Russ' Monthly Blend - Log Cabin is just the kind of blend you can imagine puffing on while sitting on the front porch of a cabin on a lake. This is a blend of two different Burleys - one with no top note, and one that's been lightly sweetened. This is combined with a nice helping of a toasted, unflavored black Cavendish, with a natural brown sugar flavor. The mixture is completed by the inclusion of some Virginia to add a toastiness. The room note is light, but pleasant, and this cool blend is mild and gentle enough to enjoy all day. The mellow sweetness will make Log Cabin a great companion while taking a hike or out in the boat fishing. Actually, we think you'll enjoy it pretty much anytime, anywhere.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured Bypipesandcigars.com
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (298)

I received a sample of Log Cabin from a good friend and although not one that I would have purchased on my own, I was glad I got to try it. I can see how this blend might have a slightly bitter aftertaste as Russ's aromatics are usually Cavendish based and Log Cabin seems to be Burley based. I tried different smoking cadences over 5 bowls, the faster I smoked the bowl, the faster the bitterness came out but overall it is a very mild blend and has a very pleasant room note (I was told). A tad more strength than some of Russ' other aromatics, Burley forward with the Virginia and Cavendish popping up now and then, light nicotine that never really reaches medium and a great blend to break in a new pipe.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (90)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I don't know if I got something a little different than the other reviewers here, but I did not find any of the mentioned bitterness with log cabin whatsoever. On the contrary, I am thoroughly impressed! Admittedly, I am not much of an aromatic fan, but I gave this one a go since it is uniquely burley based. The first bowl was a little moist, and having just smoked some Black House, the flavors log cabin must have been much subdued. I found unremarkable. However, the second, third, and fourth bowls, I allowed to dry for at least a half hour and I began to have a revelation...this stuff is fantastic and just keeps getting better! After 4 oz. I've gone from leaning towards a 2 star rating to wishing I could rate higher than 4 stars. Very well done as an aromatic.

I don't really know how to classify the flavor profile here - it's definitely unique. The Cavendish plays a very small role (that's a positive note), and just smooths out the burley and adds a delicious, lingering finish of sweetness. If you've tried or are a fan of John Patton SF, I find it similar but a tad more flavorful and smooth, completely without the occasional sharpness of cigar leaf in SF. Burn characteristics are fantastic. After proper drying time I found zero tongue bite and a cool, even burn all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Never even had to relight. Being burley based, I pack it lightly, maybe just a little past gravity filled, and I always use a middle sized thick walled pipe as with my other burley favorites. The room note is extraordinary - I love walking back into the room in which I earlier smoked a bowl of this. Definitely wife approved.

If you're on the fence about trying, my advice is to give it a shot. It's become a favorite of mine, and your results may vary, but I am increasingly a fan of these blends that narrowly ride the fence between aromatic/non-aromatic(like Cult Conspiracy). This is a proper aromatic for non-aromatic diehards. Well done again Russ!

Similar Blends: John Patton Storm Front, Cult Conspiracy (minus the latakia).

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was given a sample of this from my Nephew who belongs in the P&C tobacco of the month club. I was excited about trying this one as he liked it and shortly before he sent it to me, I remember another friend of mine remarking on how he enjoyed it as well.

Well, I was greatly let down by this one. It is probably a specific thing to me alone, but I was constantly left with a bitter after taste not unlike that of a diet soda. It is hard to explain. I added this blend to TR and really could not discern the aromatic flavors at all as a result of this bitterness. This is something that the other two aforementioned individuals did not experience, so I did not know why it effected me.

As it pertains to those two individuals, they certainly hadn't just fell off the turnip truck as it comes to pipe smoking, so the first star is for me and the second one is for them and hopefully, no one sends me anymore of this.

mightysmurf8201 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mightysmurf8201 (20)

Very burley forward blend, with a mild top note of sweetness. The description says brown sugar, which sounds about right. Almost reminds me of half and half, but much better quality. That being said, I didn't find this blend spectacular, although I can see how some people might really enjoy it. A decent amount of drying is necessary, or it will burn the heck out of your toungue. One of those blends that some will love and others will not care for. I lean towards the latter. Smokes best in a briar.

Pipe Used: Cob, briar

Age When Smoked: new-1 yr.