A blend of cavendish tobaccos in the Danish tradition, with notes of bourbon and vanilla.

BrandGatlin-Burlier
Taste
2.0
Pappyjoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pappyjoe (4)

I bought 2 oz. of this last summer while visiting Gatlinburg. I smoked about half of it, jarred the rest and just forgot about it until I decided to reduce the number of jars I have in my desk drawer.

As others have noted, this is not an exceptional pipe tobacco but it's not a bad blend either. There is some nuttiness and a hint of molasses but the bourbon is barely noticeable. Basically reminds me of the old joke about the guy ordering a martini and telling the bartender to just whisper the world vermouth over the glass. In other words, I think the bourbon is there because it's in the name and not in the tobacco. It was stronger when I first bought it.

As I smoked it today, I kept thinking it reminded me of something else. As I got to the bottom of the bowl, I reached the conclusion that it reminded my of the George Washington I have in my cellar.

Pipe Used: Briar.

Age When Smoked: purchased 7 months ago

Purchased From: Gatlinburlier

Similar Blends: In my opinion this is similar to the George Washington I have jarred. That's a blend that went out of production in the mid-1970s..

Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

The nutty, toasty, lightly earthy burley also has slight molasses note. I think the hint of vanilla comes from the black cavendish, and not a topping. The bourbon topping lacks depth and mildly tones down the tobaccos. Has almost no nicotine. Won’t bite, but can burn warm if puffed fast. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs an average numbers of relights. Has a short lived, kind of plain after taste. Can be an all day smoke.

-JimInks

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The Gatlinburlier Smoke Shop in Tennessee got a lot of play in the 90s in the old Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris as a go to shop for terrific tobacco. I remember calling in and placing an order for a half dozen of their house blends after reading about some of them. Black Jack Bourbon was indeed one of those nondescript whiskey flavored tobaccos that burned a little on the warm side. I was impressed by the way the compilation was put together and the smoke was uniform and the tobacco easy to keep lit. I just personally did not gravitate toward the flavoring.

Pipestud

Alparoleofficer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alparoleofficer (10)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I had been looking for a good bourbon flavored smoke when I wondered across the Gatlin Burlier while on vacation. The guys in the shop pointed my in this direction. The tobacco smokes great and is really smooth in the flavoring, the bourbon is fairly weak. There is some bite in there if you smoke fast. While I wont smoke it everyday, it will do for an occasional smoke.

Pipe Used: Peterson's standard system 307