was cheap and I got what I paid for. This tobacco ghosts a pipe and you'll really need to brush your mouth after smoking a bowl to get rid of the taste. It smells very sweet in the room and in your mouth... wayyy too much for me to take. It may burn evenly and not bite, but it's too pungent for me. There are much better aromatics out there that are enjoyable experiences. This is one of the least pleasant smokes I've ever had. And it's not worth the buck a pouch that I paid for it.

DaddyWarbucks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaddyWarbucks (11)
Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant

Well... it's like $1 per ounce.

I know, I know, it's not a glowing way to start a review. Honestly, I am disappointed and confused by this tobacco.

It makes a thick, black smoke that gives me a stomach ache; I think it's so heavily cased with cheap flavoring I want to swallow the smoke. There is a slight note of burning plastic in this blend, that only sometimes overpowers the vanilla and pistachio.

I am disappointed and confused, because it tastes like it does not need to be as bad as it is... It's so-close-yet-so-far to being good. Maybe if there was less flavoring... Maybe if it was not dripping wet... I don't know how to fix it. Sometimes, I can say "hmm, I was way to harsh on this tobacco... it's pretty good", but then, a couple puffs later, I want to gag.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

UPDATE 11/19/11: This tobacco is unfortunately not worth the $2/1.5oz price I paid for it. Obviously, that's saying something for such a cheapo deal.

The tongue bite is nothing short of "weirdly incredible."

Last night I NURSED one single bowl of AG with the intent to give it a chance and to avoid tongue bite. ( I tried this blend a month ago with a similar experience.) I woke up today with my tongue numb, again, from smoking this stuff. Forget about tongue bite here or there, the entire front half of my tongue was numb. I have never had this happen with ANY aromatic or english blend. I was looking forward to starting today with a nice english blend but because my tongue was numb I figure I better take some time off. Kind of humorous actually.

Rarely have I thrown a blend I didn't like in the trash. Usually I pass it on because my dislike is someone else's favorite. This might be the blend that goes on the ash heap of history. File this under: You get what you pay for.

FURTHER UPDATE 11/29/11: Well, I have figured out how to make this stuff smokable. I left the bag wide-open on my desk for 10 DAYS and VOILA the tongue bite is basically gone and it has become a tolerable smoke. I cringe to think of all the chemicals that had to dissipate to make this smokable.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Very similar to Captain Black Gold. The same structure here. No tons of flavour and aroma here, but overall a somewhat decent Danish aromatic. Beginners may like this one. Not for me...

Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is probably the mildest and tasteless tobacco I have ever tried. The pistachio casing is also not what I would call the best one (whether it be pistachio, or another) I have had the opportunity to taste in a tobacco.