For those who love the sea few things in life are more satisfying after a long day on the salt than dropping anchor in a quiet harbor and enjoying a beautiful sunset. C&D invites you to enhance the experience with a bowl of Sunset Harbor Flake, a classic Balkan style blend made with the finest Izmir Oriental to add a touch of spice to the end of a perfect day.

Blend TypeBalkan
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Taste

This was an interesting blend. The three components seemed to be well married by the processing of the flake. This created, at least for me, a less complex but very tasty flavor profile that held together well for the first three quarters of the bowl. The flavor was one of a smoky, sour, creamy, mildly spicy, cheese. It is literally mouthwatering. I mean it flipped my salivary gland switch to full ON. The last one quarter of the blend saw an increase in the creaminess and a mellowing of the other nuances creating a nice "let you down easy" finish. This blend requires very little of the smoker. It's a blend for doing yard work, tinkering at the work bench, or for just kicking back and relaxing. I like it.......yes sir......I like it a lot.

Pipe Used: MM General

Similar Blends: Gouda cheese????????.

ADz Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ADz Pipes (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is the bomb - took a tin to my local pipe club in Nottingham UK - and almost brought home an empty tin!! Very nice stuff indeed superb in every respect - strongish stuff and full of flavour, burns well but takes a bit of lighting - but then it burns to white ash, and is a mega smoke, not a wife pleaser or female nostril attracter !! But for the Latakia, Perique Oriental lover - this is a power house and easy smoke more than one bowl of it! My very good pal in the US has got me two more tins - this is why I say we don't have much choice in the UK! Miss it - miss out - nuff said!

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (107)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Sunset Harbor Flake feels like a very soft crumble cake that falls apart in my hands and makes every method to fill your pipe obsolete. Using the advanced “just put it in there somehow and light it up” method I get an immediately gentle and extraordinary smooth smoke. It has a slight but deep sweetness reminding me of Tonka, Cardamom and maybe Cinnamon. There is also a satisfying mellow spiciness, that’s never upfront or aggressive. I find remarkable, that the aftertaste is pretty intense only when smoked right out of a fresh tin and becomes barely noticeable when aged a few months.

A soothing experience that feels like a warm blanket when you sit out on your porch and the sun goes down on late summer evenings (I should stop looking at the tin while I write…). Enjoy!

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: fresh to 2 yrs

Similar Blends: HU Dockworker Flake.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The touch of Izmir made this an interesting smoke. Since Izmir Orientals are usually reserved for cigarettes, I guess I thought this would be more cigarette and less pipe in taste. I was wrong.

Although this one did not hit me with the knockout punch that other reviewers here received, it was a palate paster and I knew I'd been involved in some serious smoking.

This blend is dry upon opening the tin and burned very cool. I am sure I would have liked it better with more Izmir and less Latakia and Perique, but that's just me.

Overall, another nicely done C&D offering.

The smoky, woody, earthy, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component. The woody, earthy, dry and sour, floral, spicy, sharp Izmir is a strong supporting player. The spicy, raisiny, plumy, earthy perique is just above being a condiment. The strength is a step past the medium mark, while the taste level is a slot past that. The nic-hit is almost medium. Won’t bite, but fast puffing may result in a harsh note or two, and there are plenty of rough edges. This is more of a crumble kake than it is a flake, and may need a light dry time. Burns fairly cool, very clean, and a bit slow with a very consistent, mildly sweet and very savory flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights. The after taste has a bitter note. The room note is a little strong. Not an all day smoke. Two and a half stars.

-JimInks

StevieB (1982)

Cornell & Diel - Sunset Harbour Flake.

Love it, love it, love it.

The appearance is more that of a broken flake, it's dark brown, and at a good level of hydration. Although the bottom of the tin contains pieces that don't need any further rubbing the top half still needs some. But, this couldn't be a simpler task: they don't need a firm rub, and turn into more of a fluff than ribbons. But, be warned, upon ignition the 'fluff' can swell, and tumble out of the pipe!

The flavour is beautiful. Beautiful? Is that a bit over-the-top? Whatever!!! The Latakia's clear to taste, but doesn't monopolize the smoke. This gives smokiness, woodiness, etc., but the Oriental adds zest, lots of character, a slight creaminess, and the Perique gives a bit of a 'punch'. The temperature from Sunset Harbour's cool, and I find the burn faultless.

The room-note: I like it, although it's strong. Nicotine: above medium.

Sunset Harbour Flake? HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Rattray's The Clan.

Age When Smoked: Four months

Strong None Detected Full Strong

Another fine blend by C&D

It reminded me a bit of Penzance, but not as complex. This is a rich heady blend that still remains to be complex enough to keep me smoking it.

Upon opening of the tin, you will notice it needs some drying time. The flakes do smell delicious. Rub them out, let them dry on the tin cap for 15-20 minutes, then pack and enjoy.

Warning: This blend gets very intense at the bottom of the bowl and it will occlude your tastebuds for a good long while. But, it is worth it......

Yes, it is Latakia heavy, but still highly recommended.

BTW it will scare people away with its room note, so enjoy with fellow pipers.....

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (97)

This is definitely not a typical Balkan blend. The fact that this only contains Turkish, perique, and Latakia is what draws me to it. And honestly, this is not what I imagined.

The tin aroma is slightly smoky but a fruity sweetness is mostly dominant with a slight mustiness from the Turkish. Of all broken flakes that I've experienced, this is the most different and best one to handle. A very soft Flake that just falls apart but just touching it. Loads in a pipe very well. The first and second 3rd of the bowl is smoky, fruity and musty. I'm the last third, the izmir really pops through. It finishes to a nice gray ash. Burns cool and absolutely no tongue bite.

This was a very unique and pleasant experience. Also goes well with a chocolate milk. Wouldn't want to smoke it everyday but makes a very good treat while relaxing on a cold night.

Update 5-28-19. I've found this blend has by far became my favorite English/Balkan blend. It's so consistent bowl to bowl and no tongue bite with plenty of nice rich flavor.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Sunset Harbor Flake has a strong flavor and decent ingredients but lacks any real depth or complexity. I keep coming back to the tin every so often hoping that it was the wrong pipe or I was in the wrong mood the last time I smoked it. Nope. Just a very mediocre blend where the components never seem to get on well with each other.

I am continually unimpressed with C&D offerings and this one is no exception. It has all my favorite ingredients but, like the half dozen other C&D blends I've tried, it just has little to recommend it over much better offerings from other blenders. (Which is odd because Low Country's Cooper Flake is made by C&D and it is outstanding).

Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this Balkan flake to be without a doubt the best I have ever tasted. It burns so cool and is so intensely flavorful that I was truly disappointed when the bowl was finished. I smoked this blend in a group 5 or 6 Wilke billiard and it provided a long and pleasant smoking experience. This blend will not bite, not even if you smoke it fast. Nice work, Craig & Co. Four stars!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (173)

A Balkan broken flake, with a varietal, Izmir.

Cool, dark and having all the savory properties of a decent Balkan or good full English.

Somewhat comparable by me to Penzance but not as intense.

Not much more to say, other than I like it. Let's see what others add.

HeavyMetalPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HeavyMetalPiper (65)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

The smell is sweetish and with a kind of ripeness.

This was one of the first blends I ever bought about a decade ago. I like Erinmore Flake and this was another flake available at a local shop. I liked it then, but having it again with a more refined palate has me enjoying it even more. The taste is smoky, and also sweet yet sour. It's what I expect when a blend is described as Balkan, and it does not disappoint. I'm in the process of building a proper rotation and this is a very strong contender and will take a lot to unseat.

You can find my video review of this blend here:

YouTube Video

Pipe Used: SMS Meerschaum Skater

Age When Smoked: 7 Months

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

My third of four reviews today and none will get more than 2 stars. This blend hung around as an open container for me for nearly three years. This is less an indication of what I thought of it and more an indication of how many open Latakia blends I have at present. This one was just forgotten.

This blend has a lot of latakia and its presence is nearly overwhelming in the blend. At least it is to me. C&D makes several blend with a lot of latakia. Pirate Kake, Mountain kake and Billy Budd come to mind. The difference of SHF to those is there is something more to the latakia that makes each bowl interesting. With SHF, all I get is smoke and the dreaded Lat tongue rendering nearly everything I smoke within a few hours after to be tasteless.

I don't have many good things to say about this blend, but will add this. It does have a lot of nicotine. This is something rather uncommon with heavy lat blends. If this is something that you desire then this may be the blend for you, but I would still recommend GLP Key largo over this to accomplish the same end as it will just deliver a better sensation on the palate. This one lies between 1 and 2 stars, but I am bumping it up to 2 stars, perhaps out of my bias to C&D blends which I enjoy so much. It does have their quality leaf.

Gr8tefuldawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gr8tefuldawg (63)

C&D sunset harbor flake

This blend tin art is a beauty to behold, but so is what’s inside the tin. This blend comes in somewhat broken flakes although moist upon opening they dried quite quickly, I prefer to fold and stuff my flakes these seem unable to hold that consistency and fall apart more frequently.

The matter of the flakes breaking apart may be a good thing as this stuff smokes great, every bowl I’ve had smokes cool and remains flavorful. This has that quintessential Balkan taste, although it has the sweetness found in SPC plum pudding special reserve or black house it’s a bit tamer.

The oriental leaf place a larger part with the Latakia smokiness contributing but never overpowering. The sweetness from the VA’s comes and goes but is always a welcome addition when it appears for a chat.

I have to say I’m glad I took a chance on this blend, it’s become a great replacement for Dunhill durbar and until that blend( if it returns) comes back this will be stocked in my cellar and remain in my rotation.

The tin I’m smoking was dated 28mar19, I am dwindling down to breadcrumbs but have plenty stocked to replace, the aging process helped smooth it out a bit, but it smokes just as great fresh.

4/4 highest of recommendations.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 9 months

Purchased From: Tobaccopipes.com

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (221)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I wouldn’t call this necessarily bad, but the dusty spice flavor wasn’t my cuppa. The tobacco was a quite moist broken flake and upon opening the tin and each bowl required 30-60 minutes drying time to be smokeable. I didn’t care for the smell upon opening the tin, the smell reminded me of a bad Mediterranean food joint. The taste was actually a pretty bland English with occasional puffs of that unpleasant spice note, which must have been the Izmir in retrospect. Not awful, but I won’t be finishing the tin.

Farmingpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Farmingpiper (3)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

these flake are crumbling realy easily and are easy to pack and smoke. i found it not relly evolutive from start to finish but it's not a bad thing. It taste alot like chocolate to me and i like the little spiciness. It leave a good after taste in the mouth like a floral nutty taste if i can say.

Pipe Used: cob and brigham chinook 421

Age When Smoked: from 3 months to a year

Purchased From: 4 noggins

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (24)

This seems to be a hidden gem by Cornell and Diehl. For some reason, SHF isn't talked about as much as it probably deserves. This is a nice Balkan blend that is perfectly balanced and delicious. No component ever seems to take over, but compliments each other throughout the bowl, doing just enough to keep it from becoming boring. My tin was full of nice, dark, broken flakes that rubbed out easily. Some drying time was necessary to avoid relights but smoked great once dried. Any fan of Balkan blends should give this one a try.

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

It´s bewildering to find such a wonder of sweetness,flavour,pure cream in the jungle of trash,boring,flat blends of CD-Pease.They are able to prepare differentiate and realy smoking cream like this,but when you open another thin,lets say Red Odessa for instance,you only find manure for the garden at tobacco price.By the way with more or less same ingredients.I would like repeat Sunset Harbor,splendid and very special,but sincerely I don´t trust anymore in Cornell&Diehl.I,m very sorry indeed because C&D was a reference of quality and creativity in Pipe World.

Pipe Used: peterson system

Purchased From: smokingpipes

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (69)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Quite dry blend which burns almost to quickly (maybe it was just my tin...). Anyway, it is good tobacco, but without any thrill. Cornell & Diehl has better mixtures.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I've opened a tin from more than one year old and smoked a pipe of this. Not so heavy in latakia in my opinion. A very good and sweet taste coming from the latakia and oriental spiced with perique. Not a latakia boost like Pirate Kake but the latakia is clearly there. Broke up the flake almost completely, very slow burning, one lightning.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (59)
Medium Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

An excellent balkan flake rich in latakia and orientals but with a tender and placid sweetness. Good flavour and very good taste. It remains very very very long time in your mouth:a great pleasure! For relaxing moment. Four stars, of course !

Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Pleasant

This is a very nice, full flavored flake. I can't stress enough that this is big huge full power. I smoked it during the day once, and am afraid to smoke it again during the day or when driving because this knocked me on my a**! But this tobacco is full of flavor and I do recommend it. Just save it for the evening.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I you would like to try Cornell & Diehl's version of the McClelland Blakeney's Best Latakia Flake ,this is it. Draw your own conclusions.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I have become a bit leery of Englishes. I have a pretty low threshold for latakia. But I recognize a good blend when I smoke one. I first tried this as a broken flake, and later as a normal flake. They smoked about the same. this will undoubtably change with ageing. My suggestion is buy 2. Open one and hold off 6 months on #2. Start up light does bring the latakia to the front as expected. But rather than being overpowering, it as a nice exotic backbeat from the izmir. Once cruising speed is reached, the perique adds some different spice, while the latakia calms a bit....Strength increases a bit toward the end, but not unpleasant. Overall this is a nice english flake. The overall effect is a plus. Nice estetic tin, Great presentation, Flavor is perfect for after dinner or a stroll in the cooling winter air.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (139)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Upon opening the tin you are greeted with a sour, smokey, earthy scent that is quite delightful. The tobacco seems to be more of a broken cake/flake mix. When one 'grabs' one of the, dark brown with black and yellow flecks, flakes it quickly breaks apart and can easily be rubbed out into an almost powder. This actually makes it extremely easy to load, without rubbing it out. Just fill your pipe and lightly tamp, repeat until the pipe is full of your desired amount. It make it easy to light and keep lit with no relights and light but firm tamping along the way.

I was skeptical of this blend based upon the components. No Va's? Hmm.... I love my English blends with VAs and my straight VAs as well. However I was nicely surprised to find this to be a rich, creamy, sour and smokey tobacco. The components are married perfectly and it's a no fuss blend. Just load up, light, and enjoy. It's complex enough to keep one interested, but consistent and easy going that one could enjoy it all day. I'm a fan now as it has really grown on me.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bent Billard

Age When Smoked: 4 Months

Purchased From: Smoking PIpes

Similar Blends: Can't think of any other blends that are similar.

troyniss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
troyniss (22)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Presentation: Mixed together with smaller pieces throughout the semi intact flakes come in different lengths and sizes and not one is alike to the other. Looks more of which someone took a crumble cake and fashioned it into slices. Further breaking apart requires no effort and falls apart easily. Still, a unique presentation that I have yet to find in another blend. Moisture is a little more than usual out of the tin, but can be smoked right away.

Palette: The Latakia comes through first with a slightly smoky essence. Not a typical campfire strong latakia, but a rather sweet BBQ glaze with a little bit of charring. The orientals play a significant role next to the Latakia in the minor wood notes followed by a sour zest. These two combined create an almost creamy like mouthfeel you might attribute to a plain Greek yogurt. What is interesting with this blend is that even though it contains no Virginia components, it still retains a delicate sweetness that is noticeable throughout the smoke. The perique adds just enough spice on the retrohale. It is slightly prune and black pepper, an even mix with both never dominating the other. It has a somewhat savory essence to it too. Reminds me of the salt on the rim of a well done margarita. As you take sips, the salt gently soaks up some of the sweet liquid until you are finished. You take swipes with your tongue to the glass and it is sweet, sour and salty all at the same time.

Performance: You can either rub the flakes out and have medium sized pieces and layer them, or rub it out completely to have fluffy, even smaller sized pieces. Either way, the blend burns really well. Doesn't bite unless really pushed being that there are no Virginias to burn too hot. Nicotine is mild to me and even after a bowl I don't feel too much. Leaves a little dottle at the bottom along with some moisture. Requires about two false lights and one true light, with one relight, sometimes two. Not an all day blend, but some who fall in love can easily smoke this more than once a day, if a few bowls in a row.

Conclusion: A super underrated Balkan that I'm surprised is top tier in terms of quality and flavor. I suppose some pipe smokers may be hesitant to purchase this blend seeing that there is no Virginia leaf added to the blend and may assume that it is bold and heavy, but I think that what Sunset Harbor Flake does with the form factor, it melds the flavors together to give it a unique and rich, mildly complex, semi sweet smoke. I can usually smoke this blend two bowls in a row. I wish they would make this in 8oz or 16oz tins, as I would love to cellar this deep. For now, 2oz tins it is.

Pipe Used: Morgan Bones Thick Bulldog

Purchased From: SP

Similar Blends: GL Pease Lagonda, SPC Plum Pudding.

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (203)

This has come highly recommended from folks in the Bones Pipe Club.

My tin has a 032819 date on it, so just over a month of age. Tinnote is fruity/spicy. The flakes crumble apart, haven't seen anything quite like that. Easy to load and light.

Taste starts out smoky from the latakia. There is def some fruit taste from the Perique and some "spice" from the Turkish. It is a real consistent smoke as I didn't notice much difference from beginning to end. Nicotine was stronger than I expected but not overpowering.

I can see why this one is so popular.

Pipe Used: Morgan Bones Fat Author

Age When Smoked: 1 month

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

A decent, competent blend, but nothing special and typically C&D/Pease. Earthy, sour, sometimes sweet and sour, burns and packs well, moderate vitamin N. There's others which put the wind in my sails more than this one.

Fun to try; however, I shan't purchase more.