A blend composed of both air-dried and flue-cured Virginia tobaccos. HH Pure Virginia is 100% Virginia tobaccos from North America and Africa. Both continents have a high reputation for growing the finest Virginia tobaccos in the world. Like all tobaccos in the HH family this blend has no top flavour and only the absolute necessary casing in order to emphasize the natural tobacco taste. You will experience the natural sweetness and “grassy” taste from the Virginia tobacco.

BrandMac Baren
Blended ByHenrik Halberg
Manufactured ByMacBaren
Packaging50g tin
Strength
Taste

JimInks (2038)

The red Virginia in this flake is fairly tangy, dried dark fruit sweet with a little earth, and is the star component. There are streaks of bright flue cured Virginia that offer some citrus and an ample amount of grass and hay. The brown Virginia is earthy sweet. The description emphasizes the grassiness, but I think the earthiness is a touch more noticeable. It doesn’t have much complexity, though the contrasting flavors of the Virginias are melded together by the hot pressing, which is responsible for a slight fermented sweetness in the flake. There is a slight sour note here and there, which I tend to notice a shade more after the half way point, but I don’t find it distracting. Has a slightly more than mild nic-hit. Like other flakes in the HH series, it breaks apart very easily, and is moist, but not overly so. Whether or not you decide to dry it any speaks to personal preference, but it’s good to go as it is. Burns at a reasonable rate with minimal relights, and sports a very consistent flavor that never weakens. Has no harsh spots and won’t bite, though I recommend a slow to moderate smoking cadence for best effect. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and the red Virginia after taste lingers a little. Has a sweet room note. It’s an easy going all day smoke, medium in strength and taste, though the sweetness tends to push the taste level a shade past the medium threshold.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (77)

JimInks' review is right on... this is bang in the middle of the road virginia. Nice flakes (typcial MacB 1.5mm CNC Router type flakes, none of your random bacon-chips stuff here) which rub very easily into fine ribbon. A bit more moist out of the tin than I would ordinarily smoke, but smokeable as is or easily rectified with a bit of drying.

This is not as sweet as either Capstan offering, and has none of the complexity of something like Reiner Long Golden or even Mac Baren's other virginia-based blends. Also without the MacB honey or maple flavors. It's just dead-ahead virginia. Easy to get along with and a nice introduction to the genre. This won't probably be strong enough in nicotine to appeal to the long-time Va smokers or people who prefer big strong burleys a la C+D. But as a gentle autumn puff for the casual user, I'd say this blend has lots to recommend itself. Exhibiting the same softness of overall profile as the Capstan Gold, I suspect that ten years in the cellar will make this blend magical, and that's where the rest of my tins are headed. Quality stuff, and worth putting a few away.

Pipe Used: Various briars, medium to large

Similar Blends: Capstan Gold, Best Brown Flake, Mellow Mallard.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very fine Virginia and as deeply rich and earthy as the best Virginia blends on the market today. The leaf has certainly been aged well as the fermented flavor you would expect from a ripe Virginia comes through in waves. And, also like well aged straight Virginia, the flavor deepens and offers a variety of sensations as the tobacco is consumed. I am off to purchase more tins for my cellar as something tells me wonderful things will happen when I re-visit this one in a 5-10 year old tin! Mac Baren, you done good with this one!

Pipestud

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)

More than the middle-of-the-road to me...this is a very good Virginia Flake tobacco. I like the "pure" taste and while similar to other straight Virginia flakes/plugs/Ready Rubbed offerings, I find this a notch above many others.

Easily an all-day smoke and one for most any size pipe...Moisture level is perfect and easy to rub out...

...Another impressive flake in the MacBaren HH series...

Pipe Used: group 3 to 5 size

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Mac Baren - HH Pure Virginia. I love EVERYTHING about this blend!

The tin contains three rows of flakes that are quite slim and dark brown in colour. The amount of moisture is better than many sealed tins, it's only slightly damp. Mine isn't in desperate need of drying, yes, that would raise the standard to perfect but I find it good enough to smoke right away.

I crumble my flakes as opposed to the fold and stuff method and this is easy to rub to a decent texture. Whilst doing so the only notable aroma I get is a straight up Virginia one; any extra casing must have been added very sparingly.

I find the smoke 'savoury' tasting. I struggle to detect many sweet nuances from this compared to many straight Virginia's. What I do detect is a slight saltiness from the smoke; not acrid or full but a delicate addition. Also, I get the least grassiness I've had from a straight Virginia, it tastes as if there's a tiny proportion of Burley in there to me; a slight nuttiness, making it even more savoury.

This burns resplendently. Once it's lit it is very independent. I only need my tamper to maintain it. My lighter's only needed if it's not puffed often enough.

Nicotine? I think it's just below medium, it's a nice strength for my taste.

I think this is a completely unique straight Virginia. It's not just the usual sweet and grassy affair that I get from most Va's. Total perfection: highly recommended.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Strambach Vienna Meer'

Age When Smoked: 4 Month

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

Opening the tin, the scent is nicely sweet, gently earthy (red VA...). It's the HH flakes' typical, chewing-gum sized slices stacked three-abreast in the tin, which I fold-twist-sink into a relatively wide bowl. Lighting is easy for a folded flake (I have not tried this rubbed out yet, but I will). Little to no glue applied; I like that.

From the beginning, the flavour is nicely sweet, with a gently sour side note that helps more than hinders the overall experience. Only little grassiness in there, and the room note is above average for a pure VA blend.

From the halfway point on, I get a nice side note of black pepper that stays on until close to the end of the bowl; the metallic flavour of so many other pure VA flakes is only marginally present. The burning behaviour is excellent, though the note by earlier reviewers that one should puff gently should be heeded. I have pretty much only ashes left in the bowl when I finish.

Overall, good one. Doesn't make me shout with glee, but a solid smoke from top to bottom, and one that I can recommend.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 11 and 105

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: HoS, Lingen, Germany

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Golden Glow, John Aylesbury - Dark Virginia Flake.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (161)

Robust and full tasting for a straight Virginia. Fuller than Pease Union Square. Smoked a full tin.

However this does not have the sweetness of Pease's or Mcclelland's Virginias. But you can tell this is a Virginia from the get go, as there is that citrus taste but subdued due to pressing.

Cool, forgiving, and steady burning for a Virginia flake.

Flavor pumped up but not the sweetness. Not dark tasting.

Almost too much richness for me. Recommended for a heavier dose for straight Virginia fan.

Pipe Used: Arlington

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Mcclelland no. 27 (matured virginia), twangy flake (blakeney's best).

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (83)

I think this is a masterpiece. This seems to be as close an experience as you can have to smoking Virginia tobacco straight from the farm to your bowl. It has obviously been cured and fermented but it has no topping and a nearly undetectable amount of casing. Smoking uncased Virginias isn't a very pleasant experience. Some amount of casing is necessary to reduce harshness and fix any inherent rough edges of the leaf. The casing used here does not intrude upon the flavor at all.

This blend of Virginias tastes grassy. Occasional hay, earth, spice, and vague natural sweetness pop up. No honey, citrus, or molasses here. I sense a medium strength with a bit of a kick. I hope to see this released in the 16oz boxes so that I may age some!

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (161)

As I started to appreciate straight Virginias during the past few months I was looking forward to try Mac Barens shot at a straight Virginia blend. As I love the HH-Line, for their unspoiled, natural tobaccos I chose HH Pure Virginia.

Cracking up the lovely, classy, yet simple designed tin with it's intriguing rich yellow that has the Mac Baren lions on it I was instantly interested in how this one would perform in the pipe. Inside there's the typical and very classy golden wrapper paper Mac Baren uses and three rows of Mac Barens evenly cut, thin flake slices. They know how to make a flake cut, sure thing! 1,5cm in thickness, ~ 11 cm in lenght and 3cm in width the flakes break apart quite easily, which hints towards there's little to none glue applied! Optically seducing with their rich hue of mostly medium bron, bright brown and few bright-golden speckles.

The tin-note is very inconspicuous and natural. Slightly honeyed, mildly fruity, bready and tobacco-y and I could swear I perceive a faint vinegar-ish note to it, especially when cracking a fresh tin. Comes very well conditioned for a flake cut. Not too moist, yet demanding at least an half-, better one- to two hours of drying time. But it can be smoked right away, if properly rubbed out!

Slow and cool smouldering in the bowl HH Pure Virginia offers a rich aroma with some depth to it. Mildly notes of stoved fruits that underline the delicous somewhat bready and/or nutty aroma. A little earthy and very tobacco-y, fairly tangy and spicy for a straight Virginia. In the background I perceive some notes of grass and hay. Honeyish sweetness is always present, that is rather unobtrusive and mild, I'd bet this is all natural sweetness, none added to it.

Pretty bold for a straight Virginia and very rich in flavors this is one of the most complex straight Virginia blends I had. Diversified and refined it offers a enticing smoking experience that's far from being one-dimensional or boring! Definetly a blend I'll integrate into my rotation. Very All-Day suitable due to it's rather digestible strenght, this truly is a gem within the countless straight VA offerings.

4/4 stars for genuine, honest and interesting pure Virginia blend that is living up to the name of Mac Barens HH-Line - unspoiled, tasteful, rounded. Favorited!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Various Briars

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This one took a while to grow on me but grown it has now. I have not seen other reviewers mention the saltiness which I clearly perceive and it could point to a smidgeon of Latakia being used (say 0.5-1%). The pepperiness I notice as well. A good solid smoke this, not much to add to the other reviews.

Pipe Used: various

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

HH Pure is a medium-colored hot pressed flake made of what I can imagine are the highest quality VA tobaccos Mac Baren has in the warehouse. I can't knock them for anything mechanical - I smoked an entire tin folded and stuffed, because there was no need to even think about rubbing this out. It lights and burns beautifully, and smells pretty good while it goes.

I dinged it a star because it doesn't show the complexity I find in the English-style flakes or in the best quality McClelland straight VAs. It's not monochromatic by any stretch of the word but it seems to progress predictably from start to finish. Nothing wrong with that, but also nothing standout that would earn that fourth star.

This is good pipeweed, lovingly made and artfully presented, and it might be the stealth blend of the HH line since nobody seems to have noticed how good it is just yet.

Pipe Used: basket pipe

Age When Smoked: so fresh

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake.

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (91)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Great middle of the road pure Virginia. Sweet grassy hay notes with a bit of citrus. Tin condition was near perfect with no drying of the flakes necessary. Smoked both runned out and folded. No great difference in the taste just the burn time. Formula burned straight through the smoke with few relights. Little to none on moisture in the bowl. Another solid smoke from the HH line. Planning to set a few tins back to age, believe this may jump to a 4 after some age is applied.

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Deep brown hot pressed flakes cut with military precision, medium flavor with a wonderful peppery note, and fairly good strength. Presentation mirrors the rest of the quality - it's on point, Tip.

All you FVF and Best Brown Flake hoarders, buy a few tins of this for the apocalypse, and maybe some to smoke now.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

As always, Mac Baren gets an A for presentation. Nifty embossed gold wrapper that perfectly fits the beautiful looking, admirably symmetrical dark brown flakes with spots of gold. Wonderful tea-like fragrance in the tin. A bit wet and I ultimately dried this thoroughly to enhance the natural flavors, but I did not "crispify" it. It worked best with a small amount of moisture remaining. It didn't seem to care if it was rubbed out or folded and stuffed, as I couldn't discern a single iota of flavor difference. Since it took the match better when rubbed out, that's how I smoked most of the bowls.

I admit that I'm a huge admirer of the Mac Baren HH series concept. Even when the blend doesn't hit my overall preferences, I like what hot pressing does to their output, and I especially appreciate it when they keep the honey and sugar in their respective jars and make a perfectly natural blend. There is no Mac Baren tongue steam inherent in any of the HH blends, no pastry-like phony saccharine sweetness - just honest to goodness tobacco taste. This one is kind of a conundrum at this point, as I really found very little of the usual straight Virginia descriptors to apply, even the "grassiness" that Mac Baren claims. I did find a little sweetness, but I mostly tasted tartness and sourness with a nice background note of maltiness. This is a soft but spirited tobacco, with a provocative zestiness and tang (thanks to the red VA) which was nicely and just noticeably offset with a hint of citrus. Almost zero complexity but with a decent depth to the smoke. I think this one will age brilliantly and my other tins are headed to the cellar. I liked this and declared it "good" but it's not a great blend... yet! I do think there is some greatness there, but it needs to age awhile first. Kudos to Mac Baren for the HH series. None are currently in my rotation (ODF being recently displaced by SG's Lakeland Dark) but I sincerely applaud the effort. Once again, I find it difficult to disparage a Danish company from producing Danish products, but these more English versions are more to my taste.

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (40)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Dignified, dark and deep, HH Pure Virginia offers a very distinctive take on virginias: Toasty, earthy, and, for a virginia, stout, with sweet tannins and a bit of nicotine, but after the fullness of the smoke it leaves the mouth feeling surprisingly clean. It’s a little on the tarry side, pleasantly so, but that just seems part and parcel of the rich and multi-faceted flavor spectrum this fine mixture brings to the table (pipe), and, hey, when the dog walks on the water who’s going to complain that it can’t swim?

Got the best results when I let it dry a little, rubbed it out thoroughly and smoked slowly. This mixture grabs my attention and doesn’t let it go.

Different than the best of McClelland, Samuel Gawith, C&D, Compton’s and G.L. Pease, but able to take a place at their honored round table. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Several, all reserved for straight virginias

Age When Smoked: About six months

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (54)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

You don't want to drive your Ferrari every day. If you need to nip down the road for a bag of nails, the Ford will do.

The HH series is your Ford tobacco. And that's a good thing.

I rarely go for straight virginias but the summer months brings out the desire.

Pure Virginia fits the bill because of its great quality of being eminently user friendly.

Pipe Used: Stanwell billard.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop.

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop (nice chaps).

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (50)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Being a Virginia flake smoker I was excited to try this new issue . Upon opening the tin I was not impressed . The flake seemed way too hard and was not responsive to good packing . There was little or no tin note , not at all what I expect from a primo Virginia flake . The first bowl was not at all enjoyable giving me a nice case of tongue bite . I smoked a few more bowls and found it even less acceptable than the first . I have read the other reviews of this tobacco , all from reliable smokers , and I wonder why I am in such disagreement . This tobacco simply has none of the delicate , subtle taste that I associate with Virginia flake . I gave the rest of the tin away at the Kaywoodie show in New York and felt well rid of it .

DCD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DCD (8)

For a straight Virginia this could stand as a model of the form: a beautiful golden/amber color, a tin aroma of grass and hay with a touch of raisin, which carries over into the actual smoke. I read or heard somewhere that this is lightly cased with sugar water but otherwise left natural. All I taste is natural Virginia, with that deceptive simplicity that a well matured Virginia can have. Its sweetness is balanced by an herbaceousness that just screams "Virginia" and makes me think of John Rolfe, Sir Walter Raleigh, QEI and what made the world go crazy for tobacco in the first place. It invites you to think about it, and when you do you'll find fruit and spice aromas subtly lurking behind the pure and classical facade. This is also a great flake to try for those, like me, who are new to the cut. Pressed and steamed under 55 tons of pressure and cut by modern machine, the flakes are uniform in size and density, making it easy to learn the fold-and-stuff technique before trying more raggedy flakes like McClellan or Samuel Gawith. I always come back to this flake for its simplicity, its pure tobacco enjoyment, its easy smoking qualities, and its extremely high standards of workmanship.

Pipe Used: Small Stanwells

Age When Smoked: new in tin

Purchased From: Boswell's

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Flavor is tasty and well rounded. Fruity, tangy and a bit of grass. The flavor is also mild and mellow which surprised me a bit considering the medium body. Thought it would be a little bolder. If you prefer a milder flavor this would be a great choice. A very nice smoke.

Medium in body. No added flavoring which may be why it's milder and mellower compared to some other flakes I've been smoking lately. Taste is just a shade over mild, I'll go with mild to medium. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Dagner Poker, Country Gentleman, Marcus

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (180)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

2 year old tin. It gets full points for presentation and smell off the tin. My flakes were hard to keep lit, I had to relight a lot. In the taste department it's more earthy than grassy or sweet with some brioche flavor.

While advertised as topping free, a sweet licorice taste shows up. After smoking it with a regular pipe, I tried it with a new pipe and the licorice taste was omnipresent. I guess that a casing can do as good a job as a topping. Licorice is my favorite flavor since I was a kid, there's no hiding from my taste buds.There are better "pure" Virginias out there, sorry for being the party pooper.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (134)

Boy, this is among the top three virginia flakes available. No joke. Gawith Full Virginia Flake is considered the gold standard and this is just as good. In fact its rather similar in composition and level of stoving. Its maybe not as complex but it has genuine depth of flavor and is pure tobacco. I consider McClelland 1776 flake to also be near the top. The second tier would include Butera dark stoved, and Astely's #44, and probably Wessex Campaign Dark flake. McClelland's dark star and blackwoods flake are also excellent. But honestly, I think this HH Macbaren flake is even better. It has great natural sweetness ( much as I like the wessex for example, it does contain the very slightest casing...very slight but its there). Cornel & Diehl's Opening Night is very good and Pease's Union Square;...both are broken flake. The Pease is maybe the strongest nicotine wise. But this macbaren flake is rich and very cool smoking and needs only the slightest dry time. The nic hit is between mild and medium...a bit closer to medium. Not as strong as the Pease, but perhaps stronger than astely's or the Wessex.

If you like lighter virginia, Gawith's Golden Glow and butera's golden cake are very good. Dan tobacco's hamborger veermaster is excellent as well for a light virginia flake. And if you like heavily stoved virginia...the sleeper is McClelland's bulk flake...Navy Flake. Its top flight stuff. But even if macbaren is associated with aromatics and lightweight burley blends, the HH line is something altogether different and this is maybe their best offering.

Purchased From: 4noggins

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

I agree with Pipestud's review: this is a very fine Virginia, indeed; for my taste, it is light years beyond MacBite Virginia classics such as Virginia #1. Complex, a little citrusy at times, some sweet and sour and loads of real tobacco taste. Winner, winner, chicken dinner. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Timbo 556 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Timbo 556 (6)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Once again the MacBaren HH line impresses me. I received a sample of this from a friend of mine as he and I frequently trade tobaccos. He gave me enough for about 3 or 4 pipes. The tin once again is simple and nicely done. The presentation of the flakes are beautiful which is expected of MB flakes (they look like perfect sticks of gum) the flakes were bright with multicolored streaks which is from the multiple different va's used. The tobacco fresh out of the tin was moist and has the typical grassy lemon zest of most other straight va flakes I have smoked. I did give the flakes some dry time before smoking but multiple re-lights were still needed. It was good but nothing that blew me away until..... I let them rest in a canning jar for a little while. I re-visited after 2 weeks and the flakes were perfect for smoking (dry wise) I tried it both full rubbed out and folded. Both ways this blend was excellent after some rest time. The sweetness that I love came through along with that farm hay flavor. The blend isn't complex by any means but is very consistent. I have plans for buying in larger quantities to let these flakes age for some time a I prefer them aged in a jar which I feel brings the flake to the perfect moisture and allows the sweetness to build up as well (I am not talking sticky sweet aromatic sweetness) just natural sweetness. I have been playing around with 9mm filters and I like this blend with or without a filter. I give this blend a 3.5 and it will be my new go to Straight VA flake.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 118 9mm

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 2 weeks

Purchased From: Gifted by friend / he got it at smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake, Dunhill Virginia flake.