Cock Robin is the title of an old English folk song. English is also the tenor of this ready rubbed mixture with lots of pressure fermented Virginia introducing a sweet base, and a little latakia contributing a touch of smokiness. Smokes gentle and cool, with an unobtrusive room note of pure tobacco.

BrandDan Tobacco
Blended ByDan Tobacco
Blend TypeVirginia/Latakia
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Packaging50 grams tin, 250 grams bulk
Strength
Taste
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This one came directly from my source in Frankfurt who i swap tobaccos with. He gets me blends I can't obtain over here and vise versa. I wanted Cock Robin for the tin art alone but got two tins because I've always been a sucker for trying new blends. I was sure this was an aromatic and was shocked when i popped the tin and discovered that its a light English, and not a bad one either. I enjoyed the whole tin in a matter of a few weeks. I preffered this one during the day as it was fairly light.

Pipestud

Short review here.

Tin note: very slight note of cherry, maybe some blackberry.

Leaf: ready-rubbed flake, long strands

Taste: medium to full -- lots of sweetness, with definite Turkish notes in there Smoking experience: uncomplicated, hardly any maintenance necessary; smokes cool (you can smoke it hot, but don't) and leaves no dottle to speak of

Strength: could be stronger, but is satisfying for the VA smoker

Overall verdict: Beautiful smoke, great because of the Orientals in there; the sauce I could do without. Cool, gentle, great taste, three and a half stars.

Farney The Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Farney The Piper (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Superb English!

This is one of the most underestimated tobaccos I have come across. The virginias give it a subtle sweetness and the latakia adds a complexity to the mixture. Everything is rounded off by a very gentle, very mild aroma of something I cannot quite define: maybe cream, maybe honey, perhaps vanilla.. but yet again, this casing is very very subtle..

I've reserved one of my dunnies just to smoke this mixture.

If you give it a year or something in the cellar, well... this thing just gets even better!

Pipe Used: Dunhill Bruyere

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin; One Year Cellar

Purchased From: Estervals Pipe House Online Store (GER)

FilipPruncu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FilipPruncu (42)

I have a friend who is a fan of this blend, which is weird because he’s an aromatics fan and usually smokes aromatics, so when I first smoked this blend I really wondered how come he’s into it. It’s not your usual VaLat blend. This is different.

I too was under the wrong impression that being a virginia and latakia blend, it will be something sweet and creamy a smoky. Not in this case. This blend carries more notes to it.

The cut is a ready rubbed or broken flake, which, if it’s too dry will be a bit difficult packing. It’s mostly black and dark leaves, brown.

Lights up a bit difficult and needs some relights.

Having a black fermented virginia, it totally changes the game for a VaLat blend.

From the first puffs, it stings. It tastes like it has a good amount of perique or kentucky, but it doesn’t, it’s the fermented virginia which gives it this stingy, peppery note. A little sweetness comes to tame it, but it won’t be able to control it until you have smoked it enough.

I’ve been reading the other three reviews here, but it seems I’m the only one detecting this stingy, peppery notes. Maybe it’s not the same as it was in 2011 or 2015? I don’t know.

Anyway, getting back to my taste buds, as you smoke the stingy peppery notes calm down (but don’t go away) and a sweet latakia comes to balance it. There’s a slight taste of plum, blueberries and yes, blackberries as the_german well noticed. I wonder where it comes from. Could it be a casing/topping? At times, it becomes floral and citrusy, which makes you think of oriental tobacco. It’s an interesting combination of flavors.

An interesting smoke, but didn’t blow me away.

Purchased From: hacico.de