A heavy perique based blend with red Virginia and mild cavendish that comes close to the famous Escudo.

Notes: The combination of red Virginias, mellow cavendish, and a full 50% perique make C&D's Exclusive a naturally sweet and incredibly spicy blend, perfect for the lovers of the Bayou-based tobacco.

Exclusive was introduced in August, 1996.

Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsCavendish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

A friend sent me a sample of 967 to smoke and review. Thanks to him for the tobacco and thanks to C&D for creating it. Escudo was always a favorite occasional smoke of mine. Blends too heavy on the Perique are not favorites and I never found Escudo to be overwhelming in the "P" department. Nor, IMO, is C&D's Exclusive.

Heavy on strength and taste, this is a delightful change of pace smoke with a more sweet that sour lingering effect. It will churn the bellies of those who can withstand only the lighter fare.

The red Virginia is mildly tangy sweet with a little earth and wood. The Virginia cavendish is grassy with a little citrus. The perique provides plums, raisins and figs with a spice note that’s a little more than medium, and is very evident in every puff, though I do not believe it’s 50% of the mixture. 30 percent seems a more reasonabIe number. It has a fair amount of strength, but doesn’t drown out the attributes of the other tobaccos. The nic-hit is almost medium, and gets a little stronger as you go along, settling down at the medium mark as does the strength of the blend. The taste is a couple of steps past the medium mark. Won’t bite even if you puff fast. I prefer it in a bigger bowl as it seems to taste better than when I smoked it in a smaller bowl. Well blended and consistent in flavor, it burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with few relights. Leaves almost no moisture in the bowl. It’s like a stronger Three Friars without the burley. No matter what the description says, it does not taste like Escudo. Has a lingering, pleasant after taste and spicy sweet room note. Not quite an all day smoke.

-JimInks

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)

Update: 2-2015. I've finished off my original jar of Exclusive and recently, found my self missing the blend. I'm crazy about Bayou Morning, but I crave even more Perique occasionally. So I just got the next batch and after smoking a few pipes decided to give it four stars. The reason is because the quality of the Virginia has improved and the new batch has a sweetness, similar to Bayou Morning. This is a blend that demands a fresh palate and should be enjoyed without any flavored beverages, just water if you must. Anyway, Exclusive is great stuff as long as you like a super strong VaPer.

I've been a bit slow to warm up to Exclusive. But I'm glad that I delayed what would have been a two star rating. This is a very natural and earthy blend that if nothing else, might grow on you. And I think it's a good complementary blend to Old Joe Krantz; both blends share the very dominant spicy green(ish) Perique that I'm crazy about. The unsweetened Cav is so minor here, but it might give a hint of mushroomy? Flavor mid- bowl. The Virginia might be the weakness of the blend; is isn't sweet and comes across as cigarette smoke - very uninteresting. So from initial taste of Chinese Mustard and cigarette smoke, we drift toward a zingy peppery Portobello mushroom with cigarette to a similar but toned down finish. I like Exclusive well enough and it works when I need a break from the Burleys. A very respectable medium+ N level. If I could (magically) replace the Virginia with Old Gowrie, Exclusive would be a four star yum!

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Spool

Age When Smoked: 3 months from bulk

Purchased From: smokingpipes

I liked this from the first puff. The Virginia is sweet and grassy. The perique is spicy and adds some plum when sipped. The cavendish gives it a mellow fullness. The description on smokingpipes says 50% perique and I have my doubts. The perique in Elizabethan Match makes my throat raw with consecutive bowls and this does not.

In some ways this is a little like Three Friars kicked up a notch. It was a great medium-full flavor in an easy burning and affordable combo. It is easy to recommend.

This came very moist and was a bit difficult to deal with. Smoke it too moist and it was hot and steamy. Too dry and it gets a bit harsh. Getting it just right required babysitting it. When just right the 3 components were nicely balanced and a pleasure to smoke. The wetter it was the more forward the Perique. The dryer it was the more forward the Cavendish (a strong Burley). The Virginias seemed to stay the same regardless. I liked it when it was just right, but it's just too big of a pain to deal with. As for being like Escudo, there was a passing resemblance when the moisture level was correct.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Oddly, This tobacco doesn't get enough credit in my book. This is a WONDERFUL Va/Per with just a hint of cav that give the Overall smoke a hint of sweetness. It's wonderful in any pipe I have come across, and the room note is quite nice. I have heard this liked to Escudo, which was a wonderful blend in it's own right, but quite frankly, I like this better. It's in the bulk section for C&D so it is even a bit cheaper.

Very much worth a look.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I got several samples of C&D tobaccos from Craig Miller. I have avoided C&D blends due to some mediocre reviews in my early smoking days, and because the vast number of their blends would fuel a massive TAD hoarding if I liked them. I think that may be inevitable now.

Approximately 1/3 bright, brown and black tobaccos (each), this blend is touted as being quite heavy in Perique. C&D says it is an Escudo-clone attempt. I don?t agree, because this is less dark, more fragrant. There is a comparable richness and back-of-the-throat sharpness that I enjoy in both, but this is not quite as full-flavored. It packs a good nicotine wallop, though. I think Two Friends Redwood is a closer comparison.

Not much top range, but the Perique tang compensates nicely, keeping this lively. The Virginias shine in the mid-range, sweet, natural and smooth with a texture that I can only compare to a big, oakey California Chardonnay. The Perique is beautifully integrated, adding a rich, tingly/warm note that ?peppery? just doesn?t capture. Overnight DGT boosts the Virginia element wonderfully, while the Perique integrates even further. While not a wildly complex blend (neither is Escudo, to my tastes), Exclusive develops gradually like a good Virginia blend should. Highly recommended.

Addendum: To get the most from the Virginias, this blend should be 'air-smoked', a/k/a with lips not quite sealed to let in a bit of outside air with each puff. There is a touch of ammonia in the room aroma, but it doesn't detract much from the experience. There is also a slight bitterness in the flavor that somehow works. The bass range is mostly Perique. This does tire the tongue due to its strength and sharpness, so it is not an all-day blend.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

I taste the ingredients that that Escudo has, but they are not as well integrated in this blend. There are several reasons for this, namely the Big E is aged in a roll, and it's tinned rather than bulk. This should be cellared for about a year, then it would be a stellar blend. I might try it again, having it pressed by C&D. It works for 417P. Worth a try if you are tired of paying the cost of Escudo.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (220)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: a spectrum of Virginias mixed with Perique, this blend in theory approximates "Escudo" but in reality exceeds it.

Mixing summery Red Virginia with earthy and sweet Cavendish produces a base upon which Perique appears as not so much fruity as tangy with slight spice. Unlike "Escudo," the blend upon which "Exclusive" is rumored to be based, the Virginias take a broad middle spectrum that is not too sweet, avoiding the "breakfast cereal effect" of sweet Virginias with Perique. Instead, this is an Indian Summer blend, capturing the last fullness of the harvest season before fall, with a malted grain and fermented hay flavor that is full, gentle and yet appealing.

Thanks to former PipesMagazine forum member "misterlowercase" for this sample.

Similar Blends: Blatter & Blatter - Escudo, Peterson - Irish Oak, Dunhill - Elizabethan Mixture.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)

This could become my all day smoke of choice. I usually don't enjoy cavandish and can barely taste it in this blend. Very enjoyable and satisfying.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (336)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Unnoticeable

This past Labor Day, one of the online tobacco stores had a sale on C&D bulk blends. I believe I bought about seven different ones of about four ounces each. This is one of them. It has the typical Perique smell out of the jar. Nice springy tobacco while loading my Meerschaum. The description says 50 percent Perique and quite a few reviewers do not sense that while smoking. The Perique is there but I cannot ascertain the quantity unless I send it to a lab if such one exists but that ain’t happening. This also claims to be close to the famous Escudo. Sorry but Escudo is cut into coins and the batch I have is not even close in taste which also has me questioning the Perique amount as stated. Maybe the Perique in my batch settled to the bottom and mine was scooped up from the top. Kidding of course. Upon smoking this on occasion I would hit what I can only describe as a raw, green grassy taste that really was not pleasant. Not sure if it was the Cav or maybe the VA is not very old can’t really say…. A few days later I have smoked some more and did not detect the raw grassiness but this one is not really offering me much bang when it comes to my entertainment dollar. Glad to try new blends but this one is only somewhat recommended so I will join the two-star camp. The good thing is that I am sure others do enjoy this. On a side note, I probably give out a lot of three stars as I have tried a lot of blends that are good, I try to save the four stars for a blend that I see fireworks setting off in the sky, etc. and do not come across a lot that I would rate two or one stars but without reservation and absolutely no guilt I hereby sentence this blend to two stars, may God have mercy on its soul.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (125)

Update: Although I like this it turns out it doesn't like me too much. I get slight bite from it over time. Probably due to newish VA/moisture problems that Gentleman Zombie alluded to. So I'm knocking off a star and going back to Irish Oak, which I can smoke in any pipe as much as I want without consequence except boredom, for a Va/Per, or to OJK for a burlier version of same.

To me, this tastes something like Peterson's Irish Oak's bigger, perhaps less refined sister (the kind of sister who lifts weights).

The VAs here are less prominent than in Irish Oak and the burley cavendish here tastes a bit different than the Thai Burly.

Unlike Irish Oak, this does not DGT at all, whereas Irish Oak is an excellent DGT tobacco.

However, to me, they fill a similar niche and I like them both a lot. But you really have to love the spicy side of Perique to like this tobacco.

I did not have a problem with moisture/steam, but I approach this tobacco the way I smoke moist British flakes: I use an extra absorbent pipe cleaner during the smoke, letting the pipe cool with the cleaner in the stem, which sucks away the excess moisture. I think if I let this tobacco dry out it would get harsh.

As it is, it is a full-on VA/Perique which hits the spot for me and even works in a larger pipe, although it does get awful peppery toward the end. I don't smoke Escudo although I've had it of course, but from what I remember, this does not resemble Escudo/Flake Medallions/etc. at all.

Another bell ringer from C&D .

Similar Blends: Peterson Irish Oak.

Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a Va/Per smoker for the most part, and have had this sample for over a year. Decided to give it a twirl in a Kurt Huhn Tulip.

Initial flavors were full on strong Perique, almost unbearable. When I think of heavy Perique VA/Pers, I compare them to the likes of Fillmore or Telegraph Hill. This one was a lot stronger in that dept.

Started harsh on exhale out the nose for the first half bowl, but managed to smooth into a slightly softer tone that allowed a little bit of the Virginia to make an appearance.

I did experience a nicotine kick at the bottom, which took me by surprise.

overall: A little too strong on the Perique, not enough of the VAs came through for me. Not a bad blend, as it burned well enough. The differing sizes of tobacco cuts is bothersome, some bits are so small they come through the draught hole and others are too large to fit in the pipe. I'd recommend this to someone who feels Fillmore or Telegraph Hill aren't strong enough for them. If you prefer VA/Pers with a nice hint of Perique, this will be too much. I didn't think this was anywhere near Escudo in flavor.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

This will be somewhat of a mixed review because I've been sampling this stuff for about 3 years now when I want a full flavored Perique blend. When first bought, I loved this stuff. It was never anything like Escudo to me, but excellent in it's own right. Fairly sweet and strong in perique with a great aroma. Unfortunately, I don't think this stuff ages very well. The last 6 months have melded the tobaccos perfectly- almost to the point of being bland. The strength is still there, but the contrasting sweetness and strength I used to get when new is gone. There's also an odd flavor which might be the cavendish part changing over time. I don't know. So, basically, excellent when new and only so-so now. I'd buy it again but wouldn't age it this time.

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (108)

This one was a little bit different due to the 50% perique. The bag aroma is figs and raisins. The flavor was the same all the way down but the strength of it increased as the bowl progressed. The flavor was pepper with a hint of sweetness. Burned cool and dry. It's an okay blend but not something ill be going back for again.

Update 10/17/2021

Currently having a bowl of Escudo. No way in hell Exclusive is even remotely close to Escudo.

StevieB (2027)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Cornell & Diehl - Exclusive.

A well rubbed, medium brown, ribbon, which arrives with good hydration. The pouch-note has a more than clear tang of Perique.

Exclusive takes to the flame easily, and tastes far better when smoked tentatively. When sipped all the components come together nicely, when chugged the Perique dominates. If sipped the Perique gives a dark fruitiness, abstains from developing a vinegary flavour, and gets a citrus-sweet support from the Virginia Cavendish. It burns well, nice and cool, without any bite.

Nicotine: quite strong. Room-note: not pleasant.

Exclusive? Alright, but too dependent on technique for higher than two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes Milverton

BryGuySC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BryGuySC (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Disclaimer: C&D virginias tend to not agree with me; coming across dry and sharp.

Starts out very flat and dry and uninteresting, like most fresh C&D blends (at least for me). After smoking for a while the perique really kicks in very nicely. A strong spice settles in as the main component. About halfway through the bowl, some sweetness picks up. Wow. This stuff really brings it. Definitely has some nicotine. Not a flavor powerhouse, but it suggests good vaper flavors. I think some time in a jar will probably bring out more flavor.

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)

Cornell & Diehl Exclusive

I like perique but I guess sometimes you can have too much of a good thing...

This one starts off amiably enough and builds from there. From mid bowl on its a nicotine drenched, perique forward monster.

The comparison with Escudo boggles me. Exclusive is neither rolled, pressed, sliced, topped, nor is it smooth. The flavors aren't married the same from a fresh tin.

It's not a bad blend, just a little too much of what it is for my tastes. A perique fanatic may really enjoy it. Perhaps would smooth out some with aging.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (24)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with most of the members here, the tobacco strength is really medium to Strong. If you smokes this in a hot place (Like Brazil) sometimes can not be a good idea because certain you will feel the recoil or a nic hit... The perique smell are fully present in the package like the pipe. For perique lovers, this is a full bowl. And one more time Cornell & Diehl made a very good tobacco. Recommended!

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (25)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This blend's tin note is full of Perique's fermented vegetable matter aroma but with a dark musty twang. It smells like stale, burned raisin bread. The smell carries over into the flavor but now with a huge dose of nicotine that I just can't handle.

I'm going to leave this blend to the professionals.

Purchased From: SP.com

Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've had this sealed in a jar for a few years as I do all my C&D products, which I normally love by the way. Upon opening, the aroma was almost too much. Too much what? Too much cheap chocolate topping, or whatever it is on the Cavendish, perhaps? Too much perique? Not likely for me, but reports claim Exclusive contains upwards of 50% perique. I have smoked perique undiluted, directly from Percy Martin's farm and I found the aromas quite different. Too much red Virginia? I don't think so. Whatever it is I don't find it particularly enticing, but once lit tin aromas can be moot, and in this case "almost" is.

My second problem is it would not dry out. I left it out to dry in my air conditioned home for 13 days on a piece of newspaper before giving up. If I squeezed it between my thumb and fingers it would stick in a big clump. PG? Not what I'm used to from my friends at C&D.

I packed a pipe, a large for me GBD 135, a medium billiard from the 50's-70's. One of my favorite and best performers. It didn't want to light very easily so I sat it down overnight for a little DGT. Upon lighting this morning everything is going smoothly, performance-wise. It's burning nice and slowly, but not going out either, as I type this review.

The taste is fair, leaning a little too much to the aromatic side for me, but not without redeeming values. A somewhat pleasant chocolate flavor with some perique "figginess". I can't seem to find the Virginia in there. It has a somewhat nice nicotine effect for an "aromatic" type blend.

Exclusive will probably never be in my daily rotation, but one I'll surely finish given enough time. I'll give it 2.5 stars and call it "somewhat recommended"; it will surely find an audience. Try a small sample if you think this is too strange for you. Who knows you just might like it.

As a replacement for Escudo, forget about it. Judge it on its own merits.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (193)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I was scared shitless of trying this tobacco for the first time because of the allegation it contains 50% perique, so when it came in the post I simply pushed it to the back of the drawer waiting for a better chance to try it. Well, this time has come, and I am glad it did because, surprisingly enough, I am enjoying it. This is like a good smoked steak with lots of barbecue sauce and caramelized onions in it. The perique is still in there working its magic, but it is not nearly as strong as I was expecting. Because it contains cavendish, it is not a true VaPer, but I don't care. This combination is working out well for me, and that's what really matters. The addition of red Virginia means it will build up in strength nicotine-wise, but smoking it in smaller size bowls fixes the problem. On another note, the moist content is rather high, but this is adding to the fun of smoking it. Perhaps not an everyday smoke, but it is superb as an evening or late-night companion. It is sweet and smokey, and will leave you satisfied and ready for bed. The room note is probably horrendous, but I personally do not care. Not for the faint-hearted, but I will give it a go if you are into the sort of franken-tobacco formula of Bayou Morning and the like.

RonR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RonR (82)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

3rdguy

I would say it seems around 40% Perique but that is just my opinion. If you are affected by perique it will seem more. I would also say the more frequently I smoked it the less the perique stood out. Really solid blend, unflavored cavendish adds some body and smoke to the blend. Red Virginia’s are always present. Nice addition to my rotation, affordable and available in bulk. Ages great.

Feb/2020: I have smoked a few lbs of this now. I will upgrade it to 4 Stars.

Pipe Used: Meers and cobs

Age When Smoked: 6 months to 2 years.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (169)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

What's not to like? Nice strong blend. Very tasty, especially with the Perique. No tongue bite. It's a little moist, but that can be cured. Love this blend.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (198)

C & D Exclusive has a jar note that is sweet and spicy. This is based on a 1 oz sample instead of the usual 2 oz so take it for what it is worth. The jar date is 4/14/21 so about 3.5 months. I tried it ROTT and all I got get was perique. It had been out of stock for quite a while and I picked it up as soon as it came in so that might have something to do with it. I left it in the jar until now, and it is nothing short of marvelous! The perique is out front for me still but not so much to overpower the other tobaccos. It has notes of plum, raisins and figs as well as its normal spice that I love. The red VA's have a tangy dark fruit note and I do pick up some grass along the way. It is more than a little earthy with a note or two of wood here and there. The cav, does not have that brown sugar note so it must not be dark whatever it is it has a light grass and citrus note to it and follows behind the others. I love this blend! The strength is a solid med. and offers plenty of smoke. I prefer this in a wide bowl and I like it packed just a little lighter than I would normally pack most blends. The nic starts out med. but builds to just short of med. strong and will satisfy. The taste is med. full with the notes above easily picked out in every sip. The room note is pleasant to me but others found it tolerable with comments that it did not smell as good as some of my other blends but was not too strong. This is a winner in my book, I don't need that second oz to know that. I will be picking up a couple of lbs soon.

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (74)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Perhaps quite a lot of Perique,but I like it.50%? I don´t think so,anyway enough for Perique lovers.Not the usual VaPer,instead we must include this stuff in the PerVa category.Cavendish,there is certainly, but hiden in this powerful blend.Not for everybody and everyday,but is really good.

Pipe Used: meers

Age When Smoked: fresh from bag

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Bayou Morning but stronger and wider cut.