Hand selected Virginias and double fermented black cavendish. Wilde cut with the addition of natural fruit flavours.

BrandMcGahey The Tobacconist
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
Retrotecchie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Retrotecchie (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

What can I say. I loved it. A friend was visiting Exeter just before Christmas and spotted McGaheys and had a sudden flash of inspiration regarding a Christmas gift for me. I know it's a bit of a cliche - what do you get a bloke who has pretty much everything he needs? - but she knows I like my pipe and treated me to a couple of loose tobaccos. I really enjoyed the Huccaby Dane, and found it to be a very enjoyable smoke and even my other half (who barely tolerates my pipe smoking) actually enjoyed the aroma.

Anyway, I'm not going to go all 'wine-snob' and say I could tell what blends of leaf were in this mixture, although the zest of citrus was definitely there, but I found this to be a very pleasant smoke indeed and was rather upset that they don't have this blend at my local tobacconist. Oh well....when all else fails, there is always mail order!

Pipe Used: Falcon

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks after purchase

Purchased From: McGaheys, Exeter

McGahey - Huccaby Dane. My reviewing of lesser known blends continues.

The mixture contains both Black Cavendish and Virginia in quite equal quantities. It has been left really coarse when rubbed; there are still some big 'leafs' of tobacco in there. It gives off a smell that has a little more than just a hint of citrus, it's not too strong smelling but easily noticed. Even though the pieces are large they've not retained lots of water, it can be smoked straight away:

The flavour from the tobacco matches the pouch's smell well. Again, the aromatics can be identified as fruit but the smoke doesn't have a huge, bitterness to it that can sometimes emanate from citrus; to me, it seems a lot more like lemons or oranges than darker fruits, apples etc. I don't get much Virginia taste, I mainly get a sort of vanilla type flavour from the Cavendish. The temperature of the smoke is a cool one, it burns good and gives me only a little bite; to do this it needs to be puffed hard.

Huccaby Dane is a good blend. Would I add it to my rotation? No, not my 'cup of tea'. Do I rate it? Yes, I think three stars is about apt.

Recommended.