Varieties of matured and bright Virginias are mixed with a substantial amount of perique, so that it has the strength of the perique with the sweet smoothness of a fine Virginia blend.

BrandPeretti
Strength
Taste
Leon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leon (18)

Bought at the L.J. Peretti store in April 2019 and was told that it was a new blend. I stepped outside the store and had my first bowl in a Corn Cob. My first smoke was perfect. Excellent weather, no relights, just smoked the whole thing while watching people going in and out the Boston Commons. Whenever I smoke this blend I think about that specific visit to Boston and my first bowl of St. James.

Virginia is just a bit on the sweet citrus side, with the Perique just lightly complementing it, although it shows itself more towards the end. Not a complex blend, excellent for a hot day.

Smokes well, usually kept lit with some bowls requiring a few more relights. Sometimes can get hot, so smoke slow. For me was better to smoke in a small bowl. perfect moisture level from the store's jar, ready to pack and smoke.

All day, everyday blend.

Only downsides are the occasional heating up and the cut, which is somewhere between a broken flake and a ribbon, so not the smoothest packing and initial lighting. Aside from that, excellent blend that I'm sure will get better with aging. I buy an ounce or two every time that I visit Boston.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 242, assorted corn cobs

Purchased From: L.J. Peretti shop in Boston

Snake Bloat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Snake Bloat (4)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice broken flake VaPer. It has a bit too much moisture as it comes from the pouch. Some goo in the dottle resulting in mild steam burns to the roof of my mouth. Letting it dry for a few hours prior to loading the pipe should solve that problem. I didn’t experience any tongue bite. I like this blend and look forward to trying it in different pipes.

Ten days later: I put enough for two or three bowls in a small dish and leave it out overnight. Perfect! Burns clean; tastes good.

Pipe Used: B-C Rhodesian and others