Captain Earle's Nightwatch is deep, rich and full of smoky latakia. This old fashioned Crumble Cake is the perfect blend for those quiet, contemplative moments whether standing the night watch on the deck of a clipper ship or in the comfort of your study.

BrandHermit Tobacco Works Co.
Blended ByCornell & Diehl
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 ounce and 8 ounce tins
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste

3.4

I do not agree at all with one of my fellow reviewers here who says Nightwatch is a fairly pedestrian blend not unlike many other English lightweights. There was plenty of depth and variety in the taste as the bowl was consumed. I admit that I was also a bit put off by so many stems mixed in with the leaf, but could overlook that little fault.

Life's too short not to give this one a try.

Pipestud

Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (13)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've spent 30 days on Nightwatch, and I really like Captain Earle's company.

I am in a Latakia-centric stage right now. I move a lot between very even English Blends, and straight-up Latakia bombs. I am not turned off by the singularity of the Captain Earle taste at all. To be truthful, I could not survive just smoking Latakia heavy, dark blends like this. I need different tastes and blends. But without a doubt, on a daily basis, I just want a salty earth, man-smoke. This is when I reach for Captain Earle.

Right now, Ten Russians is my favorite tobacco. However, I cannot just set and forget Ten Russians, as it is too strong, and if I just puff away mindlessly, I get overloaded.

When I want my singular, Latakia-bomb fix, and I want to treat it as an all day smoke, I pack Nightwatch. Over the last 30 days, Nightwatch has been a true and trusty friend. I foresee it being a part of my cellar for years to come.

If you are a Frog Morton lover, you should dig on Nightwatch.

Life's too short not to give this one a try.

Pipestud

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (60)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Long cellaring has produced in this blend the nearly perfect balance that I am always after and a sufficient "complexity" to maintain my interest. While it does not give me the impression of different flavors bouncing off each other, it does have a good latakia based flavor bolstered well by orientals and virginias. The cake is at this age very well integrated and beautifully constructed. I just broke off a piece and pushed it into my gr 4 sized reading pipe, a century plus old meer with 8 inch bone stem and horn bit. The age of both the blend and the pipe lent the whole enterprise an air of ancient leisure, allowing the smoke to be the focal point of a very pleasant hour. Highly recommended even tho there are seventeen thousand other good English blends out there. Nice job Jay.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Hermit Tobacco Works Co. - Captain Earl's - Nightwatch.

The tin contains one block of kake, a bows worth can just be pinched off, it can be smoked without airing (well, my first bowl was fresh), and the smoke is fabulous.

The lighting of Nightwatch only requires a short-ish touch of the flame, and then the burn's of a good quality. The temperature from it's Latakia-cool, and the flavour, whoa, the flavour's immense! There's no doubt about which leaf accounts for the most flavour: the Latakia. It gives rich, smoky, odoriferous, leathery, flavour; class A. It seems to me the Perique takes the role of second in charge: it adds a deep fruitiness, but isn't quite as heady. The Virginia sweetens the mix, but a slight sweetness is about its only trait.

Nicotine: above medium. Room-note: if you don't like Lat' you'll hate this!

Nightwatch? Four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Levent Meer'

Age When Smoked: Four months

Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Pressed, aged latakia blends of this complexity and integration are rare. Here is a cool smoking blend with no taste collisions that provides an experience unavailable in other English/Balkan blends. An understanding of subtle connections in flavors guided the blender's hand in this eloquently understated event. Simply put, the smoothness of this blend's character is astounding. It burns easily and delivers enjoyment to me from beginning to end. Pity that this notation framework does not allow for a higher rating...

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Yanik Inverted Skull

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

An honest meat and potatoes blend which goes about it's business in a frank manner ideally suited for cold snowy nights after the world has retired.

Plenty of Latakia and Perique with the Virginias and Turkish in a minor supporting role with even combustion and fairly cool. Uncle Nic was rather well behaved too, a pleasant surprise actually. The best part for me was the oily mouthfeel, not drying whatsoever; lipsmackin'.

I'm glad to try it again since it's been many years. Recommended as being quite good but not praise worthy, I won't be buying tins for the cellar Stimulus Package being my preference.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (163)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

A good straight forward Lat. blend. The lat. is definitely the leading player here. The VA's offer a subtle sweetness but it is far from a sweet tobacco to me. The Turkish plays less in this blend and I only occasionally can pick them up. This is another good blend for doing other things while smoking. It does not bite and while it does have some complex elements here and there it really does not require much attention. Yet something about it remains enjoyable and far from boring.

Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Mmmmmmm, latakia!

This is definatly a latakia lover's blend. The blend is full of dark rich black strands of the wonderful weed. Additionally there is a fair amount of what looks to be red virgina and several other dark brown tobacco's. The scent is intoxicating for latakia lovers. Full of the leathery richness that marks the leaf.

Upon the first match, the a deep musty latakia smoke pours though the pipe. Dominating the taste buds. The flavor stays at the forfront of the blend throughout the smoke. Every now and then the virgina's chime in. Not an overly sweet note, but more like along the lines of SG Full Virgina Flake. Near the end of the bowl, the orientals show a bit.

The blend burns cool, and seems to do better in larger pipes. Bringing out a bit more of the complexity (though not a very complex blend) to the palate. The ash is powerdy gray and leaves a nice dusting inside the bowl. This would be a nice blend to break a pipe in with.

Smoking_Strider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking_Strider (11)

What a lovely blend, very well rounded. A pleasant bbq tin note, ready to smoke right out of the tin, no drying required. Just shave a little off, pack and light! Simple as that. Has a very nice bold meaty taste, but it has its sweeter moments too. Burns cool and clean, doesn't leave any moisture in the bowl and doesn't need many relights. Fond memories of smoking this outside on a cool summer evening, with some lemonade or tea. This stuff ages beautifully as well, recently been enjoying a 20 year tin. It mellows out and get sweeter with age.

Age When Smoked: 20

Wīglāf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wīglāf (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

The tin note is really nice: smoky barbecue, darker with way more pepper than, say, the classic worcestershire McClelland smell. There's a bright, fresh note of something like menthol.

The crumble cake (especially if you jar it) retains flavor and moisture level, which I should say is perfect right out of the tin. It breaks apart and packs very easily. Every now and again you do find a stem, but I don't really mind that. All CE's blends will burn clean down to white ash with one or two lights if you pack 'em right.

There's a good bit of flavor here right from the first draw. Although you couldn't write a dissertation about the flavors and tasting notes, by no means is this a one note, "conventional" English blend. There's a deep barbecue sweetness here that I really, really like. The latakia is full, smoky, and peppery. Orientals change shade throughout the bowl, ranging from musty and floral to sweet. Perique comes and goes. The bowl sweetens halfway down, which surprises me every time. I could definitely smoke this all day.

Aromatic fans and those who cut their teeth on McC Frog like I did will find this a bit stronger than what they're used to. Bolder C&D, Pease, and Ten Russians fans might find this a bit lacking in strength and complexity.

Is this blend a lat bomb? I would say no. To me, a lat bomb has to really wallop you with. We're talking leather belt in the face. The VA, orientals, and perique make this sweeter than a lat bomb ought to be. But add 10% more latakia and yea we'd be talking lat bomb.

Like I said, I cut my teeth on Frog Morton's Cellar. I dearly miss it. When it came time to find a new numero uno, the last thing I wanted to do was find something too similar. I liked FMC because it was FMC. I didn't want my new favorite to be FMC light—I wanted it to be its own thing. This is definitely bolder and way less sweet (I did want to grow up and move on), but it still has a similarly mellow, easygoing vibe to it. Ten Russians this is not. TR is a great blend, but I just don't need that much flavor most of the time.

My ideal blend is less of a fine wine, more of a faithful whiskey. Something like Mississippi River Plum Pudding, one of those mountaintop stunner blends, is usually just too bright and fancy for me most of the time.

This is my favorite among the Captain Earle's blends I've tried so far (Nightwatch, Ten Russians, Private Stock, and Mystic Blend). In fact, this is my favorite blend right now period. It's more complex than the faithful Frog was, dare I say it. Rest in peace, ol' Froggy, but I do think I like this better.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: 4-6 months

Similar Blends: I find it hard to compare this to other English blends b/c of its unique sweet barbecue menthol pepper note., It reminds me of Hearth & Home White Knight (although I don't know why—WK is a bit bolder and its spice comes from yenidje).

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (167)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

This morning I was smoking some more of this with my cup of Café de Monde. That is New Orleans coffee with chicory for those of you north of the Mason-Dixon line. This is a nice Latakia soft square of krumble kake. I normally just break off a piece and stuff it in my pipe but I rubbed this out and let it sit for a few minutes. This is a great medium blend with lots of spice, a little tartness once in a while which may be from the Orientals. Highly recommended in my book. This was a fairly new tin dated 042318.

Pipe Used: Briar

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (61)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Black with brown speckles, crumble cake. Easier prep than the other two Captain Earle's I've tried so far.

This is a nice smooth latakia forward blend. Latakia is clearly the highlight of this blend - not overpoweringly strong, but the most forward flavor. I do not pick up the advertised perique at all. The orientals and Virginias are there, but they are subdued and don't sing. And that's about it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Nightwatch. In fact, I'd say it's quite good. But, lacking the sweet notes of Stimulus Package and the enormous complexity of Ten Russians, it seems to me to be rather pedestrian comparatively. Nothing about it makes it stand out in the crowd. Nightwatch is just as good as many of its peers in this genre, perhaps better than some, but not as good as others that are already favorites of mine. I'll have no problem whatsoever finishing this sample, but I doubt I'll buy more.

Gus55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gus55 (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first blend I ever tried. tasted like mud. having now smoked other blends Dunhill 965, EMP, London mixture etc. I came back to this one again. Still tastes like mud !

Pipe Used: Dunhill straight billard, Castello billard, Ashton

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

Similar Blends: Just mud !Yuck.

Emeritus Account (28795)

Nightwatch is a great late-nite stormy weather tobacco. It is unique, pressed heavy latakia blend that is surprisingly tamer than appearance would dictate. Though tasty, it doesn`t stand out in a crowd as being memorable as others in the Hermit line. Ten Russians is more my style.

getyur@sstomars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
getyur@sstomars (5)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

wow, that was my first impression. just flat out wow! very rarely do fall inlove at first puff, some of my favorite tobaccos had to grow on my, and honestly the only blends that got me at first puff are Balkin sobranie (bad speller) dunhill flake and this.

now its pretty lat forward, but done very tastefully, and its not an in-depth flavor which to me is good for when i working around the house or doing stuff in general. also smokes real cool and thats also good when you got your mind on the task at hand.

flavor wise what i does have it has in spades. to me the addition of perique to any type of blend kind of help to reel in the the flavor profile you know, kinda muddy up the waters some, and especially with lat blends.

i like it so much its in my top 7 blends, will be smoked a few times a day, and will always have a few 8 oz tins in the cellar. try it you wont be disapointed.

Pipe Used: cob,flacon,

Purchased From: smoking pipes (these guys rock)

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

not an every day blend for me due to the cost factor ($12 at allegheny smoke works) and theres a bit too much in latakia for my taste i mainly smoke aromatics but it certainly goes well after a rough days of work. if you love latakia or want a stronger blend every so often this blend is perfect.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent blend, however in my humble opinion Captain Earle's Private Stock is slightly better. Burns well and steady until white ash.

My rate: 4.8

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

One of the gentlemen from my pipe club had a large jar of this Latakia Delight.I sampled a bowlful and enjoyed it.I would loosely compare it to the Frog Morton on the town blend by McClellands.Later that week I placed an order to Hermit for this blend and two others I wished to try.I'm going to try cellaring it for a couple of years.It should mellow nicely.If you're a fan of potent latakia mixtures order yours today from http://www.pipestyle.com Highly Recommended! prep

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

A nice , smokable latakia blend , but not very remarkable or unique . It's good , but does not find a place in my cellar becasue it is to much like so many others in my cellar . I'd happily smoke it though .