From Pipes&Cigars website: Super Value Bourbon Whiskey uses fine Virginias and Burleys to create a cool-smoking blend that is made sweeter and more fragrant by the addition of premium Bourbon whiskey flavor. The flavor is subtle, and the room note is enjoyable, but most of all, you get all of this at a price that will make you smile.

BrandSuper Value
Taste
3.2
JimInks (2040)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia is a little grassy and has some citrus. The burley is a little nutty with some earth and molasses, and is just a little more noticeable than the Virginia. The black cavendish is mildly sweet with a touch of vanilla in a support role. The bourbon whiskey topping is creamy sweet with the flavor you would expect from a high quality brand. It does sublimate the effect of the tobaccos to a fair extent without overwhelming your senses. The strength of the blend is medium. The taste is nearly full and never weakens, nor does it ever get harsh. Won’t bite. Has a mild nic-hit. Doesn’t leave much moisture in the bowl, and will burn to ash. Whether you consider it to be an all day smoke depends on your proclivity for bourbon whiskey, but it is a blend that wears well on your taste buds during your smoking day. Like a fine bourbon whiskey, I find it works best when sipped at a slow to moderate rate. Has a very pleasant, lingering after taste and room note.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a good sized sample of this from a friend and had very low expectations. Now the sample was of good size, but only really made three bowls as I used three extremely large bowled pipes to smoke it.

The first bowl was my Altinok Canadian (Meerschaum). I smoked this and thought it terrible, lacking in flavor and told my benefactor so. He assured me I was full of crap, noticing later in the day that I had sinus problems forming I started to believe him, but would not let him know until I could rule out the fact that it may actually be him that is full of crap.

The second bowl was had last Saturday, and for that one I used my extremely large Randy Wiley Feather carved Freehand (briar). I lit this up and smoked it amongst many stops while running errands in the morning and I must say I really enjoyed it. Very nutty and very sweet. I was starting to believe that my friend may have been right, that I may have truly been full of crap. Well, at this point, I had nothing left to do but blame the pipe, so it must be that it just burns better in briar than Meer.

Fast Forward to my last bowl in my large Baki Volcano (meer). It is confirmed, I was full of crap. This is a very good aromatic. I also take back my earlier statement to my friend that I preferred Borkum Riff's Bourbon Whiskey to this. This is, indeed, a better smoke to my tastes. It will not overwhelm you with complexity, but I doubt anyone buying this would even expect it to.

It is nutty, biteless and pleasantly sweet. I am not sure if this is a true whiskey taste or a sweet whiskey flavored syrup, but it doesn't matter as it tastes good and is not over applied. This one is not goopy and I am sure anyone looking at it would expect it to be. For the dollar amount and depending on the smoker, this could easily go four stars, I am giving it three as I have had Aromatics that I think are much better, but this one is deserving of three stars.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (297)

Wow I was not expecting to enjoy this blend as much as I did! $4 price tag at the very expensive Davidoff store in a Casino on the strip was sending me a bad vibe since the tins are $20 but I plopped down my $5 and got change back! It's weird they dont seal these pouches, no ziplock or adhesive etc.. Aroma is nutty and slightly alcoholic but nothing is over the top, chunky ribbon / OTC rough cut in various browns and black. Didn't burn hot or bite, great room note and tasty! Make sure you get the gold pouch, these new pouches are much better leaf than the giant super value bags.

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (79)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I had pretty low expectations when I ordered this, but the reviews were pretty favorable. Wow, talk about bang for the buck. It is not as refined as most tobacco's - a few stems, etc. The flavor was a great surprise. I have consumed a bit of bourbon in my day and the casing on this is realistic as I have tasted in a whiskey blend. Does it overpower the tobacco? Well, yes, but is that always a bad thing? If I had wanted the strong tobacco flavor I would smoke a blend without casing. I think I will buy the big bag next time.

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

tbear79072 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tbear79072 (18)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This beats Borkum Riff or Erin Go Braugh in flavor and price. I also smoke Stokkebye Highland Whiskey and this compares to it in quality. The taste is different as one is a bourbon and the other is a highland whiskey with malt that has been smoked in a fire of peat. The flavor hangs on for the entire bowl rather than disappearing as a lot of other whiskey blends do. It seems to have a better balance between the burley and Virginia components than a lot of other whiskey blends do. If you like whiskey blends or know someone who does then this is worth a try. I was surprised by the depth and intensity of the flavor. Don't expect performance equal to the high rollers that cost $5 per ounce. Take it for what it is. A good honest tobacco for everyday use or those on a budget that have to make every dollar count.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob