Notes: Red Virginia, Turkish, Burley, Latakia, and Perique form the basis for this medium strength English blend. We consider this to be a perfect introduction to English style pipe smoking.

BrandSuper Value
Strength
Taste

3.1
JimInks (2028)

The red Virginia is dark fruit sweet with a little earth. The bright Virginia is grassy and citrus sweet. The burley provides a lightly nutty sweetness. The smokey, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is a major player, though it never dominates the experience. The perique is a minor ingredient, more plum than pepper. Also added to the mix is some Turkish, which seems to be Smyrna, which is woody and buttery with a very slight sour, musty note. Well balanced with a little complexity, it burns smoothly at a moderate rate with few relights, and a consistent flavor to the finish. Will burn to the last ember as it leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl without bite. The nic-hit is mild. The strength and taste is right at being medium. The after taste and room note are pleasant. It’s an all day smoke that won’t dull your senses, and would make a good starter English blend as well as a comfortable companion for one experienced with blends in this genre.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Nope, no way, no how. No way is this what is in the pouch. Don't believe it and you can't make me.

We have all heard the saying, "Good isn't cheap, and cheap isn't good". Well, that philosophy is out the window. After smoking this blend, I cannot believe how great this "Super Value" English is. $3.99 for 1.5oz? Yes please.

When I added this to my order, skeptical was an understatement. Upon opening the pouch, There is a faint chocolate aromatic aroma, with a slight smokiness in the back ground. Comprised of a good amount of bright leaf, with flecks of dark brown mixed in. The Latakia in this blend is very light in color and flavor. On lighting, it holds a match well, emits a wonderful sweet but smoky aroma that even the wife had no problem admitting she fancied. Stay lit, even being distracted while messing around on these here interwebs. Sweet, almost cased flavor, with a slight and pleasant sweetness. This is a total beginner blend, but veterans will have no problem enjoying this as well. Perfect introduction into the English world, a great "cross-over blend" as they say. I am fortunate enough to have a very tolerable wife who doesn't mind my pipe in the house. I find when you are relaxed, in your easy chair without worry or hurry, it brings a whole new arousal to your senses. They are heightened, acute, and more accurate.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I just recently finished a sample of this and it was just a "meh" blend for me. I will say that it was better than I expected it to be, but the expectation bar was extremely low.

This reminded me very much of Man's Best Friend and R Blend, but I actually think this one is a little better than both of those blends. It has the feel of a revelation knock off, such is R blend. An American English blend with a very soft latakia touch. Really everything is just too soft on this one for my taste.

I found this one be kind of lacking flavor in the first third, then the flavor does really develop and it is a nutty sweet, yet innocuous, taste. There is variation in the differing elements, but IMO, they all sort of whisper making smoking this a kind of boring pursuit. Sometimes a boring pursuit is something nice to smoke, particularly when the blend is incapable of biting you as this one is. I would think if I was mindlessly puffing while something else was consuming my thoughts, this could be a good thing to be puffing on. The price on this one is, no doubt, an attractive element as well.

To rate a blend like this, I need to compare it to others of the same ilk and I find, that for me, I enjoy the C&D American English blends as they just have more gusto with the elements that are used. Not a direct comparison, but I also would rather smoke blends like 965 or Scottish types that employ burley with latakia such as many Rattray blends.

I am giving this one two stars as there are just too many others that I would rather smoke, even Sutliff's own Revelation Match, which shares a lot of elemental leaves with this one, is far superior to this one IMO. The second star is the price and the fact that it will most likely better anyone's expectations.

I have also put down extremely mild as to a flavoring rating as I think something must have been added as the sweetness seems to be non tobacco derived. I could be wrong.

Similar Blends: Sutliff R blend and revelation match..

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Light to dark in color, this had a pouch aroma of mostly latakia but a deeper snoot also showed the perique scent and some light orientals. This review is based on half a dozen bowls, so take it for what it's worth. I doubt it would show anything further with subsequent bowls but you never know.

I typically don't read other reviews around the time I'm smoking a new blend and there's a reason... Tall Puff O' Burley nailed my review for me and did it better than I ever could. See his review. As he did, I found the flavor in this one to be very dumbed down, although I could taste the constituent tobaccos, at least some of the time. Overall I was bored. To top it off, there's a flavoring of some kind in here but I couldn't place it, and there was a slight but noticeable chemical taste, which I attribute to PG. To be fair, if any blender plans on marketing a blend in a pouch (at least in the U.S), they probably add copious amounts of PG because you never know how long it will sit on a shelf before someone buys it. But it helped to downgrade my rating of this one, along with the too-wispy tobacco flavor. I think it's great that Sutlff has put out an English blend for the OTC market, but for my tastes this one would be useful only as something to puff on (with latakia and perique) while performing some mind-enveloping task. The tobaccos in this blend just don't assert themselves enough for relaxing enjoyment. The day after this was gifted to me, someone sent me a pouch of the John Bull, which I would expect will better this one significantly. We'll see. This is better than I thought it would be based on the blending house and its intended use, and it wasn't bad at all - just sort of pointless in my opinion. Others enjoy it, so I'll leave it for them.

Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm very surprised at the existing reviews not really addressing the Vanilla flavor in this blend. I've never been a fan of the Vanilla /Latakia combo, I find it distracting. I'll agree that it's only a very light use of Vanilla, but I would have really enjoyed this blend had it not been there.

This blend is basically a very mild English, with only a touch of Latakia , a small touch of Perique that doesn't bring a spice and all at a great price. Had this blend had about 10% more Latakia , 5% more Perique and no vanilla, it would have been worthy of an all day blend for me, as is, I won't buy again.

Pipe Used: cob

Similar Blends: a less flavorful and milder McC Frog Morton, or Bald Headed Teacher.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Another great American English in a pouch. I just finished reviewing John Bull Royal English and this has some similarities, but this one is more complex. Both are sweet, nutty, and mildly smoky. The big difference is the addition of the Perique which adds dark fruit and spice. To a lesser extent, the addition of Orientals add a very mild sour note to contrast the sweetness. That sweetness is carried here by the Virginias and a light addition in a topping. In John Bull it's carried by the Black Cav which has a light addition. Both are great smokes. This also has a little more body than JB.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. Added sweetness is very mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

PhantomWolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhantomWolf (36)

This can't be right?

Not sure how they did it. I mean the presentation and lack of branding etc can be ways of saving money, but I have no idea how this is so cheap. Like Carter Hall-cheap.

This is an outstanding blend from start to finish, though the pouch note isn't great- In fact, I think they may have added a liquid-smoke topping to simulate the Latakia flavour. I only suspect this from the pouch note; The flavour is great. Packs and smokes well and easy with a very mild, middle of the road English profile. You will get smooth, sweet, grassy, campfire, dry-wood flavours throughout. All listed tobaccos can be tasted if you feel around for them and no one aspect is overbearing. This blend is an excellent first venture into the realms of English as well as an enjoyable, no-frills, all-day smoke for the seasoned lover of English pipe mixtures. Personally, I only smoke 2-3 bowls a day and suffer from TAD pretty hard, so I am in no real need of a value blend, but I may buy some more as convenient travel smoke. A perfect blend to toss a pouch of into one's weekend adventure bag and hit the road.

Final thoughts: This blend is a tobacco miracle. Even the tightest of misers have no excuse for lacking a decent English on their tobacco shelf.

Pipe Used: Brebbia Lido

Age When Smoked: Fresh Pouch

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

tbear79072 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tbear79072 (18)

If you are new to English blends or even trying them for the first time give this blend a try. It is not overwhelming and will not leave you feeling like you were setting at a campfire all night. All the tobaccos are there to make this a classic English. The difference between it and others is how smooth this one smokes. The Latakia is just enough to make you want more. The rest of the tobaccos compliment each other without any being overbearing. My only real complaint is that they do not offer it in anything but the 1.5 pouch. Would love to have this in a much bigger bag or bulk to let age for a year or so. Might even blend it with other English blends I have to smooth them out. If you find it at one the online dealers grab it as they sell out pretty quickly.

Pipe Used: Whitehall Bulldog

Pilot Lon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilot Lon (14)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

One thing I know for certain now, and that is that I am NOT a latakia smoker. Only a few puffs of SVE, and I knew it was not for me. I found this extremely strong and distasteful, and never finished the bowl. Smoked it in a brand new cob, so as not to be influenced by anything prior. It took two days to get that aroma out of my nose and taste out of the back of my throat....and the pipe is well ghosted now, possibly to the point of being thrown away.

This was a first foray into English territory, but I had to abort the mission almost as soon as I got off the ground. This time, they will have to save the Isle without my help.

Never again.

Pipe Used: Aristocob Apple

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: P&C

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Super Value - English Mixture.

This gives quite a well rounded flavour. It's nice and tasty, without the Latakia being too indomitably added. It leads, but doesn't push the others out of the way. Behind the Latakia is a fairly complex, and busy, flavour. Some nuts and rugged notes from the Burley, sweet/honey-like Virginia, delicately added Perique, and the complexity is increased by the Orientals. It gives a reliable burn, requiring little attention.

Nicotine: mild to medium (weaker than most English's). Room-note: lovely.

The price and quality make this an easy four star blend:

Highly recommended.