BrandJohn Cotton
CutKrumble Kake
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

The smoky, woody, earthy, lightly musty, mildly incense sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component. The floral, earthy, woody, herbal, vegetative, dry, sour and lightly buttery sweet, spicy, tangy Orientals play a strong support role. The very nutty, earthy, woody, lightly molasses sweet burley is a secondary star. The red and brighter Virginias provide a lot of tart and tangy dark fruit and citrus, earth, wood, light grass, and a little "barbecue". They play just below the level of the burley, the red Virginia being little more prominent of the two. The strength and taste levels are a couple of steps short of medium. The nic-hit is a hair past the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, and due to the double pressing, has a lightly fermented, sugar, rather matured quality to it that moderately mellows out the experience. This blend barely has any rough edges due to that. Burns cool, clean and slow no matter how you break up the cake. You may prefer to give it a light dry time, but I did not. The mildly sweet and more savory, spicy, deeply rich, complex, well balanced flavors are very consistent from start to finish, and translate to the lightly lingering campfire after taste. The room note is a tad more pungent than what you taste. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl, and requires some relights. Can be an all day smoke for any level of smoker. Three and a half stars.

-JimInks

Indianapolis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Indianapolis (44)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Wow! What an interesting tobacco.

I'm a fan of the John Cotton blends, and saw this double-pressed latakia and had to try it. First, the bad news -- this is NOT a budget, bang-for-buck smoke. I paid $15 a tin for it, and got the smallest little nugget of crumble cake that I have ever received in a tin, ever. I will say, it is HIGHLY compressed, when I cut it it expands nicely, but I can't imagine I'll get more than 10 good sized bowls out of the tin.

Lucky for me, then, that I bought three tins. Because WOW. Talk about an evolving bowl. At first, the smokey sweet latakia takes the lead with the orientals coming in second. Frankly, my first thought was that this tasted like a mixture between Stimulus Package and Ten Russians. There's a certain "dry" "tannic" vibe to it (to use wine terms) that I've tasted in Stimulus Package. Lovely, and I would have said this was a great medium+ english with an oriental backbone.

But then, this tobacco really changes into the second half of the bowl. The orientals take a backseat to the burley, and the latakias mellow into a more condimental+ role. By the second half, I really felt like it was a combination of Stimulus Package and Triple Play. Fascinating. I'm not sure if the barbeque flavors came from burley itself or if there is some dark fired in there, but it definitely had that note about it. At that point, it backed off to a more medium strength and intensity.

Really a pleasure to smoke! Very complex, nice evolution through each bowl, a total pleasure. My three tins may not be close to enough.

Similar Blends: Stimulus Package, Ten Russians, Triple Play.