Blended Kentucky leaf

Notes: From Smoking pipes' web site: Samuel Gawith's Lakeland Dark is a powerful mixture, as it should be; it is in essence a tonquin-less variation on the famed (and very robust) 1792 Flake. Dark, smooth, and strong, it's well suited to a satisfying after-meal smoke.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Blend TypeVirginia Based
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Full

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (102)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A broken flake, Lakeland Dark is 1792, without the added tonquin bean flavouring. I must have got one of the first tins off the production as I could still taste a hint of tonquin, however, allowing this to dry a for a while I was left with a strong robust Virginia with a nicotine kick so strong (mind you as was smoking this last thing at night after about 10 bowls of Golden Glow and warrior plug) I thought I had met my Waterloo, however, the more I smoked this, the more I liked it. A small bowl will do nicely and I sleep like a baby, love it. This tobacco is definately not for the novice or the faint hearted

Pipe Used: Parker reject

Purchased From: My smoking shop

Mr. Bentley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Bentley (17)
Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is THE stuff!

I'd been dying to try Lakeland Dark for sometime, but the one mail-order place in the US where I could find it, was out of stock for the longest time. Finally got restocked, and I ordered some immediately....and WOW!

I generally prefer GH&C offerings- but in this case, Sam Gawith takes the cake! This is a strong tobacco, with a good deal of nicotine, and very well-mannered. It provides a rich, full, creamy smok; and despite it being a shag (I normally prefer ropes and flakes) it doesn't even heat up nor bite.

The best part is the flavor! It has a complex flavor which is hard to describe. I usually find SG products too subtle and lacking in flavor....but this one is the exception! There is abundant flavor- nay, many flavors.....including a hint of Lakeland essence. No one flavor jumps out at you- but rather, they weave a unique medley, wafting through each puff, to create a rich, sophisticated and complex smoke with every puff.

Sophisticated, yes- but yet, don't be fooled, this a real-man's old-world tobacco- not some sissy "boutique" clap-trap. It's really the best of both worlds. Perfection!

This has become my new favorite- and will likely stay so- as I can't envision ever finding anything better- this is what I've been looking for!

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Strong

I hate to say this, but I really can't imagine anyone smoking this tobacco for fun. It is very strong, very harsh,and remains that way throughout the bowl. It will wear you down like Sherman's army. I have done my duty in the name of science, but I won't be smoking this stuff again.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Need a bit of a pick me up? Need to feel like a man for an hour? Has the flavor of Pirate Kake become just too bland for you? Is your tongue really made out of leather? These are just a few questions you can answer after having a bowl of this wonderfully flavorful but dangerously strong tobacco. If you are a fan of intensely strong and extremely flavorful VA tobaccos this blend is for you. Just be careful to smoke it slowly and be sure to sit down. The earthy and sweet flavors will be your reward. put it in a group three or smaller pipe, and enjoy!

Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It's dark fired. I happen to like that, so got a tin first chance I got.

My first tin remained in the cellar for a few months while I was going through other blends. On opening, I got a full tilt note of, well, dark fired tobacco. And the implied Lakeland topping, which took a few weeks to evaporate. The leaf is a very dark broken flake and needs some extra rubbing out as well as some drying (it's an SG blend...). Lighting may be a bit tricky; I sometimes need a second match.

The flavour is sourish-sweet with a little meatiness and a touch of liquorice (not a flavouring, I would say), and the burn is slow and somewhat uneven, but well manageable without getting too hot. I have only a few little bits of dottle at the end among the grey ashes.

Lakeland Dark is not nearly as strong as the SG ropes I like to smoke in the evening, but it certainly is not beginner material, either. Good Nic kick, and when the topping is gone, also a nice, malty-dark room note. I do recommend, but with the warning that it's not everybody's darling and will probably overwhelm most beginners.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Viking, VAUEN Barontini

Purchased From: DanPipe, Lauenburg, Germany

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - HH Old Dark Fired Ready-Rubbed, Mac Baren - HH Bold Kentucky.

Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Full bodied, but not as strong in nic as I expected. Still though, it has a good bit. The Virginias and Kentucky provide about an equal amount of flavor. The Virginias have the same basic flavor that you find in the ropes, The Kentucky is earthy, woody, mildly spicy and a touch acrid. I wish there were a little less Kentucky and more Virginia. There's very little sweetness and I think it could benefit from some. There's very little evolution throughout the bowl. What you get at the beginning is pretty much what you get at the end. It does get just slightly smoother. I get just a touch of Lakeland floral in briar and clay. I get none in a cob. Other than that I noticed no difference. Two stars is the best I can give this one.

I'm gonna rate this as strong, but I'm referring to body when I do. I'd rate nicotine at medium to strong. Extremely mild flavoring. Taste is full. Burns very well whether rubbed out or left as is. Like SteelCowboy did, I'm gonna post this under both listings.

Pipe Used: Jobey pot, MM Country Gentleman, Dutch Gouda

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am posting my comments under Lakeland Dark and Lakeland Dark Flake because the new blend in the States, called Lakeland Dark meets the description listed under Lakeland Dark Flake however there is no mention of the word “Flake” on the tin, only Lakeland Dark here or in the EU that I can find. In both cases, the tin photo is simply that of Lakeland Dark. With that out of the way, I bought a couple of tins when it was recently released here in the States and left one open for nearly two weeks as it was very wet. It was worth the wait. The tin note is herbal, leathery and smoky. I prefer it in a small bowl and was “wowed” at first puff. Typical Lakeland style treatment with no topping that I can detect. For a fairly simple tobacco, it is complex, slightly sweet. Cool burning, it is best sipped to enjoy the earthy, leathery, smoky flavor. Since 1792 ages quite well, I would expect this great smoke to be even better in a few years with the Virginia component only getting sweeter. I find myself now pushing my few remaining tins of 1792 to the back of the closet to make room for this excellent, somewhat strong broken flake. This is going to be a love or hate blend for many, but fans of this type of Lake District tobacco will not be disappointed!

MAGNUM207 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MAGNUM207 (1)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Samuel Gawith- Lakeland Dark is an extremely flavorful, creamy, full-strength, broken-flake tobacco. Within ten-minutes of air drying out of the tin, it packed easily. About three lightings and it was smoking smoothly with no bite, whatsoever. Unless you are used to smoking Black XX or Rope #4 on a daily basis, I would caution you to sip this mixture, as it can sneak up on your bloodstream in quick fashion. In my opinion, this full-strength tobacco is creamier and "slightly" less full than the aforementioned Black XX/Rope #4, with absolutely no harshness. I would highly recommend this tobacco to anyone wanting to experience a deliciously strong, well-balanced tobacco.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade "Unicorn Sable"

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith Black XX Rope.

tomobedlam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomobedlam (16)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

I've been smoking my way through several of the S. Gawith and G&H bulk tobaccos and was looking for a rope, which I haven't smoked in some time, but my local shop was out of it, so I landed on this blend, which has a similar fragrance to the ropes, actually its smell is somewhere between the unscented ropes and the full flakes. The cut was fairly narrow and comes in clumps that were pretty moist in mine, and could have benefitted from a little airing out, but I'm an impatient sort and I crammed it in my locally made Andre pipe and lit up. On lighting the flavor and aroma seems akin to G&H Dark Flake: a full and thick herby flavor totally unlike other dryer virginia flakes. I didn't experience any "harshness" as others have remarked upon, but I suppose it may be a matter of taste. As this is a high nicotine tobacco I saved it for my late night smoke out on the porch. I sat reading my book puffing away when it hit me. Phew! 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky! Still, it isn't at the psychedelic/bummer tent level of the ropes. About half way down my pipe was gurgling and I had to run a pipecleaner through to clear the stem. Next time I'll dry it out a bit I think after rubbing it out. This is really just an occasional blend for me, but I like it and I'll smoke it again, it might even be nice to blend in and ratchet up a lighter blander tobacco I might not smoke otherwise. This blend is not going to be for everyone, but its nice if you want something unusual and have a chair to sit in. Um, don't smoke this while operating heavy machinery.

Mawnan Smiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mawnan Smiff (25)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I was rather intrigued about this particular blend after reading many reviews. My tastes tend to lean towards stronger blends and after a not particularly interesting experience with 1792 flake gave this one a try, it is after all supposed to be 1792 minus the tonquin flavourings.

Opening the tin I was presented with a mish mash of coarse shreds, predominantly dark brown in colour with some jet black in there too. Tin note was of nice new leather shoes. Not your namby pamby slip-ons but a nice pair of Northampton made stout brogues. Moisturewise it was typically wet as all SG and G&H blends tend to be so the contents of the tin were tipped out onto a tray to get some air around those shreds.

I loaded up my McQuade bulldog and fired up. Despite two hours of airing it still took a while to get a decent burn but I got there. The first thing that struck me was the taste of burning tar or rubber and I recalled reading in at least one review that someone had made the same observation, not a good start!

Once settled flavours more associated with tobacco came to the fore. Smoky wood and bitter chocolate with a little burnt coffee is what I got from this blend. Nicotine became very apparent come mid bowl but not eye crossingly so. Some folks are put off this blend purely because of the nicotine content! One thing I would like to add is that at no time did I taste any of the famous/infamous 'Lakeland Sauce' which was a welcome surprise.

This is most certainly a very strong blend and not one for beginners. The flavours are pretty consistent throughout the bowl leaving a damp squidgy dottle at the bowl's finish.

Interestingly the listed components of the broken flake variety (which is what is reviewed here) simply states Virginia tobacco whereas for the flake version they mention Kentucky & Virginia. As to whether mine has Kentucky or not I am not sufficiently experienced in the minutiae of tobacco blends to comment.

Would I buy this again? I'm not too sure I would. It wasn't an unpleasant blend but it was a tad overpowering for me. Perhaps if mixed 50/50 with a sweet straight Virginia (Golden Glow?) it might make for a more mellow smoke. I would give this 5/10.

Pipe Used: McQuade bent bulldog & Bernina bent billiard.

Age When Smoked: Fresh.

Purchased From: Mysmokingshop.com

Similar Blends: Nothing yet smoked..

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (34)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: I expect this blend will sing with age.

As a fan of Bracken Flake, 1792, and GH Dark Flake, the initial bowl from the tin was rather disappointing. It seemed full but muddy: strong but rather bland. Not entirely pleasant, I admit.

However, there seemed to be some promise in there, so into a jar it went for a few weeks. Now it has begun to come to life, as though it just needed to spread its wings a bit. The flavor is now still full but more nuanced, more coherent. It is satisfyingly full and flavorful.

This strikes me as a blend that will continuously improve with age - really developing its depth of flavor to match its fullness. I look forward to storing more of this away to enjoy several years from now.

As with 1792, I find this works best in a low, wide bowl. It requires a bit of drying, but its fairly lenient in this regard.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Qandale

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake, Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Dark Flake.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

For those who love Gawith tobaccos, the Lakeland series (Light and Dark) is not one to be missed. It contains most of what people seem to like (and dislike) about S.G. in general, doing what the English company has done well for so many years ? make a full-flavored, robust blend for the smoker to enjoy. The aroma in my sample 2oz bag is familiar, that perfumy/soapy scent that hangs in much greater degree about any and all S.G. plug and rope tobaccos. A dark and musty scent competes as well, totally lacking in the usual softening of Virginia sweetness. In appearance the tobacco is very dark, black and brown/black being the only discernable colors. The cut is very marrow, medium to long in length, and came to me in a collection of loosely pressed chunks that fell apart quite easily. The moisture level of my sample was low; indeed, this tobacco was nearly as dry as a C&D blend. Packing was easy, once the chunks were separated, and lighting was very quick. This blend burns very well, needing a lower than average number of relights. The initial flavor in the first third of the bowl is dark and musty, very close to the bag aroma of the tobacco. There are nutty elements, almost as if Burley was present, and there is the normal initial harshness I?ve come to expect from S.G. blends. It ?catches? at the back of my throat, and I would not dream of exhaling this through my nose at this point! Nevertheless, the smoke is very flavorful, dark, and fairly complex. I have also noticed that caution is needed with this ? the high nicotine content is obvious from the first. The second 1/3 is similar in flavor to the first, though the harshness is not as bad. There is increasing smoothness, complimented by slightly more complexity in the smoke. I have noticed no moisture at all to this point. In the final third, the annoying harshness is totally gone, leaving a smother, darker, and still complex flavor. This is by far the best part of the bowl, perhaps better than ?good?. There has been a total lack of bite throughout the smoke. The nicotine is not weak, and I?m really noticing it at this point; don?t use a large pipe for this, unless you are used to it!. Despite the kick, I am able to smoke this to the bottom of the bowl, clean and dry the whole way. Overall, I?d call this a good tobacco, very good or better if not for the harshness at the start. The finish is almost worth it, but can?t quite offset the first two thirds for myself. If you don?t mind (or even like!) this initial flavor, you should truly enjoy this high-quality dark Virginia blend. I, however, prefer Esoterica or McClelland Virginias, and will likely not order more of this when I run out.

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (41)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Conclusion: This is a potent and forceful tobacco. It does not apologize, nor should it - it is quite good. For those times when one wants to unwind, let go of the days troubles, this is perfect.

Taste: A deep, dark taste of earth, salt, leather, coffee and spice with hints of floral notes comes through at first light. This keeps building in intensity through the bowl and the spice grows stronger as the earthy leather grows bolder. There is sweetness in this, but not as in honey or caramel but rather it is like that piece of dark chocolate that goes with a nice espresso. This is full flavour at every draw, and it lingers on the tongue long after the conclusion of the smoke, notes of sweet leather, spice and coffee. Some have complained that this is a harsh smoke, I do not agree but rather I would say it is a strong, bold smoke. If one is not a seasoned smoker, this might be too strong and therefore be perceived as harsh or coarse, thus I would recommend that new smokers think twice about trying this. At least I would recommend them to have but a small bowl at first.

Mechanics: A ready rubbed, comes less wet than the typical Gawith but is still a bit hard to keep lit and will require some relights. As for the nicotine, this is one of the strongest blends that I have tried - I am used to strong tobacco but this really warms my chest (and I do not inhale). No bite at all, really kind for a virginia.

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith 1792 flake and/or Toscano cigars.

Timelysmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Timelysmoker (5)
Extremely Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

I quite liked this, no bite and it's quite creamy even if you puff like a locomotive. I got tastes of light oaked rum and bananas.

There is however a load of nicotine (a good thing!), this will hit the back of your throat and give you a nice lift. Perfect after a big lunch before an afternoon snooze. So for me not an every day smoke (and I wouldn't want be become acclimatised to that much nicotine).

Leave it for 10 minutes to dry a little beforehand though.

Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

10 reviews so far, and it seems as if there are 3 or more very different tobaccos being discussed. The tin I've been working through is a broken flake, and what I get is unrelieved Dark Stoved VA and Kentucky flavors -- certainly much more so than I would have expected from unflavored 1792 (if that's what this actually is, then that Tonquin in 1792 is applied with an even heavier hand than I would have believed). Very moist in the tin, although it dries fairly quickly; certainly easier to light and kept lit than 1792. If you get a tin like mine and enjoy Dark Stoved and Kentucky, you'll likely enjoy it to some greater or lesser degree. To me, it's good, but I wouldn't want it to be in a regular rotation.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: 2 months after purchase

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

shakenbake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shakenbake (7)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had the good fortune to buy two tins of this blend from one of my favourite suppliers. However, I would not say that it is similar to 1792 Flake without the tonkin flavouring; more like Bracken without the coumarin, IMHO.

Out of the tin, it smells like Black XX or possibly Brown No. 4, due to the curing process it has gone through.

The cut is more like a ribbon cut than a shag, being broader cut than fine cut. The tobacco is a beautiful dark brown to black, moderately moist and fragrant. It is relatively easy to pack, and light, and stays lit for a long while after it takes to the flame, needing an occasional tamping to keep it going. The ash is a dark grey.

I did not notice too much change in flavour from the beginning to the end of the bowl. However, it is a strong tobacco and becomes somewhat stronger near the end of the bowl. Vitamin N is there in large doses. This would be a good smoke after a heavy meal, or before bedtime. There was quite a bit of moisture in the dottle, possibly due to its relatively young age, or the fact that I was smoking it outdoors on a cool, damp day. Nonetheless, it did keep burning with a coaxing of a pipe tamper.

I should want to give the contents of the tin a bit of time to breathe, to see if it helps a bit with the moisture accumulation, and to see if the tobacco mellows out and/or develops some complexity. All-in-all, for a first go, I would recommend it, to the more experienced pipe smoker.

Pipe Used: Old Royal Bent Dublin (35-year-old pipe)

Age When Smoked: Fresh? Recenly Releaed

Purchased From: Somokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Black XX Twist (Rope), Samuel Gawith - Bracken Flake.

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (43)
Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong

Samuel Gawith makes some of the best pipe tobacco available . I have been enjoying it for many years . I have avoided their tobaccos heavy with Lakeland flavoring because I simply do not enjoy it . I was a little excited when I discovered this tobacco which was billed as 1792 flake without the tonquin . I opened my can with anticipation and found a darkish broken flake that looked inviting . The tin note gave out a strong aroma of Lakeland flavoring and I began to doubt my good luck . When I lit it up I was overcome with one of the foulest tasting blends that I have ever tried . It actually got me sick , I was unable to finish the bowl . Now , for people who like Lakeland flavoring this might be a fine tobacco . This , however was way over the hill with the Lakeland . I can tolerate Lakeland in some of the G & H mixtures because it is not flavored as strongly but this blend was simply unsmokable . I am not putting down Samuel Gawith for marketing this blend because I'm sure there are many folks out there who enjoy that type of flavoring . I will look for one of those guys to give the rest of this tin to . I will continue to smoke the many great blends made by Samuel Gawith but not this one .

Two weeks later....... My friend Tad Gage told me this wasn't as bad as I had thought so I opened the can and tried another smoke . The Lakeland smell was pretty much gone and the tobacco still looked inviting so I tried a bowl in a nice Parker pat# . I was shocked to find it wasn't that bad , actually some high notes of flavor at one point . Although this is not one of SG's finest hours I will now rate it as a smoke, mind you , just . Maybe the key to Lakeland is to let it sit in the can a while , a long while.