Light aromatic mixture.

BrandJames Fox
Blended ByPlanta
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
Strength
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Strong
Taste
Mild, Medium
Pleasant, Tolerable to Strong
Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

I think I had described my experience with Fox`s Aromatic en passant in another review. Now that it has its own entry it gets its own review.

On opening the tin I got the strongest black cherry note I have ever encountered. Not even black cherries have such a strong note. But I must hasten to add that the aroma is not in the least chemical or synthetic: it smells entirely natural.

Somewhat wet in the tin, the tobacco burned well - not too hot and not too wet - down to the bottom. The room note caused a few raised eyebrows, and this in a family that actually likes the aroma of pipe smoke, particularly Latakia! Though highly aromatic, I did not find the mixture to be as dauntingly sweet as the tin aroma threatened it might be.

The aroma clung tenaciously to clothing and hair, and, of course, the pipe. Having shampooed my hair I found that the towel I had used to dry my head was reeking of black cherries! It was out of the question to smoke the mixture on its own. I mixed the aromatic with a strong (in nicotine) but bland and harsh tobacco in the proportion of one part aromatic to five parts non-aromatic, and the resultant concoction I smoke from time to time with some degree of amusement.

This experiment was made about two years ago. I would have been tempted to rate this with a single star, but for the fact that I have not lost patience with the results of my home blending and not felt inclined to throw out the mess.

rollyourowntobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rollyourowntobacco (7)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

As someone who has smoked cigarettes for nigh on twenty years my sense of taste isn't all that great, so as a general rule I don't do reviews for pure aromatics and leave it to the pros, but, seeing as this tobacco has one review from 2009 I'll throw in my two cents. By the way, now it goes by the name "Ardagh" rather than "Aromatic"

As with most aromatics it's fairly low on nicotine, this can either be a plus or a minus depending on the smoker. As far as aroma goes, it's lovely, think Connoisseur's Choice from Peterson, but more straight-forward and less complexity, though not to it's detriment, apparently the flavoring is Rum, Ginger and Cherry, I find the flavoring so subtle (not weak) that none of them truly stand out and it all amalgamates into a lovely sweet body, unlike most alcohol aromatics I've tried, where the alcohol predominates

Is it the best aromatic I've tried? Probably not, but it's better than average, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again were I want to try something different from the usuals in my rotation, an excellent backup tobacco

4 stars, recommended

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: James Fox

Similar Blends: Connoisseur's choice.