Blended ByJeremy Reeves
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Taste

The year 2020 Virginia red and orange tips are from one farm and the sugar content is 13.53 percent. They produce an abundance of mildly tart and very tangy ripe citrus, sugar, bread, grass, some tangy ripe dark fruit, earth, wood, floralness, vegetation, mild sour lemon, light spice, and small touches of vinegar and acidity. The strength is a step short of the medium mark. The taste is medium. The nic-hit is a slot below the overall strength level. There’s no chance bite or harshness. The typical Virginia rough notes are very light. The easily torn apart flakes are mildly moist. As is my usual custom, I did not dry them nor did I see a need to do so. Burns cool and clean at a slightly slow pace with a very consistent, smoother than expected, deep fruity, sugary, mildly sour, light sparkly flavor that extends to the lightly lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a notch stronger. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires a couple more than an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Four stars.

-JimInks

willie b Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
willie b (26)

my first bowel today. the description of dried cranberry is spot on for the tin note. at first, I was thinking raisin bran cereal. it does have that grass smell in the background but definitely cranberry. Near perfect moisture once rubbed out for me. first light was typical. a bit of sour and hay. after settling in burns quite well. a really good mouth feel. I am biased toward Virgina and this one is maybe the best going. the sweetness is well balanced with the tartness. don't think of sugar sweet but more than your average in a good leaf. the dried cranberry will come in mid bowel when sipped. as with most straight Virgina leaf sipping is best, or it can get harsh and charred tasting. patience with this one. C&D has a blend for everyone but not everyone do I care for. I do try to be objective and try as many as I can. This is the #1 so far. last year's sun bear was good after aging and i wont smoke this year's till next year. 2021 was good but not great. this red with some age should be top tier. it is close to that fresh out the tin. but remember the leaf is already two years old. if you have some enjoy it. I have two in my special place for a year or two later. with the number of choices out there I won't be so tempted to crack the open sooner. primarily a Balken/English smoker I do enjoy a good Virgina. well hell that's where I'm from. truly wish everyone could try this one. some of the small batch/limited editions are a lot of hype. not this one. worth three times the price or maybe more.

Pipe Used: Peterson xl90 Dracula.

Age When Smoked: fresh tin

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Similar Blends: none that I've tried..

StevieB (2056)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Cornell & Diehl - Carolina Red Flake 2022 (Small Batch).

Tin #14,300/15,000.

Quire dark for Virginia flakes. They have little pieces of yellow scattered across them, but the prominent colour's a darker brown. Smelling it brings hay and dark fruit to mind. This tin was a little moist, but not so much it needed airing.

This gets sweeter tasting as it gets further through a bowl. At the beginning, although it's sweet and fruity, there's a notable bready/doughy flavour. The fruitiness is more reminiscent of lush plums than citrus; any ''zest'' is a good pace behind. A gentle hay-like flavour is notable throughout a bowl, it doesn't make it too ''light'' a flavour but does reduce any chance of the fruity side seeming too clumsy. There's no issue with the burn, the smoke's very cool and I haven't had any tongue-bite.

Nicotine: not heavy. Room-note: very nice.

Red Flake 2022? A nice blend, no doubt, albeit I don't find it particularly exceptional. Three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Atlantic #999

cm1648 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cm1648 (99)

Prep: Typical C&D flake that easily breaks apart. Moisture is perfect. No need for drying out imo.

Notes: Wow, quite a spicy/peppery Virginia blend! I wasnt expecting that. This tangy, somewhat sweet, which their description of "dried cranberry" perfectly describes. Along with that, you find grassy, bready, and earthy notes. This isnt a sweet red Virginia blend like others on the market (Peretti's 150th Flake, Sutliff Red V blends, etc.). I enjoy the blend well enough but I'll be setting the rest aside for aging.

YouTube Video

Tomcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tomcat (201)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Cornell & Diehl Carolina Red Flake 2022- Sugary sweet and sour and grassy is what I get a lot of with this new release . It does have some of the cranberry with sourdough bread , spice and vinegar . I do prefer the Anthology and the 2021 CRF W/ Perique that also have these Red/Orange tips included. Still a good flake , but quite grassy and sour . Let’s see with time how it develops. 3

Rmsva Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rmsva (9)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I am very pleased with this blend. I was very sad that Anthology replaced the CRFwP this year but CRF2022 had more than made up for it. The lead note is something I have no was of identifying accurately, but it is a special thing. I’ve found that the note comes through Best when are taking your time, creating near whisp-like smoke.

I love VAs but I still wish all straight VAs could taste this good.