Balanced and smooth, this is an English mixture with subtle and sweet aromatic properties - a ribbon cavendish comprised of lemon Virginias, AAA burleys and the best Latakia available. Genuine St. James Parish perique and fine Turkish grades insure great taste and satisfaction to the most discriminating smoker.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging50 grams pouch, bulk
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

Another sample provided to my pipe club by Altadis awhile back; I finally smoked a couple of bowls recently. Hey, I'm glad I did because this tobacco was loaded with all kinds of stuff (Burley,Cavendish, Virginia, latakia, Perique & Turkish). There was even some hint of added flavoring that, although unidentifiable, added to the overall effect.

It packed well, stayed lit well, offered some decent mellowness and didn't kill any family members when I lit up in the living room. They did leave quickly though.

Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (9)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

While this is a very tasty blend with plenty of latakia flavor, it bites like a pit bull. I've smoked plenty of Altadis aromatics and none of them bite like this. The culprit, I suspect, is the Virginias. If you are very careful with this, it can be a rewarding, although by no means every day smoke.

garand555 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garand555 (6)

I recently got back into pipe smoking, and picked up a small pouch of this from a local tobacco shop. First bowl was admittedly awful and had a lot of bite, but not being a quitter, I tried a second bowl and it was noticeably better. The next morning I decided to try again with a small basket pipe that finally started smoking OK and WOW! No tongue bite and a nice mellow flavor. I couldn't tell you if that first bowl was a result of my mouth not being used to the specific chemistry of that tobacco or if I had just packed it poorly, but I just went in and purchased a half pound of this tobacco and put most of it in a quart jar to age. I think I'm going to do that once per month until I have a nice stash of it. It's probably not for everybody, but I have a feeling it is going to be one of my new favorites.

EDIT: I just opened a jar that's been aged for about two months. It's even better just after two months! Smoother. Mellower. Even less propensity for tongue bite. It goes really well in a cob. I can't wait to see what even more time does.

Pipe Used: Basket Pipes, Chacom Alize

Age When Smoked: Not Aged

Purchased From: Monte's Pipes & Cigars

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (29765)

In my experiance, altadis blends seem to follow a certain criteria: they are overly moist, and they burn hot. Case and point, they give me tounge bite.

Finally, I found a tobacco where this is NOT the case. Although it still burns a little on the warm side, it isn't nearly as bad as other altadis blends.

Tastes good, and most people around me say they can barely smell it, even when I'm indoors smoking. Mild room note, but the flavor isn't! I reccomend this to other smokers looking for a good all day english.