Dannebrog-A typical Danish mixture

A traditional blend of Virginias with a touch of black cavendish, Oriental, and a splash of rum.

BrandPaul Olsen
Strength
Taste
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Paul Olsen - Dannebrog.

I'd got it in my head this was an aromatic; I'd knew it had rum in it and just assumed. I'd paid no attention to what cut it was either. In all fairness, I hadn't really researched this at all!

The blend appears to be made up of mostly chunky ribbons, with one or two broken flake's. As is the norm' with P.O. blends, the moisture's more than acceptable. I only get a very slight rummy addition from the tin, it must have been added very sparsely.

I lit a pipe full, and at first, I got no rum whatsoever. It took around ten minutes for any rum to come through, and when I did get some it was very light, and after awhile it was still only just above mild.

Forget the rum, the tobacco tastes are superb: I get a citrus/grass tone from the virginia's, with a sort of extra sweetness too; this may, in some way, emanate from the rum topping. Or of course, the sweet Black Cavendish, but the mix didn't appear to contain a lot of B.C. when I opened the tin. The Oriental/Turkish give the smoke some depth, but they also seem to dry it out a touch; this works nicely as it prevents any gloopiness that could come from the Black Cav', or the topping.

The nicotine's quite strong, yet not too much so: medium to strong, a pleasant strength for the morning.

This is a good smoke, it's way above my expectations; I had none through being idle and not reading the description properly! I think this is worth three, it misses four by a whisker.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef Rep'

Age When Smoked: Four months