BrandEsoterica Tobacciana
Packaging8 ounce bag
Strength
Taste

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

With Stonehaven being such a wonderful blend, and Blackpool also roaring with quality, it is also easy for me to recommend Peacehaven. Stonehaven and Blackpool are very finely composed with some clout - not so with Peacehaven which is a a less imposing sister.

As is the case with most Esoterica blends, Peacehaven has a place in some smokers cellars. If you are one who enjoys a lighter Virginia flavor and are disciplined enough to puff slowly, then this might be a good choice.

Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

The smell out of the bag is where the strength is. The problem is that the potency of the smell doesn't quite translate to the actual smoking of the blend. Dried fruit, a lot of citrus and a very grassy/hay-like, woody, earthy mix of Virginias with a light sweet apricot topping that doesn't tone down the tobaccos much at all. All of the aforementioned flavors are lightly muted once you're puffing. The strength, taste and nicotine levels are mild. Won't bite or get harsh. Needs a little dry time. Has a mellow, consistent flavor, and burns cool and clean at a slightly slow pace. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs a little more than an average number of relights, especially you don't dry it. Has a lackluster, pleasant after taste. I vacillated between two and three stars because the quality of the tobacco itself is high, as you would expect from Esoterica, but it suffers from lack of depth and body. A very mild and gentle semi-sweet all day smoke. Two and a half stars.

-JimInks

ravkesef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ravkesef (11)

Well, I suppose that I must confess that I like this tobacco, and perhaps for the same reason that others found it less than satisfying. The smell out of the bag was predominantly hay, with some sweetness--perhaps the dried fruit to which my friend Jiminks referred. It packed easily, lit with two lights, and smoked easily past the midpoint, at which some relights were required. I smoked it in a group 2 Dunhill Shell Briar, 1971 vintage, and it smoked clean all the way to the bottom, leaving a fine grey ash with two or three shreds of unburned tobacco. The taste was a consistently pleasant and typical Virginia flavor and I found it entirely enjoyable. Perhaps my different opinion is that I enjoy a mild tobacco without a massive nic hit, and as a result I had a fine smoke, and will come back to this tobacco again and again. I rank it alongside other Virgiinias that I enjoy, such as Mac Baren Number 1 Virginia, and below McCranie's Red Ribbon. Three stars.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Shell Briar Prince, (1971) Group 2

Age When Smoked: new or fairly new

Purchased From: received as gift from Jiminks

Similar Blends: Mac Baren No. ! Virginia.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (102)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Peacehaven comes as a flat slab of tightly compressed flakes in a plastic tray, sealed in a metalized plastic pouch. The honey brown flakes are approximately 5½” x 1” x 1/16th”, and are quite difficult to separate without breakage. That’s not a problem if you like broken flake or you normally rub out flakes; but if you insist on folding flakes, have a spatula-like tool at the ready to pry the individual flakes apart. Even then it will be touch-and-go. This is not to suggest that the tobacco is overly moist, for it lights and burns well as it is, but many folks will prefer some drying. The flakes rub out into a shag with a variety of ribbon widths, some of which are so thin they resemble dill weed, giving a clump of this stuff a rather mossy appearance.

The bouquet of the blend is strong with the sourness of fermentation (as opposed to vinegar) and is resplendent with the aroma of sweet apricot, pungent green olives, and the zesty odor of moldering hay. Despite the sourness and pungency, the aroma suggests something sweet and fruity without being sugary; and it all translates quite well in the smoke stream. Upon lighting, the blend's flavors are joined by a subtle citrus taste, and just a hint of something licorice-like. The finish lingers on the palate in the same way chocolate does, but the taste is not exactly the same.

I usually categorize a Virginia blend as either fruit-like or grassy; the former being sweet, wine-like and buttery, the latter sharp, zesty and piquant. Peacehaven incorporates the characteristics of both. On balance I would call this a sweet, mildly sharp Va. blend with pungent, fruity complexity and above average nicotine strength. It is among the more complex blends on the market and exudes character and sophistication. It produces a good volume of cool, dry, chewy smoke that is a joy to play with in the nose and sinuses.

I find this very satisfying, so I can’t imagine smoking this more than once or twice a day – it is certainly not an all day/every day smoke; but there is something about it that leaves my taste buds yearning for just another taste – one more bowl. I think Shakespeare expressed the craving best when he described Cleopatra’s irresistible allure:

Age cannot wither her / Nor custom stale her infinite variety / Other women cloy the appetites they feed / But she makes hungry where most she satisfies...

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Mostly golden in color broken flake that was very easy to rub out. Thin flakes that don't fold and stuff all that easily, so I rubbed it out. Bag aroma of hay with an underlying sweetness. Kind of a non-descript aroma.

Less disappointing than Scarborough, but still not in my wheelhouse. It did remind of OGS with its emphasis on citrus but this one was lighter, both in taste and in character. Nothing wrong with that, as I find OGS overblown on the orange taste. But this didn't have OGS' depth in any sense of the word. As with Scarborough, the flavor seemed thin and the "mouthfeel" seemed thin as well. One of the most interesting things about this one is how it fared in a morta pipe. In a word, miserably. It was as if the morta wood was a condiment that mixed with the tobacco as leather would mix with bread. This did much better in my usual meerschaums which are more neutral. Even so, this was a decent tobacco at best. Reasonably sweet but not too much so, not terribly complex but with an evenness of flavor that allowed me to multi-task. As with Scarborough, I think that if one is used to more flavorful and robust blends, this one will seem kind of limp-wristed. But certainly worth a shot if you value mildness.

Age When Smoked: 1 year

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (29)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I honestly don't know why the guys rate this tobacco so lowly! I find it very pleasant, delicious, in fact. The aroma emitted from the opened bag is citrus, better than that of OGS with which it is compared. It rubs out easily, packs easily and lights without a problem. Right from the start the tangy taste, assossiated with virginias, is there. I just LOVE it. No bite. And if you really want to enhance the sweet tangy taste, put the pipe down after a couple of puffs, let it go out, wait a couple of minutes and relight. WOW! This is good stuff man. Highly recommended to virginia lovers

Pipe Used: Sasieni and Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the bag

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Unique.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (189)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I love Germain tobacco. If I was asked off the cuff I was an aromatic smoker I'd say no. This is an aromatic and most if not all Esoterica adn Germain aromatic's are not what most folks attribute to an aromatic. These are subtle and truly enhance the flavor of tobacco vs masking the flavor. Peacehaven is a wonderful smoke and is more an aro than say Dunbar or Dorchester but it is a Virginia and a damn good one. I will also add that may Esotrica blends are merely copies of J.F Germain blends under a new name in the US (there may be VERY subtle differences but they are so small that I would rather just say they are the same). Peacehaven is the US equivalent of Medium Flake (and maybe even Goldleaf ready rubbed). The tin note is sweet Virginia along with dark fruit and an obvious orange topping. I also get "bubblegum" which is just an amalgam of cherry, banana and strawberry). The tobacco comes pretty wet like most/all Esoterica and JFG blends, but it is a light flake that will dry quickly in the open air, 15-20 minutes is perfect. The smoke is not very complex but is delicious from the first puff until the last. This will burn to a fine white ash with one light (after the char). The flavors I get are citrus and a caramel like sweetness. I am not sure what VA's constitute this blend but they convey grassiness along with the sweetness but I get mostly grapefruit, orange and lemon grass. There is an ever present freshness of cut grass, but it is in the background. The last quarter of the bowl brings some breadiness and some dry rye toast which is very subject to smoking cadence. I found that if I puffed hard and fast, which is easy since this is so tasty, but the result of freight train puffing is a harsher smoke in the bottom of the bowl. When sipped or just puffed slowly the last 25% of the smoke does add some complexity in the flavors I previously mentioned. This sings in a meer or clay pipe but is wonderful in any pipe, and I suspect would taste great if you smoked it from an old shoe.

Pipe Used: Briar's, meerschaum and cobs

Similar Blends: JFG Medium Flake and Goldleaf r/r.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (50)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Yet another underrated gem that has been overshadowed by its peacock siblings Penzance and Stonehaven.

Tips for maximum enjoyment, dry it out. Rub then pack in a normal fashion. Then sip slowly.

Bright VA taste and aroma. Mild in strength yet full in flavor if you push a touch out the nose on its way out your mouth.

A+ tobacco if you're a Virginia lover as I am.

Pipe Used: Peterson Ebony

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars

Similar Blends: Bright Danish Virginia.

Emeritus Account (28797)

I can really only recommend this tobacco to veteran smokers and seasoned Virginia lovers, as the threat of tongue bite with this weed is right up there with some of the MacBaren or McClelland's offerings. Of course, veterans may ask themselves if it's worth this amount of concentration on technique to enjoy a bowl...? Well, I do! With that said, the weed is lovely four inch mottled flakes that rub out easily, and while I can't say they are moist, they did have a resiny feel and some may want to air the stuff out. The flavour IS very very good: fresh and bright, grassy/oaty with an abiding fruitiness and mild citrus overtones. The flavour progresses somewhat through the smoke but not dramatically. I believe that a well-aged version of this tobacco would smoke like an absolute champ and I wish it came in a vacuum sealed tin! There are Va flakes that aren't as demanding, but this one is worth it!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Original Review 6/12/2017

I just finished up an 8 ounce bag of this and I am surprised I had not yet reviewed this one as It was not my first experience with Peacehaven. Esoterica makes great tobacco, this is something nearly all of us know. Peacehaven is also a good tobacco, but in a world of Virginia flakes it doesn't rank high on my list.

Part of the reason is that the Virginias used come off as light to me and I prefer a little more oomph to my Virginias. Similar in some respects as a Capstan Gold versus a Capstan Blue. I much prefer the Blue, but the GOld is still a good smoke. It has more the grassy hay type sweetness than the earthy type sweetness the heavier Vas tend to give off.

There is no topping listed in the description, but it would not surprise me to discover it had some sort of topping. Maybe Honey or something to that effect. I have a little bit of this aging in the cellar, but probably won't fill the cellar with it.

I still recommend this as a good Virginia Flake and this would probably jump to 4 stars for those who prefer Capstan Gold to the Blue.

Addendum 1/20/2020

As I alluded in the lower part of my last review, I had a little bit of this I had been aging in a jar and I finally decided to pop said jar and smoke it. It only lasted a touch over 5 years in the jar and the results were favorable.

The appearance was kind of odd, Like a Castello Fumed pipe, the flakes near the top of the jar were very dark which slowly gave way to a lighter color. This was the first time that I have ever seen a tobacco age like that and I have no clue what may have caused it. There was no real plume on the flakes and the sweetness did seem to grow. Whatever I may have thought was a topping before had long lifted off the leaf as there was little doubt, this was a straight Virginia.

It was good and it also had the sweetness you would come to expect from aging; however, it was not good enough for me to add a fourth star. Peacehaven still lacks the fullness I like in my tobacco.

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (37)

This is a difficult one to rate. It came packed as long flakes in a plastic tray, all sealed in a foil pouch. The flakes smell wonderfully rich and it is easy to see the variety of colors of tobaccos embedded therein.

The flavor is primarily from the mid-range to the high notes, and they all come at you simultaneously. There is not so much an interplay of flavors as there is a parallel assemblage of flavors.

This is a slightly sweet and lighter VA than I typically like, but it is a nice pleasant flavor and it tastes like a quality product. So I am always surprised at its tendency to bite, even when dried some.

The flakes are easily rubbed out - perhaps a bit too easily. I find I often end up with a high percentage of tobacco 'dirt', no matter how careful I try to be.

I do not care for the room note - it strikes me as not too strong but offputting and cigarette-ish. This is an outdoor tobacco for me. I also do not care for the notable presence remaining in the bowl afterwards. I think this ties in with the poor DGT quality of this blend, as I found out and as another reviewer noted.

All in all, it has the flavor of a 3-4 star blend, but the detrimental ancillary aspects cause me to give it only 2 stars.

Emeritus Account (28797)

This was tough to put a recommendation to. Read on, perhaps you will see why.

This arrives in a loose flake form, moist enough to make it pliable. Rubs out with virtually no effort. 1/3 light brown, 2/3 dark brown.

In my inside jacket pocket, I kept picking up what smelled like a spicy cologne, or a less-sweet, non-cloying version of that Christmas spice ribbon candy. It took me a while to figure out it wasn't my cologne. What I picked up was aromas of allspice, nutneg, maybe even light crushed clove.

When I smelled the baggie more closely, those flavors were not clearly distinguishable, but presented as more of a vague melange. There was also a GH-type pastry/cinnamon note, with only a hint of the usual musty Esoterica characteristic, suggesting limited use of matured leaf.

The moisture makes this a bit hard to light, but once going the rubbed flake stayed lit easily. Initially this presents as a medium strength Virginia with possibly even more nicotine than the usual Esoterica - but you don't expect it until things get a bit ... fluid. There is some tingle on the tongue.

The top range has a light pastry sweetness with a faint ginger zip. The mid-range is toasty. Very little in the bass zone. All in all, quite pleasant.

At just past mid-bowl, I pause for 30 minutes. Peacehaven does not take this kindly! The sweetness and mildly fragrant flavors disappear and do not return. While what remains isn't bad, it isn't good either. (NOTE: Poor DGT'ing seems to be a feature of several Esotericas).

So, a pre-DGT recommendation could have been three stars, but post-DGT would get one star. Thus, I compromised on two. Too bad. The appearance and pouch aroma promised so much.

Emeritus Account (28797)

Here is another winnner from Esoterica. The first time I smoked this tobacco I fell in love with it. This is a straight virginia flake and is very easy to smoke with no bite and wonderful flavor. Easy to rub out and fill your pipe and lighting up is easy as well. I find it goes out frequently initially but then does not present a problem. I have not heard any complaints about the room notes and find it pleasing myself. This is probably one of the best tasting virginia flakes I have come across. Burns nicely to a grey white ash and I find at the end of the bowl I want to fill up again. Four stars.

Mork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mork (71)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Unnoticeable

Peacehaven, Esoterica

Description: An elegantly flavored flake comprised of six Virginia tobaccos, light in color and rich in taste. Exceedingly mellow and easy to rub out.

Storage/Age: 1 year, mason jar.

Flavor Profile/Subjective Musings:

To preface this, I want to make it clear that this is not based on a three bowl sample. I’ve smoked roughly an entire bag of this blend over the past year. My thoughts have wavered only slightly over that period. Some days I find it better than I present it in this review and others I find it significantly worse. The average bowl of this is what I’m representing in the following.

Bright to mid VA with the classic esoterica apricot topping. Fairly one note, being the mildly citrusy, mildly sweet, fermented hay, topped with apricot. A pleasant enough smoke, but I’m honestly left wondering why this is considered in the top tier of Esoterica’s offerings. Has a slight edge to it, whether from the topping or something else, I don’t know. Not unpleasant, but it feels rather… light.

It’s not a bad tobacco in a bubble. In fact, it’s a perfectly good one, though one I wouldn’t buy again. The quality of the leaf itself is rather high, as one would expect from Germain production. I guess my issue arises not solely with the tobacco itself, but with the laurels it has been awarded by the broader pipe community. This certainly isn’t the best straight VA out there; it’s not even the best Esoterica VA. Why then, is it put on the pedestal?

Is it the relatively limited production numbers? Is it collective mythos? Does it get spectacular at 5 or 10 years in the cellar? Maybe. I do wonder how much of a tobacco’s reputation in general affects a smoker’s perception of the same. On TR, this has a rather weak score of 2.9. That’s certainly nothing to go by, as far as serious thinking about a blend is concerned, but it is interesting. A top three production blend with a 2.9 score? In comparison, SH and Penz are both sitting at 3.5 with hundreds of reviews. PH only has 23, soon to be 24. Perhaps the production is so limited on this blend it just hasn’t gotten out to enough people, or those who smoke it just aren’t in the reviewer set. But even Dorchester, one of the easier blends to obtain from the roster, only has 80 reviews. And is ranked higher.

So, clearly people aren’t being influenced by inflated review stats.

I’ve sent this blend off to friends at various stages in its aging up to a year. The response was “meh, it’s fine, but what’s the big deal?”

Is it the rarity of the blend? Is that enough to push it into the “big three”? Perhaps. I know it was a rather big deal when I purchased mine. HTF Unicorns are a bit of a sticky wicket for me as a reviewer, as people well know by now. I am much harsher with them, essentially demanding that they be truly spectacular. And this one just isn’t. It’s a perfectly smokable and acceptable bright topped VA. But it isn’t in the pantheon of greats, imho.

Maybe it gets wildly better at the 5 year or 10 year mark. I have a fair bit of this remaining which I’m going to not touch again until December of 2023. Perhaps it will be a different beast entirely and I’ll need to rewrite this review.

Cellar Notes/Final Thoughts:

So, now that I’ve bashed this cellar queen, what do I say? I, for one, will not be in the group purchasing this again for my own cellar. Which is good news for those who love it.

But, as a final thought, I want to make my position ultra clear.

I don’t think this is a bad tobacco. I just don’t think it’s all that great and I simply cannot understand its standing. I have a well known bias regarding blends which are put up high and expect them to be spectacular. That being said, I do try my hardest to put aside my personal taste preferences and evaluate a blend for what it is going for. But, as with anything to do with reviews, this is simply one fellow’s opinion.

Rating: 5.6/10.

3 - I’ll Finish the Bowl, I guess

2 - I Wish I Hadn’t Done This

1 - Why Would This Get Produced

0 - Dump the Bowl

Brief Overview of Reviewer’s General Tastes: I am primarily a VA (and it’s variant combination forms) smoker who has great affinity for SG and comparable EU manufactured blends, along with a few of the US micro blender shops. I do enjoy English/Balkan blends on occasion and a few very specific tobacco forward aromatics. I am exceptionally picky about blends and tend to cellar deep and narrow on things, reserving the bulk of my cellar planning and space for items I find to be of significant worth as far as taste and experience. Anything of quality, but not of obsessive value to me, is cellared and purchased as condimental flavor breaks between my regular rotation.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Decent tobacco, cross between cigarette tobacco and pipe tobacco. Fairly mild, probably would not buy again.

Emeritus Account (28797)

If you enjoy lighter, mellow Virginia flakes, you should like this one a lot. The tobacco is high quality and the taste is excellent. While not full or dark, it is still a good, refreshing smoke for early in the day. The aroma of my sample is bright and sweet, like a quality lighter Virginia, with a hint of a grassy smell. The tobacco came as a half-rubbed-out flake, four inches long and as a color mixture of darker, medium, and light browns. The remaining flake rubbed out very easily, though packing the longer strands of leaf was a bit difficult. The tobacco is on the damp side, but when rubbed out lights easily. I chose a deep-bowled Stanwell for the first bowl of this blend. In the first third, the flavor is mild and slightly sweet, a "bright", clean flavor with some subtle complexity. There is a danger of tongue bite, avoided only through careful puffing. The flavor is not dark or full at all, though it is fairly refreshing. In the second third, most of the sweetness has disappeared. The smoke is still mild, but it has taken on a deeper, more complex flavor by this point. It is still no where near Dark Star in dark fullness, but it is regardless very good, especially in a deep, narrow bowl. I also highly recommend smoking this mostly unrubbed and using DGT; it really brings out the flavors in what is a rather subtle, soft blend. By the final third of the bowl, the flavor has continued to darken and mature. For a lighter Virginia, this is rather full of flavor and interesting. There are occasional flashes of sweetness, and most of the bite has vanished through DGT. It finishes soft and mellow, and there is no moisture problem. Overall, this is a nice, lighter Virginia flake. While not my favorite type of tobacco, I enjoyed smoking this blend. It makes a nice change of pace from the darker flakes I prefer. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys flake tobaccos, and especially anyone who uses DGT on Virginias.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (24)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm a Virginia lover, and I'm suspected to do this... first the smell are so fruity and citrus I liked, but this tobacco bites, if you puffs fast... to enjoy 100% this wonderful blend smoke slow. I'll buy again because this is my favourite Esoterica's blend.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Esoterica's products seem to have some kind of topping or processing that contribute an additional flavor other than natural tobacco. Peacehaven is no exception, but fortunately in a good way. It is a 2.5 stars in my book.

Emeritus Account (28797)

On opening the package the first time, I found the citrusy, bright virginia smell to be very much like OGS. I was really excited, because I love OGS, like everyone else. I was disappointed when I tried to smoke it, because it bit hard. I left it alone for a while, until I ran out of some of my other favorites. I put it all in a big bowl, rubbed it all out, and left it spread out on a cookie sheet to dry overnight. Since then it has not bitten once, and is a fantastic virginia blend a lot like OGS. It has the same citrus notes, a mild flavor that changes from the top of the bowl to the bottom, and from one pipe to the next. It smokes best in a large open pot shape, and smoked slowly. I'm ordering two more 8 oz. bags. One of my favorites!

Emeritus Account (28797)

This is the first blend by Esoterica I've tried that I did not like. This is a very thin flavored Virginia blend that burns hot, tastes harsh and bites hard. I agree with Sopwith on this one, save your money.

Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a thin, hot, harsh and bitey Virginia blend. Save your money.

Emeritus Account (28797)

If this is one of Esoterica's least reviewed blends, it's their own fault. Availability only in bulk may dissuade many potential fans from ever sampling it, which would be a shame. It's a lovely, lively VA with a particularly delicious flavor. The vibrant mouth feel warns of impending tongue bite, so savor this one slowly. You'll be rewarded with a beautifully fresh smoke replete with nice citrus components. Old Gowrie with pizazz.

That this isn't sold in tins is a crime, as it would be tailor-made for cellaring.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Perhaps I received the bottom of the barrel but my pouch was not a flake or had been partially rubbed out during processing. I would class it more as a ribbon cut with many long, thin strands. Despite varied packing techniques, this and the high moisture content caused difficulty and numerous and far too many relights. This also may have caused some of the bite I experienced. Perhaps a perfect packing would reduce this tendency but when coupled with the lack of natural sweetness in its taste, it's not worth the effort for me.

fengbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fengbo (10)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

More than $1 per gram in China. You are not mistaken, it is more than 1 dollar per 1 gram.

Oh my mom, this is the taste of RMB.

Ok, I am ignited.

Very cool smoke, it is delicate and soft, and full. The tobacco burns very evenly and spreads with a sweet, natural Virginia atmosphere.

The strength of nicotine is very mild and it is very suitable for me.

If you can buy it at a reasonable price, I highly recommend it.

Pipe Used: RADICE CLEAR FF