The unsliced version of Samuel Gawith's Cabbies Mixture.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
CutRope
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

StevieB’s review of Cabbie’s Uncut had me rolling as it matches my thoughts as well so not much to add here. I really liked, and reviewed Cabbies Mixture when it first arrived here in the States and cellared quite a bit of it. At the time, I felt that it was just hair short of a full four stars and with a tad bit more of age, it would be simply killer good. The uncut version arrived quite wet, which being from SG is no surprise and nothing one of the wife’s good steak knives couldn’t fix as I choose to chop it up fine after a lot of dry time. I also smoked it unrolled and roughly cut. This turned out to be my favorite way and tipped the scales to four full stars for me as it really gave me great shots of Perique. Yes, it’s a pain in the arse to prepare, but there are more ways to smoke it and my uneducated guess is that in uncut form the cellar experience will be better.

Similar Blends: Cabbies Mixture.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Samuel Gawith - Cabbies Uncut.

Cabbies Uncut raises this question to me: why make more work for yourself? I think, the only benefit of CU would be if you found the regular mixture to be nowhere near chunky enough, other than that I can't really see the point in wasting time in preparation when it's available pretty much ready to smoke from a tin. Enough petty whinging, I'll get on with it!

The twist looks quite thick in its un-sliced form, and it's also firm; this takes a sharp blade and a steady hand to ready it for smoking. As well, it's in keeping with the usual amount of wetness expected from Sam G'; slice it then let it dry! There really isn't much of a difference between Mixture and Uncut where the smoking qualities are concerned; unless you prefer VERY chunky tobacco, thus slicing it thicker!

As I found with the tinned version, the Perique gives more flavour than just spice alone; it's nowhere near as sharp as some VaPers; more of the peppery taste, and less of the 'cooling sensation' on the palate.

The Virginia makes up a large proportion of the smoke's taste, as you'd expect: grassy, hay-like, and slightly citrus.

The flavour from Cabbies Uncut is superb, but, as I'm quite lazy all it's really done is remind me how much I like the tinned Mixture!

Four stars for the smoke and two stars for the prep' time; that, I believe, makes this worth three stars!

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef Meer'

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos