A mixture of flue cured and dark fired stripped leaf which has undergone a steaming process prior to being hand spun into a rope of tobacco. The rope is then sliced on a four inch mouth cutting machine to give the tobacco its curly-cut characteristics. Prior to packing, the finished blend is dressed with vanilla, giving the tobacco a cool but flavorful smoke.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
FlavoringVanilla
CutCurly Cut
Strength
Taste
1.6
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My bulk purchase was quite unusual and arrived as a large clump of long & wide, curly ribbon cut intermixed with a few remnants of the cut spun rope of golden to dark brown leaf. The tobacco was easily separated but I think such variation made for difficult, uniform packing. My receipt was also dryer than prefered but even with humidification, my results didn't improve. I sensed a hint of the advertised vanilla topping in the pouch and room aroma but not in the taste. Perhaps if it were more prevalent, I wouldn't have judged the taste to be too spicy, harsh and lacking sweetness. At points, I sensed a soapy taste and the aftertaste was also unpleasant. Although I didn't have to blend off this tobacco with others, I won't be ordering it again.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been through several bowls of Curly Cut over the last few weeks. I'm not terribly moved by the experience. "Everything in moderation" seems to be the guiding thought behind this blend. It seems a fairly easy-going, easy to smoke tobacco, with a slight tendency to nip the tongue should I absent-mindedly puff a little too fast. My sample, too, arrived "uncurled", so to speak, and I didn't really notice the vanilla topping: perhaps because it wasn't a big seller for the store, and the flavouring had faded?

There's nothing at all wrong with Curly Cut. It is, in it's own way, a tasty, mild, Virginia, with no particular vices. But a lack of vice doesn't make for virtue; and there are other Gawith offerings that are so superior, to my tastes, that I won't be looking to revisit this blend any time soon.

Which is just as well: it's not made anymore!

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco comes as clumps of light, medium, and dark ribbon that separate easily as you roll them between your fingers. An attractive and fun cut. In the tin, I don't sense much of an aroma at all, but my sample has been aging for at least a year. Although this is billed as something of a vanilla blend, on smoking it reminds me of nothing so much as a slightly harsh burley. It can bite, too, if you're not careful. As the bowl progresses, I can smell some vanilla in the aroma and an almost spicy hint to the normal leathery tobacco scent. In the mouth, the blend smooths out some as you smoke it and becomes somewhat less sharp and a little sweeter. In the second half of the bowl, I can taste a strange, almost pastry-like undertone to the smoke, something like a wash of a Mac Baren blend underlying the the predominant spicy tobacco flavor. This blend is a good one, and fairly interesting, but its sharpness and lack of real distinction will keep from smoking a lot of it.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A decent smoke , not too flavored with the vanilla . Kind of soapy . A tolerable tobacco .

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Disappointing. Not much vanilla, which is fine with me, actually. But I found the tobacco to be boring and kind of soapy. Slightly harsh and was a little ashy at the bottom of the bowl. The quality I usually get from this company is missing here. Don't bother with it.

One of the few Gawith blends I did not enjoy. A personal thing though as this tobacco was a little unweildy to pack and smoke and the flavor was shallow. I don't think the Virginia tobacco used in this one came from Gawith's top shelf.

For those of you who enjoy true Vanilla aromatics; this is not what you are looking for. The added misting was barely detectable every now and then.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a tough tobacco to place. It smokes like a lightly cased burley/ Virginia mixture, but I'm pretty sure that that isn't what's in the blend. Also, it's supposed to be a curly cut tobacco, but my sample arrived as mostly loose strands of leaf. I didn't really get into this blend, but it wasn't bad, and I could see others enjoying it. There is a vanilla casing added to this blend; it is faint, but I can definitely sense its presence on opening the sample bag. The aroma is also somewhat sweet, but there is in addition a mild, average tobacco smell, neither dark nor grassy and light. My sample is made up of medium, lighter, and a few rare darker browns, all mixed evenly into several loosely pressed chunks. These separate easily, revealing a longer, fairly wide cut of individual strands of tobacco, with the occasional dark flake. The moisture content is average to perhaps slightly wet. It packs with a bit of difficulty once separated but lights quickly, burning through a bowl with an average number of relights. In the first 1/3, the flavor is subdued and fairly light. I initially taste an almost burley-like flavor, nutty but without most of the harshness that I normally associate with burley tobacco. There is also a lighter Virginia note, somewhat less strong than the nuttiness. I don't really notice any strong casing flavor, but some sweetness is present, and perhaps a subtle note of vanilla in the background. There is some minor bite, easily avoided, and the smoke tingles when exhaled through the nose. The bite and tingle combine to form an almost spicy note, as if Perique were included in this blend. The overall taste is "brittle" and "bright", and not all that smooth. In the second third if the bowl, the flavors are pretty much the same. The sweetness isn't as biting at this point, and the nutty flavor is smoother and cooler. The smoke is mostly sweet in the mouth, and mostly spicy blown out through the nose. I wouldn't call it complex, but it is somewhat multilayered and not uninteresting. There is some moisture in the middle of the bowl, but a pipe cleaner or two will clear this up. In the final third of the bowl, the smoke has become even smoother, with no evidence of bite or harshness. The sweetness isn't quite as strong, and the tobacco flavor is a bit darker and heavier, more intense. Still, this remains a lighter, "brighter" blend; I wouldn't call it dark or full. Overall, I find this to be a good tobacco, but not spectacular. The slight harshness and bite in the beginning are not too distracting, and the remainder of the bowl is pretty good. I likely won't be smoking a lot of this in the future, but I can certainly see how others may truly enjoy this blend.