Over two centuries of craftsmanship contribute to the creation of Amphora Extra Mild Cavendish: a blend of over 20 tobaccos, their natural character enhanced by just a whiff of aroma.

This aroma slightly sweetens the blend. The Cavendish process weds, under well controlled humidity and temperature, all ingredients to an invisible whole. Amphora Mild Aroma: a slow burning, extra mild pipe tobacco with a gentle sweet aroma.

Notes: Formerly known as Amphora Mild Aromatic.

BrandDouwe Egberts
Blended ByDouwe Egberts
Manufactured ByDouwe Egberts
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Oriental/Turkish
Packaging1.75 ounce pouch, 12 ounce tin
CountryNL
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

2.7
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The nutty, earthy, mildly cocoa sweet burleys were the lead component. The lightly spicy and floral, woody, earthy, dry and mildly buttery sweet Orientals played a secondary role. The sugary black cavendish was mostly a condiment. I’m not sure about the toppings as time has likely affected their potency, but there was a light mint note, light caramel and a touch of something fruity that I couldn’t identify. The strength was mild while the taste level was a step past that. The nic-hit was mild. Didn’t bite, but burned a tad warm and clean with a consistent flavor to the finish. Left very little dampness in the bowl, and needed an average number of relights. The after taste was pleasant and short lived. An all day smoke.

-JimInks

stressmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stressmoker (5)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I found an old pack of this - unopened - and decided to try it. It don't know how old it was - it was quite dry to the touch - but damn was it pleasant! the taste was mild and sweet, the smoke was warm and rich. I was bummed out as hell when i discovered that it was out of production. I thought I wouldn't even bother with trying out other tobaccos, by how much I enjoyed it.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a few tubs of these on ebay and just recently cracked one to try. The tins appear to date back to the 70's. In the past I had not had such good experience with tobacco with this kind of age on it, but this was in pretty good shape. The tin did not offer a very tight seal and the tobacco inside was within a plastic bag with a twist tie sealing the top.

I believe some of the topping may have flashed off this as it was very lightly detectable. It was a sort of fruity/whiskey type topping from what I could detect. I did rehydrate the whole tub before smoking as it was a little on the dry side, but not crispy, crumbly dry. The leaf smoked great and was definitely mostly burley nutty sweet. There is an oriental presence that I seem to pick up more in the side stream than I do in the firsthand smoke. The sidestream is quite pleasant.

It was an easy smoking blend, Mild, as the name suggests. I don't think it is something I will lament once my supply is gone and, since I have four of the tins, I may even trade some out in the future. Two stars for me.

Age When Smoked: 40 ish years