A mixture of broken Virginia flake, and flavoured American tobaccos. Originally blended for a customer, but fast becoming our best seller!

BrandJames Barber
Manufactured ByJames Barber
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish, Virginia
CutMixture
Strength
Taste
2.0

James Barber - Old Judge.

This is another of the 'lesser known blends' that I've been trying to review lately.

The construction of the blend is fairly coarse, there's not many pieces big enough to necessitate rubbing, but it clearly contains a lot of broken flakes. It's slightly moist but not entirely soaked: a short airing will suffice. The main smell from the pouch is a vanilla one, there are a few others but this is the leader.

Enough about the unlit mixture, I'll talk about the smoke: for the initial part the vanilla domineers the flavour, it takes a short while for the other flavours to come to light. When they do I'm sure I can taste a sort of honey sweetness; I can't say if this is coming from the Black Cav's manufacturing process or a deliberately added flavour? I also get a slight herbiness in the flavour profile; to be fair, this is what reduces the rating, I'm not too keen on this. After about ten minutes the honey addition has disappeared completely: the only sweetness I get is what I'd expect from the B.C. by itself.

Finally, I'd put the nicotine down as being mild, and the room-note as being pleasant.

This is a good blend, like I said though, if it weren't for the herby taste I'd score it higher: without the herbs it'd get three-four, but with them it's stuck at two.

Somewhat recommended.