Rich is an understatement. Sweet blackened leaf masterfully blended with Lemon Virginias. Creamy Vanilla Malt dressing with subtle and sweet rum notes. The dessert tobacco.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
2.0
Brunello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brunello (75)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a rather generic cream Cavendish concoction that is probably sold to B&M shops for them to put a new name on. Burns steady and I never got any bite or gurgle, but for me the slightest tease of rum and muted flavors of cocoa and caramelized dark sugars are too lackluster to hold my attention. There are also a few minor flaws here: a subtle vegetative note, a scorched sugar note that takes on a slightly acrid edge, and an aftertaste that is somewhat unpleasant.

Since I am posting the first review here on TR I had to look around and see what other references there might be for this tobacco. It is widely sold on all the major online sites, and I did find consistently positive comments which were mostly single sentence statements like “I loved it.” I can only imagine this opinion derives from a very limited level of experience with what is available on the market. Yeah, if you’ve only ever smoked ten blends this might stand out as being awesome, but in my experience this is not all that awe inspiring.

If you are after an aromatic treat, something that will hold your interest, I recommend the following: If it’s creamy Opulence you’re after you’ve absolutely got to try Country Squire’s Choctaw. If you like honey flavors, none better than Boswell Honey Roast. If you like cherry flavor none better than Hobbit’s Weed. If you like Nutty flavors none better than Rivendell. What about maple? Autumn Evening. Want to keep it within the Sutliff/Mac Baren product line? Try MB Seven Seas Black. So many options better than Opulence.

By itself, it’s a safe two star rating, but obviously I won’t be ordering any more. If, like me, you get stuck with two ounces of this wondering how you’ll ever get through it all, I’ll say that because it has been only minimally treated with humectant (unlike some others I’ve reviewed this week!!) that makes it usable as a blender in my book. I mixed mine half and half with some Sutliff match ready rubbed and that nudged it closer to three stars for me. Heck, on sale I paid less than five bucks for two ounces, so I might as well have some fun with it. Not like I wasted money on some expensive unobtainium that I ended up not liking. Maybe you’ll enjoy it just the way it is, if not, just experiment with a few tweaks until you come up with something you like!