BrandPhilip Morris
ContentsBurley, Latakia
CutCube
Packaging14 oz. Tin
Strength
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
JimInks (2060)

The burleys were nutty with a noticeable molasses taste, though every so often, I got a few cardboard notes. The latakia flavor was smoky and woody as it competed with the burley for attention. The Virginia was grassy/hay-like with little sweetness in a support role, though its presence is not mentioned in the description. The rum topping was lightly applied, but even though it seemed to lose a little strength in the last quarter, a trace amount still danced on my taste buds. The nic-hit was mild. Comparing this to the House of Windsor version, I found this to be a little richer and smoother and less likely to bite, which the HoW incarnation could do if puffed fast. Fairly consistent in flavor, it burned reasonably well and required few relights, although I got a cigarette note or two near the finish even when hydrated. Left very little moisture in the bowl. Was almost an all day smoke.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (52)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I was fortunate to find a 14 oz. tin of Barking Dog on Ebay in good condition. The old "drugstore" blends hold my interest because of the variety of them that were available in my youth. Barking Dog is one of the boldest of the drugstore blends that I have smoked. The cube cut packs easily and lights without a problem. It also stays lit very well and delivers lots of rich Burley flavor. The Latakia is in attendance and gives the smoke a smooth, woodsy personality. There is a balance of flavors with the Latakia exerting it's influence but not dominating the Burleys. It's not a very complex blend and the nicotine strength is somewhere in the mild to medium range. It burns dry and does not have any added flavoring. I found it to be very captivating and enjoyable.

Pipe Used: Savinell Punto Oro billiard, Missouri Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: >10 years

Purchased From: Ebay

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I just spent Father's Day 2003 enjoying multiple bowls of Barking Dog and Revelation. Barking Dog indeed has no bite. Upon opening the tin, I smelled Latakia, but at the match that condiment leaf stayed deep in the background. The Perique was so far in the background that I only tasted hints of it from time to time - particularly near the bottom third of the smoke.

There is a delicate casing in this blend of Latakia/Burley/Perique/Virginia. Wonderful stuff, although I could not identify the flavor.

If you enjoy cheap and tasty, grab some Barking Dog. It's a pleasant puppy!

PS.....the more I smoke this blend the more I appreciate it. Barking Dog can be puffed on like there's no tomorrow and still be as biteless as any tobacco I've ever tried -- and I've tried a bunch!