Cornell & Diehl's Wintertime Reserve: Nutcracker is a stout and portly blend of white, dark, and cube cut burley, combined with choice Virginias and a dash of perique. Pressed and sliced into delicate flakes. Best enjoyed after a good meal with friends and family.

Notes: A special, seasonal extension of the Small Batch line, all four Wintertime Reserve blends are crafted by hand, one small batch at a time, from recipes specially selected by head blender Jeremy Reeves. From a fragrant aromatic to English and Virginia staples, all these blends are pressed and cut into either flakes or old-fashioned crumble cakes, and packaged in special, festive tin art.

Blended ByJeremy Reeves
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2 ounce tin
Strength
Taste
Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (150)

I received a tin of this from Smokingpipes.com with the purchase of a Petersen during their sale. I liked it enough to pick up more when they offered it after the holidays for sale.

Typical C&D style broken flakes. Tin note def has the perique in it along with some nuttiness. Tobacco is good quality and the moisture was a little higher than some of their blends, but manageable.

I broke the flakes up and loaded one of my Fat Author Bones pipes. It took a little effort to get a good charring (needs to dry a little bit), but then it was easy to keep lit during the pipe.

Flavor was nutty (burleys), sweet (VAs) and a little spicy (periques). All three flavors continued throughout the pipe from start to finish and really complimented each other.

The tobacco reminds me of another CD blend or two, but I can't think which ones of the top of my head.

I'm aging the ones I picked up after the holidays and plan on having one during each Holiday season going foward. I'll update the review if the age makes a big difference.

Pipe Used: Small Bowl Canadian and Fat Author

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin (2019)