Tower Bridge is an exceptional blend of black cavendish, golden and red Virginias, mixed with luxury broken flake. This mixture captures the spirit of a Caribbean summer day: aromatic tropical fruits, vanilla and rum bring beach-feeling and will lift your spirits!

BrandRattray
Taste
Meerschaumer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaumer (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A predominantly golden-coloured Virginia, containing flecks of Black Cavendish, and with a quite mouthwatering orangey, citrusy tin note. When lit, the taste and room-note did not disappoint and proved to be a total delight. Burnt evenly down to the gauze in my bowl, after only one light and lightest of tamps, leaving very little dottle.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum 9mm filter & gauze in bowl.

Purchased From: tobaccoonline.co.uk

StevieB (1932)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Rattray's - Tower Bridge (Aromatic Collection).

This is the final blend in the Rattray's Aromatic Collection for me to review.

Opening the tin reveals a very interesting blend in appearance: a few broken Virginia flakes, with some black and gold ribbons of various sizes. I have to say, I find it smells highly aromatic: mainly of fruit. I can pipe it imminently as it's neither too wet nor too dry.

It lights easily, and gives a decent enough burn. The smoke isn't too warm: I wouldn't class it as 'cool', but it's not at all hot. And then, apart from the burn, there are a few good qualities: the nicotine's mild to medium and the room-note's pleasant. However, the reason I can't recommend this is because it fails in the main area I pipe for: the flavour of the smoke: I don't get any vanilla, it's a smoke that's dominated by the fruit and rum. I don't find it has any of the flavoursome fruity qualities, there's only the harsh/bitter ones. The rum also increases the sharpness. I can't really comment on the tobacco flavours as they're totally covered by the added tastes. Oh my, this bites: prodigiously hard. I noticed another bad point when halfway through my first bowl I had a pause to go to the shops: this leaves a pernicious aftertaste.

I can see how some folks would really enjoy this, but I don't. If you disagree with my review and write one yourself, please refrain from abruptly criticising my thoughts about Tower Bridge in your review, as everybody differs!

Not recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal Rocky 221

Age When Smoked: Two Months

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

Matel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matel (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin note. Opening the tin you'll notice that there're some broken flakes in it and(!) not a whole lot of strong tobacco smell. Which (at least for me) is a good sign, when it comes to aromatics. In my opinion it smells mainly of a chocolate liqueur flavoured sweets. However every single person that I've asked to share their thoughts on the tin note said either "fruit" or "vanilla".

Taste. I've packed my pipe considerably loose and left it overnight to dry a bit, as I've found the tobacco kind of "muddy". When lighting the pipe, what surprised me the most was a little harsh taste, that I totally didn't expect. After about a minute that taste vanished, instead of it I got only sweet, rather warm (still not "hot" by any means) smoke. It burnt well, with a few relights needed. One thing needs to be said here and it is: I think that it isn't impossible to overheat this tobacco (which may be a problem of my technique), as I've got a few bitter draws out of it.

Cleaning. It doesn't procuce a stinky or exeptionally hard to remove ash. After a bit of cleaning with tissues and pipe cleaners the pipe doesn't smell much of burnt tobacco, way more of the casing. This tobacco leaves a noticable smell of the chocolaty sweet liqueur or vanilla, which makes me believe it may need a pipe just for it. However I may be wrong, as I don't smoke that much of aromatic blends.

Final thoughts. It is a sweet blend (I wouldn't call it "balanced", it is predominantly sweet), that I think suits the role of dessert tobacco, accompanied by coffee (with no milk) or some light tea. It burns well. When smoked slowly, gives a lot of sweetness, that may be tiring in a bigger bowl, but is a real delight in smaller ones. I consider Tower Bridge to be a really good tobacco.

El Bara Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
El Bara (2)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Very Pleasant

A remarkable aromatic tobacco with a full and unique fruitiness, smoothed by a pleasant vanilla note.

Burns well in the bowl, does not bite the tongue and retains its full aroma through the end of the pipe.

Exceptional room note